Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (39907 Views)

What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians In Malaysia Do For A Living? / Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:25pm On Dec 28, 2022
Maybe it is so, because Nigeria is practices religious fanaticism, maybe i can say, it is ingrained in their DNA, i am very poor in our historic knowledge, so i cannot say if we were barbaric before religion and so cannot prove that we are predisposed to a wild nature.

Our Society does not seek harmony anymore, it is full of selfish people, so we seek validation before harmony, the religious fanaticism brings us validation and some prestige. Although our fanaticism will deprive us of healthy thinking, and our unhealthy validation without healthy thinking due to not seeking harmony fosters conflicts.

Its seems the white men, knew we are predisposed to fanaticism or we cannot reason unless we are told what to do, so the religion they will bring will be effective in making us subservient and work for their benefits, while disregarding our own growth and harmonious coexistence.

But in that case India and the central Asia/Balkan regions reminds me about the power of religious indoctrination, which brings violence and shows that indoctrination can be very deadly despite harmonious values.

Ofodirinwa:

Every society that has currently not collapsed is atheistic. The exception is Saudi Arabia and UAE if that's the life you want.
Christians do not have any intention of living in harmony with others. How many shrines and traditional institutions are demonized and destroyed by the church in Nigeria? We have lost our values because of church. Everything that gives use value the church is against. Everything that glorifies foreigners the church is for, but if you go to those foriegn lands, they're not going to church. They will even arrest you in the UK if you're preaching in the street. But go to Nigeria and see british founded churches up and down.

what does that tell you?

Imagine somebody serving you food they refuse to eat and refuse to have served to their own children, but you are eating it and clapping singing that you're whiter than white.

All of the best countries in the world are atheistic. All of the poorest countries in the world and more violent war-torn countries are also the most religious. Nigeria has the highest concentration of religious buildings in the world, and also has the highest concentration of un-related armed conflicts, and highest concentration of poor people.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by fykes(m): 9:26pm On Dec 28, 2022
Don't know what you talking bro...I'm still praying...listening to msgs like when I left...maybe not churches cos my church is far but I attend a local church here...not weekly like in naija...but I value my spiritual life more than all the £ here.
I still find time to wake at night and pray...it's a culture or maybe cos I live alone but I won't stop praying and seeking God the longest I live.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by OdefaGirl(f): 9:26pm On Dec 28, 2022
"Should we all leave this country and runaway? No, all of us aren't meant to travel overseas." I muttered those words.

Yeah.... but my name is not "all of us". You weigh your cons and pros, what is working for you and what's not, then make a decision that will help you and probably your family..... since few or none cares here and the government cares for their pockets.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by iramure(m): 9:28pm On Dec 28, 2022
Religion is a serback to Africa and Africans.. it's a calculated attempt to render us stupid. Religion is the evil affecting our develpoments in every facet of life. All Nigeria general overseers owning mega business centrrs need to be arrested and jaiked for life because they are the ones who are further promoting the scams in religion because of thier own selfish intrest. When you have the opportunity to travel to a saner environment, it is then you will realise that religion is a modern day slavery/,bondage. Africans walk into in foolishly and are made to believe they are in the right place.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by plaetton: 9:28pm On Dec 28, 2022
Well yes.
It is in darkness that we see demons everywhere.
With 24hr light in every nook and corner, the demons have no place to hide and torment poor Nigerians.
When you have certainties of the basic necessities of life, when your upward mobility becomes solely dependent on your hardwork and innovative thinking, you have no reasons to suspect your village people. You realize that ignorance is the disease that kills people physically and mentally.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by SkyView247(m): 9:30pm On Dec 28, 2022
Well said
Thanks oop

I love this post
A traveller is more wiser than a grey headed man

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by chris51(f): 9:31pm On Dec 28, 2022
Outside Nigeria, time is money.
Here, people work. Sunday, Christmas etc if your work falls on those days. If you don't work, who will pay your bills?

You don't have the luxury of time to spend in religious places like it's done in Nigeria.

If jobs are available to citizens, Nigerians will no longer be exploited by religious leaders.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:31pm On Dec 28, 2022
Good for you, i also attend church, but i struggle, its not in my nature to be religious, rather being knowledgeable is more important for me.
And for me it seems God is like a Father and a good influence. My child like tendency for curiosity and wanting to learn new things everyday, makes me a weak religious follower. But Spirituality has brought me Joy and a strong compass.

fykes:
Don't know what you talking bro...I'm still praying...listening to msgs like when I left...maybe not churches cos my church is far but I attend a local church here...not weekly like in naija...but I value my spiritual life more than all the £ here.
I still find time to wake at night and pray...it's a culture or maybe cos I live alone but I won't stop praying and seeking God the longest I live.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by chris51(f): 9:31pm On Dec 28, 2022
chris51:
Here, people work. Sunday, Christmas etc if your work falls on those days. If you don't work, who will pay your bills?

You don't have the luxury of time to spend in religious places like it's done in Nigeria.

If jobs are available to citizens, Nigerians will no longer be exploited by religious leaders.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:31pm On Dec 28, 2022
smiley
chris51:

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by texannaija: 9:38pm On Dec 28, 2022
Any Christian can pray anywhere at any time. You don't have to bow your head, kneel or close your eyes to pray………

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by chris51(f): 9:39pm On Dec 28, 2022

This doesn't mean that people are not religious here. They worship God but moderately.

What we are praying to God to do for us in Nigeria is what government does in caring nations without begging.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by chris51(f): 9:39pm On Dec 28, 2022
chris51:

This doesn't mean that people are not religious here. They worship God but moderately.

What we are praying to God to do for us in Nigeria is what government does in caring nations without begging.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by iramure(m): 9:42pm On Dec 28, 2022
All Nigeria men of dog or men of goat or simply put fraudulent pastors know that religion is a SCAM but would never acknowledge it as so because of their selfish intrest.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by TristanX: 9:44pm On Dec 28, 2022
because 80% of your life problems are solved by their organized society. So no need to stress yourself and God too much
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by kabillionaire(m): 9:55pm On Dec 28, 2022
Lol!
Nice question.
The fear of witchcraft and poverty is the sole reason, nothing else.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Bizibi(m): 9:56pm On Dec 28, 2022
Nigerians are religious abroad....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Lobos2277: 9:58pm On Dec 28, 2022
Everything we fast and pray for here as been taken care of there.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Yankee101: 10:02pm On Dec 28, 2022
Most material prayers are answered in those countries
But after you accumulate materials you find emptiness
The suicide rate went high during Covid till date when government provided plenty of money and food and accommodation reprieves for everyone

That’s why you realize spiritual connection to God through Jesus Christ in the Power of the Holy Spirit is not only necessary but essential

So you connect to God not for materials, but your source as Creator, Guard, Guide and Fulfilment

Houses of worship shut down and folks were killing thwmswlves like flies

The churches had the highest number of online steamers ever

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by lereinter(m): 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2022
black is diff from white
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jieta: 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2022
gaby:
The day Nigeria progresses into a nation with the welfare of her citizens at the heart of its policies overall, you'd understand.

Just imagine a situation where you are assured of a job and timely pay as and when due, access to healthcare, and every other social amenity. And then to cap it all up, even when you aren't able to work, you have access to social welfare benefits.

My brother, the day majority of Nigerians working or not can just walk down to the next ATM at the end of each monthly cycle to make withdrawals of their salaries or stipend from the government, church businesses will become obsolete and relationships with religion will become personal and organic.

The current style of Christianity in particular is a result of "surrendering it all to God" since the government has failed in every aspect of caring for the citizens.

Humans have resigned to fate and hope endlessly for succor from supernatural forces or beings.
Oga, I want to buy your book I even called you some time pass you refuse to pick.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by omonnakoda: 10:17pm On Dec 28, 2022
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by IrepChrist: 10:21pm On Dec 28, 2022
omonnakoda:
How do you know this?
It sounds like self deception to me
Just like nobody would say
I am a bad person

How do we recognize love of God?

Roman 8: 16
The Spirit himself testify with our spirit that we are God's children.

When your desire is to see the kingdom of God establish on earth.... it's a sign you love him.

If it pleases you to do the will of the father always, through witnessing and evangelizing, it's a sign that you love God.

If your desire is to serve him and to be in his presence always, it's a sign that you love God.

If you feel sorry for your sins and errors and you are remorseful just to settle with him. It's a sign you love him.

Your love for God should not be conditioned to location or circumstance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by meobizy(f): 10:22pm On Dec 28, 2022
For the third time this year. Chat forum.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 28, 2022
You think say na by allah akbar or Jesus ?
go to sane countries and see how well they function without religion
Only in Nigeria your government will tell you to pray for nigeria without actually doing shit about it
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by BabaAgba79(m): 10:27pm On Dec 28, 2022
faceLAGOS:

Interesting.

Please sir, can you explain a little how you were able to “demistyfy” poverty?

Though, I’ve come to realize that poverty is not necessarily the lack of cash but a thing of the mind.

Thank you. Sir.

Poverty is perceived as a spiritual thing in Nigeria most especially among the xtians and some certain religions. Poverty is seen as a spell being cast upon a generation. Poverty is a mystery to us. However, poverty is simply lack of financial education, Lack of cash, lack of property. You dont need prayers and fasting to be successful or rich. All u need is knowledge, expertise and connection most especially in Nigeria. Learn how to make money in a legit way and u will be rich!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by gaby(m): 10:27pm On Dec 28, 2022
jieta:
Oga, I want to buy your book I even called you some time pass you refuse to pick.

Oh, I'm very sorry, sir.

I do not have hard copies of the book at this moment. You can only get the ebook from the Okadabooks link on my signature or the thread where I started the story.

God bless.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by faceLAGOS: 10:29pm On Dec 28, 2022
BabaAgba79:

Poverty is perceived as a spiritual thing in Nigeria most especially among the xtians and some certain religions. Poverty is seen as a spell being cast upon a generation. Poverty is a mystery to us. However, poverty is simply lack of financial education, Lack of cash, lack of property. You dont need prayers and fasting to be successful or rich. All u need is knowledge, expertise and connection most especially in Nigeria. Learn how to make money in a legit way and u will see be rich!

Thank you, Sir.

Good night.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by omonnakoda: 10:32pm On Dec 28, 2022
IrepChrist:

Roman 8: 16
The Spirit himself testify with our spirit that we are God's children.

When your desire is to see the kingdom of God establish on earth.... it's a sign you love him.

If it pleases you to do the will of the father always, through witnessing and evangelizing, it's a sign that you love God.

If your desire is to serve him and to be in his presence always, it's a sign that you love God.

If you feel sorry for your sins and errors and you are remorseful just to settle with him. It's a sign you love him.

Your love for God should not be conditioned to location or circumstance.
That is not an answer just more self deception.
That is what you want to believe. Did any spirit tell you that you love God?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 28, 2022
Because the whites, the white society, don't give a fvck about your religion
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Lekwandoskii(m): 10:35pm On Dec 28, 2022
Get paid for sharing articles on Facebook. Don't just spend money running through Facebook, instead spend and earn whilst using the site...Follow the link below & start earning today �

https://buzz24.me/this-app-pays-you-to-share-articles-on-facebook?mbn=u07c8abb3e

Pls don't forget to share this link with your friends. Thanx �
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by umuna(m): 10:44pm On Dec 28, 2022
SReporters:
By Jett-Iyke Amaechi

I asked a friend that traveled abroad when he told me about the decline in his spiritual life.

"Or is it that they don't allow you pray over there? Tell me."

The abroad guy responded, "No, it is not so. You are allowed to pray here.

But when you get here you will realize that a lot of things that we perceive to be spiritual are not.

They are a product of failures, from government and ourselves.

You will meet a system and an ideology that will challenge your previous beliefs.

Imagine that here, you don't pray to fill gas, own a house, a car, go to school or have your children attend one of the best schools.

But in Nigeria, sometimes you even pray to have your three square meal per day."

"The thing tire me." I replied.

Then he continued, "You don't even pray to get a job.

There are agencies saddled with that responsibility and they do their best to get you a job in 2 months.

And once you get that job your life becomes a product of leverage, the one we acknowledge as grace in Nigeria.

But this grace doesn't come from above, it comes from the government.

Your child can even go to university and graduate without paying a dime.

As the child begins to work, the government will gradually deducts his fees from his salary in a way that it won't even affect the child.

Under such atmosphere, if it's you, you will change and behave like me.

You won't even suspect your uncles, you will know they have no hand in your failure or success.

I don't suspect my uncle's anymore. Infact, I even call them on phone now.

We are closer than before. Life is really a mystery.

A traveller is wiser than a gray-haired man.

But I will advise you, you know the government we have, do your best and come to this place.

You will thank God you did."

At this instance, I was weak. " So our government had made us to hate our uncles like this when we should have loved them.

Oh! As I have become an uncle now, tomorrow my nephews and nieces will hate me thinking that I'm responsible for their failures.

When I'm innocent. God forbid! Some of our uncles may be dying in silence of their innocency.

God will help them.

So, our government made us pray about every issue of life no matter how small and jump from one prayer house to another.

It shall not be well with them." I concluded.

" I think you now understand," We ended the call.

I was in deep thinking of what to do.

"Should we all leave this country and runaway? No, all of us aren't meant to travel overseas." I muttered those words.

But you that read to this point, what do you think?

https://www.solutionreporters.com/2022/12/24/why-do-nigerians-become-less-religious-when-they-travel-abroad/

Because half of the prayer points have been solved by government in that country!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Current State Of The Obalende Bus Terminal (Photos) / 12-Year-Old Boy Drowns While Swimming With Friends In Ilorin (Graphic) / Top 5 Beaches Every Lagosian Must Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.