Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary (49765 Views)

Lady Feels Pity For Poor Nigerians After Entering Okada For The 1st Time (video) / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ibkayee(f): 11:54am On Dec 28, 2022
OVB123:
That is thisame question i was about to ask, they don't know that 60k pounds annually is nothing to write home about. Nigerians need to learn that it is not as easy as their think.
Lol alright £60k is not 'wealthy' money but it is above the national average and a decent salary to have depending on where you live

London? Decent
Outside of London? Good
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 28, 2022
Parachoko:
See the way you dey lie boadly shocked sad angry

The divide 35000 by 365 days, my apology if you didnt do math or I forgot you never went to school and you want to japa to a foreign country.

Bravo, you make idiots look like genius.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 11:54am On Dec 28, 2022
Jack500:

Which work you dey do for UK?
I want to ask an honest question bross no vex ohh
E choke you say the guy true true send N1.3 M to 9ja in less than 3 months?/ angry angry angry plz answer genuinly

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by iamsolasoul(f): 11:54am On Dec 28, 2022
The UK is where music became a serious passion for me and I had access to the tools I needed.

Legendary locations like Abbey road attest to its history in music. I could open a digital bank without paper work and bad belle account officer

I could record music on my phone

Even as a cyber security expert i’d be paid more and per hour. UK workers are striking because people we are hailing defraud the system which leads to less money to pay workers. Some of us don’t just go to new countries to collect benefit it’s to create benefits.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Tecord1(m): 11:55am On Dec 28, 2022
matm:
High exchange rate from pound to dollar is the reason for japa.One pound is N543.00.
Now if ur salary in UK is a paltry N3000 a month.
N3000 times N543=N1629000 a month in naira.
If u are sending just IK home monthly, it's equivalent to N543000. which is far greater than the salary of a Court Judge here in Nigeria.
That's why people love japa

Point of correction. You don't use parallel market in converting. People in UK send money through apps like lemonade. The exchange rate there is £1 = 890 Ngn. That is £1k= 890,000Ngn

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ednut1(m): 11:55am On Dec 28, 2022
EvangDrGeo:

I am a young Medical Doctor in Nigeria. I am currently doing my residency in Psychiatry Medicine in OAUTH.

Can you help me to Canada. I will pay whatever it would take when I arrive cos I am not sure I have enough funds to process travel expenses due to so many people relying on my little monthly pay here because they all think a Doctor is rich.

Maybe anyone you know could send me invitation. I can my write the licensing exam when I arrive or do some paramedical (medical assistant) jobs till I get full license. And I I'll forever be indebted to you.

I am single and from Owo, Ondo state.

Whatsapp(0)
i am not an agent nor the embassy . The only person i can bring to Canada is parents, wife or kids. Canada immigration doesn’t work that way, you cannot also write licensing exams while on visit visa. For a doctor finish ya program work a little. Find your way to uk, usa , Saudi or Australia

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by mikebabs101: 11:55am On Dec 28, 2022
Kirchoffs:
My programmer friend here in Naija earns over 3m monthly here in Naija from the comfort of his home . IT guys here in Naija are swimming in money , hence no need to relocate except the offer is too good
I'm very sure , your friend is not working for a Nigeria company, your friend is working remotely for an international company and that's the reason they are paying him that amount. Getting a remote position is not easy and not many people will get lucky. The main reason it's advisable to Japa to the land of opportunities which you switch jobs and grow your career if you are in IT. I have not seen any Nigerian company that pays their workers in IT up to 3million, only international company does. If you doubt me , go on indeed and do a research yourself or mention the name of a company that pays such amount

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 11:56am On Dec 28, 2022
ibkayee:

Lol alright £60k is not 'wealthy' money but it is above the national average and a decent salary to have depending on where you live

London? Decent
Outside of London? Good
Hope you know to earn £60k your take home is approx £4300 monthly take home
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by franchasng: 11:56am On Dec 28, 2022
Thastie:
I have only been in the UK for 3 months and I have sent 1.2m naira home. If I was still in Nigeria I wouldn't have been able to send anything with my 95k salary. My dad n mom would still been sick and we would have to beg rich relatives to assists.
Also I have spent £13000 in bringing my spouse here so don't be naive.
Just migrate in the right way.
Don't mind Nigerians jareh.

For anybody living in Nigeria and earning less than 1million a month, UK is far better for that person.

Unless you are earning above 1million in Nigeria, then I can say migrating to the UK is not a smart decision, but for those earning less than 1million monthly in Nigeria, please if you can, migrate to UK legally, e get why grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ibkayee(f): 11:57am On Dec 28, 2022
pocohantas:

It is nothing special. I noticed most remote workers suffer lifestyle inflation, so I had to do my best to manage that urge. I have been cooking at home for the most part of 2022 and I only bought things that are necessary.
So true, I find myself wasting money so much more when working remotely. Especially on food
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 11:57am On Dec 28, 2022
Tecord1:

Point of correction. You don't use parallel market in converting. People in UK send money through apps like lemonade. The exchange rate there is £1 = 890 Ngn. That is £1k= 890,000Ngn
900 this morning
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ibkayee(f): 11:58am On Dec 28, 2022
erico2k2:

Hope you know to earn £60k your take home is approx £4300 monthly take home
Yes I'm very aware
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 11:58am On Dec 28, 2022
ibkayee:

So true, I find myself wasting money so much more when working remotely. Especially on food
I wish I can work remotly grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by nedekid: 11:58am On Dec 28, 2022
Parachoko:
The pay also matter
Its a bar, my manager pays 30-40k.
Usually he employs people thay stay around the area so transportation is not needed. They have acess to make their meals there in the kitchen so cost of buying food while at work is excluded.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by COMPAQ(m): 11:58am On Dec 28, 2022
ahiboilandgas:
Almost all workers are complaining in the UK and everbody is on strike on wage issue from trainr drivers to ambulance to teachers to nurses to university on strike They are complaining of poor pay debt and leaving the job . But Nigerians that are well paid are also leaving on student visa to join the strike in the .UK or cannot see the cost of living crisis in the UK . Is there something else

Many Nigerians are on poorer pay here that cannot deliver the quality of life they want.

Inflation and high cost of living is an issue pretty much everywhere right now, but the UK own is worse due to highly inflated energy prices this winter that is making it like 3 to 4 times more expensive to heat homes this winter. imagine earning £2500 a month and your gas bill goes from £120 to £480. Wettin remain to live on.

However higher paid professionals like doctors, finance guys, tech people etc will still find it easier to cope than teachers, taxi drivers,brain drivers etc.

Besides, a lot of Nigerians are going to school, so maybe it's not so bad for them.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ibkayee(f): 11:59am On Dec 28, 2022
erico2k2:

I wish I can work remotly grin grin grin
Lol it's convenient, I've come to prefer hybrid now though cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by goody234: 11:59am On Dec 28, 2022
quentin06:

Like I said before if your annual income in a developed country is not in 6 digits forget it. There is a different between living a lifestyle and renting it. The living costs there are much higher, rent is paid monthly, medicare is expensive, you have to get permits and licenses for things we take here for granted. Raising children is more expensive, taxation much more higher, here you can keep millions in your account no one bothers you over there witnout some form of immunity that money will be taken from you.

Making a lot of money without knowing how to keep it in your pocket is another route to poverty.

My brother ...that phrase 'Renting a lifestyle ' is deep very true words ppl just dont know
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 11:59am On Dec 28, 2022
ibkayee:

Yes I'm very aware
Hope you also know that such can get you a mortgage of a 4 bedroom house say £450k in a good area/location in London ?
you can also afford a good car for £500 monthly repayment, we talking range rover level now?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ExpertNLer: 12:01pm On Dec 28, 2022
There's a lot of context. One needs to realise most of the workers striking over pay are government workers. Government workers all over the world are usually not as highly paid as private sector workers - be it Canada, US, or even the UK.

Secondly, depending on the age, career trajectory and upward mobility goals - people can choose to migrate wherever they feel (it is based on what they feel, not what you feel) provides the best opportunities for them. Often, you would find people with 'good' jobs in Nigeria leave with optimism that they will get similarly good jobs abroad.

Just how in Nigeria there are jobs of 100k, 400k, 1m, 3m per month, There are jobs of all cadres in the UK and alot of Nigerians are doing those kind of jobs. There are several fresh graduates from Nigerian universities making excess of £60k a year in entry level roles in some of the best companies in the world. Within 2-3 years people are buying their first houses, able to afford vacations and grow their networth significantly while working towards acquiring an international passport.

As someone who is aware and across some of the most lucrative opportunities in Nigeria and abroad, I think people should explore whatever opportunities they deem fit. Just remember that opportunities follow a normal distribution, with a small percentage of people doing the very best jobs whatever the country.

As for the comment someone made about 'you can keep your money without anyone taking it from you' about Nigeria, alot of Nigerians growing their assets in the UK have been able to leverage ISA accounts as tax wrappers and effectively investing without any tax liabilities. Growing their networth year in year out

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 12:01pm On Dec 28, 2022
ibkayee:

Lol it's convenient, I've come to prefer hybrid now though cheesy
me my job is hands on , I know weting i 4 dey do if I can wrk remotely, look mid nxt month I get to go brazil for work cos we cnt wrk remotely
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by franchasng: 12:01pm On Dec 28, 2022
ednut1:
i am not an agent nor the agency. The only person i can bring to Canada is parents, wife or kids. Canada immigration doesn’t work that way, you cannot also write licensing exams while on visit visa. For a doctor finish ya program work a little. Find your way to uk, usa , Saudi or Australia
A Nigerian Doctor cant migrate to US on work visa easily cos the process is very rigorous and tedious.

Nigerian trained Doctors still need to write a very tough exam lol to qualify to practice as Doctor in US.

The easiest option for Nigerian trained Doctors is UK, followed by Australia.

Arab countries no follow, those countries are mad, its better to remain in Nigeria cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 28, 2022
erico2k2:

people get Mortgage on such salary. Feed.

We re talking about the quality of life, feed what? Before 2015 families earning less than 70K could afford a bag of rice which was around 8k then in Nigeria, how many families earning less than 70k can now afford a bag of rice going for 50k on a monthly basis?

The quality of earnings matter in the long run , because there is what economics call time value of money. In 2019 the average cost of a decent smart phone tanked at 50k, how much is the average cost of a decent smart phone now? Over 120k ( thats just for a decent one) Someone earning 100k in 2019 will struggle to replace his or her new phone unless they have other things doing.

People still eat here in Nigeria, maybe 3 square meals too, but what do they eat, some eat meals worth 50k at a time other eat meals worth less than 500 naira, on the surface they all eat.

Its like the proverbial tale of lizards lying on their stomachs, cant tell which one has stomach ache on the surface.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 12:03pm On Dec 28, 2022
nedekid:

Its a bar, my manager pays 30-40k.
Usually he employs people thay stay around the area so transportation is not needed. They have acess to make their meals there in the kitchen so cost of buying food while at work is excluded.
Guys in 9ja do not understand this lol someone here wrote they sent N1.3 M savings back to 9ja in 3 months someone was asking what Job they did imagine £1500 ohhhhh

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by franchasng: 12:03pm On Dec 28, 2022
ibkayee:

lol, because women love food a lot cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by NohurryInLife: 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2022
lajid:

I’m actually even thinking of hopefully see if I can relocate to Australia or Canada through a big four brand. I don’t like UK heard things are too expensive there. At least you can still save more in the other countries
Sorry brother, what do you mean by big four brand??
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2022
quentin06:

We re talking about the quality of life, feed what? Before 2015 families earning less than 70K could afford a bag of rice which was around 8k then in Nigeria, how many families earning less than 70k can now afford a bag of rice going for 50k on a monthly basis?

The quality of earnings matter in the long run , because there is what economics call time value of money. In 2019 the average cost of a decent smart phone tanked at 50k, how much is the average cost of a decent smart phone now? Over 120k ( thats just for a decent one) Someone earning 100k in 2019 will struggle to replace his or her new phone unless they have other things doing.

People still eat here in Nigeria, maybe 3 square meals too, but what do they eat, some eat meals worth 50k at a time other eat meals worth less than 500 naira, on the surface they all eat.

Its like the proverbial tale of lizards lying on their stomachs, cant tell which one has stomach ache on the surface.
Bross chilax, read what I wrote b4 you jump to post[b], Im talking Pounds not Naira.[/b]
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ibkayee(f): 12:07pm On Dec 28, 2022
erico2k2:

Hope you also know that such can get you a mortgage of a 4 bedroom house say £450k in a good area/location in London ?
you can also afford a good car for £500 monthly repayment, we talking range rover level now?
You are not getting a mortgage for a £450k house with £60k alone unless you have a very large deposit

Like I said, the poster was exaggerating (or just didn’t know what he was talking about) when he called it ‘nothing to write home about’, however it’s not wealthy money in London, just decent

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ibkayee(f): 12:08pm On Dec 28, 2022
erico2k2:

me my job is hands on , I know weting i 4 dey do if I can wrk remotely, look mid nxt month I get to go brazil for work cos we cnt wrk remotely
Ooh nice, I hope you enjoy Brazil smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by ibkayee(f): 12:09pm On Dec 28, 2022
franchasng:
lol, because women love food a lot cheesy
Food is nice cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by mfm04622: 12:10pm On Dec 28, 2022
Jokerman:

You can imagine

Someone whom I know went to Australia and started doing cleaning.... I know what he makes per month.

How much is he saving per month?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by erico2k2(m): 12:10pm On Dec 28, 2022
COMPAQ:

Many Nigerians are on poorer pay here that cannot deliver the quality of life they want.

Inflation and high cost of living is an issue pretty much everywhere right now, but the UK own is worse due to highly inflated energy prices this winter that is making it like 3 to 4 times more expensive to heat homes this winter. imagine earning £2500 a month and your gas bill goes from £120 to £480. Wettin remain to live on.

However higher paid professionals like doctors, finance guys, tech people etc will still find it easier to cope than teachers, taxi drivers,brain drivers etc.

Besides, a lot of Nigerians are going to school, so maybe it's not so bad for them.
Long time Sir, how have you been, we still dey NL ahah, good to hear from you bro
Re: Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary by Parachoko: 12:11pm On Dec 28, 2022
Kingluqman:
A relative (living in the US) told me yesterday "why not Australia?", when I discussed with her about trying to relocate to the US with my family. She gave her reasons and I appreciated her words. Coming across this is another eye-opener for me.

Please if there is any link oo!! Help
If nah USA link you get, go USA.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) / Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers / #EndSARS: Tanker Drivers Shutdown Yola- Jalingo Highway Over Police Brutality

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.