Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

My Pig Farm Journey - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pig Farm Journey (31683 Views)

The Largest Pig Farm In Plateau State / My Maize Farm Journey / Starting Kuroiler Farm. Journey With Us. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pig Farm Journey by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:37pm On Feb 20, 2023
Kachifo3:

How do u produce their feed..
I buy PKC, Brewery waste, Corn brain, Rice Brain, Rice Brain, processed Soya, Browler Consentrate, Broiler starter feed, Pig Premix, I add a little of Maize, buy everything mix and feed them, I also have a Cassava Farm where I go harvest Cassava some time, cut the harvested cassava like that then soaked inside water to ferment for 3 days then start feeding them on the Pig, they live cassava very well and cassava help them to develop quick body weight.

1 Like

Re: My Pig Farm Journey by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:44pm On Feb 20, 2023
Some people might not like this, if you are a Pig farmer and you based within Lagos or Ogun State, there is a place where we buy Pig feed at a very cheaper rate most of the feed dealers won't be happy as I will be revealing the place, just get to interrchange part of Lagos Ibadan Expressway, tell any one 5hat you are heading to Kajola close to the Breweries, once you get there, you can get any time of Pig feed you want at a very cheaper rate, if going there make sure you go with a very big Cabster Truck with the capacity to carry alot of those feeds.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Pig Farm Journey by GabrielYulaw(m): 1:50am On Feb 21, 2023
DEBJOCH1:
More woods are needed, I will still have to build their wallow pit, their feeding chamber. Though at start, I made alot of consultation, visited alot of farms, I got 97% discouraging word, words such as ahh, if 6ou start Pig with a 2ood3n Pen the Pigs will distory the whole woods, words such as don't even start Pigry in your compound because of the smell, words such as, 8f you have a land already you must have at least N1m before you can even think of starting a Pigery, I did not allow that to discourage me, then I had just N50,000 left with me, both iat home and abroad, I had to call a guy told him to help me fetch some wood, he billed me N25k for the amount of wood I told him, we had to beat it down to N15k, he brought the wood, I got a capenter, the carpenter charged me N20k for the construction of the first 5 rooms, work commence, I already has badly used Zinc and some Tapoolen, I had to beg the Carpenter to use the bad Zinc and Tapoolen that way which he did, I got just 2 bags of Cement which I used for 5hwir Wallow, I am not a bricklayer but I made the wallow my self. I then approached my source where I want to get the Piglets, I was told that the price for each 4 weeks old Piglet was N30,00p last, I had to go back to prepare my self, I went round borrowed money from people came and bought the first 3, brought to the farm, gradually I bought another 2 sets got another set to what I all have now I make sure I feed my Pig very very well, and once Pigs are well fed, they will never go about distroying any wood or anything. I am currently working on building another 5 rooms right I side my compound and I have neighbours living both on my eft and right and no one can persive asingle smell. Good breeds good food gives you an enjoyable pig farm experience

Holy Jesus Christ shocked shocked shocked shocked
I was thinking that you need at least a million to begin piggery business. Like you gotta buy land, buy pigs, and then set aside money each month to buy feed. But you are saying that if land dey, person can start the whole thing with just 200K or less.
Please could you prepare a cost estimate for the whole business, yearly land rental included.
Re: My Pig Farm Journey by DEBJOCH1(m): 1:38pm On Feb 21, 2023
GabrielYulaw:

I was thinking that you need at least a million to begin piggery business. Like you gotta buy land, buy pigs, and then set aside money each month to buy feed. But you are saying that if land dey, person can start the whole thing with just 200K or less.
Please could you prepare a cost estimate for the whole business, yearly land rental included.

Sir, check my farm, you will see that I source virtualy all the whole thing ranging from wood etc my self, I did de bricklaying work which include the wallow pit my self, the job I would have easily relegated to other Capenters, ro bricklayers, I do them my self, in some location they sell saw dust but in my location I got them free of charge, I already have the land, all I needed was just to go to the bush cut wood. You have to leverage on what is obtainable in your environment to save cost, there are some places where you will have to buy wood buy virtually a whole lot of stuff, if you are in such a place, it means you will spend more than that amount. I repeat, I started with less than N60k, the stuff was progressing I was getting more money and adding to it.

Today early morning, Tuesday 21st February 2023, as I am about going to feed them and start preparing self to start coming to work, I saw the Boar trying to mate with one of the Sow, I was happy. But let me shock you, is not just about me being happy, it means I have to start looking for a way of getting more money to get their housing ready for them. If I don't start preparing for 5he extension of their housing, by the time they start giving birth and they don't have enough space for housing, as a Pig farmer, you will almost want to regret or blame your self for keeping lots of Pig.

When staring, I was advised to start with just 3, but 8 have a target, I have passion for what I do, I had made my research concluded on what I want that's was why I started with the numbers I am starting with, I got alot of advise ranging from encouraging and discouraging advises from people and I also know that starting with 10 pigs will be a big problem to me talk more of starting with 12, the reason is because by the time they all start giving birth if you don't have the capacity to tender for them, it might be too difficult for you to survive it, but for me, I know that I am equal to the task. If start with 10 or so and they start giving birth if it happens that you can't feed them as at when due, then you will know you have shot your self on the leg, for me, feeding is not going to be my problem because I have already map out plans on how to manover that bridge.
Pigs already know when they eat their breakfast and evening meal, once that time reach and you don't feed them, they will make lots of noise, that's why one need to factor their feeding when you want to start as well.

1 Like

Re: My Pig Farm Journey by DEBJOCH1(m): 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2023
GabrielYulaw:

Let's say you want to start small and rough like me, having gotten you land already, you will need the following, I will list out what you need without price tagging them. You will need the following:
(1)Wood
(2)A bundle of Zinc to start with at least 2 room
(3) Nails
(4) Bags of Sawdust
(5) At least 2 bags of Cement but you will need an expert to guard you on building the IMO Pen
(6) You can start with 3 Piglets 2 Sow(Female) and 1 Boar (Male) Large white is sold between N20k to N30k Piglets. Some people might advise you to start with ready to mate Pig or buy and ask the farmer to cross them for you. But for me, I started with Tinny 4 weeks old Piglet, I told my source that I don't have up to N80k - N100k to buy one ready to mate Pig, I told her I want to start with my piglets be with them learn from them and watch them grow, I am not in a haste.
So having put all these factors on ground you can now sum everything together base on the prevailing prices of items in your end, but if you are in a rural areas where these things can be source with out you necessarily buying them, you will spend less.
I have a friend in ABJ who told me he buy a bag of Sow dust at N800, you can imagine when you gather at least 40 bags of sow dust at that rate, you can imagine how much you might be spending, but I source mine free of charge, I source my wood free of charge so long you can do the stress of going to the forest to cut them your self, or you give some one money to go cut them for you. So with this least above, it will guard you on how to go about it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Pig Farm Journey by GabrielYulaw(m): 2:06pm On Feb 21, 2023
Thank you so much @DEBJOCH1. Your answers have been very enlightening.
Re: My Pig Farm Journey by opwa4us(m): 11:05am On Feb 22, 2023
Flash sales!! Flash sales!!
Are you tired of high cost of feed?

Are you a pig farmer?
Do you want FRESH WET BREWERY WASTE(SPENT GRAIN) for your pigs for quick growth?
I supply from ilesha to all south west.. excluding Ogun and Lagos

Contact 08068770308.
Note: only serious buyer should dm.

Re: My Pig Farm Journey by millipede: 9:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
Please can I have your email address or WhatsApp number? I’m thinking of starting my pig farm in Abeokuta. Please I have a lot of questions and I’d appreciate it if I get answers from you.
DEBJOCH1:

I buy PKC, Brewery waste, Corn brain, Rice Brain, Rice Brain, processed Soya, Browler Consentrate, Broiler starter feed, Pig Premix, I add a little of Maize, buy everything mix and feed them, I also have a Cassava Farm where I go harvest Cassava some time, cut the harvested cassava like that then soaked inside water to ferment for 3 days then start feeding them on the Pig, they live cassava very well and cassava help them to develop quick body weight.
P
Re: My Pig Farm Journey by Nigerfine3: 7:49pm On Nov 27, 2023
Wow
Anything to use in place of a cemented floor is great. The rate at which pigs spoils cemented floor is alarming.
I did not understand much how he built the saw dust floor.
Is the saw dust floor durable, can it last for long time, do you change the saw dust or how do you maintain it.
Re: My Pig Farm Journey by Mikelarteta(m): 4:13am On Nov 28, 2023
ChineduObinna:
So we started off a pig farm in Ịdị Ose, after Ọjọọ in Ibadan some time in August., Bought some crossbreed growers for fattening and Camborough pure breeds (3 gilts) from a Dutch source, with a pure Camborough boar � from another source. The journey has been interesting �

Pls send your WhatsApp number sir
Re: My Pig Farm Journey by Mikelarteta(m): 4:15am On Nov 28, 2023
ChineduObinna:

Yes they eat pawpaw leaves, peels and even seeds, they eat a lot of organic rubbish actually, but you cannot reach market weight in 3-4months feeding them things like that

What about plantain peel, do they eat or amd is it very good for them?
Re: My Pig Farm Journey by Jovar(m): 4:13pm On Nov 28, 2023
Higher Yield.. Bigger fruits budded dwarf Sweet orange 🍊 Tangerlo, Grape citrus, Lemon, Shaddock,... #2,000 (discount available)
If you can water💦 them, you can plant them anytime.
Jovar Resources™ RC2875407

Other high yield seedlings:
Ugu
Neem
Cocoa
Coffee
Mango🥭
Walnut
Almond
Ogbono
Passion
Moringa🌿
Soursop
Avocado🥑
Coconut🥥
Cassava
Aloe vera
Teak/gedu🌳
Strawberry🍓
Dates/debino
Pomegranate🍒
Jumbo guava
Dwarf Pawpaw
Jumbo Cashew
Cherry/Agbalumo
Bell/Nigerian apple
Sugar apple/Sweetsop
Jackfruit/Breadfruit(Ukwa)
Miracle/Sweet berry/Agbayun
Tenera& Super gene oilpalm🌴
Avocado, Ube& Hass Avocado/Pear
Improved Plantain, Banana& Pineapple sucker
Foreign🍎apples🍏Wambugu,Anna,Dorset Golden

SEEDS:
Watermelon🍉,Pepper,Tomato🍅,Cucumber🥒,onion🌰,Cabbage,Lettuce🥬,Carrot🥕

No 11, aba-ibeji, Ibadan: easy waybill to anywhere readily available.

Re: My Pig Farm Journey by safarifarms(m): 10:47am On Dec 07, 2023
I will love to see the wallow pit. Can you share pics please?
DEBJOCH1:
Let me add this, Pigs are not dirty but the care givers are the once who makes Pigs to look dirty, I have had time to be with Pigs study and I serve their behaviour very well that's why I come to that conclusion. Pigs are the most brelent of all the animal. Pig learn very fast, they learn by observing things. They are the only animal who knows the time they get their breakfast and the time their get their dinner. Pigs are not like any other animal who just dedicate or Urinate any where they see, once you introduce Pigs to their Pen, after like some days, they will choose a particular position where they will be going to deficate and Urinate. Once they feel like unirinating they will walk to that position and do that. Pigs don't have Sweat glad that's the reason they put their body on anything water they come across as at the time they fee heat. Once upon a time I have once been at a crises scene were the security personnel had to throw tear gas there, at that time, you will even see people looking for gutter water to wash their face. If human can do that, put your self in the position of a Pig which God has created without a sweat gland, meaning that any time Pigs feels heat they will looking anything water to cool their body, regardless how the water might be, they don't care. That's why as a Pig farmer you must always have a good clean water source. Just like my boss the owner of this trend was doing sprinkling water on the body of the pig, at least you should be doing that to them twice or 3 times in a day's expecially at hot season, if you can be doing that, make sure you have a wallow pit which is filled up with water. That's what I do, I feed my pigs early in the morning, fill their water pit with water, make sure I give them alot of food, luck their door and go to work come back 6pm.
By the time the sun will be heavy, all they do is to come one after the other go inside the water pig swim and cool their body come out lay down and rest till in the evening when I will come back from work. If I come back, I quickly remove that water give them fresh water to drink. Each time you come to see the Pigs, they are always very neat. But some farmers are not like that, they leave their pen and environment very dirty and the pigs will capitalize on that bad environment. 2hy 2ill a farmer be keeping Pigs, you are not using the IMO system, you won't clean your pen, you won't change their water for days?, Why 2ont the Pugs in such a condition not to be dirty?.
Re: My Pig Farm Journey by swankylay(m): 7:50am On Jan 10
Thanks . Pls can I get a sample layout of ur pen /farm house and how is your stocking density like.

Thanks

ChineduObinna:
Having studied Animal Science, this project has been interesting all the way.

Feel free to consult for any enquires(housing, stocking, feeding, treatment etc)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chinese Investors Abandon Cocoa Products Industry In Ede / Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice / My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.