Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 (81311 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by folarinstr: 6:09pm On Dec 08, 2023
Anyone with US B1/B2 appointment date in this month, December or January?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by folarinstr: 6:11pm On Dec 08, 2023
Please house, anyone with US B1/B2 appointment date in this month, December or January......Urgently pls
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 2:17pm On Dec 10, 2023
RaniOpe:

You have given this little girl hope. I am grateful.
Time to re-buckle my shoes.

Just to clarify I meant target universities in the East coast. NY, DMV tend to have quite a bit

Let me share an example here
Research Foundation City University New York.
This job offer here actually mentions 'visa sponsorship available '
https://www.rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=PH-2311-005970

You can look for organisation like this with opportunities for Education related roles

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Najdorf: 1:05pm On Dec 13, 2023
RaniOpe:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The reason for the outcry was because people I keep asking for information, make it feel like I have no future here because my course of study is non-stem. Someone said it to my face , that I was studying rubbish and all the opportunities are in stem.

I don’t see myself learning coding or going to nursing school , it’s not my passion. Not everyone wants to do stem. I have joy in my field of Education and the goal is tenure track professor or policy researcher.

I just glanced through a few pages of Macky’s thread , noticed he’s also in STEM and my hope got dashed again.

I am tired 😪
What exactly are you studying?

I relate to your feelings of of not wanting to do coding or nursing. The US is a big place with a variety of opportunities. If you give us more information we can advice you.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by scholardailys: 1:22pm On Dec 13, 2023
Traveling abroad is not just about ticking off countries from your bucket list; it's an enriching journey that opens doors to a world of opportunities and personal growth. In this article, we delve into the profound impacts of international travel and why it should be an essential part of your life experience.

The truth is that the majority of families no longer see traveling abroad as just a leisure activity; it's a transformative experience that offers endless benefits. From personal growth to professional opportunities, health benefits to educational value, the importance of exploring the world cannot be overstated. So, pack your bags and set off on a journey that promises to enhance your life in ways you never imagined.

There are a good number number countries that can offer you (and your family) a lifetime opportunity to immigrate abroad with ease. The processes are straight, and you can handle them without any agent assistance or fee. >>click here for more details.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Chefyemc: 10:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
asid:

You can't but you can apply for a Canadian visa and get it. It's less than $200. My mum was visiting the US & we applied and she got 5yrs. So do try.

Hello,pls did your mum apply in Nigeria before she left ,or she applied while she was in the us
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Schrodinger2(m): 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
Chefyemc:

Hello,pls did your mum apply in Nigeria before she left ,or she applied while she was in the us
No need going back to Nigeria if your visa is active. You can apply here from the US.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Sisib15: 11:56pm On Dec 16, 2023
I need help!
My writing is bad ehn and it's affecting my grades. How can I get better? Any idea and suggestions is welcome.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by horlahsunbo225(m): 5:01am On Dec 17, 2023
Sisib15:
I need help!
My writing is bad ehn and it's affecting my grades. How can I get better? Any idea and suggestions is welcome.
Grammarly can help you
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by thatthickgurl(f): 8:40pm On Dec 17, 2023
Sisib15:
I need help!

What part of the writing do you have issues with ?
Use of vocabulary and concepts ?
APA style ?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Sisib15: 3:44am On Dec 18, 2023
Sentence structures
thatthickgurl:

APA style ?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Sisib15: 3:45am On Dec 18, 2023
We use MLA.I haveproblem with structureand organization in writing
thatthickgurl:

APA style ?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by thatthickgurl(f): 4:51am On Dec 18, 2023
Sisib15:
We use MLA.I haveproblem with structureand organization in writing

I think the basics is ; introduction, body and conclusion as we were taught.
Also make sure , each paragraph conveys an idea i.e ( if you are writing about 3 ideas , you will have a paragraph for introduction, 3 paragraph for the ideas (body) and a last paragraph for conclusion).

For the sentence structure, start with the main point (the first 2/3 sentences in the paragraph), so the readers know exactly what you’re writing about without having to read everything. Then the remaining sentences can be used to explain the first sentences.

Also re-read to ensure there is a logical flow in your words.

I don’t know if this helps and there are different types of writing (e.g a thesis and dissertation will be different, I assume that’s not what you need help with but assignments in class)

A tip : I always make my introductions catchy , so the reader has no option than to be intrigued. Though there is a school of thought that believes catchy introductions are cliches.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Sisib15: 1:12pm On Dec 18, 2023
Thank you
thatthickgurl:

I think the basics is ; introduction, body and conclusion as we were taught.
Also make sure , each paragraph conveys an idea i.e ( if you are writing about 3 ideas , you will have a paragraph for introduction, 3 paragraph for the ideas (body) and a last paragraph for conclusion).

For the sentence structure, start with the main point (the first 2/3 sentences in the paragraph), so the readers know exactly what you’re writing about without having to read everything. Then the remaining sentences can be used to explain the first sentences.

Also re-read to ensure there is a logical flow in your words.

I don’t know if this helps and there are different types of writing (e.g a thesis and dissertation will be different, I assume that’s not what you need help with but assignments in class)

A tip : I always make my introductions catchy , so the reader has no option than to be intrigued. Though there is a school of thought that believes catchy introductions are cliches.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by KrisUc(m): 2:48pm On Dec 24, 2023
For majority of us that love to eat Nigerian foods and swallows, where do we order From?
We can actually do business. Kindly reach out to me on zero eight zero 4 three five 37 5 nine five let's talk on WhatsApp
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by hustla(m): 3:12pm On Dec 24, 2023
Sisib15:
I need help!

Grammarly
Quillbot
Chatgpt

Integrate with MS word

Someone sells QB /Grammarly premium logins on NL
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by sleekmate03: 10:06pm On Dec 24, 2023
Hi all - just wondering if there are any Nigerian or Africans in USA and living in the Midwest (Michigan preferably) and open to a trucking driver position. If you are or no anyone looking please contact me. Pay is decent and non-toxic work environment. CDL not required.

Compliments of the season
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by beejhay69: 1:00am On Dec 25, 2023
sleekmate03:
Hi all - just wondering if there are any Nigerian or Africans in USA and living in the Midwest (Michigan preferably) and open to a trucking driver position. If you are or no anyone looking please contact me. Pay is decent and non-toxic work environment. CDL not required.

Compliments of the season
Under table pay?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by beejhay69: 1:06am On Dec 25, 2023
RaniOpe:

You have given this little girl hope. I am grateful.
Time to re-buckle my shoes.
Hello, hows it going? Hope you've made some progress with the information you got the last time?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Eniolohunda: 5:10pm On Dec 25, 2023
For majority of us that love to eat Nigerian foods and swallows, where do we order From?

African market around you
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by sleekmate03: 8:19am On Dec 26, 2023
beejhay69:

Under table pay?

YES!
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by RaniOpe: 6:16pm On Dec 27, 2023
beejhay69:
Hello, hows it going? Hope you've made some progress with the information you got the last time?

Hi.
To an extent. I am currently job searching. I have a question, how do you recognize companies that would allow you work with them for OPT?
Do I just apply to any company ?

Cc Taal17
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by bioemmy: 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2023
Hello,

I'm about booking a flight to USA. The cheapest I'm seeing requires a stopover in London (Heathrow airport). The site is saying I may need a transit visa.

Would I truly need it?

If yes, let me change my path then.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Clinton207: 5:35pm On Dec 28, 2023
Complements of the season beloved friends .
Guys please I seriously need link in getting a visa sponsored job to the U.S.A in the field of nursing assistance .. Pls any helpful info would
Be greatly appreciated .

Thanks guys.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by julli789(f): 5:47am On Dec 29, 2023
Hello everyone, I'm in the UK on a student visa and I'm looking to travel to the US next year on a visit visa. Does anyone have an idea of what supporting documents I need for the application? And do I need an invitation from a green card holder?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Okunrimeta: 7:41pm On Dec 29, 2023
Happy New Year to everyone ! I recently re-joined Nairaland after a long hiatus and I hope to be a good resource here. I currently live in Texas, feel free to ask any question(s).
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Enculer2: 2:38am On Dec 30, 2023
Okunrimeta:
Happy New Year to everyone ! I recently re-joined Nairaland after a long hiatus and I hope to be a good resource here. I currently live in Texas, feel free to ask any question(s).

Welcome back!

Quick question. I am a bit old school on this. I remember that there used to be US VISA lottery back in the days. Is this still on?

I came across this online:
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/dv-2025-instructions-translations/DV-2025_Instructions-faqs.pdf

Looks like Nigerian are not eligible. What happens if you have citizenship of another country?

Cheers.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 3:12am On Dec 30, 2023
RaniOpe:

Hi.
To an extent. I am currently job searching. I have a question, how do you recognize companies that would allow you work with them for OPT?
Do I just apply to any company ?

Cc Taal17

I tagged you in my last post...that job specifically said opportunity for sponsorship.

So apply to jobs but watch out for those who can provide or have a history of sponsorship.

Apply to jobs because you need experience but pay more attention to those who can provide sponsorship.

Usually job applications ask if you have permit to work. Then some would include questions of if you now or in the future would need visa sponsorship.

All the best
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 3:16am On Dec 30, 2023
Enculer2:

Welcome back!

Quick question. I am a bit old school on this. I remember that there used to be US VISA lottery back in the days. Is this still on?

I came across this online:
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/dv-2025-instructions-translations/DV-2025_Instructions-faqs.pdf

Looks like Nigerian are not eligible. What happens if you have citizenship of another country?

Cheers.

Yes other African countries are still eligible for DV. Nigeria is no longer eligible
DV lottery is more than just winning ..upon selection you still have to provide educational and birth documents.
So just having citizenship of another country isn't enough to
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 3:20am On Dec 30, 2023
Okunrimeta:

Nice
What part of Texas? It's the need to always drive everywhere that I don't really like.

Do you mind sharing about your city.
I'm in NYC
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Enculer2: 6:58am On Dec 30, 2023
Taal17:

Yes other African countries are still eligible for DV. Nigeria is no longer eligible
DV lottery is more than just winning ..upon selection you still have to provide educational and birth documents.
So just having citizenship of another country isn't enough to

Thanks for the information. If someone has dual nationality - Nigerian and another country not on the barred list, can they apply with the other nationality or are they ruled out?

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply)

The Fish Statue At Abraham Adesanya Roundabout Lagos, Removed (Video) / Homeless Nigerian Man In USA, Walks The Street Aimlessly (Photos) / Otedola Bridge, Lagos Tanker Explosion: 'Pictures Cannot Explain What I Saw'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.