Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD (12143 Views)

Striking Doctors’ Salaries Withheld, Says NARD / More Doctors To Leave Nigeria As COVID-19 Gets Worse In USA / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by sharpwriter(m): 6:49am On Jan 22, 2023
yemmit90:

God bless yous sir. No current Nigeria politicians can fix Nigeria with her obsolete British arrangements, likewise Yoruba or Biafra nations would not solve anything. We are better off as Country, all we needed at this junction is true federalism or regionalism.

Federal government has no business taking about 50% share of its allocation, the same way wasteful state governments has no business taking another 35%. Nigeria is a large populated country, untill we give local governments that are very close to people significant share of allocation, there won't be any development in Nigeria.
You still love your chains continue... Shebi Yoruba and Biafra nations won't stop anything... Endure it very well and lament, after all black man get body for suffer suffer grin wink
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by OurBusinessIsPr(m): 6:50am On Jan 22, 2023
APC will destroy and bury you and bury your children if you make any piiim
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Pharaohny: 6:50am On Jan 22, 2023
Porpulace:

In state and private universities in Nigeria, medical students pay 400,000 and above as tuition alone, not to add other costs. Hostel is not free, feeding is not free, transport is not free, textbooks are not free. It takes millions to support such a student for the entire 6 years or more they spend in medical school.

What is the minimum wage in Nigeria, Sir? How do you think these ones are able to afford this training?

You have time πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ to educate the idiot πŸ€ͺ leave him to his Stupidity πŸ˜’, APC surporter aren't hard to locate.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by OurBusinessIsPr(m): 6:52am On Jan 22, 2023
PresidentAtiku:
Everyday I keep praying that this devilish party called APC shouldn’t complete the destruction of Nigeria.

I have never seen this much desire to leave Nigeria

These people below; think otherwise πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

They are lost ,but they shall all be recovered back inshallah

NAIRALAND RESIDENTIAL URCHINS:

lhordspy
FreeStuffsNG
Abdul05
drlateef
satan06
DevilAdvocate
I8Xtians
PandoraObi
heliues
omenkaLives
omenka
LeoDeKing
Ayamed
seunmsg
sarrki
Stuffs2002
TheChameleon
OsunOriginal
ATLIEN2027
Moh247
KingKO22
ItsTutsi
Zulum500
ASAPFERG
yarimo
JAMO84
JoshTim
TheNiceGuy
KingKO22
drlateef
Pakute

LegendHero
Banbutton

ipobarecriminals
Officialgarri
Cromagnon
BATified2023
Softmirror
ifihearam
Godispeace
SWATMan
Peepydelano
Madridguy
igbotormentor
Okealaaye
Mccullum
idealogical
Zulum500
burp18
Ireportlive
itsTutsi

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Pharaohny: 6:52am On Jan 22, 2023
Anyway the last person to leave this country 🀣☺️ should endeavour to switch off the light, close the door and drop the key with the neighbouring country .
As e dey all of us will leave except APC surporter unna never see anything..
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nobody: 6:53am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They just game the Nigerian government.
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.

It is a good point you make, but ye cannot graduate and then come and meet patient dying because 'we don't have this and we don't have that'..and a host of other stuff.

Plus subsidsied education is rubbish, seriously speaking. At the end you end up with outdated books, outdated equiipment, and bad housing for students.

I paid cheap fees for my medical school, and I experienced all that and more. And yes, I am still in Nigeria, but most of my colleagues are abroad.

Either you make things better by rasing taxes, running a diversified economy, making sure the 72% of people that are not paying taxes pay taxes, and removing subsides on petrol and power and channeling the funds to health and education, and also allowing hospitals to increase fees....or you just tell me we are poor, and we can agree that you get what you pay for.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nobody: 6:55am On Jan 22, 2023
yemmit90:
Although doctors are not well paid and their working condition cannot be compare with those in Europe and Ameica, I will suggest government should enact a law that will mandate any trained doctor within Nigeria educational system to practice for at least 10 years before he/she will be eligible to seek employment in another system or country. This is the best way to make they appreciate or useful to a system that subsidise their training for them. Government too should try as much as possible to increase doctors pays and improve their working condition.

Medicine science is an highly expensive department, if not that government subsidise it heavily, many of these doctors won't be able to pay the tuition fee, let alone other equipments needed for ther practicals.

Virtually all graduates are underpaid in Nigeria, and alot of us are still coping one way or the other. Government is useless, but we should not allow our grievances to cause another grave problem in the future. If all competent doctors and nurses leaves, then what is the hope of a common man who need urgent medical attention. What is the usefulness of spending billions of tax payers money to train them and not useful to the same system?

Do as sane countries do and raise the tax to gdp ratio and remove subsides on petrol and power...so that there would be more money for the medicos to stay.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 6:55am On Jan 22, 2023
BigIyanga:

JAMB jammed your ambition to become a doctor.. sorry. Are you this mad at politrickians GMB, BAT, Atiku and co who are patriotic about using Naija hospitals??

As if everybody will become a doctor.
I didnt want to be a doctor.
Should we also allow doctors too game us?

Should Doctors be compared to politicians that are known dirty thieving people....sad

Id rather be a con ductor than be a doctor that will be compared to a thieving politician.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nobody: 6:58am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:

As if everybody will become a doctor.
I didnt want to be a doctor.
Should we also allow doctors too game us?

Should Doctors be compared to politicians that are known dirty thieving people....sad

Id rather be a con ductor than be a doctor that will be compared to a thieving politician.

Meanwhile, if you want doctors to stay in Nigeria, provide us with the basic things needed to practice medicine well in this country.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by kurupt1: 6:58am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.

They should be patriotic to a country that doesn't care about their citizens?. ...... Your stupidity is special

4 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 7:00am On Jan 22, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Meanwhile, if you want doctors to stay in Nigeria, provide us with the basic things needed to practice medicine well in this country.
No
If you want to practice in USA or UK then go study medicine there if you can afford it.
If you want our subsidized medical education then be ready to give back to the society.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 7:03am On Jan 22, 2023
kurupt1:

They should be patriotic to a country that doesn't care about their citizens?. ...... Your stupidity is special
If the country doesn't care about its citizens how come it offers subsidized medical education?
Your foolishness is nauseating
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:

No
If you want to practice in USA or UK then go study medicine there if you can afford it.
If you want our subsidized medical education then be ready to give back to the society.

Then don't complain about bad hospitals in Nigeria, and lack of medical staff then.

Mind you, most of us want to stay really, but condtion chases us out.

At the end, watching children and adults die because 'you don't have this or that' can be very upsetting.

Better think about the big picture, the changes needed to make things better in Nigeria, so that no one japa...and stop all this emotional crying about 'go and study in the USA.' Most of us don't even want to go to the USA.

So, vote for a government that would remove subsides on petrol, raise the tax to gdp ratio, and by extension have cash to spend on healthcare in abundance, or stop complaining about people leaving ,and bad healthcare.

If you vote for such a government, it won't just benefit us doctors, it would benefit you even more.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Aldol: 7:04am On Jan 22, 2023
Very unpatriotic of them, they prefer money, money , money to serving their country. At this point you begin to appreciate the police. Oyinbo slaves
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nobody: 7:07am On Jan 22, 2023
Aldol:
Very unpatriotic of them, they prefer money, money , money to serving their country. At this point you begin to appreciate the police. Oyinbo slaves

Well, if you had an offer to move abroad, won't you do so?

Plus, you can make things better in Nigeria...by voting for a government that would make us more money...by taxing the 70% that do not pay tax, and removing subsides completely on petrol and power, and by allowing tertiary hospitals the right to charge their own fees.

Also, calling someone unpatriotic for moving abroad because he or she is paid poorly...well, at the end, people want better for themselves. Poeple have families to feed, and not just their nuclear family

Finally, it can take a toll watching patients die because 'ye do not have this or that'

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Reference(m): 7:10am On Jan 22, 2023
And they say 'we are doing well'. The systematic destruction of the remnants of the middle class has been unparalleled in the history of this country under this administration.

Very soon all that will be left here are hunters and prey as the hapless security agencies attest to.

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 7:14am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:

And all these is happening to ONLY doctors?
Its called Job hazards and everyworker is exposed to it......its even there in those advanced countries too....
The point is government has done a lot with subsidizing medicine so that many people can get trained and become doctors and play their role in the society.
The best equipped and staffed hospitals in Nigeria still remains public hospitals like UCH ibadan UNTH enugu ABUTH zaria.
Yes its not enough but if doctors keep gaming the system how will governments aims of training more doctors be met.
If i were president....once you got subsidized medical education you must work at leat 10 years for government.

It happens everywhere too.

It's also not only doctors that japa. Virtually every profession in Nigeria is affected.

We should be looking at workable solutions, not clamping down on those who are leaving.

How can the brain drain be turned to brain gain?

As for leaving the country, many more will still leave, no matter the outcome of next month's election.

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Aldol: 7:18am On Jan 22, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Well, if you had an offer to move abroad, won't you do so?

Plus, you can make things better in Nigeria...by voting for a government that would make us more money...by taxing the 70% that do not pay tax, and removing subsides completely on petrol and power, and by allowing tertiary hospitals the right to charge their own fees.

Also, calling someone unpatriotic for moving abroad because he or she is paid poorly...well, at the end, people want better for themselves. Poeple have families to feed, and not just their nuclear family

Finally, it can take a toll watching patients die because 'ye do not have this or that'
Yes I may go because Nigerian govt won't miss me, I will leave no vacuum since I didn't take any oath to save lives but I still prefer a working Nigeria than be Oyinbo slaves. But the way Nigerian doctors threaten the country with japaing always annoy me. That's unpatriotic, so because they feel they are indispensable they can threaten to leave , let them leave abeg make we hear word.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 22, 2023
Aldol:

Yes I may go because Nigerian govt won't miss me, I will leave no vacuum since I didn't take any oath to save lives but I still prefer a working Nigeria than be Oyinbo slaves. But the way Nigerian doctors threaten the country with japaing always annoy me. That's unpatriotic, so because they feel they are indispensable they can threaten to leave , let them leave abeg make we hear word.

Well, we are resorting to using threats because decades of nicely asking got us nowhere and the situation is despearate.

At least we are talking about it. Other fields just quietly leave.

3 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Guyman01: 7:23am On Jan 22, 2023
PresidentAtiku:
what if government decides to govern well? Why not ask for that rather than blaming the innocent doctors as if you have them scholarship
πŸ˜’πŸ˜πŸ˜’πŸ˜
Many state governments gave them scholarships and they quickly jump into the next flight abroad upon graduation
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Reference(m): 7:29am On Jan 22, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Do as sane countries do and raise the tax to gdp ratio and remove subsides on petrol and power...so that there would be more money for the medicos to stay.

Oga. Remove all the subsidies, tax the hell out of everyone, multiply government revenue a million times over, a bad system is a bad system. The money still will not create value or be utilized properly. All you will have done is to fatten the already fat cats, multiply government contractors and deepen corruption.

Right now this government is at liberty to source finances via it's much trumpeted borrowings. What have they spent the trillions on. That is what matters.

A system where the citizens do not decide how government spends and on what government spends is one that will remain damaged. It is not about volume but about values. And it starts by creating value in the citizens. A nation of people that know what they want and are UNIFIED in aspirations to the extent sentiment is dead.

Such a people will be feared by leadership and consulted in every matter including how and on what THEIR money is spent. Then you can be sure more revenue will mean a better outlook for all.

We have not started down this lane. We are still asleep. And will remain so until the last doctor gets a visa.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Bbright14: 7:29am On Jan 22, 2023
I need a beautiful nurse with beautiful mind so we can tour together only serious once oh
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by wacuc0: 7:35am On Jan 22, 2023
PresidentAtiku:
what if government decides to govern well? Why not ask for that rather than blaming the innocent doctors as if you have them scholarship
πŸ˜’πŸ˜πŸ˜’πŸ˜
Let's understand this, our medical professionals are not investing in there field in this country. In the US and UK they are rushing to are mostly investment made by Private individuals. Why is our own different.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by LordErrk: 7:39am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

Olodo. You think it's just the money? Let's even say it's because of the money, why do the government owe Doctors so much? These guys get family o and yet work themselves like donkeys, but to pay them is wahala. This is a new week. Don't start it by being an idxot

3 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Dcaliphate(m): 7:41am On Jan 22, 2023
BigSarah:
cheesy jokers change it to 85% of Nigerians are planning to leave Nigeria, the only thing keeping majority is lack of resources.

Election has consequences, destroy APC.

Vote Atiku say no to rookies and drug barons
Atiku is more of a rookie than any of the other two contestants
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Aldol: 7:41am On Jan 22, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Well, we are resorting to using threats because decades of nicely asking got us nowhere and the situation is despearate.

At least we are talking about it. Other fields just quietly leave.
What then should all the unemployed or grossly underemployed do then? Should they now carry arms against the populace just because the government failed to provide jobs for them. Yes agreed that doctors may not be paid as their colleagues in Usa, Uk and the likes. But you swore an oath to protect lives . That should come first, the citizens always sympathize with doctors and urge govt to up doctors pay. The issue with our Nigerian doctors is what I call long throat and that has becloud the patriotism in them.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Victorclean1: 7:44am On Jan 22, 2023
Why are doctors crying like this. It's not a new thing. Why the noise?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Nobody: 7:46am On Jan 22, 2023
addexx:

You just dey cap like village goat. With a population of over 200m in the poverty capital of the world with increasing shortage of health workers , you still expect medical education not to be subsidized. The way you compare our education with that of stable economies with good education and health infrastructure is electrocuting. Check the facilities, equipment, manpower, standard of living, student welfare and quality of training, minimum wage, renumeration packages and gdp in these countries then you'll understand why medical education is expensive. Even at that their students have access to student loans to make things easy. Nothing of such is obtainable here.
Do you know the number of demons you have to fight to become a doctor. The only good thing I can say about our system here is that we have good educators and zealous students. Every other thing is management.
Now you become a doctor earning less than peanuts and working ungodly hours handling 200 patients a day in dead facilities with epileptic health-care system and a government that does not give a pig sh#t about your welfare and survival. On top of that dey decide to owe you for months.

Haba until dey die?. And you are there blaming doctors for leaving instead of facing the facilitators of our wrecked healthcare.

God how people reason these days embarassed cry undecided

That guy is a proper dunce!

I read his comment and I just shook my head in disappointment as to how a young man can be so vacuous in the head.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by 30naira: 7:50am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

I have migrated to UK, come and beat me. Lol

5 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by lordprogress: 7:52am On Jan 22, 2023
erospecial:

Govt should reduce the requirements to study health courses!
Come again reduce as in how you mean allowing people with jamb score of 140 and 160 to be admitted into medical college or what.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by okuta007: 7:52am On Jan 22, 2023
socialmediaman:
Most of them want to leave but many are still saving for, prepping for, haven't passed, or procrastinating on, the PLAB test.

let them leave, all this noise is so irritating to the eyes to read- as if leaving nigeria is a guarantee for success - let me tell you, 80% of them won’t even pass their certification exam in 10 years and will end up becoming biology avd physics teachers while trying each year to pass - i have seen many like that in California- dem think say with that their 11 BC medicine they studied in Nigerian Universities is enough to be recognized as a doctor in a place like USA? maybe in Malawi or Gabon - no developed society will recognize them as doctors when they step of the plane, except they go back to school spending years and pass the certification exams in those countries and after paper matter and unending bills and expense of living abroad drag them left and right ….. before they know what is happening - many will end up in professions far from medicine in the end -

Abroad is not Nigeria where you have the luxury to be a student - do nothing and be catered for as our parents did for us in Nigeria - here you work to pay bills as you go to school and only very few people will survive that lifestyle adjustment abroad because many will get frustrated and some may end up becoming mortuary attendant or package delivery agents just to pay the bills and eventually get tired of paying ihuge amount of money trying to get certified without success - the grass is always greener on the other side

in their eyes abroad is all milk and honey - they are all welcome to taste it, Amen

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by clinician2x: 7:58am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

You're not even talking about how the government can stop over sea medical trip, use the money to develope our healthcare sector so it will benefit ur stupid self. U just de yarn dust.

You are a fool.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hollande Becomes First European Leader To Visit Ebola-hit Region / How Poor Diet Delays Pregnancy / Blackseed Successfully Cures Diabetes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.