Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,275 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD (12167 Views)

Striking Doctors’ Salaries Withheld, Says NARD / More Doctors To Leave Nigeria As COVID-19 Gets Worse In USA / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Apokalupsis: 9:08am On Jan 22, 2023
May God heal the souls of several bitter people on this thread

3 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 22, 2023
emapeteum:

The Drs are still better off than other professionals in Nigeria. These Drs migrating would end up regretting one day when the Nigerian economy bounces back. The migration of Drs to the west would get to its peak and the Drs would be paid peanuts with excess time at duty; coupled with litigation and high taxation.

Ah no, doctors will always be welcome when the Nigerian economy bounces back

Especially those doctors that have foreign skills and qualifications

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Ladygbola(f): 9:20am On Jan 22, 2023
I am a fresh graduate of medicine in 2019 but I said to myself the life I have watched my seniors live wouldn't be my portion. I love everything about Nigeria but I changed my mind when I knew everything wasn't just there. Our system operates in a way that we just want people to die for nothing. You don't work a Drs ass out and expect him to earn peanut at the end of the day. We all are so much interested in what this Dr who left the system but nobody is ready to ask what made the Dr Japa? I was once working in a tertiary hospital and what I saw there made me lose hope for a better Nigeria. A Dr would be placed on call for 31 days in a month everyday and this is something that is not obtainable anywhere in the world. We just keep quiet and do as if nothing is wrong with such kind of call setting. Hospital management board are not ready to employ enough hands and all we do is to blame the poor doctor who wants to survive as an ordinary citizen. The government says you are entitled to do 64 unit call but the person ends up doing 600 unit call. Nobody will see a means to be comfortable and decide to be patriotic when the sane government that rules you don't patronize the hospital you all are clamouring for doctors to stay behind. Spare me all this crap guys. You will definitely do the same thing if you guys where in the shoes of doctors. Don't come with emotional blackmail that the government used tax payers money because NURSES, LAWYERS, ENGINEERS, TEACHERS, AND POLITICAL SCIENTISTS are also leaving on their large numbers who same tax payers money was used to train them as well and any punishment that is metted on Drs must be across all fields because Drs are not the only people leaving in their large number. Life is all about competition and means of survival. Don't just come here and say trash to we Drs that have left the country because we left for our sanity. If you think Nigeria needs the help of Doctor's to stay it's not too late to pick jamb form and enter medicine alongside with your family members. Don't ever speak bad of any Nigerian doctor who have left the system because the country caused it.

We all should take a good look at this call rosters and see how these DOCTORS

Dr Akinwale,
Dr Balogun
Dr Edokwe
Dr Garanga
Dr Odoka

Are currently suffering for nothing doing 600 units call instead of 64 unit call and meaning they are to be a the hospital 247/31 days without being with their family. If this doesn't touch you as a Nigerian may evil befall you and your family.

are being suffered for nothing. Taking calls more than they ought not to have taken. They should have done 64 unit call but here they are taking 600units call for some peanut at the end. These Doctors will literally have no life of their own and they will be working under depression and duress. Don't speak ill of any Doctor who leaves the system.

3 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Laird(m): 9:23am On Jan 22, 2023
Hate and irrational assumptions won't change how things are. Everyone must not like You. Look out for yourselves
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by PJ123: 9:23am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They just game the Nigerian government.
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.

I got your point and to an extent you made a point. However, you must realize that Nigerian government has failed woefully. I have a couple friends as medical doctors who were top of their various classes in University who never wanted to leave Nigeria, but years of misrule and poor governance had made them to change their minds.
Buhari really took the country to years of retrogression. It's unfortunate.
You cannot blame anybody for seeking a safe and secured environment not necessarily higher pay but a decent environment.
I don't know how the problems on ground would be fixed, honestly I don't know because of too much complexities. Corruption is Nigeria and Nigeria is corruption. To kill one is to kill the other. That's why I keep wondering why people are shouting Tinubu because this man has no strength to confront the challenges on ground and he's surrounded by people that has profited from our endemic corruption and dead institutions.
The best belt for anyone is to run away, or looking for means to run away.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Ladygbola(f): 9:30am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.

I am a fresh graduate of medicine in 2019 but I said to myself the life I have watched my seniors live wouldn't be my portion. I love everything about Nigeria but I changed my mind when I knew everything wasn't just there. Our system operates in a way that we just want people to die for nothing. You don't work a Drs ass out and expect him to earn peanut at the end of the day. We all are so much interested in what this Dr who left the system but nobody is ready to ask what made the Dr Japa? I was once working in a tertiary hospital and what I saw there made me lose hope for a better Nigeria. A Dr would be placed on call for 31 days in a month everyday and this is something that is not obtainable anywhere in the world. We just keep quiet and do as if nothing is wrong with such kind of call setting. Hospital management board are not ready to employ enough hands and all we do is to blame the poor doctor who wants to survive as an ordinary citizen. The government says you are entitled to do 64 unit call but the person ends up doing 600 unit call. Nobody will see a means to be comfortable and decide to be patriotic when the sane government that rules you don't patronize the hospital you all are clamouring for doctors to stay behind. Spare me all this crap guys. You will definitely do the same thing if you guys where in the shoes of doctors. Don't come with emotional blackmail that the government used tax payers money because NURSES, LAWYERS, ENGINEERS, TEACHERS, AND POLITICAL SCIENTISTS are also leaving on their large numbers who same tax payers money was used to train them as well and any punishment that is metted on Drs must be across all fields because Drs are not the only people leaving in their large number. Life is all about competition and means of survival. Don't just come here and say trash to we Drs that have left the country because we left for our sanity. If you think Nigeria needs the help of Doctor's to stay it's not too late to pick jamb form and enter medicine alongside with your family members. Don't ever speak bad of any Nigerian doctor who have left the system because the country caused it.

We all should take a good look at these call rosters and see how these DOCTORS

Dr Akinwale,
Dr Balogun
Dr Edokwe
Dr Garanga
Dr Odoka

Are currently suffering for nothing doing 600 units call instead of 64 unit call and meaning they are to be a the hospital 247/31 days without being with their family. If this doesn't touch you as a Nigerian may evil befall you and your family.

They are being suffered for nothing. Taking calls more than they ought not to have taken. They should have done 64 unit call but here they are taking 600units call for some peanut at the end. These Doctors will literally have no life of their own and they will be working under depression and duress. Don't speak ill of any Doctor who leaves the system.

3 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Giraffe14: 9:34am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

Shameful! Why are your government officials not using same hospitals and doctors but prefer to travel outside?

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Dynamicboss: 9:40am On Jan 22, 2023
It's not doctors only. Tech experts are also leaving in drones. I wonder what will be left in Nigeria 5 years from now.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Vipro(m): 9:41am On Jan 22, 2023
AzizG550:

Ode
🤦😂
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nuzo1(m): 9:52am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

I agree 100% that the government owned medical schools in Nigeria are highly subsidized and cheap.

But why single out only medical schools and their graduates? All Governmennt schools in Nigeria are subsidized and cheap. Why don’t we also call out other professionals leaving the country?

That being said, the subsidized medical school fees are still there for anyone to tap into. That’s if it’s easy to go through a medical school in Nigeria.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by CallmeTrinity: 9:54am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

My guy you are truly very stupid indeed

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by addexx: 9:58am On Jan 22, 2023
Buddha3:

That guy is a proper dunce!

I read his comment and I just shook my head in disappointment as to how a young man can be so vacuous in the head.

What a chai grin He doesn't know Waris goin on.
Baba just had to comment cos others are commenting.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by webm: 10:01am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

In your little and stupid mind the government subsidized it for them. When they say half education is dangerous, you'd think it's a joke but this is the display and also the reason why a lot of Nigerians don't look beyond their ethnicity when rating governments.

Have you tried to find out what is the school fees for a medical student in UK and compare it with their minimum wage? When you do that, do same with Nigerian university fees and compare it with the minimum wage.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by DriveByKiller: 10:03am On Jan 22, 2023
They shouldn't be planning, they should leave. Must of them will end up as nurses and ordinary health workers abroad with many patients rejecting them.

We're waiting for some of these self-serving, greedy and unprofessional idiots with large egos to return back to Nigeria after some years.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by MoneyMustBMade(m): 10:05am On Jan 22, 2023
Why won't they leave?

Many have said that if Peter obi loose this election that they will jakpa coz the country go worse...

The country is already in mess
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by mvem(m): 10:15am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
so in all these you proffered no solution to this problem

Seems you don't understand the wave of doctors leaving Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by okuta007: 10:28am On Jan 22, 2023
Oleash:
Failures can't believe others succeeded. Hence you think everyone else do the job you do.

empty barrels like you make the loudest noise grin
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by sulaak(m): 10:30am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

You piece of shit why don't you ask your politicians to be patriotic.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by EnterpriseMan: 10:31am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
Shut up clown!! angry angry angry may suffer head kill you. All these retarded Tinubu supporters that suffer head is their middle name. Foolish slowpoke!! Patriotic your head, Open your mouth mention Nigeria and patriotic for the same paragraph. Fool angry angry angry angry
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Thomthom(m): 10:49am On Jan 22, 2023
Bizibi:
I just pray the next president won't be a dunce like the present one and his tribal and religious tribe in government.
I swear
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Bizibi(m): 10:52am On Jan 22, 2023
Thomthom:
I swear
it is annoying and painful....it is the first time I am seeing northerners Playing religion politics in federal level all because of the empty heads in aso villa.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 11:01am On Jan 22, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Do as sane countries do and raise the tax to gdp ratio and remove subsides on petrol and power...so that there would be more money for the medicos to stay.

Why the common man is against subsidy removal is because the money "saved" from it will still be squandered and won't be of benefit to anybody.

The truth is that if those trillions spent on subsidy annually are used to revamp our health and education sectors, as well as offer free healthcare and free tuition as well as scholarships, Nigeria would have gone far by now.

Unfortunately, when subsidy is removed, the same Mr. Okeke, whose state government is owing salary on top #30,000 minimum wage, will still buy a litre of fuel for #500 and still pay thousands of Naira or more from his pocket anytime he or any family member goes to the hospital.

This is one of the reasons why crime, drug trafficking and other vices thrive in Nigeria. These issues are not being addressed.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by yemmit90: 11:14am On Jan 22, 2023
clinician2x:

Government should not enact law that will stop them from oversea medical trip but use the funds to invest in our hospitals.

Govt should rather enact laws to stop people from going to where they will be appreciated.

A resident doctor here earns 250k a month but 6m a month in U.K.

You are a fool.

And you are a biggest fool. No one dispute the fact that our government need to do more as I clearly stated in the post you slowpoke quoted.

Go and compare the average training fees of a resident doctors in UK or US and that of Nigeria first before you compare salary. I will say it again, government spend alot on each doctor before they graduate from universities.

During my time in school, we were paying 4,500 as school fees, while medical students pays about 5,900. The difference was not upto 2000. They were giving the best hostels, labs and many other advantages on campus. Do you know how much it cost government to finance faculty of medicine in each university? Go and verify before you start spewing trash.

In as must as we want our government to do more for them, we should not always justify the trend because of that. If all doctors leave, it will only affect poor Nigerians and not political classes.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 11:17am On Jan 22, 2023
wacuc0:

Let's understand this, our medical professionals are not investing in there field in this country. In the US and UK they are rushing to are mostly investment made by Private individuals. Why is our own different.

List 10 private individuals that have actively invested in the health field in Nigeria?

That kind of money you are talking about cannot be made by an honest Nigerian doctor who works in a federal or state hospital.

This is why people like Ngige and Saraki ran to politics. It gives them more money than medical practice.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by yemmit90: 11:22am On Jan 22, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Do as sane countries do and raise the tax to gdp ratio and remove subsides on petrol and power...so that there would be more money for the medicos to stay.

You are 100% right. Unlike those quoting me up and down without considering the capacity of government to pay them the same amount as their colleagues oversee.

If doctors are paying 6 millions naira a month and government stopped subsidising the sector, how many of us can spent over $50k to acquire the training in our universities here? How many of us can pay $10,000 for a surgery we can easily get less than 200k here in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by clinician2x: 11:23am On Jan 22, 2023
yemmit90:

And you are a biggest fool. No one dispute the fact that our government need to do more as I clearly stated in the post you slowpoke quoted.

Go and compare the average training fees of a resident doctors in UK or US and that of Nigeria first before you compare salary. I will say it again, government spend alot on each doctor before they graduate from universities.

During my time in school, we were paying 4,500 as school fees, while medical students pays about 5,900. The difference was not upto 2000. They were giving the best hostels, labs and many other advantages on campus. Do you know how much it cost government to finance faculty of medicine in each university? Go and verify before you start spewing trash.

In as must as we want our government to do more for them, we should not always justify the trend because of that. If all doctors leave, it will only affect poor Nigerians and not political classes.

I say again, you are a fool.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 11:24am On Jan 22, 2023
okuta007:

let them leave, all this noise is so irritating to the eyes to read- as if leaving nigeria is a guarantee for success - let me tell you, 80% of them won’t even pass their certification exam in 10 years and will end up becoming biology avd physics teachers while trying each year to pass - i have seen many like that in California- dem think say with that their 11 BC medicine they studied in Nigerian Universities is enough to be recognized as a doctor in a place like USA? maybe in Malawi or Gabon - no developed society will recognize them as doctors when they step of the plane, except they go back to school spending years and pass the certification exams in those countries and after paper matter and unending bills and expense of living abroad drag them left and right ….. before they know what is happening - many will end up in professions far from medicine in the end -

Abroad is not Nigeria where you have the luxury to be a student - do nothing and be catered for as our parents did for us in Nigeria - here you work to pay bills as you go to school and only very few people will survive that lifestyle adjustment abroad because many will get frustrated and some may end up becoming mortuary attendant or package delivery agents just to pay the bills and eventually get tired of paying ihuge amount of money trying to get certified without success - the grass is always greener on the other side

in their eyes abroad is all milk and honey - they are all welcome to taste it, Amen

Most of them are going to UK and Saudi and as we speak, these countries are still rushing Nigerian doctors. Besides, in Medicine you learn everyday.

If you are in the USA, Sir, why are you against your brothers coming over?

Why don't you come back and endure in Nigeria with us, Sir? Were you born in the USA?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 11:29am On Jan 22, 2023
afrodoc2:

Government subsidized everybody's tertiary education but only doctors are slaves that must be forced to stay back and suffer while other Nigerians can leave the country.

Thank you Sir
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by yemmit90: 11:30am On Jan 22, 2023
Porpulace:

Will the government enact the same law for every other course, Sir? Why only for Medicine? Are other courses not subsidized as well.

In order of cost, medical students pay one of the highest fees in the Nigerian educational system. Then they have to buy textbooks worth tens of thousands of Naira.

Teachers will soon start leaving. Will you tell the government to hold them down too?

Government do to other courses as well but not as significant as medical departments. Go to any federal University, the difference in tuition fees between medical science students and others are just token. I gave an example of during my time in school in another post. It is still the same today, and they enjoy more facilities than other students on campus.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Greenscientist: 11:35am On Jan 22, 2023
socialmediaman:
Most of them want to leave but many are still saving for, prepping for, haven't passed, or procrastinating on, the PLAB test.

Me self wey never get admission wan leave
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 11:46am On Jan 22, 2023
emapeteum:

What the guy said is correct. Are Doctors the only ones facing an economic crisis? The most patriotic among them are the ones in the military
They got cheap education and they want to be treated like their western counterpart.

If Nigerian doctors are the ones that got cheap education, can we list all the other Nigerian professionals who got expensive education?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Greenscientist: 11:46am On Jan 22, 2023
yemmit90:
Although doctors are not well paid and their working condition cannot be compare with those in Europe and Ameica, I will suggest government should enact a law that will mandate any trained doctor within Nigeria educational system to practice for at least 10 years before he/she will be eligible to seek employment in another system or country. This is the best way to make they appreciate or useful to a system that subsidise their training for them. Government too should try as much as possible to increase doctors pays and improve their working condition.

Medicine science is an highly expensive department, if not that government subsidise it heavily, many of these doctors won't be able to pay the tuition fee, let alone other equipments needed for their practicals.

Virtually all graduates are underpaid in Nigeria, and alot of us are still coping one way or the other. Government is useless, but we should not allow our grievances to cause another grave problem in the future. If all competent doctors and nurses leaves, then what is the hope of a common man who need urgent medical attention. What is the usefulness of spending billions of tax payers money to train them and not useful to the same system?

This was in my mind before I read this topic. They should sign that they will serve the country after gaining admission. Why will a country breed you and then you go and use it somewhere else?

If you want to school in Nigeria you must serve the country and if you're not ready to practice in Nigeria go and study abroad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Coronavirus In Alimosho: LASG Dismisses Rumored Cases In Gowon Estate / COVID-19 Update For November 6 2020 In Nigeria / Adam's Desire! Does It Realy Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.