Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? (23755 Views)

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off / I Watched My Brother, Sani, Die - Dangote Tells Tinubu / $4800 Sent To Me By My Brother Has Been Hijacked By Nigeria Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 6:36pm On Jan 16, 2023
Reinamaria:

Come to an agreement with your brother.
See it as your way of supporting him.

Thanks, I will.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 7:50pm On Jan 16, 2023
yemmit90:

You should've adopted a good strategy the moment you see his bogus quotations and the cheaper ones from other source. He got you the contract, same way he is expecting you 100% to buy materials from him, don't jeopardise your relationship with his person because of today.

I will do this if in your shoes, the moment I see his quotations, I won't even say anything, I will just reduce what I need to buy, 60% from him and get the 40% from other source. He won't suspect anything, since I did not argue or protest his price.

I already gave him the list of all the materials I need so coming around to say I need only 60% now would come off as suspicious. Thanks though.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 7:52pm On Jan 16, 2023
brain54:
Op honestly…

And with all due respect. You do sound like a very greedy person.

What do you even mean by he has other things going for him? Because he has other things going for him you won’t give him his due?

You have seen food now and you think tomorrow will never come.

Chop this one this time and clean mouth but don’t expect any more recommendation from him…

Simple!

So he's not greedy for raising his prices on his own brother..I'm the greedy one now right? That's just great bro!

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 7:56pm On Jan 16, 2023
Ishilove:
So because his brother got him the contract, he shouldn't make profit?? The brother here is the problem, not the OP. If it was another buyer will he not try to shift a little bit so his prices can be competitive?

Asin eh..

He who comes to equity must do so with clean hands.
He also has the option of beating down his own price to match my own.. if he really needs the money, why must I be the only one to inconvenience my self?
Some advice are just one sided mehn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 8:01pm On Jan 16, 2023
Ariketolu:
Op. I understand your angle of view honestly, and that is simply what a smart business minded person would think -maximizing profit.
However, trust me you can't have your cake and eat it. You lost every tendency to have it all to yourself the moment your bro sidelined other contractors to secure it for you. He could have worked it for someone else you know, and I fear that will be his smartest option if you insist on not buying from him.
I guess this is your first serious business dealing with him because there was no trace to any prior pattern btw both of you on your write up and oops, you want to spoil it all in your first "hit".

You're right this is our first gig together..
and even if I agree to give in to his wishes on this deal. Even you will call me a fool if I continue to patronize him in this manner. I can't be throwing away money like that na...
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 8:03pm On Jan 16, 2023
Oblongata:
What is happening to you is simply *selfishness*

Your brother was wrong to had used you as plug, he should have used outsider that would be appreciative. How can you even think of sidelining him? Your type is the reason people run away from helping family. But my guess is that you are either too young to understand life, or you are simply a wicked fellow.

Person give you food chop, you wan con hold him hand make him no Chop, no be juju be Dat?

grin grin
Na wa o, but seriously why him sef no wan gree price na bros? I don do my market survey o.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 8:03pm On Jan 16, 2023
jmoore:
Those saying the poster is greedy should be flogged!!

Una go just open mouth to spill nonsense!!

The same people that say fuel marketers are greedy for increasing price of fuel are the same people saying the poster is greedy for not wanting to buy materials at higher price.

As in that's just my take bro.. it's business and very straightforward.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Stanweezy(m): 8:36pm On Jan 16, 2023
All i can smell here is greediness

OP if u patronize ur bro and still have gain, go ahead and buy from him

I can only suggest u go else where if at all the plus and minus nothing is left for u

As a business man, no be everyday I dey chop, some days i waste my own money on client but the day i go chop the client i go add all the money i wasted doing Mr. Good on his or her head and they will still come back to thank me for been a good man

8 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by brain54(m): 8:50pm On Jan 16, 2023
kenedyx:

So he's not greedy for raising his prices on his own brother..I'm the greedy one now right? That's just great bro!
Sure bro…

You the greedy one here. After removing the cost of materials will you still make profit? And also did he request anything from you before he “twicked” the contract in your favor? If he had requested a kickback from you before it was awarded how would you have felt as a brother?

That’s his way of compensating himself for his efforts because he cannot ask a kick back from you as an elder bro!

After subtracting cost of materials and you still make profit then buy from him.

Chop small today and chop bigger tomorrow. This is just a tip of the iceberg of things to come. Think of the doors that will open in your favor after this contract is completed successfully.

That’s asides the maybe strained relationship that may result from this.

A good businessman should NEVER be greedy. Sometimes it’s not about the immediate gains to come but about the future benefits to come that matter. I have personally seen some contractors use their personal money to complete projects just to boost their portfolio.

Here you are complaining of small profit. If he hadn’t helped you would you have gotten the contract? Talk less of profit…

Money is transient. Think about it!

My opinion though!

7 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Ishilove: 8:56pm On Jan 16, 2023
kenedyx:

You're right this is our first gig together..
and even if I agree to give in to his wishes on this deal. Even you will call me a fool if I continue to patronize him in this manner. I can't be throwing away money like that na...
You win some, you lose some. I don't see you winning this.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by realestate99: 9:21pm On Jan 16, 2023
emmanuelbrown26:

Greed is playing at d bolded bro. Either greed is about to get hold of u or ur brother since he brought d deal and knows d worth of d deal.
See, if u want to succeed in business or deals, u hv to let go sometimes, u can't get it all d time. Allow him to supply u d materials, in as much as u still hv some profit. But if there is no profit at all after supply, u can come to d roundtable and do some negotiations with him.
Kill that spirit of Greed right now or u get it wrong
You are actually right, what if he did not get the contract, won't he survive? I know it hurts but he needs to do this one for his brother with a Stern warning that such won't repeat itself again. Cutting the brother off at this first time no matter the circumstance shows a high degree of greed.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by realestate99: 9:26pm On Jan 16, 2023
brain54:

Sure bro…

You the greedy one here. After removing the cost of materials will you still make profit? And also did he request anything from you before he “twicked” the contract in your favor? If he had requested a kickback from you before it was awarded how would you have felt as a brother?

That’s his way of compensating himself for his efforts because he cannot ask a kick back from you as an elder bro!

After subtracting cost of materials and you still make profit then buy from him.

Chop small today and chop bigger tomorrow. This is just a tip of the iceberg of things to come. Think of the doors that will open in your favor after this contract is completed successfully.

A good businessman should NEVER be greedy. Sometimes it’s not about the immediate gains to come but about the future benefits to come that matter. I have personally seen some contractors use their personal money to complete projects just to boost their portfolio.

Here you are complaining of small profit. If he hadn’t helped you would you have gotten the contract? Talk less of profit…

My opinion though!
Leave the guy. There is a Yoruba proverb , Eni rinkan he tofe ku nitorie, owo eni toti Sonu nko?
Someone that is obsessed with misplaced thing he picked on the road, what should the actual owner that lost the thing do?

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by yemmit90: 9:36pm On Jan 16, 2023
kenedyx:

I already gave him the list of all the materials I need so coming around to say I need only 60% now would come off as suspicious. Thanks though.

Yes, it would looks so since you'd shown your displeasure about his quotation. It would've been easier if nothing of such happened.

But to be honest, If there is no prior agreement between both of you to supply at inflated price, then he is a wicked brother. Just buy it from him and allow the peace to rein. But from now on, make sure you do whatever in your capacity to be free from his influence.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by belcom10(m): 9:43pm On Jan 16, 2023
Support your Bro, buy from him. Don't worry about the money you think you will lose. Just see it as a way of given to him.

Another suggestion would be, if possible divide the supply into two equal amount, give one part to your brother and other part to another cheaper supplier.

kenedyx:
I got a huge contract through my brother's company.

The contract is securely in my possession now and I've been fully paid. Initially, the plan was for my bro to supply me the materials

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewhere.

I've asked him to beat down his price but he's adamant. I plan on sidelining him if he doesn't do the needful.

Guys any thoughts on this?
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by brain54(m): 9:46pm On Jan 16, 2023
realestate99:

Leave the guy. There is a Yoruba proverb , Eni rinkan he tofe ku nitorie, owo eni Tori Sonu nko?
Someone that is obsessed with misplaced thing he picked on the road, what should the actual owner that lost the thing do?
Exactly…

Best way to put it!
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by 9japride(m): 9:54pm On Jan 16, 2023
jmoore:

The same people that say fuel marketers are greedy for increasing price of fuel are the same people saying the poster is greedy for not wanting to buy materials at higher price.
[color=#006600][/color]

In this kind of situation wisdom is very necessary. The OP is acting as if to say this contract is the biggest thing right now. He doesn't know he can win more contracts if this one goes through. Sometimes, it's better to gain small and win big later. Normally, our 9ja mentality is to grab everything. He should sacrifice and get this one first and use it to learn a lot about life.

5 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 10:01pm On Jan 16, 2023
brain54:

Sure bro…

My opinion though!

Thanks man.
He still needs to beat down his prices and make it more competitive.. or next time I definitely won't patronize him.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by obinna58(m): 10:05pm On Jan 16, 2023
Resigning is more of a better option for you here than going against him

Mind you he won’t let you resign
Plead with him and make him see the obvious
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 10:06pm On Jan 16, 2023
Ishilove:

You win some, you lose some. I don't see you winning this.

Definitely not winning this one.
Things we do for family! I'm the proverbial scape-goat.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by obinna58(m): 10:06pm On Jan 16, 2023
kenedyx:

Thanks man.
He still needs to beat down his prices and make it more competitive.. or next time I definitely won't patronize him.
Thunder strike your ass

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Oblongata: 10:28pm On Jan 16, 2023
kenedyx:

grin grin
Na wa o, but seriously why him sef no wan gree price na bros? I don do my market survey o.
In business it is allowed to be greedy! If the thing no favor you make you loud am. But never you consider sidelining him, not even for a second!!!

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by brain54(m): 10:35pm On Jan 16, 2023
kenedyx:

Thanks man.
He is your elder brother…

This is we’re your negotiating skills should come into play.

I am sure he knows you will make profit hence the quotation he is giving you. He ain’t that wicked.

Negotiate. That’s what business men do!

2 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by TheeDetective: 12:05am On Jan 17, 2023
Hmmm; I Just dey laugh when I dey see how you dey reposnd to everyone. The ones wey agree with you, you go say NICE ONE. The ones wey no agree, you go GIVE EXPLANATION like say them no sabi.

Let me use your quote “I got a huge contract through my brother's company”.

It is the influence of your brother that made you get the contract in the first place. This tells me that your brother played his part well in getting you this contract. He could have supported someone else as well to secure the contract; but instead, your brother decided to support you and it worked out well in the end because you were able to secure the contract.

Agreed (try and negotiate); his prices are higher than other suppliers you have approached. Of course; going to the cheaper supplier is better as you said. But have you considered the quality of the materials? They might be cheaper with another supplier; but what about the quality? undecided Can you compare the quality of the materials of those suppliers with that of your brother’s? undecided

As a few have encouraged you; if after the amount you will use to buy the materials from your brother, you can still make a profit; then go and buy from your brother. If there is no profit; I will still say buy from your brother as this is your first dealing with your brother on securing contracts. If your brother sees that you still patronised him despite his higher prices, you don’t know what next he has in store for you.
Another contract coming your way might even be bigger than this one. Your brother knowing that you patronised him when you secured the first one, will not hesitate to help out again and use his influence again for you to secure the contract.

Don’t fail the test at your first hurdle in your business dealing with your brother. Don’t create a rift between you and your brother. In some instances in business dealings, you win some and you lose some as Ishilove has said grin. ENOUGH SAID.
kenedyx:

The contract is securely in my possession now and I've been fully paid. Initially, the plan was for my bro to supply me the materials

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewhere.

I've asked him to beat down his price but he's adamant. I plan on sidelining him if he doesn't do the needful.

6 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Originalsly: 12:36am On Jan 17, 2023
Bro .... same way you feel entitled to the nax profit the contract can bring .... what would you say of him if he feels entitled to more of the profit because after all .... if it weren't for his company you will have no contract? You may not realize it ..... but greed on your part is clearly written between the lines.... you are restless because your profit will be reduced by 10% or whatever. Since your brother showed you how much the supplies cost ... then show him how to increase his profit by letting him know of the cheaper suppliers....(which he already know but can't now admit he lied). This will appear as if you gave him vital info. I w9uld advise you buy from him.... and be satisfied with whatever profit you make ... that's the price you'll pay for maintaining the relationship with him. He may reconsider his actions and you guys may be on the same page supporting and growing each other in the future... but then again.... hmmmmm ...... let me shut up and find out..... I just want to know if greed is hereditary??

2 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by IsellSmartTvs: 12:55am On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Never choose money over human relationships.One good turn deserves another.
U are behaving like this will be ur last contract….thread wisely or u might make an irreparable mistake.
This is where the saying of “Money is the root of all evil” fits In.
Don’t use ur head,rather use ur heart
Ur bro has been letting u use his brand,but na now u realize say ur brother market cost.
Everyone sees what u don’t see,cus u asked for our opinion.U just want him to reduce the price to ur satisfaction cus u seen other favorable prices,what if ur bro didn’t get his current commodity at the prices others are giving u? Do u want him to Incur loss just bcus u want to make excessive interest?

3 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by EstateVerify: 2:55am On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

He sells the materials. There was no prior agreement of sorts ..just that naturally it's expected that I buy from him since he sells it.

But the honest truth is that I got a hold of his supplier and even other suppliers too.. the difference is just too much to ignore.

grin @ bolded
I get that, but should I be cheated by my own bro?

So you got hold of his supplier... Hnm

Why not also get hold of his suppliers suppliers.

Or just go directly to the manufacturer...

The manufacturer also marked up, why not just produce yourself...

I forgot, the sellers of raw materials are too greedy.. You should just start producing your raw materials.

In Business, you focus on your own profit, and keep your eyes off other peoples own. The moment you want to have it all, or control other peoples profit, you lose focus and lose business.

This concept is supposed to come natural, because it is common sense. But those doomed to loss or destruction learn the hard way.

Buy from your brother or not, you will learn, and I hope you don't learn the hard way

4 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by 07kjb: 5:53am On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Actually thanks for this suggestion.

Better to buy it cheaper and share the profits with him. So it will be sort of even.

Great input.

Buy from your bro he isn't asking for any profit BE WISE
U ARE GONNA STAIN A RELATIONSHIP WITH UR BRO FOR LIFE IF U CONTINUE BEING TOO SMART

2 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by hakeemhakeem(m): 6:42am On Jan 17, 2023
Op who gave you the prices you quoted during the presentation? I believed your brother had done the sorting to those guys who works with the company which he added to the prices. If you want more of this kind of jobs buy from him. Moreover, did you have any knowledge / done the job before
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by frozen70(f): 7:15am On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Since he influenced the deal, don't sideline him

Get some from him and sort some outside

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Cashio(m): 7:17am On Jan 17, 2023
jmoore:

You don't understand what is called sacrifice. There is in business, what is called relationship.
You don't gain everything my friend. I'm not calling her greedy, but she needs the right information.
Firstly, she got this contract through her brother's company, it is wise for her to patronize her brother nomatter what so as to keep the relationship going for her own good.
If she fails to buy from her brother, automatically, she has closed that door and is the loser eventually because her brother's company might still put her up for bigger contracts later.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by emmanuelbrown26: 8:09am On Jan 17, 2023
realestate99:

You are actually right, what if he did not get the contract, won't he survive? I know it hurts but he needs to do this one for his brother with a Stern warning that such won't repeat itself again. Cutting the brother off at this first time no matter the circumstance shows a high degree of greed.
That's problem with some people. When u look at 2 different people doing same business, after like 5 to 10 years time, u would see that one has gone far than d other. Some would see it as charms not knowing that greed took over d other one.
From what op wrote, he factored his life wahala in d profit which is a wrong move

3 Likes

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 9:15am On Jan 17, 2023
hakeemhakeem:
Op who gave you the prices you quoted during the presentation? I believed your brother had done the sorting to those guys who works with the company which he added to the prices. If you want more of this kind of jobs buy from him. Moreover, did you have any knowledge / done the job before

I made the first quotation to the company myself based on my own knowledge of market prices. I've always had an idea of the prices.

I've always known, also, that my bro's prices were higher. But I was hoping we could reach some compromise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sade Okoya Praises 78 Year Old Billionaire Husband, Advises Ladies / Confusion As New Naira Note Shortage Takes Toll On Nigerians!! / Dollar Scarcity: Banks Suspend ATM Card Usage Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.