Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,083 members, 7,828,807 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (39905 Views)

What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians In Malaysia Do For A Living? / Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jaephoenix(m): 12:43am On Dec 29, 2022
blueAgent:

As usual.

Who stopped slavery and why ?
King George the third and then William Wilberforce. Why the stopped slavery? That's a daft question. Its morally bad, they all knew it was bad but nobody had the guts and power to do anything. King George and Wilberforce could do much because they were king and politician, respectively.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by faceland: 12:46am On Dec 29, 2022
Originalsly:
I believe the opposite ... that one gets more religious when abroad. If one was a church goer in Nigeria ... when he goes abroad he will attend church because it is a must for him on Sundays ... a sin if he doesn't. When he gets to the church abroad ... he will see a huge difference... the biggest being collecting money is not a priority... they usually collect once or maybe twice if there is a special offering. If you give or don't give ... give much or give little doesn't matter at all... if you give $100 000 dollars you wouldn't be praised or be given special attention. The preaching will be to lift you spiritually ... help keep you away from worldly vices ... not about squeezing more money out of you. It is then your eyes will open and you realize all the while you were being scammed back home. It is then you will decide to be religious.... to see things differently... to realize all the hollering and screaming was a sham and not tolerated abroad as it is expected back home to prove you are filled with a spirit. It is then you will know it is written God helps those who help themselves ... and there will be no midnight prayer vigils to go to for God to favor you and get a job for you while you sit at home waiting. Over to you!

Any Nigerian church. if the pastor say "someone would be BLESSED today", you would hear a loud Aaaaaaaamen! Church is filled with damaged, desperate and fearful people looking for one thing or the other are running from one thing or the other (not everyone of cause).

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by ISellBeer: 12:52am On Dec 29, 2022
SReporters:
By Jett-Iyke Amaechi

I asked a friend that traveled abroad when he told me about the decline in his spiritual life.

"Or is it that they don't allow you pray over there? Tell me."

The abroad guy responded, "No, it is not so. You are allowed to pray here.

But when you get here you will realize that a lot of things that we perceive to be spiritual are not.

They are a product of failures, from government and ourselves.

You will meet a system and an ideology that will challenge your previous beliefs.

Imagine that here, you don't pray to fill gas, own a house, a car, go to school or have your children attend one of the best schools.

But in Nigeria, sometimes you even pray to have your three square meal per day."

"The thing tire me." I replied.

Then he continued, "You don't even pray to get a job.

There are agencies saddled with that responsibility and they do their best to get you a job in 2 months.

And once you get that job your life becomes a product of leverage, the one we acknowledge as grace in Nigeria.

But this grace doesn't come from above, it comes from the government.

Your child can even go to university and graduate without paying a dime.

As the child begins to work, the government will gradually deducts his fees from his salary in a way that it won't even affect the child.

Under such atmosphere, if it's you, you will change and behave like me.

You won't even suspect your uncles, you will know they have no hand in your failure or success.

I don't suspect my uncle's anymore. Infact, I even call them on phone now.

We are closer than before. Life is really a mystery.

A traveller is wiser than a gray-haired man.

But I will advise you, you know the government we have, do your best and come to this place.

You will thank God you did."

At this instance, I was weak. " So our government had made us to hate our uncles like this when we should have loved them.

Oh! As I have become an uncle now, tomorrow my nephews and nieces will hate me thinking that I'm responsible for their failures.

When I'm innocent. God forbid! Some of our uncles may be dying in silence of their innocency.

God will help them.

So, our government made us pray about every issue of life no matter how small and jump from one prayer house to another.

It shall not be well with them." I concluded.

" I think you now understand," We ended the call.

I was in deep thinking of what to do.

"Should we all leave this country and runaway? No, all of us aren't meant to travel overseas." I muttered those words.

But you that read to this point, what do you think?

https://www.solutionreporters.com/2022/12/24/why-do-nigerians-become-less-religious-when-they-travel-abroad/

Because religion na scam
If not why do the world has different religions
Christian pastors contradicting others

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Ginomel(m): 1:02am On Dec 29, 2022
Yankee101:
Most material prayers are answered in those countries
But after you accumulate materials you find emptiness
The suicide rate went high during Covid till date when government provided plenty of money and food and accommodation reprieves for everyone

That’s why you realize spiritual connection to God through Jesus Christ in the Power of the Holy Spirit is not only necessary but essential

So you connect to God not for materials, but your source as Creator, Guard, Guide and Fulfilment

Houses of worship shut down and folks were killing thwmswlves like flies

The churches had the highest number of online steamers ever

Brilliant post. Outside material reasons, we really still need God for that spiritual fulfillment.

Life without Christ is full of crises, depression, mental torture etc.

God is the only hope.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by omonnakoda: 1:51am On Dec 29, 2022
Ginomel:

Brilliant post. Outside material reasons, we really still need God for that spiritual fulfillment.

Life without Christ is full of crises, depression, mental torture etc.

God is the only hope.
Maybe that is true............For You

Does not mean it is true ............For everybody . You assume that what is true for YOU .

MUST be true for everybody

You simply do not know that

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by omonnakoda: 1:55am On Dec 29, 2022
jaephoenix:

King George the third and then William Wilberforce. Why the stopped slavery? That's a daft question. Its morally bad, they all knew it was bad but nobody had the guts and power to do anything. King George and Wilberforce could do much because they were king and politician, respectively.
Did you ever meet Wilberforce? Did any of your family members? Is it not what THEY wrote that you are now parroting as if you were there. King George did XYZ .How do you know> The same Oyinbo na im talk am and the same you na im swallow am
Na them write the history no be us
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by nedekid: 2:01am On Dec 29, 2022
They face reality.
Those that even go to church use it to have a sense of community, to make contacts too.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by uvie66: 2:07am On Dec 29, 2022
SReporters:

That is why Nigeria is the most religious country in the world.... Because we are actually one of the poorest countries
..yes we expect something from nothing, putting in a lot of effort into church going rather than enterprise, oyinbo wey nodey go church still prosperous pass us

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Judybash93(m): 2:28am On Dec 29, 2022
Because 80% of the things you pray for are available over there grin
Moreover, the richer the country, the less religious their people tend to be. They believe in themselves rather than believing in a supernatural deity!
Guess what? Crime rates also tend to be low grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by overseasnbeyond: 2:54am On Dec 29, 2022
Is not easy buddy, you get paid hourly unlike Nigeria where you get paid for not working.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Wkaay(m): 2:58am On Dec 29, 2022
Because their government had done all we are asking God to do for us in prayer here
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by InvertedHammer: 4:29am On Dec 29, 2022
SReporters:
By Jett-Iyke Amaechi

I asked a friend that traveled abroad when he told me about the decline in his spiritual life.

"Or is it that they don't allow you pray over there? Tell me."

The abroad guy responded, "No, it is not so. You are allowed to pray here.

But when you get here you will realize that a lot of things that we perceive to be spiritual are not.

They are a product of failures, from government and ourselves.

You will meet a system and an ideology that will challenge your previous beliefs.

Imagine that here, you don't pray to fill gas, own a house, a car, go to school or have your children attend one of the best schools.

But in Nigeria, sometimes you even pray to have your three square meal per day."

"The thing tire me." I replied.

Then he continued, "You don't even pray to get a job.

There are agencies saddled with that responsibility and they do their best to get you a job in 2 months.

And once you get that job your life becomes a product of leverage, the one we acknowledge as grace in Nigeria.

But this grace doesn't come from above, it comes from the government.

Your child can even go to university and graduate without paying a dime.

As the child begins to work, the government will gradually deducts his fees from his salary in a way that it won't even affect the child.

Under such atmosphere, if it's you, you will change and behave like me.

You won't even suspect your uncles, you will know they have no hand in your failure or success.

I don't suspect my uncle's anymore. Infact, I even call them on phone now.

We are closer than before. Life is really a mystery.

A traveller is wiser than a gray-haired man.

But I will advise you, you know the government we have, do your best and come to this place.

You will thank God you did."

At this instance, I was weak. " So our government had made us to hate our uncles like this when we should have loved them.

Oh! As I have become an uncle now, tomorrow my nephews and nieces will hate me thinking that I'm responsible for their failures.

When I'm innocent. God forbid! Some of our uncles may be dying in silence of their innocency.

God will help them.

So, our government made us pray about every issue of life no matter how small and jump from one prayer house to another.

It shall not be well with them." I concluded.

" I think you now understand," We ended the call.

I was in deep thinking of what to do.

"Should we all leave this country and runaway? No, all of us aren't meant to travel overseas." I muttered those words.

But you that read to this point, what do you think?

https://www.solutionreporters.com/2022/12/24/why-do-nigerians-become-less-religious-when-they-travel-abroad/
/

There are still many religious Nigerians abroad. Although if you get closer, you will notice that they are trying to solve problems which could be financial or otherwise. Those who are well-adapted rarely go to church unless for the heck of it.

/

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by toprealman: 4:33am On Dec 29, 2022
A traveller is wiser than a gray-haired man....deep that!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by OLULAW: 4:50am On Dec 29, 2022
Poverty and insecurity are two of the main reasons why people are religious in Nigeria. Even the rich people know they’re not secured, so they trust in God. Financially, their wealth can disappear. Materially, their wealth could be consumed by fire, fraudsters, etc. Physically, their health could deteriorate and no good healthcare system in place to help them. Worst still, rich men's or women's drivers, househelps, etc., are known to have arranged their boss' abduction/kidnap and extortion/ransom and in many cases, killing. So their money and connections in high places can't save them. So they trust in God/charms, etc., for protection.

Conversely, in the developed world, you don’t worry about these things. I'm not insinuating there are no crimes in Europe and North America. That woukd be foolhardy. In my 30 years experience of the UK, you can set out on a road trip at 8pm from Glasgow (Scotland) heading to Exeter (Southwest England), driving all through the night (over 8 hours drive) without fearing armed robbers or bandits’ attack. You can even stop in lay byes in the middle of nowhere, all by yourself, with no one in sight. Nobody will jump out of the bush to rob or kidnap you. You feel generally safe and your needs are met if you cut your coat according to your purse.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Bruxxels: 5:58am On Dec 29, 2022
The reasons are many, actually. Imagine someone who is only coming to the church because he is trying to please people I.e. pastor, parents etc, once he gets abroad he may stop attending church automatically. Definitely, he is not a devoted Christian. Another thing is backsliding, because ease of life in abroad it is easy to forget son of whom you are. Tendency to feel belong in abroad is high.
And for some, it is just a drive to make ends meet. For instance, students picking several shifts, especially on weekends, to pay for his tuition and other living expenses may forget about church.
So when you look at the whole thing, it is all about your conviction. Moving from one country to another doesn't change whom God is. He is the same everywhere. Foreigners come to Lagos to seek God's intervention for the crises in their lives and families now.
Nobody will force you to seek God when you get an issue that defy orthodox therapy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Teymanhenry(f): 6:16am On Dec 29, 2022
The thing is Nigerians think prayer is magic. We refuse to intentionally repair or work on a system yet we except things to change. We refuse to vote out a failed system. Yet when we pray we ask God to give our president the foresight to build a better nation. Which foresight God wan give old Buhari?? Yet some people are rooting for old Tinubu. How do you think this will end??
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by TemmyT002(m): 6:32am On Dec 29, 2022
Says who?
Who do think give the most tithes to pastors and prophets in Nigeria?
Na abroad people
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by DavidEsq(m): 6:36am On Dec 29, 2022
TWoods:

That is not written anywhere.
The werey dey misyarn grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Bestbeelieve: 6:36am On Dec 29, 2022
you go come to the true understanding of the saying ...time is money!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by baretalk: 6:46am On Dec 29, 2022
blueAgent:

Clown.

Do you even reason at all?

Count all the entrepreneurs and owners of successful businesses in Nigeria,professors, Engineers ,wealthy ppl ,ppl that have made their name in any endeavour in this country and tell me the numbers that are atheist or non religious.
Mumu, so they will announce it to you. You fools should stop placing all Nigerians in same zombie mentality level as you, speak for yourself, your family and tribe, you don't know about others.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 29, 2022
blueAgent:

Clown.

Am sure you have never created any successful business or project, and you want us to believe that the founder and owners of all the indigenous succesfull enterprises in Nigeria are like you( irreligious)

Why is it paining you? They re irreligious BTW.
What has your religious nature done for society? Cretin!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by gentlegenius(m): 7:31am On Dec 29, 2022
olisefom:
most so called religious people in Nigeria are being religious from the place of fear of evil, and not the love for God.
This is very true.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by FirstSense: 7:44am On Dec 29, 2022
My brother if any Christian says the reason he prays is so that he only can get things from God then the person is not a strong Christian.

Christian pray because it's talking with your father in heaven, the reason you talk to your biological father is not so he will pay your school fees or give you food. It's fellowship.

So please I don't pray to God to just get job, school fees or that, Prayer is much more than that.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Krak(m): 8:14am On Dec 29, 2022
okoroemeka:
we pray for or against everything in nigeria even for electricity and husband,a country you see able bodied men and women praying for miracle on a Wednesday morning

Imagine I saw someone spreading clothes to dry and then praying to God to make the clothes to dry.

I said to the person that God already provided abundant sun so that prayer is just a waste of energy. She told me I am an apostate.

It seems that our over dependence on the divine has made so many people here to become very lazy to work. Many now depend on God to provide daily bread for them. That's why religious institutions of all forms are thriving here.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by JastSiryin(m): 8:15am On Dec 29, 2022
emmaodet:
Because you don’t pray for the basic things you need in life.

What do you think most church goers pray for? God please grant me visa, before the end of 2022, I must own a car, a house, God grant me job.
Every spirit of alter from my father’s house, that is making me to experience amubo- disappointment or frustration or promise and fail in my job interviews die by fire.
It is many bro but in abroad, getting a job is normal provided you are healthy, not lazy and want to work, riding a car is normal when you have a job and pick up a mortgage, a car is yours.
Traveling for vacation to nearby cheap countries is normal since you are working.
So why should you go to church regularly or start disturbing God with your regular I receive it, I receive it.
Poverty is the root cause of many in church.
So many people are so poor that they forgot to take their sick to their sick to the hospital rather they will take them to church/prayer mountains etc and the prophets will start lying to them that it is attack from home. Which nonsense attack?
Reason why I hate keeping my problems away from my family. They are too religious for my liken.
My brother had serious malaria some years ago, instead of taking him to hospital, due to poverty, my parent started praying for him, putting annoiting oil on his head and speaking in tongue, when it got worse they ran to call nurse abele - local street nurse wey don collect freedom and get her own small chemist.
If not that I arrived that night and saw the terrible situation where the boy was shivering aggressively and quietly dying, he would have died for no reason due to poverty.
Took him to hospital, when they saw his situation sef, the nurses were just shaking their heads that we almost killed the boy.
Long story short, I spent a fortune reviving the boy and after that my parent started saying it is attack from home that most prophets they called pointed to attack from home.

Abegiiiiiii

I no dey for that one.

We pray for silly things which are normally to be gotten in saner climes …. Basic amenities.

I hate it when people come out for testimonies of getting visa (visa ooooooo), buying a tokunbo or second hand car and the pastor will lay his hand on it and bless it (not brand new ooo)

Abeg I don tire.
Those "visa testimonies" absolutely disgust me to no end angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by olamee17(f): 8:18am On Dec 29, 2022
Wow! I’m feeling bad reading this ☹️

It is not only our government that has failed us, we have also failed as a citizen because there are some things that we should take care as an individual but we all wait and shift the responsibility on government.

For instance, working in an organization (private) and not being paid for four (4) months and the boss doesn’t feel bothered just because he feels he’s doing you a favor by paying you and will only pay when he feels like paying, this will subject you to prayer so God can touch his heart to pay …. Nigeria is bleeped ☹️☹️☹️
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Willie2015: 8:23am On Dec 29, 2022
Judybash93:
Because 80% of the things you pray for are available over there grin
Moreover, the richer the country, the less religious their people tend to be. They believe in themselves rather than believing in a supernatural deity!
Guess what? Crime rates also tend to be low grin

Folks are wicked over here...
Check out our leaders ...very wicked set of leaders...
U have governors who has not pay workers for six months...
Workplace is another tough zone ..very terrible set of managers.
Some are even diabolical ...
Things wont work when you have wicked people as leaders...
Masses dont have any option than to turn to the Church...

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by wisdomkid: 8:24am On Dec 29, 2022
Swears, it is truly sad how these things works. But knowing your creator where there is plenty, is now a true test
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 8:37am On Dec 29, 2022
Ofodirinwa:
Access to information, education. Nigeria is really a strange place and once you leave Nigeria you realize that a lot of what was normal there is not normal for human beings as a whole

I tell you
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:37am On Dec 29, 2022
sotall:
Because the whole religion thing is a scam.

Religion is one of the factors that limits Nigeria from developing.

Imagine a people that are constantly being told to believe they are going to heaven that earth is not their home.

My head correct when I realize say the goal of my pastor sef nah sey e wan dey dey more successful pas me for this earth lamo grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Current State Of The Obalende Bus Terminal (Photos) / 12-Year-Old Boy Drowns While Swimming With Friends In Ilorin (Graphic) / Port Harcourt-Aba-Maiduguri Eastern Railway Corridor Construction Speeds Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.