Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,343 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? (23751 Views)

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off / I Watched My Brother, Sani, Die - Dangote Tells Tinubu / $4800 Sent To Me By My Brother Has Been Hijacked By Nigeria Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:40pm On Jan 17, 2023
olalekan1:
Take my advice and thank me later.
Contact a third party to go and buy the materials from your brother. After that, show your brother the receipt to show that you actually purchased the materials from him.

Hahaha.. you're a bad guy. What if I tell you he actually sells cheaper than what he quoted for me to other buyers. I've witnessed it several times and that's why I was shocked by his refusal to beat down his price for me.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:41pm On Jan 17, 2023
Dprinceoj1:
Kindly buy from your brother,because he belief you can never by pass him in such kind of opportunity. Blood is thicker than water....just bless your brother ones.

You're right bros. I can put myself in his shoes now. It would pain me sef if na me..

It's all good.. I appreciate
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:46pm On Jan 17, 2023
GloriousGbola:

your brothers company

not clear.

does your brother own the company or does he work there?
was your brother instrumental to your getting the contract?
is there possibility of future business or is this a one off?

in the nigerian landscape - the people who are instrumental or have power over your contract award expect their cut.
it is a cost of doing business and you have to think it through carefully while identifying the risk to you , your company rep and future opportunities.

He owns the company.. so recently I've been venturing into his line.
Yes he got the connect for me. Though I was planning on a one-off thing, but you never can tell tomorrow something this good may just pop up again and I doubt I would resist.

Well, if you count it as an opportunity cost, I would totally agree with you. But he's worth it honestly.. he played his part excellently.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:50pm On Jan 17, 2023
Germi9:

Bro carry me along

We're still in the process of transporting materials to the site.. it would take a month and for actual work to begin.
So I don't know if you'd be available by then. If you would and stay in Lagos, then why not? Just keep in touch.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by space9880: 5:53pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:
I got a huge contract through my brother's company.

The contract is securely in my possession now and I've been fully paid. Initially, the plan was for my bro to supply me the materials

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewhere.

I've asked him to beat down his price but he's adamant. I plan on sidelining him if he doesn't do the needful.

Guys any thoughts on this?
Do with your brother
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:54pm On Jan 17, 2023
Henix:

I think ur brother is just trying to test the level of brotherhood in u. If I were u, I will kill that spirit of greediness and patronize my brother. U couldn't have gotten the contract without his influence, but having helped u out, u now want to eat all. Don't eat today and forget tomorrow.

Meanwhile, don't forget that if u weren't his brother, that he is entitled to a certain percentage of the contract sum, for getting u the job

I'm really buying into this line of thought as well. He could be testing me, who knows? Thanks man, I appreciate.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:57pm On Jan 17, 2023
Bonjovi13:

I worry for you.
Why did you reach out to his supplier?
Your brother may have sidelined some contractors who would have gladly accepted any deal he offered to get the contract.
He got you in. Now you are concerned with how much he will make from the supply. You were prolly mellow before you got paid. Now the money is in your hands, you can't eat and allow him eat.
You will learn that building and maintaining relationships is better than money. How long will the money you made last. You will want another supply. Its a small world and people are watching what you do.

How would I last in this business if I don't know all the suppliers? That was a very necessary move. If he knows I know his suppliers and still buy from him, the trust would be even stronger.

But I don't plan to make that a habit when I source my contacts myself.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Germi9: 5:58pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

We're still in the process of transporting materials to the site.. it would take a month and for actual work to begin.
So I don't know if you'd be available by then. If you would and stay in Lagos, then why not? Just keep in touch.
Okay,i just sent you an email notification from your profile,please check it
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 6:00pm On Jan 17, 2023
GboyegaD:

Is the price he is selling it to you the price he is selling it to others? Was he the one who gave you your price quotation for the contract?

Truly I've seen him sell cheaper than what he's giving me.. especially when he really needed the cash.

I already know the average prices of the materials, I gave the quotation for the contract myself.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 6:01pm On Jan 17, 2023
AdaAwka1:

If he had give the contract to someone else, u wouldn't have the opportunity you have now and he would still get his cut from that person.

True bro. He's deserves to make this supply.... and he'll get it.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 6:02pm On Jan 17, 2023
Emotionss:
[color=#006600][/color]

Op have you considered that the reason your brother is adamant with his price is because he is testing your loyalty ?

Has it occurred to you that your brother will probably refund some capital back to you at the end of the transaction ?

Don't allow greed and instant gratification blind you from seeing the bigger picture.

I never thought of it that way.. but I now believe this may very well be the case. Thanks, I appreciate this.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 6:03pm On Jan 17, 2023
Timmi:

You have been fully paid before supplying the product? What a huge contract indeed.

I've been fully paid for the supply. There's still other pending payments including workmanship.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Bonjovi13: 6:04pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

How would I last in this business if I don't know all the suppliers? That was a very necessary move. If he knows I know his suppliers and still buy from him, the trust would be even stronger.

But I don't plan to make that a habit when I source my contacts myself.

Chairman if you intend to last and prosper in that business,don't bite the finger that fed you.
Make your brother happy, if you won't take too much of a loss in this first instance.
Trust me, I'm talking from experience
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 6:05pm On Jan 17, 2023
Gospel2Day:

You have problem with money, if you are willing to forgo brotherhood because of cheap profit.
Why not advise your brother to change his supplier so he can sell at cheaper price?
Sometimes, we must choose to lose money in order to retain brotherliness.
You don't know what can happen to you tomorrow, and they will send your kids to live with him.
The seed you sow now will determine whether your children will suffer or enjoy at his hand/house.
Tell him that you're only buying from him simply because he is your brother and not because it is the best price available to you.
And that you may not patronize him next time.

He's aware of these prices I'm taking about, he's only after his own profit.. and rightly so since he got me the connect.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by dexterbam(m): 6:08pm On Jan 17, 2023
To me divide the supply into 3 parts give him 2 parts and sort the other one from the lesser supplier instead of total loss of profit
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by AFONAMARO: 6:23pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

That's deep. But this is business and I believe he and every other business man, made their money this way, doing market survey and comparing prices.
I really wish it was someone else and not my brother... I wouldn't have hesitated.

You mean, same way he did not hesitate to pass the contract to you?

While looking at what you stand to gain if you do not purchase from him, also remember what you'd have lost if he did not pass on the contract to you in the first place.

Often, in a bid to be smart, we shut our entry door believing that the exit is more valuable. Be wise!
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by lomprico(m): 6:33pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Well this is beyond business to nlanders. grin

If your bro can't reduce to the price where u saw it cheaper, go there n get it.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by money121(m): 6:48pm On Jan 17, 2023
Wawelexy:
If after buying from him you still have something reasonable to hold on to as profits, I would advice you just patronise him, cos he might still be the door to a breakthrough contract, but if you spoil the relationship cos of little money, you might not regret it tho but might be loosing a lot.

Moreso, that company could refer you to others who your brother won't be your supplier by then anymore, except by choice.... So Just see it as you giving him some money and do the work perfectly... undecided
Oil dey ur head

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by drightguy(m): 6:49pm On Jan 17, 2023
Make a sacrifice for the sake of tomorrow.

You will gain more than the difference in the quotation.

I am speaking from experience.

Good luck with your contract.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by altteemy: 6:51pm On Jan 17, 2023
@kenedyx, use these questions as a guide

Was your brother able to influence the deal?

Could your brother have used someone else as a go-between instead of you?

Would your brother use you again if you sideline him?

If the first two are yes, I believe you're the one being done a favour and based on question 3, you might shoot yourself in the foot.

As long as it is a deal you could not have gotten by your own power, it's better you pay your brother for the goods. I feel you've already angered it by quoting prices for him. There is an agreed price you would have supplied the goods. The only issue is the amount you could gain based on the sourcing.

Let go for the tomorrow deals.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by prophetfire: 7:04pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Actually thanks for this suggestion.

Better to buy it cheaper and share the profits with him. So it will be sort of even.

Great input.
Or buy 50% from him and the rest from others.
Don't leave your brother entirely out of it.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Nickxander11(m): 7:43pm On Jan 17, 2023
OP, ether you show him gratitude for paving the way for you, then get materials else where or you buy the materials at his price with the mindset(let him know) that his prices covers for both his selling price and gratitude.
I don't think there will be much difference between the 2 options and make sure you establish his selling price and gratitude separately as a basis for negotiation between you two incase of further contracts.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Afolashade00(f): 7:46pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

The contract is securely in my possession now and I've been fully paid. Initially, the plan was for my bro to supply me the materials

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewhere.

I've asked him to beat down his price but he's adamant. I plan on sidelining him if he doesn't do the needful.

Hmmm, person open door for you, you say him market too cost. What if your brother gave another person the contract? Please let always think deeply, buy from your brother and see this like you’re paying him for his kindness. Just open up to him to give you some discounts, stop showing him quotations here and there. He is your brother after all, if he can show you the way without hiding the project from you, he can also give you discount as a reasonable person. Do the needful and stop seeking for advise when you know the right thing to do. I’m sure if you involve your mum or dad, this is exactly what they will tell you .
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Tombilly(m): 8:05pm On Jan 17, 2023
I don't blame you actually, I blame your brother who trusted you blindly. This is a matter of honour. Since it's a huge contract, it means you'll see something from it at the end. Instead picking a quarrel with him over this, pay him his due let him supply. But next time there should be pre-agreement before commencement of business.
He has his reasons for bringing the contract to you. Just as you know other suppliers, he knows other contractors but he gave it to you still.
Honour and brotherhood above money.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Comradesylva: 8:44pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

You shouldn’t even be asking this question. He got you the contract 100% and he can still get you more in the future if things go well. Don’t let greed lead you into an action you will regret. Any decision you are taking, put the probability of future opportunities into serious consideration
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Lamasta(m): 9:28pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Buy from him that is one way you can help his business don't take the Money out to outsider don't be an ingrate moreover he helped got you the contract.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by saintruky(m): 9:37pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

He sells the materials. There was no prior agreement of sorts ..just that naturally it's expected that I buy from him since he sells it.

But the honest truth is that I got a hold of his supplier and even other suppliers too.. the difference is just too much to ignore.

grin @ bolded
I get that, but should I be cheated by my own bro?

I suggest u relate ur findings to ur brother, so he see reasons to reduce his price.. that way it becomes win win for u both..

Don't dare sideline him... Talk to him... He'd understand...
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by GboyegaD(m): 10:37pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Truly I've seen him sell cheaper than what he's giving me.. especially when he really needed the cash.

I already know the average prices of the materials, I gave the quotation for the contract myself.

In that case, ask him why he would want to sell it at a higher price and that is he thinking you wouldn't give him out of the proceeds? His response would guide how you should handle it. In the worst, you can take this as a lesson learned.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Gospel2Day: 10:42pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

He's aware of these prices I'm taking about, he's only after his own profit.. and rightly so since he got me the connect.
Just indulge him this time around so he would not say you are ungrateful. He should not have been so greedy, though. But make sure you do a good job so that the company can contact you and connect directly with you for subsequent contracts.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Alloyhardu(m): 11:40pm On Jan 17, 2023
If I were you I will just secure 40% of the material at his place and get the rest else where
kenedyx:

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by captainjoh(m): 12:08am On Jan 18, 2023
kenedyx:

Hmmm. So you also believe this will affect our relationship? But he's the one who chose not to sell. To me I feel like I'm losing money that I shouldn't..

Do you mean money he played a role in you getting? What if you're to soft him out for making you get the contract and you still have to buy the material?

He is your brother and this is your first business together but from him and if another contract comes up again tell him to beat down his price or you will get another vendor.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by chigoizie7(m): 1:50am On Jan 18, 2023
kenedyx:

He sells the materials. There was no prior agreement of sorts ..just that naturally it's expected that I buy from him since he sells it.

But the honest truth is that I got a hold of his supplier and even other suppliers too.. the difference is just too much to ignore.

grin @ bolded
I get that, but should I be cheated by my own bro?

So you went to his supplier? And you think he won’t want to make profit off of what the supplier sells to him? Btw you got the contract through his company ooh as you said. Some people sef.

Why not buy half from him and then half from the suppliers?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sade Okoya Praises 78 Year Old Billionaire Husband, Advises Ladies / Confusion As New Naira Note Shortage Takes Toll On Nigerians!! / Shawarma Business Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.