Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,598 members, 7,812,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? (70058 Views)

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Bksense: 9:59am On Oct 31, 2022
Bankowner:
About 6 weeks ago, Canadian dollar exchanged for #520. Now it is #550 and makes it cheaper for me to get one or two things done in Nigeria and with change in my pocket over here even if it is only bus pass it will buy.

Consider that!

Are you guys ever really satisfied without mentally converting your earnings to naira to look big? You know you'll always be below average earning with your kind of job. You can't even afford to buy house without mortgage

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Bksense: 10:01am On Oct 31, 2022
frozen70:

Is alright

Imagine, you traveled out send 15 million Dollars for building an estate, put it on rent and enjoy the inflow of money

Where will you see $15M ? LoL. Another delusion about abroad. There's no guarantee anyone can amass up to $500k even working for 45yrs

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by oghenekome10: 1:23pm On Oct 31, 2022
Good morning house... Please could someone help me with list of cheap tuition fee colleges in Canada that offer pgd?? Please I urgently need this information... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by oghenekome10: 1:26pm On Oct 31, 2022
Greatdand007:

Really student promo and how do I get it I have about 50million naira saved

Good morning house... Please could someone help me with list of cheap tuition fee colleges in Canada that offer pgd?? Please I urgently need this information... Thanks
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 1:38pm On Oct 31, 2022
frozen70:

Is alright

Imagine, you traveled out send 15 million Dollars for building an estate, put it on rent and enjoy the inflow of money
15 million dollars don't come that easy o. Except you are into drugs, robbery, yahoo, or illegal stuffs

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 1:45pm On Oct 31, 2022
Munamoqel:
HiThis a banker dairy .Now washing dead bodies . You call it progress !Hi diary,
I have become lazy to type. Little update about what's happening

For the first time in my life, I touched a dead person. I don't even know how I feel but I think I was a bit scared.

I am currently on a night shift in a hospice, that's end of life people. Had checked up on this man around 1 and he was still breathing and 30 minutes later he was gone.

He needed to be washed, dressed and made presentable. He was warm and felt like he was still sleeping. Just that this time, it looked like a deep sleep. The nurse asked if I was alright doing it. I sha tried by best to hide any of my feelings. Omoh! Things I have seen and experienced in this UK journey.

I just wish I can stop this care assistant job permanently but it seems I will still be stuck
Things like this scares me a lot

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 1:46pm On Oct 31, 2022
Munamoqel:
hope you heared about the petrol bombs throw at a Migrants processing center in Denver .This how much the luv migrants !
They won't tell you this part

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 1:52pm On Oct 31, 2022
ayandee:

For haircuts, you can do it yourself. My husband does his and the kids. He does a good job of it.

Yes, it's pako house but beautifully designed with basic furnishing. That's the only housing that suits the weather.
Can you imagine. About 1m naira monthly. Bros in 9ja you be living like a king with that amount

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2022
Munamoqel:
UK no do me anything .Na me apply for Visa with my money ,I no sell house or car or borrow POF .that why I choose top school ( 20100) they even give me scholarships .
Good for you. But the people am seeing are selling thing just to Japa

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 2:09pm On Oct 31, 2022
Gerrard59:

To be honest, I cannot blame them, especially if one looks at the future of Nigeria. Some people prefer peace of mind and security, others prefer the fast lane. Like someone mentioned, the thought of driving through the night is something I cherish and owning that the chances of anything happening is very low. Nigeria is too unpredictable for me, so for those who say "you can make money here", that is one aspect of investing in the country. Before I left, I wanted to invest in having a cassava factory that would process large quantities of cassava and even begin an out-grower scheme within the locality. Only for me to read in the papers that Fulani herdsmen cut off the hands of the farm manager of a nearby cassava plantation. An aide to the governor owns the farm, and till date, the culprits have not been caught. You want to arrest senior citizens? Someone will mention Indians, Lebanese and Chinese, but don’t forget that most come with huge capital, the Nigerian government loves foreigners more than some Nigerians and these people have deep networks built over the years. This is something Nigerians who relocated a long time (esp those in the UK) should have built especially regarding entrepreneurship. But being the divided people who we are, they could not do so.

Also, the country is too divided and ethnic bigotry is rampant, so why should say an Igbo man stay when he has the opportunity to leave? Why stay in a place where the people at the helms of affairs don’t like you and keep throwing slurs at you? Worst still, this place is the world’s poverty capital. So, it means even if you would experience racism outside Nigeria, it will be in a prosperous place rather than inhaling tribal slurs in a privation-laden environment. Additionally, elites in Nigeria have second passports and can jet out at any given time. Furthermore, most of the politicians and big business people in Nigeria once worked or studied or did business abroad before returning to the country. So, there is no point wailing or whining that people are relocating, whereas Adenuga, Tinubu, Innoson, Saraki and many, many others did the same thing during their prime. Also, due to the unpredictability, even Dangote has parked his wealth outside the country to mitigate against currency devaluation. You have Islamists in the north (I once fancied owning a big farm in either Plateau or Taraba), and wanton attacks on citizens, including students who were returning to school after wasting almost eight months at home because of strike. Whereas a man who japa’d 25 years ago has his child in a good school abroad and is not worried of the child being at home because of an annual strike ritual.

But errm, Indians and Lebenase are moving to Nigeria. The same India where many are moving to Nigeria has her nationals moving in droves to the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and even Japan.That is the thing, people would always migrate. Your parents migrated to where they are/were and if you did after graduation, you had your reasons for doing the same. People are at different levels in life, but would always put economic reasons as the number one for doing so. You don’t know the condition of the Lebanese who moved to Nigeria. Why did he not move to the US or France? He moved where his knowledge and finances can carry him to. Ditto for those who have moved to Canada or the UK from Nigeria.

Live, and let's live.
some deep truth bro.
I understand the uncertainty in 9ja, insecurities, bad economy.
Are we saying there are no good things in Nigeria?
Can't people make it here?
If we all channel our energy into being productive and we have a good government things should get better I believe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 2:11pm On Oct 31, 2022
ayandee:
I agree with you.

You see, that good school is one of the main attractions. I am a lover of good education. The first day I stepped into my kids' school, I knew I made the right decision. Great facilities, happy teachers.
We also got good schools here in 9ja. Although they are expensive sha.
But we got good schools too

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 2:13pm On Oct 31, 2022
naijanaso:

You guys always forget that you will not be spending in Naira abroad. You make the currency, you spend the currency bro! It's not as easy as you think.
Ask yourself an honest question: "of all the people you know that have travelled, how many have been able to send anything here"? Them never even fit take care of themselves finish.
Serene environment, yes! But extra money? Think am well.
True bro. True

3 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 2:23pm On Oct 31, 2022
kodred:

Even if you earn 200k usd yearly after tax and expenses, it will take 75 years to get $15m. By that time, of what value is the money to you?

It’s good to experience life abroad and no one experience is the same but using 15-20 million to buy uncertainty is not something I would do.
how many earns that much overthere

5 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 2:32pm On Oct 31, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Good for you. But the people am seeing are selling thing just to Japa
they cannot afford it that the truth .there is a difference between Japa and international studies . Japa are people that want to use student visa to migrate .while international students are those that can afford it and in search for quality , knowledge and experience . This two different crew . They later don't sell car or pots to travel they are either on scholarships or can afford it or on study leave .

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 2:33pm On Oct 31, 2022
Primusinterpares:
True bro. True
imagine barbing hair for 20 pounds .that like 2 hours wage just to Barb .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ayandee: 5:24pm On Oct 31, 2022
Primusinterpares:
We also got good schools here in 9ja. Although they are expensive sha.
But we got good schools too
yes but they are out of reach. The likes of Grange, British International School are not for the average household even with a household income of N1million per month.

The public schools here are comparable to Grange and the likes and those public schools will even beat them hands down in many aspects.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 5:40pm On Oct 31, 2022
Munamoqel:
they cannot afford it that the truth .there is a difference between Japa and international studies . Japa are people that want to use student visa to migrate .while international students are those that can afford it and in search for quality , knowledge and experience . This two different crew . They later don't sell car or pots to travel they are either on scholarships or can afford it or on study leave .
I never knew this...

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 5:41pm On Oct 31, 2022
Munamoqel:
imagine barbing hair for 20 pounds .that like 2 hours wage just to Barb .
Omor ... The way I see it is that you earn as much as you spend there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 6:12pm On Oct 31, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Omor ... The way I see it is that you earn as much as you spend there.
in Najia the minimum wage is around 40 k /160 hr work that 250 k per hour .barbing na 500h that equal to 2 hours work same service

6 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 6:18pm On Oct 31, 2022
ayandee:
yes but they are out of reach. The likes of Grange, British International School are not for the average household even with a household income of N1million per month.

The public schools here are comparable to Grange and the likes and those public schools will even beat them hands down in many aspects.
Maybe true. But can you compare the taxes you pay over there and the one you pay here?
What about the fees?

In all our 9ja kids still got brains more than some of these western kids...

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 6:19pm On Oct 31, 2022
Munamoqel:
in Najia the minimum wage is around 40 k /160 hr work that 250 k per hour .barbing na 500h that equal to 2 hours work same service
Compare the taxes attached to things over there and what you got here
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ayandee: 6:31pm On Oct 31, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Maybe true. But can you compare the taxes you pay over there and the one you pay here?
What about the fees?

We don't pay school fees up to high school. So I personally don't mind the taxes. At least, we get value for the tax we pay.

About brains, I don't know about that. It depends on the individual.

16 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 6:36pm On Oct 31, 2022
ayandee:

We don't pay school fees up to high school. So I personally don't mind the taxes. At least, we get value for the tax we pay.

About brains, I don't know about that. It depends on the individual.

That's interesting and good to know. If we can get governance right in 9ja, Things should get better.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ZINNYBANKS: 6:43pm On Oct 31, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Regardless people are still doing fine here in Nigeria.
Doing fine get levels , someone who is doing fine here in Nigeria and someone who is doing fine in Luxembourg if you put dem two together big difference go dey . doing fine get levels my Brody ..

20 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 7:58pm On Oct 31, 2022
ZINNYBANKS:

Doing fine get levels , someone who is doing fine here in Nigeria and someone who is doing fine in Luxembourg if you put dem two together big difference go dey . doing fine get levels my Brody ..
Na true sha...
They have systems that works tho
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by symbianDON(m): 8:11pm On Oct 31, 2022
ayandee:
I like the fact that I can drive very long distances far into the night through different rural communities of Canada without fearing a thing.

No burglary proof, no gates, yet no fear. That peace of mind and serenity is priceless.

chai!!! This alone is enough to make one want to run away from this geographical location called Nigeria!

5 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ednut1(m): 8:17pm On Oct 31, 2022
Selling your property to obtain student visa is a big gamble people are willing to take. Nigeria looks like it is nearing collapse. Immigration is also not certain 3 years ago canada permanent residency was easy today it is very hard. USA was easy to enter 10 years ago today you cant even get interview date. Uk is currently doing promo with student visa they may change policy one day and people have no where to go again. So people dey rush am now as he dey hot. Dont blame them

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ayandee: 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2022
Primusinterpares:
That's interesting and good to know. If we can get governance right in 9ja, Things should get better.
Exactly! The average Nigerian isn't asking for too much. Give them stable light, good education, security, create an enabling environment for job creation. Finish.

These are the only things the average Nigerian is seeking. Yet, the government failed due to their wanton greed and corruption.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2022
ayandee:

Exactly! The average Nigerian isn't asking for too much- stable light, good education, security, create an enabling environment for job creation. Finish.

These are the only things the average Nigerian is seeking. Yet, the government failed due to their wanton greed and corruption.
very true bro
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Gerrard59(m): 5:38am On Nov 01, 2022
Primusinterpares:
What about the fees?

You talk say if people don't pay taxes and all sort of levies in Nigeria. No be drivers embark on strike because of multiple levies and taxes from Tinubu's boys? Whereas such does not happen here. Ever since I have been here, there has been no electricity outage, I have not seen a generator nor heard the sound, the streets are safe, everything works etc. I can count how many times I heard car horns. In fact, the one of yesterday shocked passersby as it the driver honked twice. They wondered what happened. This is heaven.

Again, if you want to stay in Nigeria, please do so. No one is mandating you to remain. In fact, you should be happy people are selling their properties to relocate. That is an opportunity to buy them off, sometimes at giveaway rates.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by jieta: 11:11am On Nov 01, 2022
olalekan9320:
It's now above 565, on some apps it's even 580
I know am supposed to go to the bank but i just want to get i tip of.

Please! how do i open a dollar account in Nigeria banks?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 6:30pm On Nov 01, 2022
Gerrard59:

You talk say if people don't pay taxes and all sort of levies in Nigeria. No be drivers embark on strike because of multiple levies and taxes from Tinubu's boys? Whereas such does not happen here. Ever since I have been here, there has been no electricity outage, I have not seen a generator nor heard the sound, the streets are safe, everything works etc. I can count how many times I heard car horns. In fact, the one of yesterday shocked passersby as it the driver honked twice. They wondered what happened. This is heaven.

Again, if you want to stay in Nigeria, please do so. No one is mandating you to remain. In fact, you should be happy people are selling their properties to relocate. That is an opportunity to buy them off, sometimes at giveaway rates.
This things makes it scary

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (43) (Reply)

The Japanese Passport Is Now The Most Powerful Passport On Earth! / Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany / The Interchange Julius Beger Is Constructing In Obosi, Anambra (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.