Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,156 members, 7,829,120 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. (41060 Views)

This Is What We Have Left In The Dating World,genz Baddies / Would you date an atheist? / My Experience As A Bar Man In A Lagos Brothel . ( Life lesson) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Babysho(m): 8:18pm On Oct 24, 2022
dhardline:
Will I say Nigerian atheist or atheist in general are a funny lot. How do you desire to have a 'decent' atheist as a girl friend?
Like who are you to require a standard for her when nothing rules her?
Or do you not know God gave man commandments on how to live life and be 'decent' and once God is removed man is free to make up his own rules as he lives and nothing becomes out of place for him. So just go ahead a marry any atheist you come across, she can decide to have 10 husband's and it's not out of place, she can decide to sleep with animals and it's still not out of place for her. She is ruled by nothing just as you claim you are too and hence free to do as she wills

Lol this is how Europeans sold Africans. They told us that we’re wild animals without the Ten Commandments and then proceeded side by side, the European churches and their govt enslaved African people for hundreds of years. What happened to their moral compass? Open your head

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by MeaslesMumpsRub: 8:28pm On Oct 24, 2022
NeckingNgulping:

Yeah, bro, all you have said are religious dogmatists' problems that i just can't wrap my head around. They're probably even more repulsive than atheists, at least to most of us.

A close-mindedness that amounts to an imprisonment so total that the prisoner doesn’t even know they're locked up.

About your last paragraph, i find it so hilarious. It's a truth they can't deny.

It is true and God loves people who constantly repent.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by suicidesheep: 8:48pm On Oct 24, 2022
leye4u:

Who created the moral values you talking about...is it the govt? Outside of religion,the word morality doesn't exist,it's only a figment of your imagination...lol

We as humans create moral values for ourselves as time goes on, you’re a Christian, at some point it was morally right to stone an adulterer to death but now no one does that. Why, because times have change. If religion gave us morals, it wouldn’t change from time to time
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Basiljoe: 8:50pm On Oct 24, 2022
"There is no Quality Woman, that’s an idealization. Some are better than others of course, but you don’t find the perfect woman, you make the perfect woman." - Book 1, RM

"The good girl’s Game is built around playing to the ‘Quality Woman’ mythos that men harbor. They want to believe she exists among a sea of vapid, self-absorbed sluts looking to cash in before they hit the wall." - RM

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by suicidesheep: 8:50pm On Oct 24, 2022
Asour:

There are no good people. Just decent ones.
Only God is good.

That’s your own believe, they are good people just as they are bad people. Don’t try to change the word to something else, God is good? Lol, I wonder if you’ve read the Old Testament

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Babysho(m): 8:55pm On Oct 24, 2022
Buliwyf:

Wetin we go do na? If we leave them to run rampant here hoping they will check Google later they will just end up perpetuating foolishness in the name of religion. You need to refute their claims intelligently not because of them only but because of other impressionable people that will read the brain-rot they wrote and think it is a sound argument because no one demonstrated an ability to refute it.

cheesy cheesy
You don’t even know what you’re up against. Religion is such a strong drug!

My theory is that since all humans are different, and among us there will be those that the Bible gives them validation that they’re actually the best of humans and they truly believe it.

For example, if the Bible says don’t wear what belongs to a man, and a young Christian girl who has innate girly features and hated the idea of dressing like a man even before reading the Bible reads that, she’ll hold on to the Bible tight. You can’t tell her otherwise.

The Bible bodes well for their character.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 9:04pm On Oct 24, 2022
dhardline:

You can go ahead and call me all that you want still does not change the fact that you really have so much that you are yet to understand about my statement. Do you think those who sleep with animals feel they are in the wrong? Or do you think those who go ahead to have a sex change feel they are in the wrong or the average Joe who lies to get what he wants think he's in the wrong. You really need the learn the nature of man and he's capabilities, how man naturally seeks to live a life in which he gives no account to anyone. How what you regard to be 'morals' can become really fluid in the mind of a man who has nothing governing his mind.

P. S. I am a Christian! tongue

I think you're mistaking a person without any guiding principles for a person who doesn't believe in God. Your view of man seems very biased, a thing that easily happens to people too clouded by religious dogmas. Take a look around you and you'll realize that a lot of people are innately good, they want to help others if they can, and while there are a few bad apples, a lot more people are good hearted.

But the thing however is that they are not likely to do things if it doesn't benefit them. And this is a trait that is in everyone.

While I don't agree with the stance that there is no God, I do have to say that the speed and manner in which heavily religious people disparage others who don't agree with the views is quite unfitting. The goal of religion is to bring one closer to God, and as far as all can see, God is very open minded (if not all these atheist for don die), and I feel like that is a standard worth emulating.

In fact, this is a trait exhibited by a lot of high standing religious people. They have a breath of mind that is truly wide.

P.S. I'm not saying the atheist are any better, some of them can be truly bigoted as well.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by omonnakoda: 9:10pm On Oct 24, 2022
BobbieZion:

God is not a Man.......take it or leave it.

If i don't believe in anything then i am worse than an animal.
That means all i will do is eat, shit and sleep?
You are entitled to speak for yourself alone
How is all you do more than eat shit and sleep anywhere other than in your mind > There have been billions of people before you on this planet and today there is no trace of them

The human ego has a need to be significant but the reality is very different

This earth has been here a very long time even before humans appeared. We are really not that important in the whole existence. Just like last years mangoes that are forgotten so with everyone so with the flood we are now lamenting
Everything will disappear
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by elonize(m): 9:22pm On Oct 24, 2022
NeckingNgulping:
I'm an atheist, and I found that I'm incapable of dating women who are particularly religious. I could go out on a date with a religious woman, and that's usually solely by merit of me pretending the whole time as though I'm truly in for it.

Since long term relationship with these women would have necessitated that i make pretence a hobby, logic sets in and we inevitably part ways.

In a highly religious country like ours, it's quite hard to find a woman who's an atheist as me, let alone a decent one.

ur looking for a decent girl n most of dem r Christians depending on d region.
Y don't look u hard for dat fellow aethist na.
U dey find Christian girl u 1 put for battle.
N besides, kerosene n water don't mix.u will bring dat girl down because u were sent by d devil to do such.
Am a sinner ,but let d truth b told. No parents wen b real Christian go let their pikin marry aethist.even her pastor won't allow it.
A girl dat knows a man is a chronic womanizer n still went ahead to marry him,because she wants to change him.
She will suffer.
Better follow ur kind.if u no c...lock up.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by omonnakoda: 9:24pm On Oct 24, 2022
As far as topic is concerned.
if you have money and you worship a goat publicly you will still get women in Nigeria
You can marry a wife everyday of the week like Ooni of Ife

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by ObalendeCMS: 9:32pm On Oct 24, 2022
dhardline:
Will I say Nigerian atheist or atheist in general are a funny lot. How do you desire to have a 'decent' atheist as a girl friend?
Like who are you to require a standard for her when nothing rules her?
Or do you not know God gave man commandments on how to live life and be 'decent' and once God is removed man is free to make up his own rules as he lives and nothing becomes out of place for him. So just go ahead a marry any atheist you come across, she can decide to have 10 husband's and it's not out of place, she can decide to sleep with animals and it's still not out of place for her. She is ruled by nothing just as you claim you are too and hence free to do as she wills.

You don’t need religion to know and do what is “right”.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 9:34pm On Oct 24, 2022
Nosayer:

Really? So many comments on this Nairaland that attempt to show philosophical Ideologies without any depth.

If there is no one setting moral standard, then, morality is objective. And if morality is objective, then it's supposed to be voluntary. Isn't that the argument for a lot of sexual-related issues we have around.

As for the conscience, how do humans have conscience when they're just higher animals? Who gave them the conscience?

Morality is always objective, like right and wrong. You may think your way of doing something is right, another may think it's wrong.

A lot of people agree that killing another is wrong, it doesn't matter if you are religious or not. Even Christianity agrees with this.

Now consider this situation, an individual wants to take the life of someone close to you, or even yours. In such a situation would you allow them to be killed, considering that this man won't stop unless he is dead? Or would you just allow yourself to die?

Let's say you defend yourself and you killed the man in the process, have you done wrong? After all you were only defending yourself or another close to you.

Or perhaps 2 children are playing and by mistake on kills the other, is the child that killed in the wrong?

It doesn't matter how hard and fast you want your rules of morality to be, it will always be subjective, because unlike facts and figures, each situation is unique and should be considered while taking in the details of the circumstances in which they occurred.

Consider this situation, Someone attacks you, and on the basis that he might come back for you or your loved one in the future you kill him, even when there was a higher chance he wouldn't have. In this case are you in the right? After all you are also protecting yourself or your loved ones.

Or you preemptively attack and kill someone because in future they would be a threat to you, even when the person is too young to do even be aware of it.

It doesn't matter what belief you hold, a lot of people would know what is right or wrong in all these situations, though some are harder to determine than others. If you require a religion to tell you what is right and wrong, then I agree that there is something wrong with you, but having or believing in said religion also means that there is nothing wrong with you.

Recognizing ones faults and dealing with them however we can is a hall mark of being a human (even though we don't deal with it in the best way everytime)

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by AmuRubber(m): 9:38pm On Oct 24, 2022
Nosayer:

You dey mind am ni? He wants us to know he's an atheist because of the presupposition (which is false) that atheists are usually brillant.

The present Nigeria is a country where a lot of people (educated and illiterate) are trying to get rid of the idea of gods so that they can do what they like. Nigerian girls as at this time, play the front row in this.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by dhardline(m): 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2022
kingxsamz:

Like he said, if you need religion to prevent you from sleeping with animals, you're sick.

Then you still do not understand your nature as a person! These arguments are basic and I'm just so surprised that so many people do not even understand these simple principles. Young man/woman, you are capable of the worst evil you can think of if the perfect circumstances presents itself. The only thing that keeps you right now from doing it is what is known as the 'common Grace of God'. Just a little brainwashing in your music, movies, books, news etc and a man who has not God but thinks he has morals will dance to the tune of what is being propagated irrespective of what it maybe. We easily forget as a people that the same morals we think Africans had before the coming of the Europeans allowed then to kill twins, bury men alive with kings and preyed on the weak in the society. Y'all need to wake up really.
Maybe I'll have to explain how standards work! Who knows. undecided
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 9:47pm On Oct 24, 2022
uche40:

Lol. If atheism is a religion, then I guess silence is a sound grin.

Silence is a sound, the same way nobody is a person (even though the definitions say otherwise).

After all people wouldn't say all I heard was silence. Or Nobody listened.

If silence wasn't a sound how could you hear it?

If Nobody wasn't a person how could it listen?

While everybody didn't listen feels very awkward, I feel it carries more weight than nobody listened.

After all the former tells you that all the people didn't pay attention while the latter says a non-entity did.

It's just a few things I think about, don't have to accept it.

But I'll end with this

In mathematics the definition of a set also includes the empty set, which is meant to contain nothing. An empty set is also an item within the set.

So in "Everybody didn't listen," even that which is nobody didn't listen
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by dhardline(m): 9:48pm On Oct 24, 2022
Namdio:

I think you're mistaking a person without any guiding principles for a person who doesn't believe in God. Your view of man seems very biased, a thing that easily happens to people too clouded by religious dogmas. Take a look around you and you'll realize that a lot of people are innately good, they want to help others if they can, and while there are a few bad apples, a lot more people are good hearted.

But the thing however is that they are not likely to do things if it doesn't benefit them. And this is a trait that is in everyone.

While I don't agree with the stance that there is no God, I do have to say that the speed and manner in which heavily religious people disparage others who don't agree with the views is quite unfitting. The goal of religion is to bring one closer to God, and as far as all can see, God is very open minded (if not all these atheist for don die), and I feel like that is a standard worth emulating.

In fact, this is a trait exhibited by a lot of high standing religious people. They have a breath of mind that is truly wide.

P.S. I'm not saying the atheist are any better, some of them can be truly bigoted as well.

Do you really believe the bolded deep down, even as a Nigerian lipsrsealed! Let me remind you of the savage nature of man, look back to the end Sars riots. How we saw even the average Joe rushing into malls just to steal what does not belong to them. How people looted trucks carrying goods, warehouses etc. This is just a tip of what man is capable of if presented with the right circumstances. So the bolded statement is total fallacy.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 9:49pm On Oct 24, 2022
kingxsamz:

It's not even about cultural values. It's acknowledging the fact that those things bring pain to other people. It's just as simple as that.

Person wey sabi
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by MamaletASO: 9:49pm On Oct 24, 2022
You are a gay

grin grin grin
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Workch: 9:57pm On Oct 24, 2022
I am irreligious, I have 5 girlfriends, all are religious.
See, it depends on how you do your package. All these girls know the kinda person that I am and they would never leave.
These girls nowadays no care if you be atheist, as long as you have money you or have charisma.

I know how many religious girls want Bleep me like this but I dey run
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 9:59pm On Oct 24, 2022
dhardline:

Do you really believe the bolded deep down, even as a Nigerian lipsrsealed! Let me remind you of the savage nature of man, look back to the end Sars riots. How we saw even the average Joe rushing into malls just to steal what does not belong to them. How people looted trucks carrying goods, warehouses etc. This is just a tip of what man is capable of if presented with the right circumstances. So the bolded statement is total fallacy.

I think you need to look deeper than what took place, and farther than that moment. Understand why it happened.

I believe that there is always a build up to any situation, it doesn't just happen out of nowhere. Why would people who were able to take care of their needs rush to the streets to steal from others?

Even you yourself said under the right circumstances, meaning that such an event is isolated and differs from the norm, after all if the norm was the right circumstances then won't everyone be looting everyday?

What the EndSars riots shows is the universal Law of Balance. You can't treat people badly and expect that they will take it lying down forever. When children shout at their parents, it is an explosion of pent up resentment and suppressed anger which hasn't been allowed to be expressed.

Nigerians have suffered many injustices over the course of her history especially in the last few years before it. And this was just an outlet for all the pent up feelings that people had harboured.

A societal level recreation of the child shouting at the parent.

Also man always looks to benefit himself, and those he considers as his own. The widening of that scope of who one's own is, is a sign of spiritual maturity, culminating in the point of viewing all people as your own people, family and even as one's self. This is independent of religion but succinctly captured by Jesus and the Bible in the statement of "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 10:03pm On Oct 24, 2022
cayorday89:

I have no issues with what you wrote except that even the so called religious folks you are trying to defend are not any better as most are guilty of all that you listed there.

Except we want to deceive ourselves, it's better you deal with people based on their personality irrespective of their religious affiliations to avoid dissappoinment. Religion helps to curtail all that you put up there but an individual has his or her own mind which most times takes precedent over spirituality.

I would like to add that the mind always takes precedence over spirituality. It is you deciding to follow it and not it controlling you to obey.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Melagros(m): 10:09pm On Oct 24, 2022
Peterrio:
Some might not be very religious, but their thought patterns are still warped in religion.

The very religious ones can even be a challenge to Christian guys

One thing that amazes me from time to time is that they can partake freely in fornication and adultery, while holding the religion very tight
I dey tell you, God bless you for this one
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 10:16pm On Oct 24, 2022
Babysho:

Lol this is how Europeans sold Africans. They told us that we’re wild animals without the Ten Commandments and then proceeded side by side, the European churches and their govt enslaved African people for hundreds of years. What happened to their moral compass? Open your head

What I find funny about comments like this is that people fail to realize that Christianity is not originally European.

Islam and Christianity have the same ancestor, Judaism. Hence Christianity is actually Asian, just like Islam.

The thing is that at it's formation Rome was in power in it's locality, so it quickly spread westward, instead of eastward.

So the same Christianity the Europeans used to subjugate Africans, someone else used to subjugate them.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Asour: 10:23pm On Oct 24, 2022
suicidesheep:

That’s your own believe, they are good people just as they are bad people. Don’t try to change the word to something else, God is good? Lol, I wonder if you’ve read the Old Testament

It's not my opinion. See attached.

People DO GOOD deeds but they aren't INHERENTLY good.
Only God's truly good.
I hope you don't find out the hard way.

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by kingxsamz(m): 10:29pm On Oct 24, 2022
dhardline:

Then you still do not understand your nature as a person! These arguments are basic and I'm just so surprised that so many people do not even understand these simple principles. Young man/woman, you are capable of the worst evil you can think of if the perfect circumstances presents itself. The only thing that keeps you right now from doing it is what is known as the 'common Grace of God'. Just a little brainwashing in your music, movies, books, news etc and a man who has not God but thinks he has morals will dance to the tune of what is being propagated irrespective of what it maybe. We easily forget as a people that the same morals we think Africans had before the coming of the Europeans allowed then to kill twins, bury men alive with kings and preyed on the weak in the society. Y'all need to wake up really.
Maybe I'll have to explain how standards work! Who knows. undecided

Man, you need to stop explaining yourself because it's almost as if you're typing in parables. undecided
Humans have always had morals before the invention of whatever it is you believe in.
You dont need laws, prison, religion, bible or a god before you know you shouldn't do certain things.
Even inside that your Bible, the Christian god commanded men to slaughter babies, accepted human sacrifice, ordered a man to slaughter his son to prove loyalty to him, forcefully hardened a man's heart so he could have an excuse to kill the first born of every child in a country, sent bears to devour children, made a bet with his own enemy to kill his devoted follower's children just to prove a point, commanded men to capture people's lands and keep the women and girls for themselves, gave instructions to slaves on how to be obedient, drowned millions of people because he was annoyed.

Bro, you, a Christian of all people should be the last person talking about morals abeg.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by kingxsamz(m): 10:32pm On Oct 24, 2022
Asour:

It's not my opinion. See attached.

People DO GOOD deeds but they aren't INHERENTLY good.
Only God's truly good.
I hope you don't find out the hard way.
Please let me ask you.
Is it good to order men to slaughter children and babies? Give a direct answer and don't go through Corners.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 10:35pm On Oct 24, 2022
kingxsamz:

accepted human sacrifice, ordered a man to slaughter his son to prove loyalty to him,

God never asked for human sacrifice, (the only thing I can think of was a case where a man promised God the first thing that came out to meet him, and it was his only daughter, poor guy)

Abraham didn't kill the Isaac in the end, so...

Also, it wasn't an order it was a request

But I don't think I'm qualified enough to refute you arguments well
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Asour: 10:35pm On Oct 24, 2022
kingxsamz:

Please let me ask you.
Is it good to order men to slaughter children and babies? Give a direct answer and don't go through Corners.

No. It's not good.
Why do you ask?
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Namdio(m): 10:37pm On Oct 24, 2022
Lol, I feel like you've stepped into a trap
Asour:

No. It's not good. Why do you ask?
Lol, I feel like you've stepped into a trap

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by kingxsamz(m): 10:43pm On Oct 24, 2022
LadyExcellency:
Imagine acclaimed Atheists praying to an unknown God when the bus they are traveling with somersaults.

There are no Atheists in Nigeria. Humanist - Yes but the denial of the existence of a supreme being is out of hatred for religious people.

An Atheist and you believe in the intervention of your ancestors in your difficult situations. Continue the lies.

Do you even know who an atheist is? Do you even know one in real life? Where are you people even getting this idea that atheists pray to a god during an accident? How many accidents have you encountered? Do you people think at all? undecided

5 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by dhardline(m): 10:43pm On Oct 24, 2022
kingxsamz:

Man, you need to stop explaining yourself because it's almost as if you're typing in parables. undecided
Humans have always had morals before the invention of whatever it is you believe in.
You dont need laws, prison, religion, bible or a god before you know you shouldn't do certain things.
Even inside that your Bible, the Christian god commanded men to slaughter babies, accepted human sacrifice, ordered a man to slaughter his son to prove loyalty to him, forcefully hardened a man's heart so he could have an excuse to kill the first born of every child in a country, sent bears to devour children, made a bet with his own enemy to kill his devoted follower's children just to prove a point, commanded men to capture people's lands and keep the women and girls for themselves, gave instructions to slaves on how to be obedient, drowned millions of people because he was annoyed.

Bro, you, a Christian of all people should be the last person talking about morals abeg.

When people make this statements all I see is the total warped understanding of the scriptures. Hopefully one day you'll build/make/design something with your hands that you are meant to use, when that thing whatsoever it is stops serving its intended purpose I wonder if it would dictate to you what you'll do with it next.

You have not even started to scratch the surface of how great God is.

But Really you are right though on the part that I should stop explaining to you because you would not understand because it has not been given to you to understand.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply)

Stuffs You Miss When You Have A Girlfriend! / Is It Advisable To Marry A Girl Who Has Sent You A Nude Picture Online Before? / 10 Reasons Why I Don't Indulge In Indiscriminate Sex.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.