Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,637 members, 7,827,358 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? (23791 Views)

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off / I Watched My Brother, Sani, Die - Dangote Tells Tinubu / $4800 Sent To Me By My Brother Has Been Hijacked By Nigeria Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by stigman(m): 4:01pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:
I got a huge contract through my brother's company.

The contract is securely in my possession now and I've been fully paid. Initially, the plan was for my bro to supply me the materials

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewh

I've asked him to beat down his price but he's adamant. I plan on sidelining him if he doesn't do the needful.

Guys any thoughts on this?

Buy half from your brother
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Bonjovi13: 4:05pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Hmmm. So you also believe this will affect our relationship? But he's the one who chose not to sell. To me I feel like I'm losing money that I shouldn't..

I worry for you.
Why did you reach out to his supplier?
Your brother may have sidelined some contractors who would have gladly accepted any deal he offered to get the contract.
He got you in. Now you are concerned with how much he will make from the supply. You were prolly mellow before you got paid. Now the money is in your hands, you can't eat and allow him eat.
You will learn that building and maintaining relationships is better than money. How long will the money you made last. You will want another supply. Its a small world and people are watching what you do.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by phorget(m): 4:08pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

The contract is securely in my possession now and I've been fully paid. Initially, the plan was for my bro to supply me the materials

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewhere.

I've asked him to beat down his price but he's adamant. I plan on sidelining him if he doesn't do the needful.

Buy from your brother so as to keep the blood relationship and also buy from other vendors so as to still keep up some profits from the contract.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by gettingdol: 4:09pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

He sells the materials. There was no prior agreement of sorts ..just that naturally it's expected that I buy from him since he sells it.

But the honest truth is that I got a hold of his supplier and even other suppliers too.. the difference is just too much to ignore.

grin @ bolded
I get that, but should I be cheated by my own bro?

I will allow him supply time and maybe sideline him next time if he’s not willing to meet me at the middle of his price quotation
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Stringz1: 4:09pm On Jan 17, 2023
If he went above and beyond to secure the contract, don't be an ingrate because of money.
He will definitely link yo to others. However, if he didn't help you secure it, do what's best for you.
Wishing you the best.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by NoToPile: 4:10pm On Jan 17, 2023
EstateVerify:

So you got hold of his supplier... Hnm

Why not also get hold of his suppliers suppliers.

Or just go directly to the manufacturer...

The manufacturer also marked up, why not just produce yourself...

I forgot, the sellers of raw materials are too greedy.. You should just start producing your raw materials.

In Business, you focus on your own profit, and keep your eyes off other peoples own. The moment you want to have it all, or control other peoples profit, you lose focus and lose business.

This concept is supposed to come natural, because it is common sense. But those doomed to loss or destruction learn the hard way.

Buy from your brother or not, you will learn, and I hope you don't learn the hard way

grin grin grin lool at he would have gone to the suppliers suppliers.

The bolded is the pure truth.

If the OP is making his own reasonable profit he should let go shikena and buy from his bro. These things are not hard.

Focus on your profit, keep your eye out of other peoples own.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Maxxim: 4:10pm On Jan 17, 2023
Just look at yourself, you got a contract through em then you planned on sidelining, I think sometimes we have to play dumb just to make the windows of some opportunities available.
I've had engineers who get projects out for me on regular bases but sometimes dip into my workmanship, I just play dumb or better yet use low quality materials,
I think it's better to talk to em and make comparison with both materials prices you got in various places
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by mechanics(m): 4:10pm On Jan 17, 2023
Tell me that you will go elsewhere if he does not reduce the price.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by GboyegaD(m): 4:11pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

But the issue now is the quotation he's giving me is way higher than what I'm getting elsewhere.

Is the price he is selling it to you the price he is selling it to others? Was he the one who gave you your price quotation for the contract?
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by AdaAwka1: 4:18pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

He sells the materials. There was no prior agreement of sorts ..just that naturally it's expected that I buy from him since he sells it.

But the honest truth is that I got a hold of his supplier and even other suppliers too.. the difference is just too much to ignore.

grin @ bolded

How did you get the contract? Your answer should determine wat you do. Be careful cos of next time
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Coly2012(m): 4:18pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

. Relationship is all about give and take, buy some from him and the others from were it's cheaper. Let peace reign.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by AdaAwka1: 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

So he's not greedy for raising his prices on his own brother..I'm the greedy one now right? That's just great bro!

If he had give the contract to someone else, u wouldn't have the opportunity you have now and he would still get his cut from that person.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by AdaAwka1: 4:20pm On Jan 17, 2023
Stanweezy:
All i can smell here is greediness

OP if u patronize ur bro and still have gain, go ahead and buy from him

I can only suggest u go else where if at all the plus and minus nothing is left for u

As a business man, no be everyday I dey chop, some days i waste my own money on client but the day i go chop the client i go add all the money i wasted doing Mr. Good on his or her head and they will still come back to thank me for been a good man

You be correct person

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by AdaAwka1: 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

As in that's just my take bro.. it's business and very straightforward.

Just know u wont get any more contract from your brother after this.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Kavod: 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

grin @ bolded
MY OWN 50 CENTS.... YOU ARE JUST AN UNGRATEFUL BASTARD. IF I WAS YOUR BROTHER I WOULD NOT EVEN ENGAGE IN ANY SORTS OF ARGUMENT WITH YOU, KARMA IS A BIATCH WITH ALL SORTS OF STD'S. THIS IS THE REASON THE BLACKMAN IS BACKWARD. GREED.....
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Bromax: 4:24pm On Jan 17, 2023
Give him you own offer and as well tell what others are offering you, if he doesn't shift grounds then cut down his supply and get the rest from others.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Emotionss: 4:25pm On Jan 17, 2023
[color=#006600][/color]
kenedyx:

Hahaha... You're right though.
The last thing I want to do is ruin our relationship. I'll think about it some more.

Op have you considered that the reason your brother is adamant with his price is because he is testing your loyalty ?

Has it occurred to you that your brother will probably refund some capital back to you at the end of the transaction ?

Don't allow greed and instant gratification blind you from seeing the bigger picture.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by FaloNairaman: 4:25pm On Jan 17, 2023
Since the contract came through him, plus you have shown him the difference in price just buy from him.Money will come and go. Someone have to play the bigger one

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by zedegit: 4:25pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

grin @ bolded

It's not about being cheated. He's still your blood and his goodwill is important since he's part of the company.

Even if you use his link, question is if you'll still make profits out of it. If yes, use his supply.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by AdaAwka1: 4:27pm On Jan 17, 2023
ElPayaso:

Na only you don yarn reasonable thing... One thing I've learnt in business, there is no blood or friends... I learnt this the hard way... The OP bro is getting greedy and it's because he knew his brother got the contract through him

OP if your bro quotation is too much than others, patronise others... Do a wonderful job.. all this bullshit of "don't use today to spoil tomorrow" no dey work for business... If you do a good job, you'll be recommended for a better one by the company

He'll sell the materials high, still collect his share of the contract and yet that is not seen as greed?? If the OP brother had given the job to an outsider, he can't be acting like this

Adviser
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by zedegit: 4:28pm On Jan 17, 2023
sisisioge:

Show him your other quotes then so he can adjust himself accordingly. Meanwhile, you know his suppliers will naturally have cheaper rates than him cos he buys from them and need to markup to make profit....I hope it all works out well for you guys.

He didn't tell you how he got hold of the suppliers.
Could be an act of betrayal.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Unclesamo(m): 4:28pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Actually thanks for this suggestion.

Better to buy it cheaper and share the profits with him. So it will be sort of even.

Great input.

NOW YOU'VE SPOKEN WELL.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by linearity: 4:29pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

grin @ bolded

Why not be open with with, show him the quote you got from the other suppliers and you should not compare his quote with that of his supplier.

You got the job through him and got it merely because you are his brother and plus you have the skills. If you sideline him, next time I doubt if he will be contacting you.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Timmi: 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

You have been fully paid before supplying the product? What a huge contract indeed.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Gospel2Day: 4:44pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

Actually thanks for this suggestion.

Better to buy it cheaper and share the profits with him. So it will be sort of even.

Great input.

You have problem with money, if you are willing to forgo brotherhood because of cheap profit.
Why not advise your brother to change his supplier so he can sell at cheaper price?
Sometimes, we must choose to lose money in order to retain brotherliness.
You don't know what can happen to you tomorrow, and they will send your kids to live with him.
The seed you sow now will determine whether your children will suffer or enjoy at his hand/house.
Tell him that you're only buying from him simply because he is your brother and not because it is the best price available to you.
And that you may not patronize him next time.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by KillamanJoe: 5:04pm On Jan 17, 2023
Patronize your brother. If the prices he is giving you is higher than your quote to the company. Buy like 50percent from him and buy the rest somewhere else in order for you to get some profit. Also recommend your suppliers to him so that he can sell at better prices to other customers as well. Dont sideline your brother because of money. Nobody knows tomorrow. I remeber my neigbour back then. He quarelled with his brother because of his wife. Now him and his wife are dead and they left 3 kids behind. Na the same brother go still look after them. Anyway, think beyond profit margin.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by ayo2008: 5:04pm On Jan 17, 2023
kenedyx:

You have done the right thing. However, let him know if he refuses to beat down his own price, he will lose the contract. That is fair enough

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:17pm On Jan 17, 2023
Boyooosa:

Is he your sibling or just a bro...

If he's just a bro, compensate him with a token and move on with the procurement that will help you to deliver effectively and help u to save as much as possible.

But if he is your sib, call your mum or awon Ara Ile, tell them to advise him...if he's still adamant, treat him like a bro, that means he's not reasonable niyen....

Except you are the bad person here, it's possible you are dealing directly with the vendors that he will also buy from, which will means he's not going to see shi shi and you don't care...if that is the case, you are the wicked one here and you need to change your ways, if not, you are going to have shortage on that business las las, if not run on debt sef

He's sibling.
I get you bro, thanks.
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:18pm On Jan 17, 2023
emerged01:

Pay him what you can afford. Dont do the mistake of going somewhere else. Dont let me money get between you guys. If you do,the matter go be from generation to generation. E no go end.

Hahaha.. funny but true. Probably how generational fights starts.
Thanks bro, I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:21pm On Jan 17, 2023
lomprico:

You are a business man ain't you?

Well this is beyond business to nlanders. grin
Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by kenedyx: 5:22pm On Jan 17, 2023
olaeffect:

Hope we all can clearly see why most people don't help family members?
Would you be having this thoughts if the person that facilitated this contract for you was somebody you hardly knew?

You feel like losing money you say? Would you be making any money from this contract at all, if the contract was not facilitated by him in the first place?
Bro, please and please don't be greedy, N350k multiple times for a long time is better than one-off N1m, concentrate on whatever small you will make joyfully and press for another contract as soon as you complete this one.

All I see is greed on your own part. Remember your brother has the opportunity of facilitating more businesses in the future with or without you; please kill that evil greed within you now, now grin

You're right man, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Am I Wrong To Do This To My Brother? by Ubanz: 5:23pm On Jan 17, 2023
If it's your brother that paved the way for the job, let him know the cost comparisons as u mentionedallow but let him to have his way,.
If you don't,you may never get a job through him.
He may not be alone in the business,there maybe other interests in his office.
In such type of contracts you will kill the relationship if u show a sign of greed or that u too Sabi .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sade Okoya Praises 78 Year Old Billionaire Husband, Advises Ladies / Buying A Land With 600k Or Starting A Business? / Confusion As New Naira Note Shortage Takes Toll On Nigerians!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.