Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,027 members, 7,825,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? (23786 Views)

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off / I Watched My Brother, Sani, Die - Dangote Tells Tinubu / $4800 Sent To Me By My Brother Has Been Hijacked By Nigeria Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by GloriousGbola: 3:07pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:
I got a huge contract through my brother's company.

The contract is securely in my possession now and I've been fully paid. Initially, the plan was for my bro to supply me the materials

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewhere.

I've asked him to beat down his price but he's adamant. I plan on sidelining him if he doesn't do the needful.

Guys any thoughts on this?

your brothers company

not clear.

does your brother own the company or does he work there?
was your brother instrumental to your getting the contract?
is there possibility of future business or is this a one off?

in the nigerian landscape - the people who are instrumental or have power over your contract award expect their cut.
it is a cost of doing business and you have to think it through carefully while identifying the risk to you , your company rep and future opportunities.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Cleveraustine01(m): 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2023
Oga you be mumu. Your brother made you what you are and you can't petronise him. You be bad brother. If your brother didn't connect you how would you secure the contract. I feel like insulting you mother fucker.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Enemyofpeace: 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2023
Discuss other people's prices with him for him to have a change of heart, if he refuses. Go ahead and buy from others, but make sure you transfer some money to his account for you to show your appreciation
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by jahsharon: 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

The contract is securely in my possession now and I've been fully paid. Initially, the plan was for my bro to supply me the materials

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewhere.

I've asked him to beat down his price but he's adamant. I plan on sidelining him if he doesn't do the needful.

You and your brother are thieves. But you are not just a thief, you are a back stabber and a betrayer, you will end the same way Judas ended. You must have come from a terrible family for you and your brother to both be rogues
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by PAWG(m): 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Tell him plainly that you’ve got a better deal, if he doesn’t shape up, let him ship out
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Chrislaws: 3:09pm On Jan 17, 2023
Poster, if you are making a profit, then go ahead and buy from your bro, however, if buying from him only makes you break even or run at a loss best make him understand why he needs to be reasonable with the price.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Germi9: 3:10pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Bro carry me along
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by AYNL: 3:13pm On Jan 17, 2023
that's not fair on his side

at the same time, who knows if he's just trying to tempt you

after buying at your brother's prices, if you're still gonna hold some reasonable profit, buy and forget

if not, tell him how much you're given for the contract, and how his quotations is gonna affect the contract and your own profit

like one Yoruba adage

a kii ba eyan tan, ka fa ni itan ya
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by leofab(f): 3:17pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

I have shown him quotations.. but he insists he didn't even buy them at that price.
And he's the silent type.. he won't push it but I know he'll be very hurt.

I don't see this ending well either way.
he might have someone else who can do the contract cheaper but he chose to tag you along.. Or you think you see the best guy for the contract ?
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by ford101: 3:18pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

That's deep. But this is business and I believe he and every other business man, made their money this way, doing market survey and comparing prices.
I really wish it was someone else and not my brother... I wouldn't have hesitated.
remember he is ur older brother.the more you delay to buy from him,he ll understand the joke.so be fast and buy from him eals even if u run around finish and still buy from him he ll still understand that you are an ungrateful basterd for coming to ask people about how to pay back ur own brothers Kindness.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Superwave16320: 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2023
Tell him the prices you got n if he is still adamant you decide if you go on without buying from him n understand the risk of him not helping in sourcing other contract for you. Life is that simple.

If he is fetching u such contract frequently you might have to continue with him till you are able to source on your own.

kenedyx:

He sells the materials. There was no prior agreement of sorts ..just that naturally it's expected that I buy from him since he sells it.

But the honest truth is that I got a hold of his supplier and even other suppliers too.. the difference is just too much to ignore.

grin @ bolded
I get that, but should I be cheated by my own bro?
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by rickleye: 3:23pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Show him the quote and ask him if he can beat the prices. If he can't then move on. Remember the I word - Integrity
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by chukkystar(m): 3:27pm On Jan 17, 2023
It purely depends on how You view Business. Personally, He gave You the contract it's possible more will come through him. Do Your calculations if You still make gain after his supplies, do it. Relationship is important but not at your own detriment so it's all about perspective
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by nizelgirl(f): 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2023
My advice for you is, buy some from him and buy some from others for peace to reign.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by swazpedro(m): 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2023
Buy some from him and some from other suppliers
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Kano4tot2: 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2023
Wawelexy:
If after buying from him you still have something reasonable to hold on to as profits, I would advice you just patronise him, cos he might still be the door to a breakthrough contract, but if you spoil the relationship cos of little money, you might not regret it tho but might be loosing a lot.

Moreso, that company could refer you to others who your brother won't be your supplier by then anymore, except by choice.... So Just see it as you giving him some money and do the work perfectly... undecided

You better listen to this man or follow your instincts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Obidient4life3: 3:34pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Hmmm. So you also believe this will affect our relationship? But he's the one who chose not to sell. To me I feel like I'm losing money that I shouldn't..

You don't know the rules of engagement! You are greedy as well. You think he can't sabotage you in the contract or future contract?

What if he had requested rebate? Would you not pay it?
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by nnamdiosu(m): 3:37pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

But from him. Close eye and buy from him.
By next year, that difference won't mean anything. Don't let money cause a divide.

You called the contract huge right?
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by arantess: 3:37pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Tell him what you are quoted elsewhere and see if he reduce his price
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Iamntasaint: 3:37pm On Jan 17, 2023
yemmit90:

You should've adopted a good strategy the moment you see his bogus quotations and the cheaper ones from other source. He got you the contract, same way he is expecting you 100% to buy materials from him, don't jeopardise your relationship with his person because of today.

I will do this if in your shoes, the moment I see his quotations, I won't even say anything, I will just reduce what I need to buy, 60% from him and get the 40% from other source. He won't suspect anything, since I did not argue or protest his price.

What? U r smart
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by temiprinciple(m): 3:39pm On Jan 17, 2023
Why not buy up to 60% of the materials from him and buy 40% from other sellers
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by uche393: 3:41pm On Jan 17, 2023
buy 50% from him and get the others elsewhere (if he's your blood). if he isn't buy 25% from him.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kwaso2: 3:44pm On Jan 17, 2023
cooperate with your brother.

Dog said,'if you fall for me, i fall for you, play dey sweet'
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kwaso2: 3:45pm On Jan 17, 2023
cooperate with your brother.

Dog said,'if you fall for me, i fall for you, play dey sweet'
kenedyx:

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Eagba(m): 3:46pm On Jan 17, 2023
TheeDetective:
Hmmm; I Just dey laugh when I dey see how you dey reposnd to everyone. The ones wey agree with you, you go say NICE ONE. The ones wey no agree, you go GIVE EXPLANATION like say them no sabi.

Let me use your quote “I got a huge contract through my brother's company”.

It is the influence of your brother that made you get the contract in the first place. This tells me that your brother played his part well in getting you this contract. He could have supported someone else as well to secure the contract; but instead, your brother decided to support you and it worked out well in the end because you were able to secure the contract.

Agreed (try and negotiate); his prices are higher than other suppliers you have approached. Of course; going to the cheaper supplier is better as you said. But have you considered the quality of the materials? They might be cheaper with another supplier; but what about the quality? undecided Can you compare the quality of the materials of those suppliers with that of your brother’s? undecided

As a few have encouraged you; if after the amount you will use to buy the materials from your brother, you can still make a profit; then go and buy from your brother. If there is no profit; I will still say buy from your brother as this is your first dealing with your brother on securing contracts. If your brother sees that you still patronised him despite his higher prices, you don’t know what next he has in store for you.
Another contract coming your way might even be bigger than this one. Your brother knowing that you patronised him when you secured the first one, will not hesitate to help out again and use his influence again for you to secure the contract.

Don’t fail the test at your first hurdle in your business dealing with your brother. Don’t create a rift between you and your brother. In some instances in business dealings, you win some and you lose some as Ishilove has said grin. ENOUGH SAID.
you even forget to tell am say if any of the materials bad or spoil, he can easily replace it from his brother's ware. 1 being brother and it was expensive

Even in future, he can run some credit line through his brother's bizness

If he's the negotiating type, he's going to benefit it later by going to his brother's place and paying his own stated price regardless of what the brother is saying

Finally, if his child is sick, his brother might come through for him than outsiders
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by TK9680: 3:47pm On Jan 17, 2023
You got a HUGE contract through your brother.
So you are paying some form of commission to him?
If you are not buy the materials in lieu of the commission.
If you are paying the commission, respectfully ask him to reduce the price.

The most important thing is getting the NEXT contract by sustaining the RELATIONSHIP
At times you lose to gain
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Henix(m): 3:49pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

I think ur brother is just trying to test the level of brotherhood in u. If I were u, I will kill that spirit of greediness and patronize my brother. U couldn't have gotten the contract without his influence, but having helped u out, u now want to eat all. Don't eat today and forget tomorrow.

Meanwhile, don't forget that if u weren't his brother, that he is entitled to a certain percentage of the contract sum, for getting u the job

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Shugargal(f): 3:52pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

I pray I listen to you bros. Me set no trust myself.. especially as I believe I need this money more than him currently. He's my elder bro and he has a lot of other things going for him.

Bro, buy from him your brother, since he's your elder, don't allow money create problem between you guys at this time. No matter the little you make, manage it, another opportunity will come again. I don't wanna say the other things in my mind.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Enumerator(m): 3:53pm On Jan 17, 2023
Best advice!
Wawelexy:
If after buying from him you still have something reasonable to hold on to as profits, I would advice you just patronise him, cos he might still be the door to a breakthrough contract, but if you spoil the relationship cos of little money, you might not regret it tho but might be loosing a lot.

Moreso, that company could refer you to others who your brother won't be your supplier by then anymore, except by choice.... So Just see it as you giving him some money and do the work perfectly... undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by jimcaddy(m): 3:57pm On Jan 17, 2023
Since there was no prior agreement to how you will share the profit, he probably saw this as his own way to get his own cut out of the contract money by jacking up his prices. So just deal with him jare. At least no one loses.
kenedyx:

Hmmm. So you also believe this will affect our relationship? But he's the one who chose not to sell. To me I feel like I'm losing money that I shouldn't..
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Henix(m): 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2023
leofab:
he might have someone else who can do the contract cheaper but he chose to tag you along.. Or you think you see the best guy for the contract ?

Don't mind the greedy fellow. His brother is probably trying to test him, and he is already failing the test because of greediness
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by stigman(m): 4:01pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Buy half from your brother

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buying A Land With 600k Or Starting A Business? / Sade Okoya Praises 78 Year Old Billionaire Husband, Advises Ladies / Confusion As New Naira Note Shortage Takes Toll On Nigerians!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.