Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,897 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

“I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up (50462 Views)

Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties / Royal Wedding 2018: Prince Harry To Wed Meghan Markle / Kate Middleton, Duchess Of Cambridge Gives Birth To A Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Reflect7: 1:22am On Oct 26, 2022
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Reflect7: 1:40am On Oct 26, 2022
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by meobizy(f): 1:41am On Oct 26, 2022
Meghan Markle, has dropped a new revelation about her genealogy, and it is exciting news for Nigerians
E no concern me and e no suppose concern us. She’ll use the revelation to serve her selfish tendencies and wouldn’t care to further advance the country with her power.

The announcement has stirred reactions in the Nigerian social media space, with many expressing their willingness to receive the Duchess with open arms
All these low self esteem Yoruba boys littering cyberspace will never fail to disgrace me.

an announcement that has been met with jubilation and applause from many Nigerians.
Either the British press is lying again or they’re covertly declaring “your ‘people’ are a lot and thriving, join them and leave us alone.”

The main question is, why now? Trust Meghan to want to keep her name in the news. She lived forty-one years without caring. What will another thirty years of ignorance take from her? Likely the royal family repeatedly calling her that word gave her a change of heart. Trust me, this news changes nothing.
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by OloshoSiofra: 1:46am On Oct 26, 2022
SmartPolician:

Just tell her to come so we can trade places.

No dey follow me dey argue; do as you have been instructed.
Prince Harry for the Bleep your toto right now grin
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by OloshoSiofra: 1:48am On Oct 26, 2022
Himtulie247:
angry So Make we fry Beans undecided
Add 1 sachet of pure water inside so that the beans can be ready to serve Nnamdi Kanu in DSS custody grin

Watery beans Amaka grin grin grin
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by grafixdon: 1:55am On Oct 26, 2022
Her names sounds yoruba... Oluwaomeghan
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by cescky(m): 2:02am On Oct 26, 2022
Corridon:
Shatap. She is Igbo.

jokes aside her mum, who is black looks quite igbo....very positive , imo state specifically
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by africandollar: 2:20am On Oct 26, 2022
No wonder she dey press the neck of the monarchy wella grin...it's in the blood. The daughter of the slaves they took has now come to marry one of their monarchs. tongue
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by MeaslesMumpsRub: 2:42am On Oct 26, 2022
Urheadmaster:
She should be grateful she escaped from the zoo tongue undecided

Look at this one his father's House a Zoo
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Yankee101: 3:00am On Oct 26, 2022
U discovered years ago, why now?
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Nauttyprof(m): 3:06am On Oct 26, 2022
Urheadmaster:
She should be grateful she escaped from the zoo tongue undecided

The Zoo you are in. This also suggest that you are an animal.
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by blingxx(m): 3:11am On Oct 26, 2022
vanunu:
Are you Igbo, Hausa , Yoruba ,Idioms Or Efik?.
There is nothing like being a Nigerian in the real sense.

You are one of the reasons why the Whites don't take us seriously
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by mimicherry: 3:13am On Oct 26, 2022
meobizy:
E no concern me and e no suppose concern us. She’ll use the revelation to serve her selfish tendencies and wouldn’t care to further advance the country with her power.

All these low self esteem Yoruba boys littering cyberspace will never fail to disgrace me.

Either the British press is lying again or they’re covertly declaring “your ‘people’ are a lot and thriving, join them and leave us alone.”

The main question is, why now? Trust Meghan to want to keep her name in the news. She lived forty-one years without caring. What will another thirty years of ignorance take from her? Likely the royal family repeatedly calling her that word gave her a change of heart. Trust me, this news changes nothing.
C'mon
Check very well
It's your ibo brothers that are more excited about the news than anybody
yorubas don't even care
Infact they think she's been funny or trying to attract sympathy from Nigerians
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by FireUpNow(m): 3:14am On Oct 26, 2022
Dreal1247:
Them go soon pursue you comot for royal family. If you know, you know.
is Rishi not an Indian who is the current Pam of the UK? If Merkle has some Nigerian ancestry it's not bad
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by blingxx(m): 3:14am On Oct 26, 2022
Reflect7:

GOD BLESS YOU. MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY.

AS I LOOKED AT HER PICTURE NOW, I JUST THOUGHT, 'THIS ONE IS CALABAR GIRL'.

HER ANCESTORS WERE TAKEN FROM THERE.

Chai grin cheesy black man I hail una .. cuz of the statement she made now you don rush claim her , highiest level of inferiority complex bruh Dey try get small pride

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Urheadmaster(m): 3:40am On Oct 26, 2022
Nauttyprof:

The Zoo you are in. This also suggest that you are an animal.

For your mind

I am in far away Germany madafuka tongue undecided
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Spectrum22: 4:00am On Oct 26, 2022
The stuffs Andrew Tate said about this woman are simply shocking!

1 Like

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Nauttyprof(m): 4:05am On Oct 26, 2022
Urheadmaster:

For your mind

I am in far away Germany madafuka tongue undecided

It doesn't still excludes you being an animal. As you remain a Nigerian irrespective of your current location.

1 Like

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Dchampion65: 4:47am On Oct 26, 2022
Dreal1247:
Them go soon pursue you comot for royal family. If you know, you know.

That is a fact.

Pursue is even better than an arranged death by accident
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by juman(m): 5:00am On Oct 26, 2022
Good to know, your highnesses ma.
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by windvane(m): 5:07am On Oct 26, 2022
IgOga:
Who Meghan dey deceive? Her papa na full white man....she dey always try to hide that fact to claim black woman
let’s just put,she dey use Nigerians catch cruise and Nigerians will not ask questions.na so cardi b use dem catch cruise the other time..

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by anonimi: 5:31am On Oct 26, 2022
MarveworldG:
We all want to identify with a great nation.

What is this your lame attempt to make a joke
Anyway, ThiefNuibu and Fashola are amused.

itubaba001:
Lagos, the commercial hub of Nigeria, has been ranking as one of the worst places to live in the world for the nine straight years, a BusinessDay analysis shows.

Data from the 2019 Global Liveability Index published by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), the world’s leader in global business intelligence, shows the city has been within the range of 137th-139th position out of a total of 140 cities in the world from year 2011-2019.

Last year, Nigeria overtook India as the country with the largest number of people living in extreme poverty, thereby becoming the world capital of poverty, according to the Brookings Institute. This year, the number has risen to 91.6 million from 87 million in June 2018. Every minute, six Nigerians enter the group of extremely poor people, according to the World Poverty Clock.

https://businessday.ng/uncategorized/article/lagos-ranks-amongst-worst-cities-to-live-in-for-nine-straight-years/

SB2020:
Interesting facts about Addis Ababa and Lagos light rail projects.

Addis Ababa / Lagos
Cost == $475Million / $1.2Billion
Length == 34km / 27km
Time to Complete == 4years / 7years (projected)
Year Awarded == 2011 / 2008 (Construction began 2010)
Contractor == China Railway Eng. Corp (CREC) /Chinese Civil Eng. Constr. Coy (CCECC)
Population == 5Million / 20Million

Ethiopia has managed to deliver Sub-Saharan Africa’s first modern light rail project which opened in the capital Addis Ababa on Sunday, and in the process, beat Lagos whose own rail project remains four years behind schedule.

Ethiopia’s rail project was delivered on time, despite its being longer than the Lagos – Badagry rail line currently under construction.

Addis Ababa’s two line 34-kilometre system was built by the China Railway Engineering Corporation (CREC) and cost $475m, 85 percent of which has been covered by China’s Exim bank. The Lagos Light Rail Project or Blue on Badagry Expressway, was to have 13 stations from Okokomaiko to Marina via Iddo for a total of 27 kilometres.

The contract was awarded to the Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) at the cost of $1.2 billion in 2008, and was to be delivered in 2011. Survey work took one year between August 2009 and August 2010 while construction began July 2010.

The work is being implemented using the public and private partnership (PPP) model, whereby the state builds the infrastructure and the private sector provides the rolling stock and management. However, the project has not worked out according to the plan.
The 2011 deadline was missed, even though the State government got a loan to fund the project.

Source
http://businessdayonline.com/2015/09/addis-ababa-beats-lagos-to-light-rail-as-construction-delays-mount/

1 Like

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by anonimi: 5:35am On Oct 26, 2022
juman:
Good to know, your highnesses ma.

Why do we want something that we have not worked for? Something that we have contributed nothing to

anonimi:
David Hundeyin
May 4, 2022

I want to sell a script to a Hollywood studio. The story is about a guy who owns a farm that constantly runs at a loss but never quite shuts down.

The farm is massive and underutilised, and the protagonist has all the opportunities in the world to improve its output and get a bumper harvest.

He has access to credit, machinery, free irrigation and gifts from neighbouring farmers, but all he ever does with these things is drink and smoke them away while his family suffers.

Nigeria has refused to grow up and achieve something, but it somehow feels as if it is living vicariously through the achievements of its estranged children around the world

Apart from drinking, smoking and generally being utterly useless, his other pastime is to pump out children at an industrial rate. Needless to say, he takes no care of his children whatsoever, and many of them fail to survive childhood.

Those who do survive have to leave the farm and hire themselves out as hired labour to the neighbouring farmers, having picked up some survival skills from home.

With time, a number of them rise through the ranks and become senior managers, directors and even shareholders in these other farms while their father continues mismanaging his farm.

When good news about some of these successful children gets home, their father is filled with pride and joy, but when they end up on the wrong side of life, he acts as if he never knew them.

The successful ones make efforts to revamp their childhood home by sending back money and volunteering their skills and time, but all this guy ever wants to do is be a 62-year-old underachieving idiot carried through life by charity and luck.

Famzing” diaspora success is dishonest
I’m sure before the end of the second paragraph, you figured out whose story I was telling. The 62-year story of post-independence Nigeria — which the Hollywood studio would surely reject for being too sad with no redemption — is that of our fictional antihero.

Nigeria has refused to grow up and achieve something, but it somehow feels as if it is living vicariously through the achievements of its estranged children around the world.

Remember how everyone from corporate brands to Abike Dabiri made a big song and dance about supporting Anthony Joshua the “Nigerian,” whose only chance to become someone in life came when his parents emigrated from Nigeria?

Remember how things turned when he somehow lost against that chubby Mexican dude whose name I can’t remember? Remember when the Super Falcons won the female AFCON title and received a congratulatory tweet from the president, only for them to have to stage a protest before being paid their camp allowances?

That’s what we do in Nigeria. We try to live vicariously through the achievements of people who have achieved great things under their own steam, simply because said people happen to be called ‘Ifeoma,’ ‘Efe’ and ‘Ayotunde.’

Even when Nigeria had absolutely nothing to do with said success, or in fact happened in spite of Nigeria, as with Divine Oduduru, we bask in the reflected glory of their personal achievements.

Sometimes when those people wear a Nigerian flag or post something about Wizkid or Jollof Rice on Instagram, we go crazy with the Nigerian flag emojis because oh my god, they identify with us!

This is not about being a Killjoy
Somehow, the complete failure of Nigeria and our complicity in its failure is more bearable when we point at Nigerian immigrants doing great things in life and say “I knew Femi before he started calling himself Anthony.

His father and I were classmates in Aiyetoro.” It is unclear how exactly this helps our situation but hey, it’s also unclear how chugging the amount of alcohol we do helps either.

Escapism is a key part of our culture, and anyone who dissents must be a non-Jollof-eating, vegetarian heretic, and possibly also an atheist.

Now while all this is painfully cringey to my eyes, some will also point out that Nigeria is not the only country that has a weird obsession with its diaspora population.

Even ‘first-world’ countries like Ireland continue to have deep emotional and economic connections to their diaspora, and in any case Nigerians proudly supporting Anthony Joshua or the NBA’s Giannis Ante…African-sounding-name is basically harmless fun. They’re not hurting anyone. Why be such a killjoy, David?

The reason this matters can be found in a quote that has been dubiously attributed to Russian President Vladmir Putin, where he describes Africa as the place where its diaspora does not invest in, but returns to only to die and be buried with their ancestors.

While there is no concrete evidence that Mr. Putin ever actually made that comment, the truth in it is painfully poignant.

For diaspora success to be meaningful to Nigeria, it must correlate to on-ground results in Nigeria. The example of Somalia shows that having a well-educated, globally successful diaspora while being an absolute basket case are both possible at the same time.

I’d imagine we do not aspire to be Somalia.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by jaytee01(m): 5:41am On Oct 26, 2022
chimaroka60:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTtAE9baFQ0

The Minister of State for Health, Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora, has dismissed Peter Obi’s chances of winning the 2023 presidential election.

Mamora likened the Labour Party’s flagbearer’s candidacy to independent candidacy in America which has never produced a president.

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by budusky05(m): 5:58am On Oct 26, 2022
The babe resemble Anambra girl
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Blankstare(m): 6:28am On Oct 26, 2022
Kavod:

ONLY IF NIGERIAN YOUTHS KNOW THE POWER THEY YIELD...... YOU SEE THIS COUNTRY I FIT BET YOU SAY JESUS GO PREFER NIGERIANS TO THE SO-CALLED JEWS ANYTIME AND BACK TO BACK, BUT UNCLE LULU HOLD ALL OF UNA FOR NECK, OUR ANCESTORS FOLLOW AM DISTRACT UNA. SEE GUY MAN, NIGERIANS DE VERY ENHANCED SPIRITUALLY AND PHYSICALLY THAN ANY NATION ON EARTH. OK WHY ALL OF THEM BLACK CELEBRITIES LIKE TO CLAIM THEM BE FROM HERE? FROM BOXING TO FOOTBALL TO BASKET BALL TO RAPPERS TO POP TO ETC ETC.
WHY NONE COME FROM SOMALIA, GHANA, ZAMBIA, KENYA, ETHIOPIA, EVEN CANADA, EVEN AMERICA, EVEN UK, EVEN RUSSIA, EVEN ETC ETC. THE ONLY WAY NIGERIANS LEARN IS WITH INTENSE PAIN. I WANT OBI TO WIN, I BET YOU EVERYTHING WOULD FALL APART. LIKE THIS BEFORE YOU VOTE A CAPITALIST AND A VERY INEXPERIENCED DEPUTY, MAKE EVERYBODY GO BAM, BECAUSE CAPITALIST ARE CRUEL AND CHARMING INFILTRATORS AND WOULD ALWAYS CAPITALIZE ON YOUR SUFFERING, PAINS AMD REGRET.

Most things I have done and achieved were through pains... You are right. Sometimes I ask myself if there will ever be end in sight?
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by AishaDant(f): 6:33am On Oct 26, 2022
IgOga:
Who Meghan dey deceive? Her papa na full white man....she dey always try to hide that fact to claim black woman

Dumb comment. She didn't hide anything. Her father was absent in her life. Smh

1 Like

Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by nony43(m): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2022
IgOga:

One of the problems she had with the royals is because she has a black descendant.
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Corridon: 6:41am On Oct 26, 2022
diplomat058:

Hahaha Emeka the Ipob impostor baaastard clown, are you no longer Saburi from Osun? cheesy
Read and comprehend first before spewing trash. I said I've stayed in the north before doesn't mean I'm from there. I'm from Ilesha Osun state.
Re: “I'm 43% Nigerian” - Duchess Of Sussex Meghan Markle Stirs Reactions, Opens Up by Kwestionair: 6:42am On Oct 26, 2022
SmartPolician:
While some of us are trying to japa from this contraption and deny our links to Nigeria, this rich, popular and comfortable princess is trying to identify with the shithole. This is the real irony of life.

It’s easier to identify as Nigerian from the abroad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Putin Tells West 'go To Hell' In The Wake Of Nuclear Weapons Transfer To Belarus / Anna Tereshkova Strips Off In Snow To Encourage Toughness, She Gets Criticized / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.