Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,829 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture (42243 Views)

"All Eyes On The Judiciary" Billboard Erected In Abuja - Photos / Can Someone Explain Why Kaduna Nzeogwu Is Igbo But His Village Is Not Igboland? / Biography Of Kaduna Nzeogwu By Olusegun Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by gidgiddy: 8:26am On Jan 16, 2023
wirinet:

All four regions did not sign anything. What really happened at Aburi was that the military hierarchy came together in Ghana to work out a power sharing agreement in order to avoid an impending war. Forget that the military had just appointed some of its members as military Governors as part of the power sharing agreement as a fall out from the January 1966 coup. It had no civilian or constitutional backing.

I have searched the Internet for the actual signed agreement and the signatures on the agreement, I am yet to find one. All I am able to see is the communique of the meeting. Obviously, you can't expect the country to be governed by a communique. A true copy of such agreement should have been kept for posterity.

Now, when the military agreed communique termed accord got back to Nigeria, most politicians particularly in the South rejected it. Ken saro wiwa was strongly opposed to it, because lumps them politically them in with the igbos, and he fears domination by the igbos.

Prince Akenzua wrote a memo to Gowon stating their opposition to the accord. There was so much opposition to the accord from Mid Western and Eastern Nigeria (minorities) that Gowon called for a meeting in Benin to discuss the accord. The accord was overwhelming rejected by all other Regions except the Eastern region that failed to attend the meeting.

How can you then say the accord was signed by all 4 Regions?

All 4 military Governors of the time were in Aburi, and all 4 signed the agreement. Gowon also signed. A portion of the agreement stipulated that the Aburi accord was binding "only for the period of military rule"

After signing an agreement in front if the then President of Ghana, Gowon came back and started rejecting the agreement. What Gowon should have done is negotiate another agreement if he wasnt happy with what he signed

To make matters worse, Gowon enacted Decree 14 and Decree 15, in flagrant violation of the agreement he signed

Decree 14 abolished all 4 Regions and created 12 new states to replace them. Decree 15 removed resource control and fiscal responsibility and placed it in the hands of the Federal government

Ojukwu had no other choice but to declare Biafra

When a signed agreement is violated, there is always trouble, and the person who broke the agreement bears responsibility for that

4 Likes

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Blaze14k: 8:27am On Jan 16, 2023
TechW:
So Nzeogwu is not from Anambra state or SE?
I learned that he was brought up in Kaduna.

I guess their sin here is that they are the first to execute coup because, there were records of other coups that happened thereafter, even after the civil war.
Why are other perpetrators not been vilified too, some have been rewarded with presidential seat?

Your statement is correct also a yoruba man was involved in that coup to install awolowo who was sentenced to 10yrs in prison
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Goodlady(f): 8:30am On Jan 16, 2023
Bantu10:

Nigga, stop assuming. All those are in your head. If you think the comment talked about tinubu, then it's fine. It's all in your head.

But you should be aware of one thing: guilty conscience fears no accusation.

Just rmbr to vote wisely this coming election.
Sure I ll.voge wisely during the election and you should stop your tribalistic posts.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by tctrills: 8:30am On Jan 16, 2023
Moh247:
I wonder what an Ogbomoso indegene must feel... Same guy that killed Samuel Ladoke Akintola
In case you don't know, a road in Ikene Ogun state is named after him. I wonder what Ogbomoso indegenes must feel about their Ogun state brothers.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by gidgiddy: 8:33am On Jan 16, 2023
BluntTheApostle:

The Nzeogwu Kaduna coup began the journey towards the civil war.

It was also unnecessarily bloody.

Why kill the Prime Minister when you already had him? Was that necessary?

Why kill Ahmadu Bello?

Brig. Samuel Ademulegun was even in bed when the drunken coup plotters came. He was not putting up any resistance. They not only killed him, they killed his 8 month pregnant wife as well.

Why?

The only man who put up resistance was Chief S.L.K. Akintola who exchanged gunfire with the coup plotters until he exhausted his ammunition.

That coup intensified tribalism in Nigerian Army (something previously unheard of).

To make matters worse, JTU Aguiyi Ironsi made it seem like he was pampering the coup plotters.

Affected regions were pissed off that their sons were brutally murdered, and all everyone wanted was for Aguiyi Ironsi to execute the coup plotters. But when it seemed like he would not do that, the harmony in the Nigerian Army began to die, until finally there was a mutiny in the Army.

Igbo soldiers began to be targeted and killed. Imagine, an army which used to be one, which used to be praised as "a place for gentlemen" became divided along ethnic lines.

If Nzeogwu's coup led us to civil war, why didnt Murtalas coup, Dimkas coup, Buharis coup, orkahs coup, Babangidas coup and Abachas coup all lead us to civil war,

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by kingthreat(m): 8:35am On Jan 16, 2023
ogbe88:
It's good to seek knowledge before assuming.
In his early days growing up in Kaduna town, his friend gave him the name, it's like an affinity to the town.
Secondly he was highly intelligent, sheer will and focused amongst his peers.

Why would an Igbo man name his son "Kaduna"?
Why dem no name you "Kafanchan" ? grin
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Blaze14k: 8:36am On Jan 16, 2023
Moh247:
I wonder what an Ogbomoso indegene must feel... Same guy that killed Samuel Ladoke Akintola

Oh yes that same akintola was involved in conflict him and awolowo of which he connived with balewe to throw awolowo into prison. You bastards will all perish in hell for this evil agenda.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by kingthreat(m): 8:36am On Jan 16, 2023
AkpaMgbor:

Go and ask your elder brother pastor Tunde Bakare who talked about it subtly yesterday.

It's all assumptions. Funsho Williams death was either as a result of the infighting in PDP or the PDP/APC rift. Shame on the Nigerian judicial system RIP Funsho Williams
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by kingthreat(m): 8:37am On Jan 16, 2023
gidgiddy:

His parents gave him the middle name 'Kaduna' because thats where he was born

Alright. I am learning.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by mrksquare: 8:37am On Jan 16, 2023
gidgiddy:
Okpanam is an Igbo town on the outskirts of Asaba, capital of Delta State. Years ago, the indigenes erected a statue in memory of Chukwuma Nzeogwu, their famous son who led Nigeria's first coup

People of Okpanam still believe that Nzeogwu led more than a coup, they believe he led a revolution

If not for the personality war between Awolowo and Akintola and the support of Prime Minister Belewa to the latter; If not for the Western region crisis that heated up the system, Chukwuma Nzeogwu and his band of coupist would not have upened the political system.

Aguiyi Ironsi also didn't take step to pacify the Northern region. If only he had put all the coupist to trial with capital punishment meted out to them, Theophilus Danjuma and his boys would not have killed him. And the civil war would have been averted. But Aguiyi was only fixated in consolidating power by coming up with his draconian decree that plunged Nigeria into our present unitary system.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by kcnwaigbo: 8:40am On Jan 16, 2023
Kewtt:

That town should be razed to ashes. It truncated the Nigeria of our dreams. The statue makes everyone there an accomplice. An evidence of why we must not vote anything from that region ever
You mean people from the south-south should never be elected as president?

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by alobright17(m): 8:43am On Jan 16, 2023
TechW:

I guess their sin here is that they are the first to execute coup because, there were records of other coups that happened thereafter, even after the civil war.
Why are other perpetrators not been vilified too, some have been rewarded with presidential seat?
Maybe you should blame Tinubu
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Nigerfine3: 8:47am On Jan 16, 2023
Kewtt:

That town should be razed to ashes. It truncated the Nigeria of our dreams. The statue makes everyone there an accomplice. An evidence of why we must not vote anything from that region ever
The region gives you OIL, that’s why you all do not castigate them.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by TechW: 8:48am On Jan 16, 2023
alobright17:

Maybe you should blame Tinubu
Was Tinubu his name?
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by CaptainAyub: 8:49am On Jan 16, 2023
Bantu10:

Same thing true lagosians feel seeing the man who killed Funsho Williams going about campaigning to be president
grin cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by sageb: 8:49am On Jan 16, 2023
mrksquare:

If not for the personality war between Awolowo and Akintola and the support of Prime Minister Belewa to the latter; If not for the Western region crisis that heated up the system, Chukwuma Nzeogwu and his band of coupist would not have upened the political system.

Aguiyi Ironsi also didn't take step to pacify the Northern region. If only he had put all the coupist to trial with capital punishment meted out to them, Theophilus Danjuma and his boys would not have killed him. And the civil war would have been averted. But Aguiyi was only fixated in consolidating power by coming up with his draconian decree that plunged Nigeria into our present unitary system.

Yes, the inactions of Ironsi escalated the problem.

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by SocialJustice: 8:50am On Jan 16, 2023
TechW:

Why are other perpetrators not been vilified too, some have been rewarded with presidential seat even?
This life na luck. Some people's luck play out very well.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Ruthless70: 8:51am On Jan 16, 2023
AbdulMagaji:

Listen to the conversation in the video and get the feelings back then.

No wonder Nigeria deleted history from it's curriculum so that persons like you would live in assumption

Now I know the assumption you talk about you yourself...

How can you tell me a person that has 2 degrees in political science is naive to Africa history...

Funny you.

All I like about you is that U r unlike some fools whom always taint there reasoning with insult n abusive speach

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by wirinet(m): 8:51am On Jan 16, 2023
gidgiddy:

All 4 military Governors of the time were in Aburi, and all 4 signed the agreement. Gowon also signed. A portion of the agreement stipulated that the Aburi accord was binding "only for the period of military rule"

After signing an agreement in front if the then President of Ghana, Gowon came back and started rejecting the agreement. What Gowon should have done is negotiate another agreement if he wasnt happy with what he signed

To make matters worse, Gowon enacted Decree 14 and Decree 15, in flagrant violation of the agreement he signed

Decree 14 abolished all 4 Regions and created 12 new states to replace them. Decree 15 removed resource control and fiscal responsibility and placed it in the hands of the Federal government

Ojukwu had no other choice but to declare Biafra

When a signed agreement is violated, there is always trouble, and the person who broke the agreement bears responsibility for that

You are just behaving like a pre-recorded audio that's meant to play a certain sound bite no matter the fact. You mind is already made up on your narrative without even bothering to present any evidence.

I asked for a signed copy of the agreement you don't even bother discussing it.

I told you that the Aburi meeting was a power sharing agreement purely military officers to prevent the impending war, you pretend you did not see it.

I presented the fact that civilians from the other Regions rejected the accord, you become oblivious.

Not only did civilians reject the aburi accord, some senior military officers who were bypassed in the power sharing appointments like T.Y. Danjuma and Murtala Muhammed rejected the accord.

See more of what really transpired below. I hope your mind can grasp new information.

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:51am On Jan 16, 2023
CursedOsuPigs:

Which leprosy hands?

Your hatred of Tinubu is making you lose sanity.

See a shrink.

Olohun a fun e la'laafia o
No one takes a cursed osu Pig serious. undecided
Iwó lo need alàáfiá.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by frowland(m): 8:55am On Jan 16, 2023
zumbigbo:

The snakes are those who follow the niggerarea plan as devised by their white overlords and Fulani princes and fear being able to devise their own future, devoid of western interference...go and read Sankara/lumumbA to see what happens to Africans who refuse to be slaves...

You are a duitiful slave
How can I eat this week? Oh wait!
Besides it’s only someone with a slave mentality will believe that ‘anyone born west of Niger is not Igbo just because his slave masters drew an imaginary line calling it SE/SS/SW’.

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by CursedOsuPigs: 9:00am On Jan 16, 2023
TOPCRUISE:

No one takes a cursed osu Pig serious. undecided
Iwó lo need alàáfiá.

Kikikikiki grin

Awa lalaafia to pe ye o. A dupe o. Alekun allafia lawa ntoro o.

Abi, se iwo o fe allafia ni?
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Idiko1: 9:05am On Jan 16, 2023
kingthreat:

Why would an Igbo man name his son "Kaduna"?
Why dem no name you "Kafanchan" ? grin

His name remains Patrick Chukwuma Nzeogwu. The "Kaduna" crap was nickname given by his mates because who was born and raised in Kaduna.

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by MadarasBlade(m): 9:06am On Jan 16, 2023
okeyfx:
I swear if you read this Nzeogwu Speech and shame no dey still catch you, you are not a true NIGERIAN. Nzeogwu Speech "This is the end of the Extraordinary Order of the Day which you will soon begin to see displayed in public. My dear countrymen, no citizen should have anything to fear, so long as that citizen is law abiding and if that citizen has religiously obeyed the native laws of the country and those set down in every heart and conscience since 1st October, 1960.

Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds.

Like good soldiers we are not promising anything miraculous or spectacular. But what we do promise every law abiding citizen is freedom from fear and all forms of oppression, freedom from general inefficiency and freedom to live and strive in every field of human endeavour, both nationally and internationally. We promise that you will no more be ashamed to say that you are a Nigerian.

I leave you with a message of good wishes and ask for your support at all times, so that our land, watered by the Niger and Benue, between the sandy wastes and gulf of guinea, washed in salt by the mighty Atlantic, shall not detract Nigeria from gaining sway in any great aspect of international endeavour. My dear countrymen, this is the end of this speech."

VOTE WISELY O

My god, this is beautiful.

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by gidgiddy: 9:10am On Jan 16, 2023
wirinet:

You are just behaving like a pre-recorded audio that's meant to play a certain sound bite no matter the fact. You mind is already made up on your narrative without even bothering to present any evidence.

I told you that the Aburi meeting was a power sharing agreement purely military officers to prevent the impending war, you pretend you did not see it.

I presented the fact that civilians from the other Regions rejected the accord, you become oblivious.

Not only did civilians reject the aburi accord, some senior military officers who were bypassed in the power sharing appointments like T.Y. Danjuma and Murtala Muhammed rejected the accord.

See more of what really transpired below. I hope your mind can grasp new information.

Ok lets forget if the Aburi accord was signed or not, we can agree that all 4 military Governors of the time, with Gowon, reached an agreement at Aburi. Ghana

Who are civilians in military rule? Civilians have little or no say in military Government, it is not democracy. So it doesn't matter which civilian was not happy with what was agreed at Aburi.

Lets call a spade a spade. Gowon could not implement what was agreed in Aburi because it prevented him and his fellow Northern cohorts from getting that which they wanted the most, political control of Nigeria

So Gowon quickly abolished the 4 Regions, created 12 states, half of which was given to the North, then dismantled resource control to make the federal government all powerful

Of course, Ojukwu and the East were not going to have that blatant attempt at domination, and seceded, which led to war

3 Likes

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Idiko1: 9:13am On Jan 16, 2023
wirinet:

I disagree. Yes there were a few corrupt politicians like my tribesmen Okotie-eboh, Akintola and maybe maybe Fani Kayode. But most of the politicians were honest, a did a lot of good things, developments in their regions. I could not think of one Northerner Eastern leader accused of corruption. Most politicians of that era died in poverty, no huge bank accounts, no properties scattered all over the place and no extravagant lifestyles.

Above post can only come from a stream of thought typical of Nigerian. Corruption does not end at the embezzlement of fund. There are more to corruptible practices than fiscal embezzlement.

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Enceladus(m): 9:20am On Jan 16, 2023
Kaduna Nzeogwu, the great optimist wanted to build a One Nigeria but came to the painful realisation. Rest on soldier.

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by MadarasBlade(m): 9:22am On Jan 16, 2023
franchasng:
The only mistake those first coupists did was sparing Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, they ought to have eliminated him like they did to then horrible leaders like Ahmadu Bello, Akintola.

Tafawa Belewa was a good man that was misled by two Muslim Jihadists Ahmadu Bello and Akintola leading to their ostracizing and jailing Christian leader Awolowo which made the young Southern Military guys led by Igbo soldiers to strike.

The same Muslim Jihadist agenda that Ahmadu Bello and Akintola were pushing for that made these guys to fight back is what Buhari and his Fulani brothers are still pursuing today, killing Northern Christians in the name of cattle herding.

Thank God the ignorant Middle Belt Christians they used against Biafrans in the 1960s are gradually waking up and realizing who their real enemies are.

Eliminate Nnamdi for what?
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by MadarasBlade(m): 9:23am On Jan 16, 2023
GeneralPula:

Self deceit..

His coup is still among why SE remains a miserable land till date..

I hope you're a billionaire and your land is full of millk and honey? How much do you buy fuel now?
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by MadarasBlade(m): 9:25am On Jan 16, 2023
fredoooooo:

What lead us to Aburi in the first place,,,? Aint we suppose to be in Nigeria peacefully

Northerners were killing igbos then, we retaliated after so many such killings.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by MadarasBlade(m): 9:25am On Jan 16, 2023
Kobonaire2023:

The coup did start the war. Without the coup there would have been no need for aburi

What led to the coup?
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Idiko1: 9:26am On Jan 16, 2023
wirinet:

Arrant nonsense!!! When did Murtala Muhammed and T.Y. Danjuma become some senior military officers? Danjuman was in the same intake as Capt. Ben Gbulie and was flunked out of position in RMA Sandhurst, UK at Tesire, Ghana. Murtala Muhammed was senior to Onwuatuegwu in Sandhurst, UK but was commissioned in the same parade with Timothy because Tim's academic prowess. Tim Onwuatuegwu earned a brigade cadet. A position only equaled by his superiors such Keshi and Obienu from the same British Royal Military Academy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Banky W Break Silence As He Loses Eti-Osa Reps Seat To Labour Party / Nigerian Women Are The Cause Of This Dollar Crisis - Isaac Fayose / UPDATE: Guard Averts Mass Casualty From Jos Church Explosion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.