Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,779 members, 7,831,509 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD (12181 Views)

Striking Doctors’ Salaries Withheld, Says NARD / More Doctors To Leave Nigeria As COVID-19 Gets Worse In USA / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 6:04am On Jan 22, 2023
AzizG550:

My parents didnt trained me well oooo...that why i turned out to be a such a Fool
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 6:05am On Jan 22, 2023
So sad!

Who is a resident doctor? What do they do and how can one become a resident doctor?

Find out in this blog post

https://porpulace.com.ng/who-is-a-resident-doctor-in-nigeria/

Happy reading.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by od501: 6:08am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They just game the Nigerian government.
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.

Normally, shame suppose catch cos of this rubbish you just posted lidis.

But then, I figured you are APC supporter. I don't expect less!

Just imagine what a full grown adult just vomited?!

4 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by planetx: 6:09am On Jan 22, 2023
Any Nigerian doctor planning to practice in the US, should ask themselves if they are ready to start all over again at the age of 40 or 50. Because that is what the US will make you do start all over taking multiple difficult exams and applying for residency like a fresh 20 year old medical student, despite your qualifications and experience. So it is not as easy as threatening the government that 85% will leave.

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by yemmit90: 6:10am On Jan 22, 2023
Although doctors are not well paid and their working condition cannot be compare with those in Europe and Ameica, I will suggest government should enact a law that will mandate any trained doctor within Nigeria educational system to practice for at least 10 years before he/she will be eligible to seek employment in another system or country. This is the best way to make them appreciate or useful to a system that subsidise their training for them. Government too should try as much as possible to increase doctors pays and improve their working condition.

Medicine science is an highly expensive department, if not that government subsidise it heavily, many of these doctors won't be able to pay the tuition fee, let alone other equipments needed for their practicals.

Virtually all graduates are underpaid in Nigeria, and alot of us are still coping one way or the other. Government is useless, but we should not allow our grievances to cause another grave problem in the future. If all competent doctors and nurses leaves, then what is the hope of a common man who need urgent medical attention. What is the usefulness of spending billions of tax payers money to train them and not useful to the same system?

8 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Beremx(f): 6:10am On Jan 22, 2023
Sad. 😭😭
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by brain54(m): 6:10am On Jan 22, 2023
Very soon we no go get doctors again for this country…

Only quarks!
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 6:13am On Jan 22, 2023
od501:

Normally, shame suppose catch cos of this rubbish you just posted lidis.

But then, I figured you are APC supporter. I don't expect less!

Just imagine what a full grown adult just vomited?!
For your mind now you have said something reasonable.
That i support whatever party hasnt taken away my right to have an opinion
Just like you have a right to your opinion....this is democracy and on a public forum. Im not one of those you Obidense can intimidate....i shouldnt hold the same opinion with you.....you be igbo i be yoruba and the hatred is mutual

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Kingspin(m): 6:15am On Jan 22, 2023
If you like vote sense again
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Ventura1: 6:17am On Jan 22, 2023
I think it is unfair actions by the Doctors, considering the fact that they enjoy subsidized training to become a medical practitioners. Their earnings is also not too poor considering the overall standard in Nigeria now.

That you see another family doing well doesn't mean you should disown yours.

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by InvertedHammer: 6:20am On Jan 22, 2023
/

Nigerians couldn't care less. Everyone thinks illness is not their portion until they or their loved ones end up being killed by incompetent doctors. Then they come online to wail. The level of selfishness in Nigeria is worse than corruption even though the latter is an offshoot of egoism.

/
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by erospecial: 6:22am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.
Govt should reduce the requirements to study health courses!
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 6:22am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:

its a way of ensuring enough doctors to subsidise medical education. Only for the doctors to get trained cheaply and then abandon their benefactor which are the Nigerian people.... Dont be deceived Doctors are highly paid.

Its simple. You want to practice in UK get trained there afterall its where you want to work. Let those who want to stay get trained using subsidy and contribute to the society

Sir, after being trained with subsidy, is there any guarantee of security for them?

I think security has gradually overtaken salary as one of the reasons doctors are leaving Nigeria at the moment.

There are stories you will not hear in the media of doctors being abused and harassed at work; of doctors being kidnapped and made to pay millions of Naira as ransom, many have to even borrow the money; some have lost their lives too.

If you were in their shoes, you will definitely do the same.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by yemmit90: 6:24am On Jan 22, 2023
Xchii:
The British contraption is gone, none of these corrupt presidential candidates can fix it. Yoruba Nation is the only way forward now!!!

God bless yous sir. No current Nigeria politicians can fix Nigeria with her obsolete British arrangements, likewise Yoruba or Biafra nations would not solve anything. We are better off as Country, all we needed at this junction is true federalism or regionalism.

Federal government has no business taking about 50% share of its allocation, the same way wasteful state governments has no business taking another 35%. Nigeria is a large populated country, untill we give local governments that are very close to people significant share of allocation, there won't be any development in Nigeria.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by afrodoc2: 6:25am On Jan 22, 2023
Ventura1:
I think it is unfair actions by the Doctors, considering the fact that they enjoy subsidized training to become a medical practitioners. Their earnings is also not too poor considering the overall standard in Nigeria now.

That you see another family doing well doesn't mean you should disown yours.

University education is subsidized for everybody in Nigeria and not only medical students. If you want to stop doctors from travelling abroad for greener pastures, then you had better ban everybody (engineers, bankers, IT professionals, lawyers) from travelling abroad too. We all benefitted from subsidized education so nobody should attempt this emotional blackmail.

6 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Mrpojj(m): 6:26am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:

its a way of ensuring enough doctors to subsidise medical education. Only for the doctors to get trained cheaply and then abandon their benefactor which are the Nigerian people.... Dont be deceived Doctors are highly paid.

Its simple. You want to practice in UK get trained there afterall its where you want to work. Let those who want to stay get trained using subsidy and contribute to the society
Paid how much?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by barbstee(m): 6:26am On Jan 22, 2023
And many of them actually studied the course for almost free

Will they have been able to study medicine abroad with the same fees they used without scholarship?

But all they are after now is money, money and money. I'm not saying they shouldn't be well taken care of . But they should also remember that this same country made them who they are.

But an average Nigerian isn't patriotic

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Sweetvie: 6:27am On Jan 22, 2023
I'm not surprised.
With the way things are going on in Nigeria, everybody want to leave the country.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 6:29am On Jan 22, 2023
planetx:
Any Nigerian doctor planning to practice in the US, should ask themselves if they are ready to start all over again at the age of 40 or 50. Because that is what the US will make you do start all over taking multiple difficult exams and applying for residency like a fresh 20 year old medical student, despite your qualifications and experience. So it is not as easy as threatening the government that 85% will leave.

That's the reality, Sir. They are not threatening the government. They are just raising an alarm.

Many doctors in their 40s have left too. What is holding some in their 50s from leaving is some personal commitments here and there.

Go to our teaching hospitals, we don't have enough resident doctors anymore. The few left are being overworked to the detriment of their health; they also communicate with their colleagues who have left and who are encouraging them to join them to leave as well.

Hospitals now find it difficult to get new residents. Even most that come still leave for Saudi or UK within 1-2 years.

Nigerian health care system is really in a crisis.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by jrobbins: 6:29am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

Always been seeing it exactly this way.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 6:39am On Jan 22, 2023
yemmit90:
Although doctors are not well paid and their working condition cannot be compare with those in Europe and Ameica, I will suggest government should enact a law that will mandate any trained doctor within Nigeria educational system to practice for at least 10 years before he/she will be eligible to seek employment in another system or country. This is the best way to make they appreciate or useful to a system that subsidise their training for them. Government too should try as much as possible to increase doctors pays and improve their working condition.

Medicine science is an highly expensive department, if not that government subsidise it heavily, many of these doctors won't be able to pay the tuition fee, let alone other equipments needed for ther practicals.

Virtually all graduates are underpaid in Nigeria, and alot of us are still coping one way or the other. Government is useless, but we should not allow our grievances to cause another grave problem in the future. If all competent doctors and nurses leaves, then what is the hope of a common man who need urgent medical attention. What is the usefulness of spending billions of tax payers money to train them and not useful to the same system?

Will the government enact the same law for every other course, Sir? Why only for Medicine? Are other courses not subsidized as well.

In order of cost, medical students pay one of the highest fees in the Nigerian educational system. Then they have to buy textbooks worth tens of thousands of Naira.

Teachers will soon start leaving. Will you tell the government to hold them down too?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by PassingShot(m): 6:40am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
You make a whole lot of sense in just one post.

Too many unintelligent people on this forum and the Nigeria's social media space entirely.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Lumig: 6:40am On Jan 22, 2023
undecided
Let them go and let us have peace of mind. The world does not revolve around them alone. undecided
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by BigIyanga: 6:42am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
JAMB jammed your ambition to become a doctor.. sorry. Are you this mad at politrickians GMB, BAT, Atiku and co who are patriotic about using Naija hospitals??
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Splitmind: 6:43am On Jan 22, 2023
We need to start arresting doctors who make known their intentions to leave. This unpatriotic and foolish attitude must be stopped immediately!
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 6:44am On Jan 22, 2023
Porpulace:

There are stories you will not hear in the media of doctors being abused and harassed at work; of doctors being kidnapped and made to pay millions of Naira as ransom, many have to even borrow the money; some have lost their lives too.

And all these is happening to ONLY doctors?
Its called Job hazards and everyworker is exposed to it......its even there in those advanced countries too....
The point is government has done a lot with subsidizing medicine so that many people can get trained and become doctors and play their role in the society.
The best equipped and staffed hospitals in Nigeria still remains public hospitals like UCH ibadan UNTH enugu ABUTH zaria.
Yes its not enough but if doctors keep gaming the system how will governments aims of training more doctors be met.
If i were president....once you got subsidized medical education you must work at leat 10 years for government.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Oritna94(m): 6:45am On Jan 22, 2023
When I was in naija, the frustration was unbearable. My blood pressure was shooting up because of issues everywhere. Your salary is not enough to take care of your family, insecurity even at work. You pay from your pocket to assist patients all the time. Simple basic facilities to work with are not available. As simple as examining gloves. In the Accident and emergency department, no simple basic defibrillator. So if a patient comes in cardiac arrest na to the look am till he packs. What kind of practice is that for goodness sake. It is so frustrating. I thank God I Japa. At least my blood pressure has normalised. I can take care of my family. I miss home but it is what it is.

11 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 6:45am On Jan 22, 2023
barbstee:
And many of them actually studied the course for almost free

Will they have been able to study medicine abroad with the same fees they used without scholarship?

But all they are after now is money, money and money. I'm not saying they shouldn't be well taken care of . But they should also remember that this same country made them who they are.

But an average Nigerian isn't patriotic

In state and private universities in Nigeria, medical students pay 400,000 and above as tuition alone, not to add other costs. Hostel is not free, feeding is not free, transport is not free, textbooks are not free. It takes millions to support such a student for the entire 6 years or more they spend in medical school.

What is the minimum wage in Nigeria, Sir? How do you think these ones are able to afford this training?

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Gwan2(m): 6:45am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

I reason in same vein with you….The government lack foresight and sustainability. Any largesse of such by the government should be tight to a bond agreement signed by both parties. Either, the medical student live and serve the country for a given period of the bond agreement or the student pays an unsubsidised medical fees and fly to wherever

The way these countries are issuing licence to medical personnel without in-depth additional training especially UK, very soon their medical sector will be in ruin, because is same third world medical personnel with same third world mentality that ran away from their third world countries. Infact, currently, public health in UK is gradually going down the drain.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Aldol: 6:46am On Jan 22, 2023
All these people japaing abroad should know that there will be a time when they will wish they are in Nigeria. All those countries they are running to are on self destruct. A virus may spill out ( resident evil comes to mind) , a nuclear war may happen etc. Corona epidemic is just a tip of the iceberg
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by bayelsaowei(m): 6:48am On Jan 22, 2023
addexx:

You just dey cap like village goat. With a population of over 200m in the poverty capital of the world with increasing shortage of health workers , you still expect medical education not to be subsidized. The way you compare our education with that of stable economies with good education and health infrastructure is electrocuting. Check the facilities, equipment, manpower, standard of living, student welfare and quality of training, minimum wage, renumeration packages and gdp in these countries then you'll understand why medical education is expensive. Even at that their students have access to student loans to make things easy. Nothing of such is obtainable here.
Do you know the number of demons you have to fight to become a doctor. The only good thing I can say about our system here is that we have good educators and zealous students. Every other thing is management.
Now you become a doctor earning less than peanuts and working ungodly hours handling 200 patients a day in dead facilities with epileptic health-care system and a government that do not give a pig sh#t about your welfare and survival. On top of that dey decide to owe you for months.

Haba until dey die?. And you are there blaming doctors for leaving instead of facing the facilitators of our wrecked healthcare.

God how people reason these days embarassed cry undecided
don't mind that olodo
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Pharaohny: 6:48am On Jan 22, 2023
If you think you are crazy, just know there are people Clamouring for TINUBU you, ungrateful fellow πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ™„πŸ€£πŸ™„πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Belgium Introduces Compulsory Monkeypox Quarantine / Health Benefit Of Shea Butter (yoruba: Ori, Igbo: Okwuma) / Let's Help The Sick People On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.