Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,558 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (39850 Views)

What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians In Malaysia Do For A Living? / Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by awoo10(m): 7:14pm On Dec 28, 2022
You dont have to bother God when all your prayer requests have been provided by the system...

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nairalander248: 7:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
A new Nigeria is POssible with Peter Obi

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by dazzlingd(m): 7:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
Religion is for fools

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Dec 28, 2022
ednut1:
Many of them are still religious, but time is money abroad. You may have worked 12 hours overnight. You no go get time go church on Sunday.
They do remain just as religious abeg! Only say life abroad forces all of them to pocket their religion the moment they step out of their homes. undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by BabaAgba79(m): 7:17pm On Dec 28, 2022
SReporters:
By Jett-Iyke Amaechi

I asked a friend that traveled abroad when he told me about the decline in his spiritual life.

"Or is it that they don't allow you pray over there? Tell me."

The abroad guy responded, "No, it is not so. You are allowed to pray here.

But when you get here you will realize that a lot of things that we perceive to be spiritual are not.

They are a product of failures, from government and ourselves.

You will meet a system and an ideology that will challenge your previous beliefs.

Imagine that here, you don't pray to fill gas, own a house, a car, go to school or have your children attend one of the best schools.

But in Nigeria, sometimes you even pray to have your three square meal per day."

"The thing tire me." I replied.

Then he continued, "You don't even pray to get a job.

There are agencies saddled with that responsibility and they do their best to get you a job in 2 months.

And once you get that job your life becomes a product of leverage, the one we acknowledge as grace in Nigeria.

But this grace doesn't come from above, it comes from the government.

Your child can even go to university and graduate without paying a dime.

As the child begins to work, the government will gradually deducts his fees from his salary in a way that it won't even affect the child.

Under such atmosphere, if it's you, you will change and behave like me.

You won't even suspect your uncles, you will know they have no hand in your failure or success.

I don't suspect my uncle's anymore. Infact, I even call them on phone now.

We are closer than before. Life is really a mystery.

A traveller is wiser than a gray-haired man.

But I will advise you, you know the government we have, do your best and come to this place.

You will thank God you did."

At this instance, I was weak. " So our government had made us to hate our uncles like this when we should have loved them.

Oh! As I have become an uncle now, tomorrow my nephews and nieces will hate me thinking that I'm responsible for their failures.

When I'm innocent. God forbid! Some of our uncles may be dying in silence of their innocency.

God will help them.

So, our government made us pray about every issue of life no matter how small and jump from one prayer house to another.

It shall not be well with them." I concluded.

" I think you now understand," We ended the call.

I was in deep thinking of what to do.

"Should we all leave this country and runaway? No, all of us aren't meant to travel overseas." I muttered those words.

But you that read to this point, what do you think?

https://www.solutionreporters.com/2022/12/24/why-do-nigerians-become-less-religious-when-they-travel-abroad/

I did not travel abroad b4 I knew all these. In fact, I got to know this from the university having been exposed to much studies as a Literature student. Travelling abroad is good but nothing to brag about. Na poverty dey make person think this way! Religion is a big scam! Opium of the masses! I demistyfied poverty, godism, and religion! Pls, be enlightened b4 u travel!

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Ofodirinwa: 7:17pm On Dec 28, 2022
Access to information, education. Nigeria is really a strange place and once you leave Nigeria you realize that a lot of what was normal there is not normal for human beings as a whole

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by olisefom: 7:17pm On Dec 28, 2022
Poverty and lots of uncertainty fuels our being religious here. It reduces once you get to better country. There's obviously less to pray for. Moreso, most so called religious people in Nigeria are being religious from the place of fear of evil, and not the love for God.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by ATLIEN2027: 7:18pm On Dec 28, 2022
Religion is the opium of the poor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by ufotty2001: 7:18pm On Dec 28, 2022
Nigerians are too religious here..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Ofodirinwa: 7:19pm On Dec 28, 2022
ednut1:
Many of them are still religious, but time is money abroad. You may have worked 12 hours overnight. You no go get time go church on Sunday.

Time is money in Nigeria. This is an excuse. I have hired Nigerians for my company who will be trying to go to church during work hours. Time is money everywhere, but Nigerians will go to church Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and wonder why they're poor

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Papichulostunne(m): 7:19pm On Dec 28, 2022
It is because of how religio has being inculcated in the mind of Nigerians. Churches like 10 in a street but no development. No light. No better tarrdd road. The white man PRAY and put in WORK .. Here we PRAY and wait on God. We forgwt that God blesses the WORK of our hands

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by rex21: 7:19pm On Dec 28, 2022
We are greedy Christians

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by baretalk: 7:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
Lots of non religious people in Nigeria, everyone is not a dumb religious zombie or foolish as you or the people where you are. It seems a lot of people travel abroad from villages grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Pabproperties(m): 7:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
Because the system provides 70% of their prayer point ...... they believe it’s not necessary

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by ATLIEN2027: 7:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
Nairalander248:
A new Nigeria is POssible with Peter Obi
Stop lying like pandora pathological liar Obi tuary. What did he do in the past that makes you think he can do wonders now? He was failed Governor for 8 yrs.
I beg stop the nonsense.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Ayo8(m): 7:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
seguntijan:
When you have good government and people, and the Economy is working, You would realize that we ask God for what we ought to have done ourselves or ask the government.

Loud it!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Oceanjagaban: 7:21pm On Dec 28, 2022
Because the government over there has done almost everything that we are praying for God to do here

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jedisco(m): 7:21pm On Dec 28, 2022
Nairaland and abroad matter....
Is this how high the japa fever is?

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:22pm On Dec 28, 2022
smiley Don't believe in forcing anyone to believe in anything, be decent first. For myself, i believe Jesus is the way to God, if you do not believe its your choice. Sometimes i prefer to stay at home for the sanity of my mind first. I do enjoy staying at home, rather than going to a church and experiencing drama. I remember when i go to some church, and it about displaying wealth, competing with each other, showing who is who, sometimes people fight immediately after going to church, does not make sense to go to that type of place, unless you have some agenda or goals.

Although the bible encourages the children of God to not forsake the gathering, so that encourages me.

Outside Nigeria, most things are available when you work hard for them, many things we see as spiritual are not so in other countries, they are normal, because the system functions properly. Its easy to move from one place to another, it is safe to walk by 2 am at night without harassment. They never take light, electricity is 24/7. Jobs are available and you will be employed according to your skills.

In an abnormal country, you need a higher power to soothe your mind, and sometimes people do not help matters, they are already with bad minds or their predisposition is that of a wild animal, so they make the situation very bad.

You cannot compare a Nigerian to a normal human being, they have damaged the people, they have bad mindset, very self centered, not reliable people, very selfish and they are not capable of thinking properly and logically, they are very self centered, the universe revolves around only each and every one of them, they still use ladies pants for wealth generation grin grin grin.

My Dear, you need to pray in Nigeria, and be close to the creator, to survive the harsh wild people.

Ofodirinwa:
Access to information, education. Nigeria is really a strange place and once you leave Nigeria you realize that a lot of what was normal there is not normal for human beings as a whole

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Najdorf: 7:22pm On Dec 28, 2022
Religion is so strong in Nigeria, and Africa in general, due to hardship. Hence, the prosperity of the "prosperity churches".

In a place where you're facing less hardship there's less desire for religion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by dapsoneh: 7:22pm On Dec 28, 2022
Cos more than 90% of their problems have been solved by the govt

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by IrepChrist: 7:22pm On Dec 28, 2022
SReporters:
By Jett-Iyke Amaechi

I asked a friend that traveled abroad when he told me about the decline in his spiritual life.

"Or is it that they don't allow you pray over there? Tell me."

The abroad guy responded, "No, it is not so. You are allowed to pray here.

But when you get here you will realize that a lot of things that we perceive to be spiritual are not.

They are a product of failures, from government and ourselves.

You will meet a system and an ideology that will challenge your previous beliefs.

Imagine that here, you don't pray to fill gas, own a house, a car, go to school or have your children attend one of the best schools.

But in Nigeria, sometimes you even pray to have your three square meal per day."

"The thing tire me." I replied.

Then he continued, "You don't even pray to get a job.

There are agencies saddled with that responsibility and they do their best to get you a job in 2 months.

And once you get that job your life becomes a product of leverage, the one we acknowledge as grace in Nigeria.

But this grace doesn't come from above, it comes from the government.

Your child can even go to university and graduate without paying a dime.

As the child begins to work, the government will gradually deducts his fees from his salary in a way that it won't even affect the child.

Under such atmosphere, if it's you, you will change and behave like me.

You won't even suspect your uncles, you will know they have no hand in your failure or success.

I don't suspect my uncle's anymore. Infact, I even call them on phone now.

We are closer than before. Life is really a mystery.

A traveller is wiser than a gray-haired man.

But I will advise you, you know the government we have, do your best and come to this place.

You will thank God you did."

At this instance, I was weak. " So our government had made us to hate our uncles like this when we should have loved them.

Oh! As I have become an uncle now, tomorrow my nephews and nieces will hate me thinking that I'm responsible for their failures.

When I'm innocent. God forbid! Some of our uncles may be dying in silence of their innocency.

God will help them.

So, our government made us pray about every issue of life no matter how small and jump from one prayer house to another.

It shall not be well with them." I concluded.

" I think you now understand," We ended the call.

I was in deep thinking of what to do.

"Should we all leave this country and runaway? No, all of us aren't meant to travel overseas." I muttered those words.

But you that read to this point, what do you think?

https://www.solutionreporters.com/2022/12/24/why-do-nigerians-become-less-religious-when-they-travel-abroad/

I refuse to accept this lie....
If you suddenly loose your fellowship and relationship with God because you traveled to the west, then you never really loved God.
Seeking God should not to predicated on certain conditions. This has been my burden.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by adanshe: 7:22pm On Dec 28, 2022
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2022
This is my experience I don't know about others. people stop praying for things that they have control over, when you see those Nigerians sleeping in Nigerian churches, they either don't have legal papers or they don't have money for one sickness or the other, the other people who go to church are those who just want to give thanks to God or just want to show off their new ride or a nice suit.
people here have so many motives, so you cannot just put them in one bucket.

but the whole speaking in tongues and rolling on the floor so that you will have power or be able to buy gas is nonexistent here

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by abobote: 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2022
You friend said it all, once you leave Nigeria, you will know better

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by nepapole(m): 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2022
What's all these thread about relocating sef? It's getting too much and boring.
People shud go if they wanna and stay back if they don't .

All these threads are becoming tiring biko..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nairalander248: 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2022
ATLIEN2027:

Stop lying like pandora pathological liar Obi tuary. What did he do in the past that makes you think he can do wonders now? He was failed Governor for 8 yrs.
I beg stop the nonsense.
this wailing will continue in 8years

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jaxxy(m): 7:24pm On Dec 28, 2022
Lol cos they are prentenders, They came to Christianity for solve their problems and needs and that was the most important thing in life to them. Once those needs are solved they don't have much need for God.

Same happened in Jesus time and he knew, many where coming because of miracles, food and poverty only few came for salvation. He corrected them.

However going to church doesn't exactly make u a Christian.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by viodemus: 7:24pm On Dec 28, 2022
You go cun find out say time dey high table with God and im trusted ones.

There is time for everything.

You go also find out say nowhere is perfect. American kids like other far distance reasonable countries kids, can be very disrespectful and it is encouraged even more.

You go see say African leaders and followers are one bar or even one micro bar above animals, den no dey use reasonings or logic for immediate or long term purposes.

Some people for abroad dey see far, like dem can tell say oga Tinubu na for show and no content, Oga Atiku na for entitlement based on tribe, and oga Peter Obi go still get some mumu and corrupt officials for him cabinet.
Na who get wisdom to withstand, auto correct, and continue in a lighting speed to greatness

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by phorget(m): 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2022
The word ”RELIGION” is a scam!
When we live by morals then we would realize what damage religion has caused us.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by faceLAGOS: 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2022
Thank god I don dey “dereligionize” myself sef for Nigeria.

I’m a gnostic Christian slowly but steadily evolving into an atheist.

I’ve known religion to be scam.

God delivered Paul & Silas but couldn’t deliver late Deborah & the worshippers in owo massacre.

Modified: Leah Sharibu also comes to mind.

I hope religious people ask questions.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Bentonite1: 7:26pm On Dec 28, 2022
When your there, what else do you have to pray for hahahah?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Port Harcourt-Aba-Maiduguri Eastern Railway Corridor Construction Speeds Up / Nigerian Man Dies In Plane While Travelling Back To Malaysia / Lol… Another Nigerian Man Seen Eating Pounded Yam In U.S Train

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.