Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,761 members, 7,813,523 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? (4036 Views)

Madam Titi Surrenders To Jesus In The Lords Chosen, Testifies In Church (Video) / Michael Job (Jesus In Kenya) Death Rumour / Michael Job: The 'Jesus' In Kenya Is An Evangelist (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 12:18am On Dec 28, 2022
Some of the critical questions popularly asked by irreligious persons are: would we (Christians) still believe-in Jesus if we find out that he’s never coming back? Would we still follow the laws of faith if we find that the man Jesus was just a made up story in history?

It is natural for us to respond emotionally to these kind of questions (usually to shift the focus of the discussion), but the truth is: we will have to ask ourselves these kind of questions at some points in our walk of faith; we have to critically analyze our beliefs, ideologies, and definitions to see if they’re worth defending.

Answers to questions of these such do not only serve as response to unbelievers, but they more importantly reveal our understanding of what we are doing with our lives; our understanding of the good news. They also reveal our true intent and desires towards the faith of God, and our sense of judgment.

What would we do if we find out that there’s no consequence whatsoever for unrighteousness? Would we continue to live as the bible suggests, or would we change our lifestyle?

The term righteousness means to live (act) rightly. Therefore, the righteousness of God is to live (act) in the way that God considers right. As Christians, we have been encouraged to live in God’s righteousness (that is: to live beyond what we consider right, but live as God considers right). In fact, a Christians is one who loves righteousness (God’s).

The reason many of us consider righteousness as a viable way of life is mainly because of the consequence that we hear exists for unrighteousness, without which righteousness will sound unattainable and stupid to us. Our approach to righteousness is negative; we do not live rightly because we love and enjoy the right way of life, we only live rightly because we fear the consequence for living wrongly.

Alas, negative approach cannot produce positive effect. The impact of negative approach to righteousness is difficulty and struggle; it becomes a struggle for us to live rightly, whereas, the burden of righteousness is easy. The lack of love for the right way of life causes us to struggle; we struggle to live rightly. Righteousness is the nature of God, as we have been born by God, we too by our nature should live rightly. It should be the easiest thing for us to do.

We do not struggle to eat, speak, see, feel, or hear because these things are natural. In fact, struggling or not being able to do these things at all is an indication of a defective birth or a disease. Similarly, struggling or not being able to do righteousness indicates that a person is diseased; in sin and not in God.

We do not struggle to eat food, speak about football, watch movies, get on social media because we enjoy and love these things. Our struggle to live rightly indicates we do not love or enjoy doing what’s right; we do not love the nature of God, which means we do not love the nature of our new birth, and if by chance we live rightly, we are only doing so to avoid the consequence of unrighteousness.

This should not be the case, living rightly should be the only reasonable way of life to a Christian. The wrong way should be unreasonable to us. For example, it should be easier for us to tell the truth than to lie simply because we are born by the spirit of truth, and the only reasonable thing to do. Lying should be unreasonable to us.

A Christian by understanding sees the benefits of righteousness, he lives rightly because he loves these benefits. He sees no benefit whatsoever in unrighteousness, so refuses to live wrongly because it is basically a waste of time, resources and essence to live in a way that affords no benefit to the soul. This is irrespective of whether or not the unrighteous shall be punished.

Therefore, although there are some of us who will plunge into unrighteousness if they discover that it attracts no consequence, we should all grow to the level that living rightly is our only option of life; we should grow to the level that we consume righteousness, and abhor unrighteousness.
How would we feel if we find that no one will burn for eternity? Would we be contented with this judgment or would we feel bitter because sinners are not going to be in agony forever?

One of the peripheral reasons why some irreligious persons hate the good news is because of the said punishment that awaits sinners. They see the judgment of eternal torment as unfair and totally wicked. This makes them question God’s sense of judgment and the motive of the Christian faith.

This particular judgment (eternal torment) is not peculiar to Christianity, it is quite popular in ancient myths, and a norm in the Abrahamic religions. Quite often, when we get quizzed for our faith, we tend to remind irreligious persons of this said judgment, and this more often infuriates them further to hate Christ.

For us to really discuss how we will feel if sinners are not tormented in fire forever, we must first research the scriptures to see if there’s any such judgment in the books. For it is irrelevant to discuss a topic without first establishing the truth of the scriptures.

Is it written that sinners shall be tormented forever? No, it is not written. What then is written? The scriptures confirm that sinners will be continuously tormented just as we see in the myths of other religions, however, this continuous torment will only last till the sinful soul is destroyed (utterly).

Sinners are diseased (in their thoughts), this is why each Christian needed to be healed by the stripe of Jesus. The fire (of the end) shall be created and released to destroy every diseased cell. Each sinner shall be burned till every cell of their existence is dissipated and destroyed till they become just ash (Malachi 4:3), and smoke from their ash shall rise to the heavens forever (Revelation 14:11).

Therefore, the idea of eternal torment is not biblical, it is a horrible imagination used to instill fear and anger in the minds of those who do not understand the judgment of God. It is often mistaken for eternal destruction, the judgment of God on sinners.

Is there a difference? Yes, there is. What is the difference? Destruction is the process or act to damage something so that it no longer exists – to cause (through damage) to inexist. Therefore, eternal destruction means to cause to inexist forever. But torment means to to exist but be in agony, and eternal torment means to exist forever but be in continuous pain. These are two different concepts.

So then, let us welcome this judgment (eternal destruction). In fact, let us be happy that no one is going to be diseased forever, and the fire shall save them from eternal regret. Anything short of this is unjust, for who imagines eternal agony for someone else without questioning such judgment? Perhaps a wicked person or a person too scared to question such judgment.

Would we continue to live like Christ if we find that Jesus is not coming back for us? Would we still be excited to tell people about the Christly life?
Well, we’ve already defined why we live the Christly life, we think it is reasonable and living contrary is unreasonable. So, yes, we’ll should continue to live the Christly life even if we find that Jesus isn’t coming back.

Although Jesus is definitely coming back, in a hypothetical situation where he doesn’t, we should condition our minds to continue this life and encourage others to live like us because we are convinced this is the only right way to live. We should be like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who though trusted they will be saved, will not compromise even if there is no salvation (Daniel 3:16-18).

We should not live the Christly life because we were told that we’d be saved sometime in the future, we should live because we are convinced of its righteousness. Salvation happens to us through this life. It is important to note that salvation is not the promise, the Holy Spirit is the promise, and salvation is a consequence. For the just (righteous) shall live by faith, and salvation happens through the faith they (the just) live by.

Thank you for reading, enjoy your holidays…

1 Like

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by PoliteActivist: 12:26am On Dec 28, 2022
Sooo, where does the story of Lazarus fit in your thesis.

Also, is there ANYTHING that can convince you that all you've been taught, all you believe is wrong? What would that be?
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 12:51am On Dec 28, 2022
PoliteActivist:
Sooo, where does the story of Lazarus fit in your thesis.

Also, is there ANYTHING that can convince you that all you've been taught, all you believe is wrong? What would that be?

I'm just glad you don't know that thing. For if there's something that can convince me, you'd have said. Glad there's no hypothesis or theories that is sound enough to convince the righteous. Good morning btw. Happy holidays to you sir.

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by PoliteActivist: 12:59am On Dec 28, 2022
knowingChrist:

I'm just glad you don't know that thing. For if there's something that can convince me, you'd have said. Glad there's no hypothesis or theories that is sound enough to convince the righteous. Good morning btw. Happy holidays to you sir.

Same to you sir. Well, something convinced St. Paul. Would such a vision convince you? Also you didn't address the story.
BTW you are JW
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 1:53am On Dec 28, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Same to you sir. Well, something convinced St. Paul. Would such a vision convince you? Also you didn't address the story.
BTW you are JW

Did you read the article sir? Trying hard to fit your question to the article and I can't. Also, will it matter if I'm a JW or not?
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by PoliteActivist: 2:00am On Dec 28, 2022
knowingChrist:

Did you read the article sir? Trying hard to fit your question to the article and I can't. Also, will it matter if I'm a JW or not?

So you agree with Lazarus story of eternal.punishment?

Well, does it matter if I am a moslem or not?
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 2:43am On Dec 28, 2022
PoliteActivist:

So you agree with Lazarus story of eternal.punishment?

Well, does it matter if I am a moslem or not?

Lazarus story was a parable sir, which means nothing in it is real. Jesus was just created a scenario for them based on their level of understanding of the judgment of God. However, if you read time to read the article patiently again, you'll see the relevant scriptural references. Then check this references if they support Lazarus parable. Also, if doesn't matter if you're a Muslim or not, you asked a question, and I'll answer you how best i can. For anyone who asks a question deserves an answer.
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by PoliteActivist: 3:27am On Dec 28, 2022
knowingChrist:

Lazarus story was a parable sir, which means nothing in it is real. Jesus was just created a scenario for them based on their level of understanding of the judgment of God. However, if you read time to read the article patiently again, you'll see the relevant scriptural references. Then check this references if they support Lazarus parable. Also, if doesn't matter if you're a Muslim or not, you asked a question, and I'll answer you how best i can. For anyone who asks a question deserves an answer.

Ok, how about these below. They are definitely not parables.
I think it matters my faith, so you know where I'm comming from and my basic beliefs. Example, as JW I know right away you don't believe in Trinity

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 8:26am On Dec 28, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Ok, how about these below. They are definitely not parables.
I think it matters my faith, so you know where I'm comming from and my basic beliefs. Example, as JW I know right away you don't believe in Trinity

Good morning sir. I must say that I love your temerity.. sorry if I spoke in any harsh tone last night. I was tired. In fact, I didn't know the Lazarus you were mentioning at first, this is why it was difficult for me to find a correlation between your question and the article.

I'm in a more stable state now and I hope that by grace, you get answers to your questions.

Firstly, like I mentioned, the Lazarus situation was just an hypothetical situation. It's not real, neither is it going to happen like that. Just like the hypothetical situation I wrote about where Jesus won't com back, it's not real neither will it happen like that.

Secondly, I'll like you to read your slide again sir. It shows there in Revelation 14:9-11 that its just the smoke that will rise forever. This is what I also mentioned in the article. Malachi 4:3 puts it straight that sinners will be burnt till they become ashes. Revelation 14:11 goes further to explain to us what will happen to their ashes.

Also, Revelation 20 which you also showed tells us that its just the devil, beast and the false prophets that will be tormented forever. We know that sinners will also be thrown into the fire also but sinners aren't going to be tormented forever. Sinners will return to dust but the devil and his master workers will be tormented forever.

I'll like to point out that no verse out of the whole you showed supports your idea of eternal torment. There's eternal punishment also, but you're only interpreting eternal punishment to mean eternal torment. If a person is destroyed and vanishes not to exists forever, they'll have been punished eternally.

On a different note: my denomination does not matter to the topic at hand sir. When I post something that matters, I'll let you know my denomination. It's irrelevant to the topic at hand. Facts can speak for themselves.. Thank you sir. Have a lovely day.
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by PoliteActivist: 9:54am On Dec 28, 2022
knowingChrist:

Also, Revelation 20 which you also showed tells us that its just the devil, beast and the false prophets that will be tormented forever. We know that sinners will also be thrown into the fire also but sinners aren't going to be tormented forever. Sinners will return to dust but the devil and his master workers will be tormented forever.

Anything short of this is unjust, for who imagines eternal agony for someone else without questioning such judgment? Perhaps a wicked person or a person too scared to question such judgment.

A very good morning to you sir. No, you were not rude yesterday, neither was I. And you did give the same answer about Lazarus as you gave today - basically that the story is not truthful about how things will be (how you determined this and why a lie would be used is still a mystery).

Also read the two statements above. They are both from you sir. Do you see the contradiction?

So sir, it would seem you are twisting words and inventing new meanings just to fit into a teaching that was put into your head, rather than accepting that the teaching is not biblical.

As for JW, since I've already said unequivocally that you are one (it was not a question), all you had to do was say yes, showing it's nothing to be ashamed of. That's the straightforward, honest thing to do. Instead of a long round about as to wether it matters or not.
Do have a beautiful day sir and may God bless you and your household.
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 10:29am On Dec 28, 2022
PoliteActivist:

A very good morning to you sir. No, you were not rude yesterday, neither was I. And you did give the same answer about Lazarus as you gave today - basically that the story is not truthful about how things will be (how you determined this and why a lie would be used is still a mystery).

Also read the two statements above. They are both from you sir. Do you see the contradiction?

So sir, it would seem you are twisting words and inventing new meanings just to fit into a teaching that was put into your head, rather than accepting that the teaching is not biblical.

As for JW, since I've already said unequivocally that you are one (it was not a question), all you had to do was say yes, showing it's nothing to be ashamed of. That's the straightforward, honest thing to do. Instead of a long round about as to wether it matters or not.
Do have a beautiful day sir and may God bless you and your household.

Yes my article was directed at sinners, the person called the devil is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I don't bother discussing the fate of nonentities. But it's fine if you have time to talk about nonentities and put them in your consciousness. You have the right to do that but I'll not be put into such game.

I intentionally wrote as though the person called the devil does not exists bc he doesn't to me.

Secondly, I didn't say Jesus lied. You're the one twisting words here. I said Jesus told them a parable. Parables are not account of real events but hypothetical situations created to spark rational thinking. I'm sorry you assumed I said Jesus lied, I didn't say that..

Also, I'll advise you to ask questions before you assume things about people. It's not a mentally healthy thing to assume pls. I hope you stop doing that to other people in the future. Do have a blessed day sir.
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 9:38pm On Dec 28, 2022
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 2:31am On Dec 30, 2022
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 8:39am On Dec 30, 2022
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Steep: 9:37am On Dec 30, 2022
knowingChrist:
Some of the critical questions popularly asked by irreligious persons are: would we (Christians) still believe-in Jesus if we find out that he’s never coming back? Would we still follow the laws of faith if we find that the man Jesus was just a made up story in history?

It is natural for us to respond emotionally to these kind of questions (usually to shift the focus of the discussion), but the truth is: we will have to ask ourselves these kind of questions at some points in our walk of faith; we have to critically analyze our beliefs, ideologies, and definitions to see if they’re worth defending.

Answers to questions of these such do not only serve as response to unbelievers, but they more importantly reveal our understanding of what we are doing with our lives; our understanding of the good news. They also reveal our true intent and desires towards the faith of God, and our sense of judgment.

What would we do if we find out that there’s no consequence whatsoever for unrighteousness? Would we continue to live as the bible suggests, or would we change our lifestyle?

The term righteousness means to live (act) rightly. Therefore, the righteousness of God is to live (act) in the way that God considers right. As Christians, we have been encouraged to live in God’s righteousness (that is: to live beyond what we consider right, but live as God considers right). In fact, a Christians is one who loves righteousness (God’s).

The reason many of us consider righteousness as a viable way of life is mainly because of the consequence that we hear exists for unrighteousness, without which righteousness will sound unattainable and stupid to us. Our approach to righteousness is negative; we do not live rightly because we love and enjoy the right way of life, we only live rightly because we fear the consequence for living wrongly.

Alas, negative approach cannot produce positive effect. The impact of negative approach to righteousness is difficulty and struggle; it becomes a struggle for us to live rightly, whereas, the burden of righteousness is easy. The lack of love for the right way of life causes us to struggle; we struggle to live rightly. Righteousness is the nature of God, as we have been born by God, we too by our nature should live rightly. It should be the easiest thing for us to do.

We do not struggle to eat, speak, see, feel, or hear because these things are natural. In fact, struggling or not being able to do these things at all is an indication of a defective birth or a disease. Similarly, struggling or not being able to do righteousness indicates that a person is diseased; in sin and not in God.

We do not struggle to eat food, speak about football, watch movies, get on social media because we enjoy and love these things. Our struggle to live rightly indicates we do not love or enjoy doing what’s right; we do not love the nature of God, which means we do not love the nature of our new birth, and if by chance we live rightly, we are only doing so to avoid the consequence of unrighteousness.

This should not be the case, living rightly should be the only reasonable way of life to a Christian. The wrong way should be unreasonable to us. For example, it should be easier for us to tell the truth than to lie simply because we are born by the spirit of truth, and the only reasonable thing to do. Lying should be unreasonable to us.

A Christian by understanding sees the benefits of righteousness, he lives rightly because he loves these benefits. He sees no benefit whatsoever in unrighteousness, so refuses to live wrongly because it is basically a waste of time, resources and essence to live in a way that affords no benefit to the soul. This is irrespective of whether or not the unrighteous shall be punished.

Therefore, although there are some of us who will plunge into unrighteousness if they discover that it attracts no consequence, we should all grow to the level that living rightly is our only option of life; we should grow to the level that we consume righteousness, and abhor unrighteousness.
How would we feel if we find that no one will burn for eternity? Would we be contented with this judgment or would we feel bitter because sinners are not going to be in agony forever?

One of the peripheral reasons why some irreligious persons hate the good news is because of the said punishment that awaits sinners. They see the judgment of eternal torment as unfair and totally wicked. This makes them question God’s sense of judgment and the motive of the Christian faith.

This particular judgment (eternal torment) is not peculiar to Christianity, it is quite popular in ancient myths, and a norm in the Abrahamic religions. Quite often, when we get quizzed for our faith, we tend to remind irreligious persons of this said judgment, and this more often infuriates them further to hate Christ.

For us to really discuss how we will feel if sinners are not tormented in fire forever, we must first research the scriptures to see if there’s any such judgment in the books. For it is irrelevant to discuss a topic without first establishing the truth of the scriptures.

Is it written that sinners shall be tormented forever? No, it is not written. What then is written? The scriptures confirm that sinners will be continuously tormented just as we see in the myths of other religions, however, this continuous torment will only last till the sinful soul is destroyed (utterly).

Sinners are diseased (in their thoughts), this is why each Christian needed to be healed by the stripe of Jesus. The fire (of the end) shall be created and released to destroy every diseased cell. Each sinner shall be burned till every cell of their existence is dissipated and destroyed till they become just ash (Malachi 4:3), and smoke from their ash shall rise to the heavens forever (Revelation 14:11).

Therefore, the idea of eternal torment is not biblical, it is a horrible imagination used to instill fear and anger in the minds of those who do not understand the judgment of God. It is often mistaken for eternal destruction, the judgment of God on sinners.

Is there a difference? Yes, there is. What is the difference? Destruction is the process or act to damage something so that it no longer exists – to cause (through damage) to inexist. Therefore, eternal destruction means to cause to inexist forever. But torment means to to exist but be in agony, and eternal torment means to exist forever but be in continuous pain. These are two different concepts.

So then, let us welcome this judgment (eternal destruction). In fact, let us be happy that no one is going to be diseased forever, and the fire shall save them from eternal regret. Anything short of this is unjust, for who imagines eternal agony for someone else without questioning such judgment? Perhaps a wicked person or a person too scared to question such judgment.

Would we continue to live like Christ if we find that Jesus is not coming back for us? Would we still be excited to tell people about the Christly life?
Well, we’ve already defined why we live the Christly life, we think it is reasonable and living contrary is unreasonable. So, yes, we’ll should continue to live the Christly life even if we find that Jesus isn’t coming back.

Although Jesus is definitely coming back, in a hypothetical situation where he doesn’t, we should condition our minds to continue this life and encourage others to live like us because we are convinced this is the only right way to live. We should be like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who though trusted they will be saved, will not compromise even if there is no salvation (Daniel 3:16-18).

We should not live the Christly life because we were told that we’d be saved sometime in the future, we should live because we are convinced of its righteousness. Salvation happens to us through this life. It is important to note that salvation is not the promise, the Holy Spirit is the promise, and salvation is a consequence. For the just (righteous) shall live by faith, and salvation happens through the faith they (the just) live by.

Thank you for reading, enjoy your holidays…
Jesus word is yes and Amen that is why people can put their faith in him. Saying Jesus is not coming back again means nullifying the faith of Christians and therefore salvation is dismissed.

In as much as Jesus rose again from the grave which is a living evidence then his coming back is guaranteed.

Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Denying that Jesus is coming back is denying his resurrection and hence denying the sufficient of his sacrifice on the cross.
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Prosper1912: 10:28am On Dec 30, 2022
Pls Would you guys mind if I come in to the discussion.
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by HellVictorinho6(m): 10:51am On Dec 30, 2022
Prosper1912:

Is there anything new about faith in Jesus or Allah?

Cannibals also believe.

Assassins also believe.
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 1:28pm On Dec 30, 2022
Prosper1912:

We won't mind Sir, you're welcome to join. For knnowing the truth is the responsibility of all humankind.

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Prosper1912: 2:12pm On Dec 30, 2022
knowingChrist:

We won't mind Sir, you're welcome to join. For knnowing the truth is the responsibility of all humankind.

Thank you I would like to contribute concerning the richman and Lazarus.
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Prosper1912: 2:15pm On Dec 30, 2022
HellVictorinho6:

Is there anything new about faith in Jesus or Allah?

Cannibals also believe.

Assassins also believe.

Ok let start from somewhere,
Who is Jesus Christ ?
And
Who is Allah?
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Prosper1912: 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2022
When Jesus Christ was on earth e made use of parables. And if u may agree will me, all the parable that Jesus use as an illustration while e was on earth doesn't have literal interpretation, rather e word from the parable has a symbolic meaning.

1 Like

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by HellVictorinho6(m): 2:37pm On Dec 30, 2022
Prosper1912:

Ok let start from somewhere,
Who is Jesus Christ ?
And
Who is Allah?

Never entities that can do anything whatsoever
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 2:43pm On Dec 30, 2022
Prosper1912:

Thank you I would like to contribute concerning the richman and Lazarus.

Go on sir. Your view is important to us.

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 2:45pm On Dec 30, 2022
Prosper1912:
When Jesus Christ was on earth e made use of parables. And if u may agree will me, all the parable that Jesus use as an illustration while e was on earth doesn't have literal interpretation, rather e word from the parable has a symbolic meaning.

Yes they do not have a literal meaning but do have a symbolic meaning. I think there's problem when people focus on the parable and leave the symbolic meaning. So kindly share your insight on this topic pls.

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Prosper1912: 4:43pm On Dec 30, 2022
knowingChrist:

Yes they do not have a literal meaning but do have a symbolic meaning. I think there's problem when people focus on the parable and leave the symbolic meaning. So kindly share your insight on this topic pls.

Okay
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Prosper1912: 5:20pm On Dec 30, 2022
In Luke chapter 16, Jesus describes two men who experience drastic changes in their circumstances.

Here is a summary of the story Jesus told:
A rich man lived in luxury. A beggar named Lazarus was placed at the rich man’s gate; he hoped to be given any food that dropped from the rich man’s table. In time, Lazarus died, and angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In the story, both men are portrayed as conscious after death. The dead rich man was being tormented by a blazing fire and asked Abraham to send Lazarus to cool his tongue with a drop of water from Lazarus’ finger. Abraham denied the rich man’s request and said that both men had now experienced a complete reversal of their circumstances and that a great chasm had been formed between the two that could not be crossed.

The question now is that DID THIS STORY REALLY HAPPEN
No. This is a parable that Jesus related in order to teach a lesson. The fact that this is a parable is acknowledged by scholars. For example, a subheading in the 1912 edition of Luther’s Bible states that this is a parable. And the Catholic Jerusalem Bible, in a footnote, states that this is a “parable in story form without reference to any historical personage.”

Was Jesus teaching lessons about life after death? Did he mean that some people suffer in a hellfire when they die and that Abraham and Lazarus were in heaven? Several facts show that this could not be the case.

For example:

If the rich man were in a literal place of burning torment, would not the fire evaporate the water on Lazarus’ fingertip?

Even if it were not evaporated, would a single drop of water bring the rich man lasting relief from his suffering in a literal fire?

How could Abraham be alive in heaven, since Jesus clearly stated that up to the time Jesus related the parable, no one had gone to heaven?—John 3:13.

DOES This STORY SUPPORT THE DOCTRINE OF HELLFIRE?

No. Although this is not a literal story, some argue that it symbolizes the idea that good people go to heaven and bad people are tormented in hellfire. a

Is that conclusion reasonable? No.

The teaching of hellfire does not fit in with what the Bible says about the condition of the dead. For example, it does not say that all good people who die experience bliss in heaven or that bad people are tortured in hellfire. Rather, the Bible clearly states: “The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all.”—Ecclesiastes 9:5.

Now WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE STORY OF THE RICH MAN AND LAZARUS?
The story shows that two groups of people were about to experience a great change in circumstances.

The rich man evidently symbolized the Jewish religious leaders, “who were money lovers.” (Luke 16:14) They listened as Jesus spoke, but they opposed his message. These religious leaders looked down on the common people.—John 7:49.

Lazarus symbolized the common people who accepted Jesus’ message and who were despised by the Jewish religious leaders.

The change in circumstances was drastic for both groups.

The Jewish religious leaders thought that they enjoyed God’s favor. But they experienced death, as it were, when God rejected them and their form of worship because they did not accept Jesus’ message. And they were tormented by the message that Jesus and his followers preached.—Matthew 23:29, 30; Acts 5:29-33.

The common people—who had long been neglected by their religious leaders—were now experiencing favor. Many accepted the Scriptural message that Jesus taught and benefited from it. They now had the opportunity to enjoy God’s favor eternally.—John 17:3.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2022
Prosper1912:
In Luke chapter 16, Jesus describes two men who experience drastic changes in their circumstances.

A rich man lived in luxury. A beggar named Lazarus was placed at the rich man’s gate; he hoped to be given any food that dropped from the rich man’s table. In time, Lazarus died, and angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In the story, both men are portrayed as conscious after death. The dead rich man was being tormented by a blazing fire and asked Abraham to send Lazarus to cool his tongue with a drop of water from Lazarus’ finger. Abraham denied the rich man’s request and said that both men had now experienced a complete reversal of their circumstances and that a great chasm had been formed between the two that could not be crossed.

No. This is a parable that Jesus related in order to teach a lesson. The fact that this is a parable is acknowledged by scholars. For example, a subheading in the 1912 edition of Luther’s Bible states that this is a parable. And the Catholic Jerusalem Bible, in a footnote, states that this is a “parable in story form without reference to any historical personage.”

Was Jesus teaching lessons about life after death? Did he mean that some people suffer in a hellfire when they die and that Abraham and Lazarus were in heaven? Several facts show that this could not be the case.

For example:

If the rich man were in a literal place of burning torment, would not the fire evaporate the water on Lazarus’ fingertip?

Even if it were not evaporated, would a single drop of water bring the rich man lasting relief from his suffering in a literal fire?

How could Abraham be alive in heaven, since Jesus clearly stated that up to the time Jesus related the parable, no one had gone to heaven?—John 3:13.

No. Although this is not a literal story, some argue that it symbolizes the idea that good people go to heaven and bad people are tormented in hellfire. a

The teaching of hellfire does not fit in with what the Bible says about the condition of the dead. For example, it does not say that all good people who die experience bliss in heaven or that bad people are tortured in hellfire. Rather, the Bible clearly states: “The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all.”—Ecclesiastes 9:5.

The story shows that two groups of people were about to experience a great change in circumstances.

The rich man evidently symbolized the Jewish religious leaders, “who were money lovers.” (Luke 16:14) They listened as Jesus spoke, but they opposed his message. These religious leaders looked down on the common people.—John 7:49.

Lazarus symbolized the common people who accepted Jesus’ message and who were despised by the Jewish religious leaders.

The Jewish religious leaders thought that they enjoyed God’s favor. But they experienced death, as it were, when God rejected them and their form of worship because they did not accept Jesus’ message. And they were tormented by the message that Jesus and his followers preached.—Matthew 23:29, 30; Acts 5:29-33.

The common people—who had long been neglected by their religious leaders—were now experiencing favor. Many accepted the Scriptural message that Jesus taught and benefited from it. They now had the opportunity to enjoy God’s favor eternally.—John 17:3.

This is profound

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:30am On Dec 31, 2022
The truth of the matter is that if many should know that eternal suffering in a fairy HellFire is a lie all the churches will be empty next Sunday except the Kingdom Halls of Jehovah's Witnesses. Most people are only scared of the HellFire stuff they don't really have any faith in God but due to their fear for the unknown they attend church services not for the love of God! smiley

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 10:12am On Dec 31, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
The truth of the matter is that if many should know that eternal suffering in a fairy HellFire is a lie all the churches will be empty next Sunday except the Kingdom Halls of Jehovah's Witnesses. Most people are only scared of the HellFire stuff they don't really have any faith in God but due to their fear for the unknown they attend church services not for the love of God! smiley

Denominations don't matter. Nobody gets saved by associations, salvation is personal; not by institutional membership or parental connection

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by knowingChrist(m): 10:14am On Dec 31, 2022
Prosper1912:

For example:

Would you like me to add something to this?

Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Prosper1912: 10:31am On Dec 31, 2022
knowingChrist:

Would you like me to add something to this?

No problem
Re: Will We Still Believe In Jesus In These Situations? by Prosper1912: 10:33am On Dec 31, 2022
knowingChrist:

Good day mr Max. Nice of you to join this convo. However, kindly speak without spite pls. This part of your reply is false. Many people know the truth and fellowship without fear. Are you saying every Jehovah witness is saved? Salvation is not by association but personal.

Thank you btw. Lets discuss more openly pls

If u say that part of his reply is false,can u pls prove it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chruch Hymn Titles By Occupation / When God Visits You / Women And Trousers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.