Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD (12121 Views)

Striking Doctors’ Salaries Withheld, Says NARD / More Doctors To Leave Nigeria As COVID-19 Gets Worse In USA / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Marisa1: 3:10am On Jan 22, 2023
At least 85 per cent of Nigerian doctors are planning to leave the country to seek greener pastures

This is according to the data obtained from the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors.

The report also showed that the preferred countries for immigration intentions are the United Kingdom and the United States of America.

The NARD members are of House Officers, Registrars, Senior Registrars, and Medical Officers below the level of Principal Medical Officers.

Speaking with our correspondent, the President of the association, Dr Emeka, said if the government did not take steps to address the ongoing brain drain in the country, the situation will get worse in the health sector.

“When we are saying these things, it looks as if it’s a joke. Mobility of labour is acceptable anywhere and what the government should do is to address the root causes of the immigration of doctors, as long as they don’t address it, when they see better opportunities out there, they will want to go there.

“It’s about the choices people make about themselves when they think that the government is not taking care of them. The government needs to improve on the things we have highlighted to reduce the brain drain,” he said.

He noted that as of October 2022, there were only 10,000 resident doctors in the country.

“Five months after, and we don’t have any reason to suggest that there is a downward scale of doctors migrating, if anything should be, it should be an increment in the immigration because nothing essentially has changed in terms of the working condition, infrastructure, security and all that,” he added.

Going by this figure, it means that 8,500 resident doctors plan to leave the country.

The 2023 macroeconomic outlook report released by the Nigerian Economic Summit Group recently said that aside from the considerable health infrastructural gap, Nigeria has lost many medical professionals to brain drain, leading to personnel inadequacy in the health sector.

The report said, “One of the major factors inhibiting Nigeria’s economic development has been the brain drain and knowledge gap in human capital. Knowledge as a significant driver of economies of scale can be increased by investing in education and providing better health services, which is the nation’s human capital formation.

“An equipped labour force, a stable economic environment, a thriving private sector, and robust social welfare programmes are crucial in attaining Shared Prosperity in Nigeria.”

https://punchng.com/85-doctors-planning-to-leave-nigeria-says-nard/?amp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by socialmediaman: 3:30am On Jan 22, 2023
Most of them want to leave but many are still saving for, prepping for, haven't passed, or procrastinating on, the PLAB test.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Freshtruth(m): 3:32am On Jan 22, 2023
APC haa finish this country

I speak the truth

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by SmartPolician: 5:15am On Jan 22, 2023
Nigerian government will have to step up her game to deal with globalization or they stupidly destroy this British experiment ourselves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by robinso01(m): 5:26am On Jan 22, 2023
Nigerians will now be left with traditional doctor as it's going.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 5:40am On Jan 22, 2023
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They just game the Nigerian government.
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.

52 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by nairalee(m): 5:44am On Jan 22, 2023
I cannot forget when Chris Ngige (Minister of Labour) said they are free to go and that we have more than enough doctors in Nigeria. What has changed? This is what you get when you have an ineffective government with senseless officials

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by PresidentAtiku(m): 5:46am On Jan 22, 2023
Everyday I keep praying that this devilish party called APC shouldn’t complete the destruction of Nigeria.

I have never seen this much desire to leave Nigeria

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Enemyofpeace: 5:47am On Jan 22, 2023
Herbalists to the rescue

3 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by PresidentAtiku(m): 5:48am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.
what if government decides to govern well? Why not ask for that rather than blaming the innocent doctors as if you have them scholarship
😒😏😒😏

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by BigSarah(f): 5:48am On Jan 22, 2023
cheesy jokers change it to 85% of Nigerians are planning to leave Nigeria, the only thing keeping majority is lack of resources.

Election has consequences, destroy APC.

Vote Atiku say no to rookies and drug barons

5 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by oluadex99(m): 5:48am On Jan 22, 2023
Ok oo
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Enemyofpeace: 5:49am On Jan 22, 2023
PresidentAtiku:
Everyday I keep praying that this devilish party called APC shouldn’t complete the destruction of Nigeria.

I have never seen this much desire to leave Nigeria
some hediots are still clamouring for Tinubu, the pro max of Buhari

9 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by seanwilliam(m): 5:49am On Jan 22, 2023
Na to take my health serious before I fall sick

3 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by 18wheeler: 5:49am On Jan 22, 2023
At this rate, very soon we will be left with only traditional doctors to manage our healthcare system. Na wao 🙆🏿‍♀️

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Xchii: 5:49am On Jan 22, 2023
The British contraption is gone, none of these corrupt presidential candidates can fix it. Yoruba Nation is the only way forward now!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Bizibi(m): 5:50am On Jan 22, 2023
I just pray the next president won't be a dunce like the present one and his tribal and religious tribe in government.

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Ade3131: 5:50am On Jan 22, 2023
nairalee:
I cannot forget when Chris Ngige (Minister of Labour) said they are free to go and that we have more than enough doctors in Nigeria. What has changed? This is what you get when you have an ineffective government with senseless officials

I kid you not, that's the first thing that crossed my mind as I saw the headline.

5 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by 123readygo: 5:52am On Jan 22, 2023
Hmmmmm
I was shocked when my classmate called me last year to inform me that he has moved to Saudi Arabia. This is a man who’s doing well in federal medical center Asaba and has been a doctor for two decades.
If someone like him can ‘japa’ according this young generation, I believe no doctor is spared

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by AzizG550(m): 5:52am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

Ode

33 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by emmabest2000(m): 5:54am On Jan 22, 2023
Freshtruth:
APC haa finish this country

Kpatakpata

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by ican2020: 5:54am On Jan 22, 2023
Thanks to poor leadership

Meanwhile I am not a hospital freak and I hate going close to anywhere they call hospital

Jesus is taken care of my family and I

We tried to eat more of our local natural foods and avoid junk almost all the times

Stop slicing your vegetables at the market place, it’s dangerous and it kills. Watch your vegetables at home properly before slicing them and keep your self and your surroundings clean at all times

You want to live long, accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, not as the preachers want you to do but purely as the Bible says, cast all your worries to him and he will make everything beautiful in his own time

Eat right and love yourself & family, love Jesus Christ and your neighbors you will be healthy and will have no need for chemical agents

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Goodlady(f): 5:54am On Jan 22, 2023
Infact all should v left if they had their way.
I said I no dey enjoy Nigeria.
Nothing good is coming out. Only hear, hatred, hardship and bad economy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by aigbokiejohnson(m): 5:55am On Jan 22, 2023
This trend will continue with other skillful Nigerians until we get a government, not Bubu-ProMax as it's being canvassed for now.

4 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by smile11s(m): 5:56am On Jan 22, 2023
Hard times

Kitchen Built Inside Toilet In A Self-contained Apartment In Ibadan. God Abeg O

https://gist.am/q/kitchen-built-inside-toilet-in-a-self-contained-apartment-in-ibadan-god-abeg-o
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by jimetagambo: 5:57am On Jan 22, 2023
Lol
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by hemucology(m): 5:57am On Jan 22, 2023
Let them go, we babalawo we take good care of them grin grin grin grin grin grin grin angry angry
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by secnelly: 5:59am On Jan 22, 2023
One of APC/Buhari's achievements and Tinubu's achievement as APC leader is that they built a very large mall where only 🧐 APC Supporters and Urchins go to buy things at a very ridiculously cheap price.

They buy
1. fuel at 47 naira/liter
2. Dollar at 180/dollar,
3. Rice at 8000/bag.

Nairalanders, Kindly drag any Urchin you know to add the ones they buy very cheap please lets shock these #Obedients.

The neck-pressing from Nigerians is too much angry

4 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by addexx: 5:59am On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks

You just dey cap like village goat. With a population of over 200m in the poverty capital of the world with increasing shortage of health workers , you still expect medical education not to be subsidized. The way you compare our education with that of stable economies with good education and health infrastructure is electrocuting. Check the facilities, equipment, manpower, standard of living, student welfare and quality of training, minimum wage, renumeration packages and gdp in these countries then you'll understand why medical education is expensive. Even at that their students have access to student loans to make things easy. Nothing of such is obtainable here.
Do you know the number of demons you have to fight to become a doctor. The only good thing I can say about our system here is that we have good educators and zealous students. Every other thing is management.
Now you become a doctor earning less than peanuts and working ungodly hours handling 200 patients a day in dead facilities with epileptic health-care system and a government that does not give a pig sh#t about your welfare and survival. On top of that dey decide to owe you for months.

Haba until dey die?. And you are there blaming doctors for leaving instead of facing the facilitators of our wrecked healthcare.

God how people reason these days embarassed cry undecided

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by kingamaa(m): 6:00am On Jan 22, 2023
Fact

At this rate traditionalists will soon start running Nigerian hospitals

It is terrible

Waiting time in hospitals this days is unacceptably long and at the end you get to see one health care worker like that who tells you there's no doctor after paying extra.

It is well with the masses

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Blackfire(m): 6:03am On Jan 22, 2023
They are unpatriotic

This ypruba and igbo people always leaving the country... very bad
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 6:03am On Jan 22, 2023
PresidentAtiku:
what if government decides to govern well? Why not ask for that rather than blaming the innocent doctors as if you have them scholarship
😒😏😒😏

its a way of ensuring enough doctors to subsidise medical education. Only for the doctors to get trained cheaply and then abandon their benefactor which are the Nigerian people.... Dont be deceived Doctors are highly paid.

Its simple. You want to practice in UK get trained there afterall its where you want to work. Let those who want to stay get trained using subsidy and contribute to the society

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Need Herbal Treatment For Staphylococus Aureus / VAGINAL YEAST INFECTION A Problem To Most Female / Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.