Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 (79340 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 5:52pm On Dec 30, 2023
Enculer2:

Thanks for the information. If someone has dual nationality - Nigerian and another country not on the barred list, can they apply with the other nationality or are they ruled out?

Cheers
No.
DV lottery is based on country of birth not your number of nationalities. Like I said birth documents are important.

I think the only exceptions are if your spouse is from a country that's still eligible or your parents were from a country that's still eligible and they just happened to birth you in a country that is excluded whilst they were there say studying or working.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Enculer2: 9:36pm On Dec 30, 2023
Taal17:

No.
DV lottery is based on country of birth not your number of nationalities. Like I said birth documents are important.

I think the only exceptions are if your spouse is from a country that's still eligible or your parents were from a country that's still eligible and they just happened to birth you in a country that is excluded whilst they were there say studying or working.

Thanks for this clarification. Very clear now.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by molybdenum0012: 2:05am On Dec 31, 2023
Hey guys, how do you get professional jobs here with just Naija experience.., It's tough getting one in my field. I would get plenty of phone interviews but no callbacks. It's frustrating. However I work with one NGO remotely now for just 20 hours per week, which is nothing.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by horlahsunbo225(m): 5:47am On Dec 31, 2023
Enculer2:

Thanks for the information. If someone has dual nationality - Nigerian and another country not on the barred list, can they apply with the other nationality or are they ruled out?

Cheers
Yes. They can
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by IvanCardozo: 9:22am On Jan 01
julli789:
Hello everyone, I'm in the UK on a student visa and I'm looking to travel to the US next year on a visit visa. Does anyone have an idea of what supporting documents I need for the application? And do I need an invitation from a green card holder?

Send a PM. I'm also in the UK but got a b1/B2 along side some friends.. Travelled to the us a couple of times already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Okunrimeta: 9:05pm On Jan 01
Sure ! I live within the DFW metroplex. Here has alot of African/Nigerians concentration with loads of naija food. Great weather for the most part of the year too. Its all good! I would advise new migrants coming in from naija or UK to see Texas as an option.
Taal17:

Nice
What part of Texas? It's the need to always drive everywhere that I don't really like.

Do you mind sharing about your city.
I'm in NYC

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Okunrimeta: 9:08pm On Jan 01
Try using job agencies like Robert Half. Have your resume modified towards US template and try linkedin/otta.com/glassdoor etc
molybdenum0012:
Hey guys, how do you get professional jobs here with just Naija experience.., It's tough getting one in my field. I would get plenty of phone interviews but no callbacks. It's frustrating. However I work with one NGO remotely now for just 20 hours per week, which is nothing.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by julli789(f): 9:30pm On Jan 01
IvanCardozo:

Messaged you. Thank you

Send a PM. I'm also in the UK but got a b1/B2 along side some friends.. Travelled to the us a couple of times already.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by molybdenum0012: 12:25am On Jan 02
Okunrimeta:
Try using job agencies like Robert Half. Have your resume modified towards US template and try linkedin/otta.com/glassdoor etc

Yes, I have been using LinkedIn and glassdoor. Not sure it's resume 'cos I get called for the first phase of the interview, the phone interviews . And it's not like I do not have relevant experience. I am suspecting maybe I do not have American experience yet or something. Someone said I should work on my elevation pitch when next I get called

It's really discouraging though, but giving up sha.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by gaudyangel(f): 11:39am On Jan 02
Please what are the requirements for a family of 3 visa to the US ?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Okunrimeta: 6:05pm On Jan 02
Got your point !!! getting that first corporate job can be the hardest but never give up, keep applying. Also, you may wanna focus on going through recruitment agencies, they have their ways of taking you through the door. All the best !!!
molybdenum0012:

Yes, I have been using LinkedIn and glassdoor. Not sure it's resume 'cos I get called for the first phase of the interview, the phone interviews . And it's not like I do not have relevant experience. I am suspecting maybe I do not have American experience yet or something. Someone said I should work on my elevation pitch when next I get called

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Callmeibironke(f): 7:47pm On Jan 03
Happy New Year 🎊.

Please πŸ™ I am seeking a Cosigner for Sallie Mae Student Loan for my tuition of $8k. If anyone can assist. Please πŸ™.

I have tried to reach out to people that I know but most are not credit worthy.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Emphasis101(m): 12:49am On Jan 04
molybdenum0012:

1. If you are called for an interview, it means that your experience has opened that door for you.
2. If you impress at the interview, you will progress to the next stage.
3. How good are your answers to interview questions? Have you prepared for all competency based interviews?
4. Try this video and see if the questions and answers are helpful. It is for specific Engineering but you should get the idea and adapt it to your field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85i5TLyol18
5. Write down answers to all your competency based questions and see how well they stack up. A quick look at your answers can help us determine if you need some extra work.
6. You cannot give up when you have a plan and are determined. You got this. All the best!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by molybdenum0012: 2:32am On Jan 04
Okunrimeta:
Got your point !!! getting that first corporate job can be the hardest but never give up, keep applying. Also, you may wanna focus on going through recruitment agencies, they have their ways of taking you through the door. All the best !!!

Thanks for your input. I will keep applying. I had my first interviewed today, but I won't accept the offer because of the distance plus the pay not encouraging enough for me to relocate.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by molybdenum0012: 2:34am On Jan 04
Emphasis101:

1. If you are called for an interview, it means that your experience has opened that door for you.
2. If you impress at the interview, you will progress to the next stage.
3. How good are your answers to interview questions? Have you prepared for all competency based interviews?
4. Try this video and see if the questions and answers are helpful. It is for specific Engineering but you should get the idea and adapt it to your field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85i5TLyol18
5. Write down answers to all your competency based questions and see how well they stack up. A quick look at your answers can help us determine if you need some extra work.
6. You cannot give up when you have a plan and are determined. You got this. All the best!

Thanks for this. Wish I saw this earlier before my interview today. Another one coming up next week thought. I will make use of all ypur suggestions. Thanks again
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Emphasis101(m): 2:50am On Jan 04
molybdenum0012:

Thanks for this. Wish I saw this earlier before my interview today. Another one coming up next week thought. I will make use of all ypur suggestions. Thanks again

All the very best. Write down all the answers to the competency based questions in advance.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by adedammy009: 6:10pm On Jan 04
Okunrimeta:
Sure ! I live within the DFW metroplex. Here has alot of African/Nigerians concentration with loads of naija food. Great weather for the most part of the year too. Its all good! I would advise new migrants coming in from naija or UK to see Texas as an option.
How is the living cost and job opportunities there.
Regarding accomodation, what the the price range to rent 2 bed 2 bath or 3 bed 2 bath apartment. Thanks
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by horlahsunbo225(m): 3:23am On Jan 05
adedammy009:

Regarding accomodation, what the the price range to rent 2 bed 2 bath or 3 bed 2 bath apartment. Thanks
You can use zilliow or realtor to check prices of house across πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Okunrimeta: 3:18pm On Jan 05
Like someone said, use zillow.com realtor.com to check prices. It will surely range anywhere from $900 to $1700 monthly depending on zip codes and environment.
adedammy009:

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 3:48pm On Jan 05
Okunrimeta:

Same advice I got and it worked.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 3:49pm On Jan 05
Okunrimeta:
Like someone said, use zillow.com realtor.com to check prices. It will surely range anywhere from $900 to $1700 monthly depending on zip codes and environment.

How's the weather like? Is it as humid as Houston
Any tornados?
Public transport? Or is it best to get a car
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by adedammy009: 4:00pm On Jan 05
Okunrimeta:
Thank you.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Okunrimeta: 12:24am On Jan 06
DFW metroplex is a vibrant city towards north Texas. Its also multi-cultural, having a large percentage of Hispanics, Indians, Africans especially Nigerians. We hardly have natural disasters like tornadoes et al unlike other cities in US. For the weather, hardly do we experience snows, the winter can be quite chilly, summers are extremely hot.

Jobs, there is quite alot of industries around here, including 24 fortune 500 headquarters. So, if you wanna hustle, you got a place here.

Transportation
Public transport exists in some areas within the city but I would advise anyone that wants to live a life of ease to get a car. DFW is almost as big as Lagos,

Taal17:

How's the weather like? Is it as humid as Houston
Any tornados?
Public transport? Or is it best to get a car

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Elinosweet143(f): 4:46am On Jan 06
Hey guys and compliment of the season, please how do people get jobs in the US from Naija, I know a software engineer with over 7 years experience struggling to get a hold on it. Please πŸ™ I would appreciate it if anyone knows how to go about it. Thanks
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Elinosweet143(f): 5:11am On Jan 06
Compliment of the season and welcome back. Please is it possible for a software administrator with over 7 years working experience to get a job in the US from Naija with visa sponsorship? If yes, please how do we go about it any link or information will be appreciated. Thanks and God bless
Okunrimeta:
Happy New Year to everyone ! I recently re-joined Nairaland after a long hiatus and I hope to be a good resource here. I currently live in Texas, feel free to ask any question(s).
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Zihno: 8:24pm On Jan 06
Callmeibironke:
Happy New Year 🎊.

Please πŸ™ I am seeking a Cosigner for Sallie Mae Student Loan for my tuition of $8k. If anyone can assist. Please πŸ™.

You expect a stranger to co-sign (Take on your debt) for you?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by horlahsunbo225(m): 12:42am On Jan 07
Elinosweet143:
Hey guys and compliment of the season, please how do people get jobs in the US from Naija, I know a software engineer with over 7 years experience struggling to get a hold on it. Please πŸ™ I would appreciate it if anyone knows how to go about it. Thanks
Job market in πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ is currently unstable and the people that are here are also struggling to get job especially in tech. I'm a mastes student here and before I got one internship, I applied to like 300 places. The only advice is let him/her keep trying. Also remember American don't really value any experience that is not from USA, so he has to double his/her effort to get into company.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by horlahsunbo225(m): 12:44am On Jan 07
Callmeibironke:
Happy New Year 🎊.

Cosiging a loan means if the borrower didn't not pay, then the cosigner will pay, so nobody will do that for you.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by odirinm(f): 11:52am On Jan 07
Rachie83:
Hello everyone, it's nice to come across this thread. I remember around 2916/17 I used to read on thread like this while I was in Nigeria hoping to find myself in the US someday but exactly end of 2017 I got in with my hubby. Anyway to those who still contemplating of coming to US do not give up your dream although US is very hard to get in now but some people are still coming in. US is a land of opportunities with less cost of living compare to Canada and UK although it depends on the State you are. If you are a new immigrant midwest states are the best for you(Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Iowa, part of Illinois,
Missouri etc) interm of settling in on time because the cost of living is cheaper and a lot of job opportunities for new Comer although the cold is much during the winter. I would not advise new comers with no legal status to stay in Atlanta, Texas, California, Florida etc Atlanta Georgia is out of the pictures because the state pays lower and some bills are higher eg Auto insurance is Γ—3 of that of Indiana. Texas is not expensive but no immigrants job(if you understand what I mean) California is generally expensive. We landed in Indiana which really helped us to get settled on time but we chose to explore and we moved to Atlanta but that was a mistake and we are planning to relocate back to Indiana.

I am here to give one or two input when it comes to issues here in the US.

Hello, I just sent you an email. Can you get back to me so we can chat? Thank you.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Jannyfranc: 4:22pm On Jan 07
Thanks for this wonderful input,can you list things to consider before choosing a particular city.Is there any state in south of USA where new comers can settle?
Rachie83:
Hello everyone, it's nice to come across this thread. I remember around 2916/17 I used to read on thread like this while I was in Nigeria hoping to find myself in the US someday but exactly end of 2017 I got in with my hubby. Anyway to those who still contemplating of coming to US do not give up your dream although US is very hard to get in now but some people are still coming in. US is a land of opportunities with less cost of living compare to Canada and UK although it depends on the State you are. If you are a new immigrant midwest states are the best for you(Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Iowa, part of Illinois,
Missouri etc) interm of settling in on time because the cost of living is cheaper and a lot of job opportunities for new Comer although the cold is much during the winter. I would not advise new comers with no legal status to stay in Atlanta, Texas, California, Florida etc Atlanta Georgia is out of the pictures because the state pays lower and some bills are higher eg Auto insurance is Γ—3 of that of Indiana. Texas is not expensive but no immigrants job(if you understand what I mean) California is generally expensive. We landed in Indiana which really helped us to get settled on time but we chose to explore and we moved to Atlanta but that was a mistake and we are planning to relocate back to Indiana.

I am here to give one or two input when it comes to issues here in the US.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Elinosweet143(f): 8:37pm On Jan 07
Thank you very much for the response I really appreciate, I would let him know so he thinks of what to do next
horlahsunbo225:

Job market in πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ is currently unstable and the people that are here are also struggling to get job especially in tech. I'm a mastes student here and before I got one internship, I applied to like 300 places. The only advice is let him/her keep trying. Also remember American don't really value any experience that is not from USA, so he has to double his/her effort to get into company.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Air Peace Crew To Dubai Wear β€˜Isi Agu’ Suit And Red Cap / 10 Unbelievable Photos Of Lagos You Will Mistake For London / I Regret Coming To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.