Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,835 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 (79515 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by welf99: 6:40pm On Feb 05
@Nche95
Don't pay any random person your money, as advised. It will end in premium tears.
If you are struggling to pay the application fee, use pay4me as the last result.

FFIA:

contact them make them epp you cool

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by FFIA: 6:41pm On Feb 05
welf99:
@Nche95
Don't pay any random person your money, as advised. It will end in premium tears.
If you are struggling to pay the application fee, use pay4me as the last result.

you no want make Boogyman557 and Slawomir chop? cool

bad belle cool

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by ZlatanIbile: 12:28pm On Feb 06
Hello everyone,

I have a Nigerian passport and a British residence permit. I want to book a return flight with Turkish airlines from Heathrow to Lagos and I’d like to ask if I’ll need a transit visa at Istanbul for a short Layover.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by horlahsunbo225(m): 1:25am On Feb 07
ZlatanIbile:
Hello everyone,

I have a Nigerian passport and a British residence permit. I want to book a return flight with Turkish airlines from Heathrow to Lagos and I’d like to ask if I’ll need a transit visa at Istanbul for a short Layover.
Generally 🇹🇷 won't require transit visa
If you're not leaving the airport and you've a valid UK visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by dauntless15(m): 3:57pm On Feb 07
pointednose:
How can we get a link to this thread just incase we want to invite people from other threads?
hello are u still in the US?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by dauntless15(m): 4:00pm On Feb 07
GambaOsaka:

Arkansas is a lot cheaper to live than Massachusetts. If you’re surviving in Massachusetts with your family, you should in Arkansas.
hi are u in the US? I have a question
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by dauntless15(m): 4:01pm On Feb 07
molybdenum0012:

Thanks bro. I pray I get there someday. Winter is not treating me well at all. It has been from cold and cataarh here and there.I learn it will take another 3 to 4 months before winter goes away.
hi boss I need to ask u a question about US
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by dauntless15(m): 4:02pm On Feb 07
LovePeaceJoy:
I actually don't have those issues with winter. Winter is actually my favorite season and I look forward to the snow/cold. I hate heat and love cold..lol

In your case, take your Vitamin D/ C /Fish oil/ Collagen supplements, keep a great medicinal candle burning for great respiration, take enough liquids, great skincare and get a good humidifier - invest in warm clothings, gloves, hats, boots too.

As for jobs, keep pushing and applying - people have dropped enough resources here on that. Came here 2 years ago for my masters, got a job before graduation of over $150k and just had my company/business registered this January. It will all work out for you. All the best.
Hi pls I need ur help

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 6:17pm On Feb 07
molybdenum0012:
I am glad to inform you all that I have been finally offered the job in my state.

Thanks to everyone who has in one way or the other contributed to this success. Special thanks to the guy who shared that interview links. God bless you all.
Congrats

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by GambaOsaka: 1:35am On Feb 08
dauntless15:
hi are u in the US? I have a question

Yeah!
What’s the question?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Zerohard: 9:04am On Feb 08
dauntless15:
hi boss I need to ask u a question about US

What’s your question
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by dauntless15(m): 2:56pm On Feb 09
Zerohard:

What’s your question
can I have your email, so I can email you.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by lasisig5(m): 8:01am On Feb 18
Why not ask the question here so others can learn from it, i think that is the essence of creating this trend.
dauntless15:
can I have your email, so I can email you.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by cuteboy2: 5:07pm On Feb 26
Hello. I'm new resident in Texas. In Dallas area. Just hit on this thread today. I'm on page 7 out of 26.

My main challenge is job. I have engineering background (MSc) . Can I DM you please?

Would appreciate help and connections from others in DFW area.

Seunblack7070:
Nice thread here. I've been looking forward for something like this on NL. I'm based in Texas, incase anyone has a question they want to ask about Texas. I don't know it all o. I'll just tell you the little I know, based on my experience.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by RaniOpe: 11:17pm On Feb 29
Hi everyone.

Please I have a question about utilities, kindly provide inputs.

I currently live in a 4 bedroom apartment (with others), where utilities are included in the rent , it is a school hostel. I have no idea the specific cost of utilities because we pay directly to the institution through a portal.

I intend to move into my own apartment soon and I’ve been hunting, most apartments that I see, have no utilities included in the rent.

People that pay for utilities separately, how much do you spend monthly please? E.g electricity , gas, internet , water
I will like to factor that, before choosing an apartment.

Thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 12:33am On Mar 01
RaniOpe:
Hi everyone.

I currently live in a 4 bedroom apartment (with others), where utilities are included in the rent , it is a school hostel. I have no idea the specific cost of utilities because we pay directly to the institution through a portal.

I intend to move into my own apartment soon and I’ve been hunting, most apartments that I see, have no utilities included in the rent.

People that pay for utilities separately, how much do you spend monthly please? E.g electricity , gas, internet , water

Thank you.
Utilities vary state by state
The realtor or estate agent should have an estimate for you.

Also ask those living in the apartment building

Electricity can vary on your use
Water should be the same every month
Imternet usually there's a certain provider for the building I doubt internet can be more than 80usd if up to that.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by RaniOpe: 12:38am On Mar 01
Taal17:

Utilities vary state by state
The realtor or estate agent should have an estimate for you.

Also ask those living in the apartment building

Electricity can vary on your use
Water should be the same every month
Imternet usually there's a certain provider for the building I doubt internet can be more than 80usd if up to that.

Thank you for your response.
Do you have an estimate of how much you spend on these monthly ?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Taal17: 12:44am On Mar 01
RaniOpe:

Thank you for your response.
Do you have an estimate of how much you spend on these monthly ?

My rent is all inclusive.

I'm in NY so water isn't charged. Electricity depends but usually shouldn't be more than 100usd but costs can be higher in the summer cos of air conditioning
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by RaniOpe: 1:39am On Mar 01
Taal17:

My rent is all inclusive.

I'm in NY so water isn't charged. Electricity depends but usually shouldn't be more than 100usd but costs can be higher in the summer cos of air conditioning

Merci
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Okunrimeta: 2:20am On Mar 10
Hi, Welcome to DFW !!! I live within the metroplex as well. For jobs, are you seeking for jobs specific to your field? Or any other field..

I would advise you constantly check the career portals of major engineering coys like texas instruments, salesforce etc. We have quite a few within the metroplex.

You may also register with major recruitment agencies like roberthalf, davron.net and nesc.com ( you can also use google to your advantage)

This land will favor you. Once again, welcome !

cuteboy2:
Hello. I'm new resident in Texas. In Dallas area. Just hit on this thread today. I'm on page 7 out of 26.

My main challenge is job. I have engineering background (MSc) . Can I DM you please?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Okunrimeta: 2:24am On Mar 10
Unless you are searching for a serviced apartment, most times, tenants pay their utilities separately. Typical, you may budget an extra 150 bucks for "nepa", water and gas...for internet, you may call any major isp within your choice area to find out their plans for an apartment. Spectrum, ATT, Verizon, Tmobile all have good plans.

Best of luck !

RaniOpe:
Hi everyone.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by ARISTOCRATDAMMY1(m): 9:47pm On Mar 10
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by horlahsunbo225(m): 5:28pm On Mar 11
ARISTOCRATDAMMY1:
Are there any individuals currently enrolled at Missouri State University or residing in South Dakota? I am interested in gathering information about job prospects for international students in these locations.
What type of job are you looking for?
Professional or blue collar ?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by RaniOpe: 7:33am On Mar 12
Okunrimeta:
Unless you are searching for a serviced apartment, most times, tenants pay their utilities separately. Typical, you may budget an extra 150 bucks for "nepa", water and gas...for internet, you may call any major isp within your choice area to find out their plans for an apartment. Spectrum, ATT, Verizon, Tmobile all have good plans.

Best of luck !

This is really helpful. God bless you
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by RaniOpe: 11:07pm On Mar 12
Please I need summer jobs , if you have any in your state. Please link me.

Thank you
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Ibhadebiz(f): 8:11pm On Mar 17
Hello Good evening everyone, I am an Edo woman I deal on exportation of food stuffs to countries in UK, US, EUROPE, WITHIN AFRICA...etc pls contact me on faithbiz1111@gmail.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by ufuoma23: 2:04pm On Mar 18
I am a very good mathematics teacher. I have headed two different schools at different times still teaching maths and further mathematics. Please how do I secure a visa sponsorship job in a school ( primary or secondary) in the USA?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Seunblack7070: 4:40am On Mar 19
cuteboy2:

Hi, and welcome to Texas. If you have the required documents that can let you work legally in the United States like ur EAD or PR, you can start applying for professional jobs in your field. Go to Google, linkedln, indeed to search. Also, I will suggest you evaluate your result., and maybe take one or two professional exams to give you an edge. You can get cheap classes on udemy especially during their sales, that can prepare you for the exam.

But if you do not have the required documents to work, that's another route entirely.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Seunblack7070: 4:41am On Mar 19
Okunrimeta:
Hi, Welcome to DFW !!! I live within the metroplex as well. For jobs, are you seeking for jobs specific to your field? Or any other field..

I would advise you constantly check the career portals of major engineering coys like texas instruments, salesforce etc. We have quite a few within the metroplex.

You may also register with major recruitment agencies like roberthalf, davron.net and nesc.com ( you can also use google to your advantage)

This land will favor you. Once again, welcome !

Well said 👍🏾

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by BIGSAM24: 12:56pm On Mar 20
Good afternoon Mr justwise and Disguy. I have my interview coming up this next month, I got an invitation letter from my brother in USA and the letter was noticrized by their court in California. All documents are fil by me. Now I want to know what to prepare for because this people are funny and behaved somehow most times and you can't predict them. Want to know what to look out for during my interview.just advice can be of help.
Good morning Mr Justwise and Mr DisGuy. I just saw that the two of you are the director of this particular section on nairaland. I love this section so much. Kudos to you.

The reason I reach out to you is because there's no thread for Nigerian community living in the US on nairaland. But if there is such thread, direct me to it, and this one can be taken down. I wish this could serve as one and in years to come, we will look back and see what we've achieved here by the grace of God.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Jannyfranc: 7:40pm On Mar 20
@justwise please help this thread,other countries are getting traffic but nothing much is moving in this USA thread.
BIGSAM24:
Good afternoon Mr justwise and Disguy. I have my interview coming up this next month, I got an invitation letter from my brother in USA and the letter was noticrized by their court in California. All documents are fil by me. Now I want to know what to prepare for because this people are funny and behaved somehow most times and you can't predict them. Want to know what to look out for during my interview.just advice can be of help.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

I Regret Coming To Canada / My Flight Experience With A Flight Attendant / How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.