Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,930 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (39831 Views)

What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians In Malaysia Do For A Living? / Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 28, 2022
because they have become separated from the toxic religious environment that is Nigeria, then they get to see a new society where things work and they don’t have to depend on religious semantics to prosper

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by maasoap(m): 7:27pm On Dec 28, 2022
emmaodet:
Because you don’t pray for the basic things you need in life.

What do you think most church goers pray for? God please grant me visa, before the end of 2022, I must own a car, a house, God grant me job.
Every spirit of alter from my father’s house, that is making me to experience amubo- disappointment or frustration or promise and fail in my job interviews die by fire.
It is many bro but in abroad, getting a job is normal provided you are healthy, not lazy and want to work, riding a car is normal when you have a job and pick up a mortgage, a car is yours.
Traveling for vacation to nearby cheap countries is normal since you are working.
So why should you go to church regularly or start disturbing God with your regular I receive it, I receive it.
Poverty is the root cause of many in church.
So many people are so poor that they forgot to take their sick to their sick to the hospital rather they will take them to church/prayer mountains etc and the prophets will start lying to them that it is attack from home. Which nonsense attack?
Reason why I hate keeping my problems away from my family. They are too religious for my liken.
My brother had serious malaria some years ago, instead of taking him to hospital, due to poverty, my parent started praying for him, putting annoiting oil on his head and speaking in tongue, when it got worse they ran to call nurse abele - local street nurse wey don collect freedom and get her own small chemist.
If not that I arrived that night and saw the terrible situation where the boy was shivering aggressively and quietly dying, he would have died for no reason due to poverty.
Took him to hospital, when they saw his situation sef, the nurses were just shaking their heads that we almost killed the boy.
Long story short, I spent a fortune reviving the boy and after that my parent started saying it is attack from home that most prophets they called pointed to attack from home.

Abegiiiiiii

I no dey for that one.

We pray for silly things which are normally to be gotten in saner climes …. Basic amenities.

I hate it when people come out for testimonies of getting visa (visa ooooooo), buying a tokunbo or second hand car and the pastor will lay his hand on it and bless it (not brand new ooo)

Abeg I don tire.

Sometimes and in a situations like this, it could be ignorance. Malaria drugs don't cost that much.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Konjiboii: 7:27pm On Dec 28, 2022
We only exist while the western world are actually living the life intended for humans, once the veil is off you will see the world how it truly is and things like religion and bad leadership will have you asking questions.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by okoroemeka(m): 7:27pm On Dec 28, 2022
phrancys001:
True talk
we pray for or against everything in nigeria even for electricity and husband,a country you see able bodied men and women praying for miracle on a Wednesday morning

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Greenscientist: 7:29pm On Dec 28, 2022
gaby:
The day Nigeria progresses into a nation with the welfare of her citizens at the heart of its policies overall, you'd understand.

Just imagine a situation where you are assured of a job and timely pay as and when due, access to healthcare, and every other social amenity. And then to cap it all up, even when you aren't able to work, you have access to social welfare benefits.

My brother, the day majority of Nigerians working or not can just walk down to the next ATM at the end of each monthly cycle to make withdrawals of their salaries or stipend from the government, church businesses will become obsolete and relationships with religion will become personal and organic.

The current style of Christianity in particular is a result of "surrendering it all to God" since the government has failed in every aspect of caring for the citizens.

Humans have resigned to fate and hope endlessly for succor from supernatural forces or beings.

I don't worship God because of what I will get from it. Islamically, The closer you're to God, the more likely you are to face life complications. So, a good Muslim won't worship because he expect to gain something from it but we worship because he worship is the purpose of his life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by bobkezel(m): 7:30pm On Dec 28, 2022
A lot of things you pray to God to provide have been provided by the government.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by PoliteActivist: 7:30pm On Dec 28, 2022
nepapole:
What's all these thread about relocating sef? It's getting too much and boring.
People shud go if they wanna and stay back if they don't .

All these threads are becoming tiring biko..

Because that's what vast majority of people are interested in.
I jokingly opened this thread below, not expecting FP.
It not only made FP but went to 20 pages!

https://www.nairaland.com/7421487/abroad-guys-relocate-back-nigeria
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by franchasng: 7:30pm On Dec 28, 2022
Because Nigerians in Nigeria use religion to cover up and hide their; laziness, wickedness, corruption and corrupt tendencies. They also use religion and miracle expectations as shortcut to success without following due process, but when they get to abroad, they realize that to succeed and achieve your financial goals, you just need to fold your sleeves and work and then plan your life, and they realize that being too religious and prayerful contributes little or nothing to their success.

In abroad, you don't need to fast and pray 7 days to secure a job. You just need the right skills, certifications and educational qualification to secure a job and even in some fields you just need to make out your time and there is job for you.

In abroad, they also realize they don't need to fast and pray to get good accommodation as all you need is to pay and get a house to live.

They also realize that you don't need to fast and pray to pass exam or secure admission or get out of Police arrest, all you need to do is follow the due process.

With this realities, they now pay less attention to religion and focus more on doing the right things to get what they want instead of looking for shotcuts to miracles and life solutions in the name of miracle

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nicerazor(m): 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2022
If you preach publicly in UK you can be arrested.
At times I wonder that same people who brought Christianity to us have few churches, unlike Nigeria where 5 churches can be in one street.
Some of the things we fast and pray for back home are normal things you’re entitled to.
The day I first attend a church service in England they don’t request for tithe or offering i come de surprise o.
Churches here only sing praises to God and preach more than they pray. Nothing like die by fire kiss.
Churches support you instead of taking from you unlike our pastors back home.
A cleaner and a bank manager are on the same level here, as bank manager de park his car to resume work Naso cleaner de park his own car. No Oga or boy boy here.
I remembered a time I worked at Liverpool stadium as a match day safety steward I met a Naija man working as a cleaner in the stadium, I recognized him as Naija immediately and we got talking. Man own a house in Spain which he rented out and get paid monthly. God go help Naija one day.

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by snoopz: 7:32pm On Dec 28, 2022
When a leader is saying only God can save the country then you should know they just don't want to do anything

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by omonnakoda: 7:32pm On Dec 28, 2022
IrepChrist:

I refuse to accept this lie....
If you suddenly loose your fellowship and relationship with God because you traveled to the west, then you never really loved God.
Seeking God should not to predicated on certain conditions. This has been my burden.
So YOU love God?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by faithfull18(f): 7:32pm On Dec 28, 2022
Are Nigerians really religious, maybe but majority do not obey God's commands or please God for real. If majority did, Nigeria won't be the way she presently is.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by dododawa1: 7:35pm On Dec 28, 2022
Leadership and poverty causes NIGERIA issue.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by PoliteActivist: 7:36pm On Dec 28, 2022
ednut1:
many also do not enjoy oyinbo churches because its civil and lacks gra gra. Nigerian churches may also be far away.

cheesy This is no excuse. They have Nigerian churches all over. See below

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Angelfrost(m): 7:38pm On Dec 28, 2022
I quit religion over a decade ago even while still in Naija...!

When you change your circle of friends and close associates, you change your perceptions about life in general.

So, traveling out enhances this for some...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by staga: 7:39pm On Dec 28, 2022
Abroad, time is directly proportional to money. Too many bills, which require you must be up and running to meet your financial obligations.
Also, you will realize that too many things we pray about in Nigeria, are already in place abroad.

2 Peter 1 v 3: [b]His divine power has given us everything we need [/b]for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness.

Abroad is where this scripture is come to light. You will realize that God has already done it all for us. Our relationship with Him should actually be on a spiritual level, and not on the basis of prayer to have basic things of life to be provided or answered.

In Nigeria, sometimes I have to pray to God for my freelance business not to be grounded by scarcity of fuel and lack of electricity, making me miss jobs, miss deadlines and risk losing clients.

When I got to Barbados, I found out that these things were all in place. I got a house that had superfast Wifi, 24/7 electricity supply (which is available the whole island), treated water straight from the water board, with a functional solar-powered water heater. Five minutes walk from the beach. Efficient transportation system. ATMs that pay 24/7 with no downtimes whatsoever. Of course, where will you see generator that is blasting fumes and noise your way? The only time I ever saw a police officer was at the COVID testing centres. Not on the roads and definitely not carrying an AK-47 and demanding for bribe. There are countries and there are shithole countries.

Even God must be tired of those always asking him for the basic things He has already put in place for us to harness. He seeks those who come worshipping in spirit and truth, those seeking a relationship and not those seeking his blessings alone.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by GreyLaw(m): 7:40pm On Dec 28, 2022
I know a lot of those who have had a torrid time with the church in Nigeria will jump to comment. Sorry, the church in Europe is mostly asleep. Funny enough, I have discussed with a number of ypung White British guys and they complain of the deadness of the church here. They actually make reference to the vibrancy and fire of the African church.

The Nigerians praying to God for help are not entirely mistaken. God indeed does fill the gap when the government fails. I have also seen White people testify to God's grace. It is then paramount to put some perspective on these things.

The Nigerian government has failed, yes. The Nigerian/African church may be manipulative to an extent, yes. But relationship with God is not about how good or wonderful the government is. Also, church or Mosque attendance isn't a gauge of spirituality. If one has ever tasted God in deep spirituality, you get hooked. It has nothing to do with religion.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by nonyofor2(m): 7:41pm On Dec 28, 2022
90percent of their prayer points answered.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by madjune(m): 7:41pm On Dec 28, 2022
Please you guys should stop these crazy posts on abroad and obsession with anything abroad.

At this time, you should be occupied with creative ideas snd thoughts on building back Nigeria.

Peter Obi or whoever wins can't build Niheria back alone.
He will need the collaboration of the Nigerian citizenry.

It's a total waste when he's building and everyone is talking about abroad this and abroad that.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by RealLagosBoy: 7:44pm On Dec 28, 2022
90% of the things we pray for in Nigeria are provided by the government in sane countries.

Imagine praying for Nepa to bring light so that the chicken in my fridge doesn't spoil.

Will someone in UK be praying such prayer?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by E2000: 7:45pm On Dec 28, 2022
If you have most of what you need why then will you be disturbing your father like you have nothing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by adekanmbi1986(m): 7:45pm On Dec 28, 2022
It is because 70% of the their prayers here in Nigeria has been answered already in a working system over there.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by godwon01(m): 7:45pm On Dec 28, 2022
Even when you do a few hrs and expect to pay tax you will discover that government will cover the balance for you. Instead of paying the tax , they will pay you more wages. Your wages is pay weekly by all the company. You hardly finish one wages before you receive another one.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jeff1980(m): 7:47pm On Dec 28, 2022
Because what they see as problems in Nigeria has become government problems. So you don’t need to stress urself anymore about prayers

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Softmirror: 7:48pm On Dec 28, 2022
ednut1:
Many of them are still religious, but time is money abroad. You may have worked 12 hours overnight. You no go get time go church on Sunday.

LOL.... grin. VERY FUNNY.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 28, 2022
Religion = Poverty.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 28, 2022
GreyLaw:
I know a lot of those who have had a torrid time with the church in Nigeria will jump to comment. Sorry, the church in Europe is mostly asleep. Funny enough, I have discussed with a number of ypung White British guys and they complain of the deadness of the church here. They actually make reference to the vibrancy and fire of the African church.

The Nigerians praying to God for help are not entirely mistaken. God indeed does fill the gap when the government fails. I have also seen White people testify to God's grace. It is then paramount to put some perspective on these things.

The Nigerian government has failed, yes. The Nigerian/African church may be manipulative to an extent, yes. But relationship with God is not about how good or wonderful the government is. Also, church or Mosque attendance isn't a gauge of spirituality. If one has ever tasted God in deep spirituality, you get hooked. It has nothing to do with religion.

Christianity is not an African religion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by juman(m): 7:49pm On Dec 28, 2022
Level where you dont need god.
Effective government "replace" god.
If you have issue, you go to government for solution.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by WelcomeToBiafra: 7:50pm On Dec 28, 2022
That's why we are fighting for the Restoration of Biafra government and freedom of Biafrans, starting with Freedom of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by WannaHowzit(m): 7:50pm On Dec 28, 2022
Omniman:
If you travel abroad, 90% of your prayers are answered... smiley

LMAO grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 28, 2022
Originalsly:
I believe the opposite ... that one gets more religious when abroad. If one was a church goer in Nigeria ... when he goes abroad he will attend church because it is a must for him on Sundays ... a sin if he doesn't. When he gets to the church abroad ... he will see a huge difference... the biggest being collecting money is not a priority... they usually collect once or maybe twice if there is a special offering. If you give or don't give ... give much or give little doesn't matter at all... if you give $100 000 dollars you wouldn't be praised or be given special attention. The preaching will be to lift you spiritually ... help keep you away from worldly vices ... not about squeezing more money out of you. It is then your eyes will open and you realize all the while you were being scammed back home. It is then you will decide to be religious.... to see things differently... to realize all the hollering and screaming was a sham and not tolerated abroad as it is expected back home to prove you are filled with a spirit. It is then you will know it is written God helps those who help themselves ... and there will be no midnight prayer vigils to go to for God to favor you and get a job for you while you sit at home waiting. Over to you!

There is no where it is written in the bible, "God helps those who help themselves".

That said, what the guy said is true. You talk about worldly vice because you live in Nigeria. Those who live in a sane country aren't given to most vices we see here. So why go to church. You just learn them as you interact with your new environment.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Sunday Esan, Dangote's Manager Had An Accident (Photos) / Nigerian Man Dies In Plane While Travelling Back To Malaysia / Lol… Another Nigerian Man Seen Eating Pounded Yam In U.S Train

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.