Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,095 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? (30949 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by generalsteve(m): 4:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
It's the sole responsibility of the landlord. He/she can however reach gentlemen agreement with the tenants to share the bill. It also depends on the agreement signed when the landlord gave out the apartment (as damages of such could be the sole responsibility of the tenants).
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by CaptainFM1: 4:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out

The landlord only need to buy it once. And once the tenant damage it, it's there duty to buy replacement pump.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by 18wheeler: 4:05pm On Jan 20, 2023
ZUBY77:
This question is a debate between poor and rich tenants.
Boss man. Long time
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Gmajor(m): 4:05pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

They are the ones using it. They either buy/repair it or stay without water.

Anything you use in this life will succumb to wear and tear no matter how carefully you use it.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 4:05pm On Jan 20, 2023
adekolaelect:
You will become a landlord tomorrow then the Tenant will use pumping machine faulty and you will go there to repair it for them even you will evacuate their soakaway for them. It is the right of landlord to provide the normal things like that for the Tenants but the Tenant need to continuing maintaining it.

Why are you displaying your ignorant to the general public?

No one is an island of knowledge but your own problem is that you are not ready to learn.

It is the duty of the landlord to provide water for the tenants since is within the agreement.

If along the lines the pumping machine got spoiled, it is the sole duty of the landlord to repair it.

You are judging base on the fact that the landlord doesn't stay with them I guess?

For the fact that the tenants are the ones using it doesn't mean they are to repair it.

The fact that they on the machine on behalf of the landlord as such it was the duty of the landlord they're doing simply because it affects them directly.

For better illustrations all this hostel builts do have pumping machines and the owners offen times employ securities to guide the house and also to on the water when there's light.

So if along the lines it got spoiled, who's to repair it? Certainly the landlord.

What I'm saying is that the landlord naturally supposed to get someone whom to be operating the water but for the fact that the tenants decided to on it doesn't make them liable for repairing it.

I talked as a landlord whom have been repairing is own more than 5 solid good years.

Hello, sorry who's to evacuate the soakaway?

Do you mean is the duty of the tenants to do so?

If yes, am sorry to ask you; How old are you please?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Basalt(m): 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
no one tamper with the machine, the machine got spoiled of it own, in taking rent there is what is call causion feel which is normally 5% of the total rentage, it cover the expenses of things like that.

LOL grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
That is not what Caution means in Germany.
Caution is deposited to your landlord as a form of collateral for you to stay in his house.
Which means any year you decide to leave his house, he will come and inspect everywhere and if anything damaged under your care, he will repair it and subtract the cost of the repair from your caution.
If you stain the walls of the house with oil or dirty legs, he will also repaint the room and subtract the total cost from your caution.

If you damaged something bigger than the caution deposited, then you must balance him up within a stipulated period before you completely move away from the apartment.
100% of the caution will only be given back to you when the house is in the same condition as it was before you moved in.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by rriiccaarrddoo(m): 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
I think is the duty of the landlord to fix it. When i rented an apartment, after paying for the apartment, the landlord added evacuation of waste, prepaid meter and caution fee to my money. Most time, waiting for the landlord might take a longer time, if u have the means, just fix it to save u from stress.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by GistFullGround: 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
Landlord
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by rajiedreez: 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
If you meet it in good condition, you'll have to fix it back
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by luluosas(m): 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
In my opinion, it's the landlord duty, as far rent is being paid. Now, if the roof is leaking, should the tenants be responsible?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Kharol1234: 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
Na my matter who na table down so
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by okine4real: 4:07pm On Jan 20, 2023
As a landlord, this is what I do, I charge my tenants heavy rent, if you want me the landlord do be fixing pumping machine and be replacing a spoilt pumping machine, then ready to better rent. You can't be paying 10kobo rent and expect the landlord to come and spend all the rent he collected in fixing issues for you guys. For example is shomolu room and parlor self contain is 800k, some places are paying 1M, so if as the landlord, you want me to be coming to fix pumping machine for the tenants, then after 800k rent, all tenants would pay 50k services charge

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by onatisi(m): 4:07pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

Unless it is stated in the contract that the repair and replacement of the pumping machine is the responsibility of the tenant ,if it isn't then it is the responsibility of the landlord to fix or replace any broken pumping machine
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by phemmyfour: 4:08pm On Jan 20, 2023
CaptainFM1:

The landlord only need to buy it once. And once the tenant damage it, it's there duty to buy replacement pump.

So, every and anything damaged in the house cannot be natural again... even if the house collapse, the tenant must rebuild it
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by onatisi(m): 4:11pm On Jan 20, 2023
luluosas:
In my opinion, it's the landlord duty, as far rent is being paid. Now, if the roof is leaking, should the tenants be responsible?
structural defect are the responsibility of the landlord like roof, walls and major structural but small things like door handle, sockets,switches etc are the responsibility ofbthe tenants once if he or she met it in good condition

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Mrkumareze(m): 4:11pm On Jan 20, 2023
Zonefree:

I doubt you've ever rented a house.

Infact, the guy's comment dey make me laugh..
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Islandboi(m): 4:11pm On Jan 20, 2023
They will both share the cost. Landlord will pay half and the tenants will do the same. I have witnessed this kind of scenario before.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by vickthourh(m): 4:12pm On Jan 20, 2023
It depends on the type of house Sha,and depends on the closeness to the landlord.if I am less than a year in the house I will let the landlord know,if he does not fix.we tenants will look for how to fix on our own
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Hemet: 4:12pm On Jan 20, 2023
The op didn't inform us about the terms and conditions captured in the tenancy agreement. Some landlords includes service charges and caution fees to the house rent especially on well built areas. The service charges most times takes care of things like the pumping machine and even sewage disposal but, if there is no service charge, it is the tenant that takes care of it. The pumping machine is a facility installed as a basic amenities in the property and should be taken care of by the tenants. Anything structural like the roof and the fence or so, if by any means gets bad, the landlord takes care of it.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by ppogba: 4:13pm On Jan 20, 2023
07kjb:
Responsible tenants repairs it while the idiotic ones keep hoping for the landlord

Very well said.

If you are responsible enough, you will save your children and wife the agony of climbing two storeyed building starecase with buckets of water on their heads and will not be comfortable with a stinking toilet due to lack of water after coming home by 11pm.
But, the idiotic tenant will wait for his landlord who might have retired to Ijebu or will be seeking opinions on Twitter and Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by gigabyte13: 4:13pm On Jan 20, 2023
If landlord increase rent now, una go dey shout blue murder, but
Una spoil machine wey landlord no follow una use, una come dey expect am to repair am for una....
Una smoke carton.....??

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Mrkumareze(m): 4:14pm On Jan 20, 2023
Na Tenant o, landlord can only come in when there's a problem with the borehole.
But a good, caring landlord should consider replacing a sumo that's above 3 years whenever it develops fault .
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by ppogba: 4:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
Mrkumareze:

Infact, the guy's comment dey make me laugh..

It should not make you laugh. There are many kids forming adult on this forum.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by IMASTEX: 4:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

If the fence equally falls down tenant should fix it then. Only broke landlord especially those that inherited it will shift maintenance to the occupants. The value of the apartment is tied to all inclusive package. Assuming the tenants leave won't he fix it. Lastly, the tenants can offer to fix, and in some cases the landlord will reimburse during rent renewal. In summary, it depends on the initial terms & conditions.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Tosdam(m): 4:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

the process where you fix that message yourself, you reseave the right to remove it when you are going

Lol!!! Na Ur name they the receipt wen they tey buy am…

But if you buy a complete new one… u have the right to take it along when going…
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jmoore(m): 4:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
eldoradoxx:
Can the landlord rent the house to a new tenant without a functional pumping machine? Anything that a landlord cannot rent his house without is his complete obligation to maintain. The machine belongs to the landlord, so he should keep it maintained.
You guys are funny. More than 95% of Nigerian homes do not have borehole

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lsoul: 4:16pm On Jan 20, 2023
As a landlord, talking from experience, tenants are wicked, just a few are nice,
Tenants will put on the pumping machine running all nights and it's burns and you expect the landlord to fix it? Nepa takes the light no tenant will switch off the pumping machine, but if it's their 50 inch smart TV, they will switch it off, lights comes could be high voltage or low voltage. These are the things that damage pumping machine

3 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Malawian(m): 4:16pm On Jan 20, 2023
They should go and fetch water from the well. Nonsense.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by missymide: 4:18pm On Jan 20, 2023
Landlord of course but repairs should be done by the tenants
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Samuel1402(m): 4:20pm On Jan 20, 2023
The responsibilities of the Landlord, and the responsibilities of the Tenant
All permanent structures in an apartment example THE WALL OF THE HOUSE, THE ROOF OF THE HOUSE, THE SOAK AWAY, THE FENCE, ETC Those part of the house that u have to take permission before u can make use or make change to them, are the responsibility of the landlord but the part of the building that u make use of without taken permission from anybody like a bulb, socket, lamp holder, ur apartment door, ur apartment window ur apartment WC, UR GATE, WATER PUMP ETC are tenants responsibilities
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:
Pumping machines especially the submersible type are buried underground.
If it spoils, it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix it.
If he doesn't, anytime the tenants are going, they reserve the right to remove it and leave his faulty one for him.
Any landlord wey wan show himself, his eyes will clear when the tenant is packing out.

I once had a landlord who showed himself and I cleared his eyes grin grin

I dey like tenants like you wey dey always feel like Nigerian version of Saddam Hussein.

You use facility for my apartment until e spoil, you come dey carry shoulders on top.

LMAO!
E be like e dey hungry you to sleep for cold dark cell with no window.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month / Can A Rented Apartment Contribute To The Downfall Or Growth Of A Tenant? / Fence Building Section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.