Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? (70640 Views)

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:27am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

Oga you people should stop this cock and bull story. Majority of oyibo don't have 10000 USD in their bank account?

How do you know this? Tell me. You people talk all this nonsense about mortgage and loans, you think anybody can go to a bank and get any loan they want.

You dont know loans are means tested. When you see someone living in 2m dollar house, they put it in 20% of that money down to begin with which is 400k. Then what ever job they have must be able to cover three times the mortgage payment that is how mortgages are means tested. If you go to any major city in the world the majority of houses there are over 800K , from Melbourne, to Toronto, to New York and even Sydney.

Many Nigerian immigrants but houses that are at least 600K. 10% down is 60K which can build a house in most areas in Nigeria. After that down payment most of us pay a mortgage of nearly 3200 every month comfortably because banks will not give you a mortgage you can't pay comfortably. Again keep deceiving yourself but at least don't deceive people.

I don't have any issues with y'all saying these things to convince yourself you are better off in Nigeria but you are deceiving other Nigerians

I was being generous with the conversion, 7m is not up to 10000usd in the black market where majority of Nigerians buy dollars
but a recent survey says 70 percent of American don't have 1000,,USD to cover an emergency .so you where be migrant dey work like donkey no agree with the statistics the oyinbo put
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:29am On Nov 06, 2022
Munamoqel:
but a recent survey says 70 percent of American don't have 1000,,USD to cover an emergency .so you where be migrant dey work like donkey no agree with the statistics the oyinbo put

I will be happy to see that survey. Also so you educate yourself, savings in a bank account is not and should not be the measure of wealth.

Let us talk about other assets like stocks, bonds , yields, and real estate portfolios.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:29am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

Have you ever heard of Saudi Arabia or Kuwait? Foreign oil and gas worker get all these things plus safety. You dont know anything about oil and gas oga.

Saudi and Kuwait no follow for japa .talk of operation in the Northsea and the life style.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:29am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

I will be happy to see that survey
Hi business minded people of Nairaland. I am a diasporan Nigerian and to be honest am tired of this UK and am thinking home now. I have a plan to come and invest in pharmaceutical retail business.
Am not a pharmacist, my plan is to employ a pharmacist that will run it while I supervise the day to day activities. Am thinking of starting it next year after the election. Set it up and go back to UK to finalize my final exit by Dec next yr. Am looking for location along Lekki Epe Exp or Ibadan Oyo State for now. Am hoping to make it a chain of pharma Stores in futur

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:31am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

I will be happy to see that survey. Also so you educate yourself, savings in a bank account is not and should not be the measure of wealth.

Let us talk about other assets like stocks, bonds , yields, and real estate portfolios.
Survey finds more than half of Americans can't afford a $1,000 emergency. Bankrate, a personal finance company, conducted a survey in January to assess Americans' ability to pay for surprises expenses. The results found only 44 percent of U.S. adults had enough money saved to cover a $1,000, unplanned expense.19 01 2022
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:31am On Nov 06, 2022
Munamoqel:
Saudi and Kuwait no follow for japa .talk of operation in the Northsea and the life style.

Oga sir, I have worked in Kuwait and I still have friends there. Anyone who is an engineer that have worked in Kuwait or Saudi knows that the perks you get there are 100x that of Nigeria plus safety

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:34am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

Oga sir, I have worked in Kuwait and I still have friends there. Anyone who is an engineer that have worked in Kuwait or Saudi knows that the perks you get there are 100x that of Nigeria plus safety
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/01/19/56percent-of-americans-cant-cover-a-1000-emergency-expense-with-savings.html&ved=2ahUKEwje_aulrZn7AhWBCewKHZ48BXMQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw03VNd5_SSpBPB2USsav7b6
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:35am On Nov 06, 2022
Munamoqel:
Survey finds more than half of Americans can't afford a $1,000 emergency. Bankrate, a personal finance company, conducted a survey in January to assess Americans' ability to pay for surprises expenses. The results found only 44 percent of U.S. adults had enough money saved to cover a $1,000, unplanned expense.19 01 2022

You like to argue for arguments sake. What is the median household income in Nigeria vs America?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:36am On Nov 06, 2022
Munamoqel:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/01/19/56percent-of-americans-cant-cover-a-1000-emergency-expense-with-savings.html&ved=2ahUKEwje_aulrZn7AhWBCewKHZ48BXMQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw03VNd5_SSpBPB2USsav7b6

You again are cherrypicking facts, you also conveniently ignored the fact that while only 44% of Americans have emergency funds that most had credit cars and can still foot their bills.

You fail to understand that in a booming economy people do not saving, when their is a downturn people save. An article from Bloomberg is not an economic survey of how rich or poor Americans are.

You need to look at household wealth and gdp per capita. In America it is 69k , in Nigeria it is 2K.

Stop embarrassing yourself with this argument. In terms of wealth, quality of life , education , security and Healthcare (which your leaders rely on) their is no western country comparable to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Gipre(m): 11:37am On Nov 06, 2022
gaby:

You are smart...

Na people like you I dey happy to help.

Do not give up on the dream.

Follow me..you never can tell....

God bless.

Thanks alot.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:38am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

this one is not JAPA his is skill migration .you work for oil firm in Nigeria and move to oil firm in Kuwait . This not japa but skill migration. JAPA na street slang where average Nigeria sell everything ,resign from work ,park family , borrow POF and JAPA on a student visa mostly teir 4 to the UK to become rich cos Nigeria has collapse .

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by poseidon12: 11:39am On Nov 06, 2022
frozen70:

Is alright

Imagine, you traveled out send 15 million Dollars for building an estate, put it on rent and enjoy the inflow of money

Where will get $15m from Or do you mean #15m?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:40am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

You like to argue for arguments sake. What is the median household income in Nigeria vs America?
Most Americans are still struggling to build solid savings accounts nearly two years into the coronavirus pandemic.

Some 56% of Americans are unable to cover an unexpected $1,000 bill with savings, according to a telephone survey of more than 1,000 adults conducted in early January by Bankrate.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Backpedal: 11:41am On Nov 06, 2022
ariesbull:
that is the mentality fewer economic activities... That is the stupidity.

I opened my firm about 4 yrs today I am thinking if expanding to ICT and cloud computing in Nigeria...

Nigeria is the biggest market in Africa... And that is huge opportunity for an intelligent man. A market that has over 200 million people exchanging hands is huge

Think
A big market means nothing when the MAJORITY of the people are impoverished and miserable

I'll rather do business in Switzerland with fewer people but with deep pockets
Than Nigeria breeding economically useless Homan beings left and right
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:43am On Nov 06, 2022
Backpedal:

A big market means nothing when the MAJORITY of the people are impoverished and miserable

story so why is Amazon and HP opening new office in Nigeria . Are you a inferior being or have accepted been an inferior race
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by poseidon12: 11:44am On Nov 06, 2022
Munamoqel:
nearing collapse ? 500 bn USD economy the largest in Africa bigger than eypt south Africa and Algeria and top FDI and FPI investment destination . Nearing collapse and MTN just raise 100m USD for network expansion .nearing collapse and the FDI lekki 3 bn USD port is ready .nearing collapse the America embassy is building 550m USD embassy in Eko Atlantic .nearing collapse Nigeria student form the 3 largest student population in uk this year .una just van validate the 2 class citizens life una dey live abroad . ( Self consolation )

Actually, I would say that Nigerians in North America and Europe are 3rd class citizens. The Asians are the 2nd class citizens.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:45am On Nov 06, 2022
Backpedal:

The way I see people employing circular reasoning on this thread is astounding.

I will love a working Nigeria and to move back home. However it is because go to east, west, north and south, home will always be Nigeria for me.

For my children, not so much.

There are many reasons to what to leave here like racism, loneliness and cultural shock but ability to make money is not one of them, even for the average japa person
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:46am On Nov 06, 2022
poseidon12:

Actually, I would say that Nigerians in North America and Europe are 3rd class citizens. The Asians are the 2nd class citizens.

You people like to throw out words. What makes a Nigeria a third class citizen? You have the exact same rights as everyone else.

You think people queue up to go to Canada to become slaves or what?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:48am On Nov 06, 2022
poseidon12:

probably 4 class .the Middle easterner are still rank higher
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:50am On Nov 06, 2022
Munamoqel:
story so why is Amazon and HP opening new office in Nigeria . Are you a inferior being or have accepted been an inferior race

As an igbo man have I been accepted in Lagos or Kano? While racism is a concern , you have better recourse in law if someone overtly discriminates against you in America vs Nigeria.

You know Amazon has had a huge datacenter in South Africa for nearly 10 years now right.

Now let me tell you why Amazon is expanding to Nigeria. Every public company needs to continue showing growth, Amazon has dominated cloud computing in every continent and the only other way to show massive growth is to dominate Africa. A single datacenter in South Africa is not enough to serve the African market.

If Nigeria was such a prime market, they will not be expanding to Nigeria literally when they have no where else to expand to.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:51am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

You people like to throw out words. What makes a Nigeria a third class citizen? You have the exact same rights as everyone else.

You think people queue up to go to Canada to become slaves or what?
apply for Jobs with you native name .like bolaji or chukuwemeka and see auto regrets mail .but na care home and other dead end jobs you will receive interview mails.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:51am On Nov 06, 2022
Munamoqel:
probably 4 class .the Middle easterner are still rank higher

Who does this ranking?

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:53am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

As an igbo man have I been accepted in Lagos or Kano? While racism is a concern , you have better recourse in law if someone overtly discriminates against you in America vs Nigeria.

You know Amazon has had a huge datacenter in South Africa for nearly 10 years now right.

Now let me tell you why Amazon is expanding to Nigeria. Every public company needs to continue showing growth, Amazon has dominated cloud computing in every continent and the only other way to show massive growth is to dominate Africa. A single datacenter in South Africa is not enough to serve the African market.

If Nigeria was such a prime market, they will not be expanding to Nigeria literally when they have no where else to expand to.
Igbos are the largest property owner in Abuja . And hold properties in excess of 1 trillion naira in Sabon gari Kano . Ibos are employ in companies owned by Kano citizens like Dangote group who the head of communication is Igbo .
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 11:59am On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

Who does this ranking?
uk that don't give visa now dash visa like Bonanza . It a smart ploy . They are having labour shortages in dead end jobs like farm worker ,carehomes , sewages staff ,mutuary attentance etc . Smart govt give some Afticans English speaking Nigerians teir 4 visa to come in to fill in the blank . They pay us high visa fees pay us IHS pay us tution deposit ,rent our homes ,then systems force them to do our dirty jobs .... .u think uk.embassy don't know say na Borrowed POF una they use JAPA.but their Target is labour shortages in the bottom they allow in the high cost of surviving in their system will make Afticans with degree work in homes.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by poseidon12: 11:59am On Nov 06, 2022
frozen70:

Its not automatic
Its a gradual process

As a Nigerian, you are not going to get rich doing 9am to 5pm jobs (even if you have two jobs). You can only get rich by becoming an entrepreneur, a tall order for most Nigerians living abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Possible1805: 12:00pm On Nov 06, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

Have you ever heard of Saudi Arabia or Kuwait? Foreign oil and gas worker get all these things plus safety. You dont know anything about oil and gas oga.

Also why would you need a body guard when America is 10x safer than Nigeria?

Don’t compare nigeria to any other country and stop looking for excuses to remain in country that tax will always take away all your money…

You can’t just expect us to be living okay and earn huge in nigeria and you expect to leave that to japa to a country that I will be working very hard to eat everyday.

Deep down you know nigeria is a great country for business and even work. Despite the kidnapping and insecurity people are still living okay, stop calling nigeria shithole

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by poseidon12: 12:01pm On Nov 06, 2022
Bksense:

Instead of you to simply check FBI website, you are here capping. Just like y'all think abroad to be paradise, you never imagine these countries are also inhabited by humans.

Kidnapping is not an issue in developed countries. Very rare.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by bepositive11: 12:02pm On Nov 06, 2022
DannyFX2638:
but do you like the fact that you always dress like Ninja before leaving your house?

Lol! I laughed so hard grin
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by poseidon12: 12:06pm On Nov 06, 2022
Bksense:

Where will you see $15M ? LoL. Another delusion about abroad. There's no guarantee anyone can amass up to $500k even working for 45yrs

You are talking about $500k. Majority of Nigerians living in USA are actually in debt. Where will they see $500k.
However, for some Nigerians, immigrating will be a better option.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Backpedal: 12:08pm On Nov 06, 2022
Munamoqel:
We are not an inferior race
We are a poor and impoverished race
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by poseidon12: 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2022
Primusinterpares:
some deep truth bro.
I understand the uncertainty in 9ja, insecurities, bad economy.
Are we saying there are no good things in Nigeria?
Can't people make it here?
If we all channel our energy into being productive and we have a good government things should get better I believe

A lot of Lebanese and Indians are doing very well here in Nigeria. Nigerians, like most blacks are not builders. They always run to where others have built. Even in US, they keep running to the white neighborhoods while the whites ( builders) keep running from them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2022
Backpedal:

We are not an inferior race
We are a poor and impoverished race
so why are the rich race still investing in poverty striken location. Is like tell a rich Nigerian to build a Mansion for rent in Makoko slum who is the targets .

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (43) (Reply)

Ikenna Nweke: I Declined 10% Of Money I Found In Japan / Many Policemen Die In Ondo Auto Accident (Disturbing Photos) / World’s Largest Aircraft Leaves Its Hangar For The First Time(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.