Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,788 members, 7,831,548 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD (12183 Views)

Striking Doctors’ Salaries Withheld, Says NARD / More Doctors To Leave Nigeria As COVID-19 Gets Worse In USA / NMA, NARD Threaten To Withdraw Services Over Invitation Of Chinese Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by IbeOkehie: 4:34pm On Jan 22, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Oga, not only did i not study for almost free, I even paid higher fees than the average 4 year student self.

We had guaranteed accommodation, sure, but in return, we coughed out higher accommodation fee to the university. (Lol...the day one non-medical student found out how much I was paying in accommodation fee...e shock am!)

Also, we had to buy our textbooks, buy our equipment, buy stuff. (Most of the textbooks in the libraries were out of date, even then we managed use some of them, and anatomy for example never changes)

If you're a doctor graduated from a government university in Nigeria, your medical degree was basically free. All those fees you're talking about are CORRUPT impositions by University administrators and even at that, your degree was still basically FREE. All you have to do is compare the cost of medical education on the world market. Nigerian University students are basically robbing the country blind in the name of fake patriotism or high ideals, take your pick.

Why not tell us the TOTAL yearly fees and tuition you paid, let's see. By the way, the Nigeria University Commission says the yearly cost of training a university graduate in Nigeria is $3,000USD, that was about 10 years ago, so the figures are there for comparison. There's nothing private about it and there should be nothing SHOCKING either, you didn't kill anyone. Tell us let's see and compare. Did you pay up to $3K per year for your medical degree?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Bennycollins: 4:35pm On Jan 22, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They just game the Nigerian government.
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.
Do they fit in and perform in those countries? The answer is YES. I can't then fathom your hatred on the noble professionals.
Did you school abroad yourself?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by planetx: 4:40pm On Jan 22, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Actually, in USA, no.

I know a Nigerian medical doctor, even graduated from medical school in Nigeria, found her way to USA AFTER NYSC, (Her big sister works there, non-medical carreeer.)....and is now basically a consultant/attending...(I also know another one, but she went to medical school in the USA.)

Also starting medical school late (I saw your early comment) is par the course in the USA. (i once met some americans a few years after i graduated...who were surprised that I was a doctor that young already. Had to explain to them the difference between med school USA and Nigeria ).
I guess you miss the MIGHT part of my comment, you mentioned two examples out of the hundreds that couldn't pass the USMLE exams and get a residency spot.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by BigIyanga: 4:45pm On Jan 22, 2023
Splitmind:
We need to start arresting doctors who make known their intentions to leave. This unpatriotic and foolish attitude must be stopped immediately!
JAMB and Medical schools are still taking applicatants.. go and replace them…Oh I forgot, your brain has been blocked party’ sayo, loud and knavking
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by IbeOkehie: 5:40pm On Jan 22, 2023
BigIyanga:

JAMB and Medical schools are still taking applicatants.. go and replace them…Oh I forgot, your brain has been blocked party’ sayo, loud and knavking

Now this is interesting. I know of a Nigerian family here in the USA that sent 3 of their US born children to university in Nigeria - all of them did medicine in Nigeria and came back to the USA, now they're all practicing doctors. In Baltimore, Maryland USA, they're a well known Nigerian family there. That's a case of playing it smart for sure - grab the Nigerian subsidy money and re-jakpa.

I love my people. grin
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Porpulace: 5:45pm On Jan 22, 2023
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by BigIyanga: 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Now this is interesting. I know of a Nigerian family here in the USA that sent 3 of their US born children to university in Nigeria - all of them did medicine in Nigeria and came back to the USA, now they're all practicing doctors. In Baltimore, Maryland USA, they're a well known Nigerian family there. That's a case of playing it smart for sure - grab the Nigerian subsidy money and re-jakpa.

I love my people. grin
Did those Nigerians not pay in full for their studies in Naija? Why are you calling them unpatriotic? What stops you and your family from pursuing medicine?
Is Nigerian engineering education subsidized too… because Naija-produced engineers also travel to UK, UAE, Qatar, Oman, Saudi, Canada et al to practice? How come we’re not calling them unpatriotic?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by armadeo(m): 6:01pm On Jan 22, 2023
Aldol:

Yes I may go because Nigerian govt won't miss me, I will leave no vacuum since I didn't take any oath to save lives but I still prefer a working Nigeria than be Oyinbo slaves. But the way Nigerian doctors threaten the country with japaing always annoy me. That's unpatriotic, so because they feel they are indispensable they can threaten to leave , let them leave abeg make we hear word.

I think the association is crying out the individuals aren't threatening anyone or arguing. They're just leaving.

Those in charge of the group can see what is going on hence the alarm.

2 Likes

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by armadeo(m): 6:06pm On Jan 22, 2023
Aldol:

What then should all the unemployed or grossly underemployed do then? Should they now carry arms against the populace just because the government failed to provide jobs for them. Yes agreed that doctors may not be paid as their colleagues in Usa, Uk and the likes. But you swore an oath to protect lives . That should come first, the citizens always sympathize with doctors and urge govt to up doctors pay. The issue with our Nigerian doctors is what I call long throat and that has becloud the patriotism in them.

We can also find our way. This argument has baffled me for ages.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by IbeOkehie: 6:12pm On Jan 22, 2023
BigIyanga:

Did those Nigerians not pay in full for their studies in Naija? Why are you calling them unpatriotic? What stops you and your family from pursuing medicine?

I didn't call them anything. I said they were smart, they used the Nigerian system to get what they needed.

No, they didn't pay for their studies in full, they utilized Nigerian government subsidies and likely paid bribes to get admitted. I admire their dexterity, it's not easy.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by BigIyanga: 7:14pm On Jan 22, 2023
IbeOkehie:

I didn't call them anything. I said they were smart, they used the Nigerian system to get what they needed.

No, they didn't pay for their studies in full, they utilized Nigerian government subsidies and likely paid bribes to get admitted. I admire their dexterity, it's not easy.
Your feelings are not facts. Tell me anywhere in the US where govt doesn't subsidize education?
They paid full price for their education. You’re mixing up US education with Naija.
Paid bride for what? How?
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Ex0rrcist: 6:46am On Jan 23, 2023
Reference:
And they say 'we are doing well'. The systematic destruction of the remnants of the middle class has been unparalleled in the history of this country under this administration.

Very soon all that will be left here are hunters and prey as the hapless security agencies attest to.
Aptly said my brother, the middle class is being decimated. They want us all to be living from hand to mouth, so they can continue weaponising poverty.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 9:34am On Jan 23, 2023
Bennycollins:
Do they fit in and perform in those countries? The answer is YES. I can't then fathom your hatred on the noble professionals.
Did you school abroad yourself?

I dont hate them
I just love the poor people they are making go through sufferings more than them.
I keep saying Im not against people going abroad but doctors should stop gaming the system.
If yiu want to practice in the UK....them its only rational that you study in the environment you want to practice....its wickedness to enjoy subsidized medical education here and go to use it in a country where medical education is unaffordable.
Why did you think government subsidized medical education? Its so many people can afford it and then be useful to Nigeria....not Britain or America
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Bennycollins: 3:17pm On Jan 23, 2023
Rolings:

I dont hate them
I just love the poor people they are making go through sufferings more than them.
I keep saying Im not against people going abroad but doctors should stop gaming the system.
If yiu want to practice in the UK....them its only rational that you study in the environment you want to practice....its wickedness to enjoy subsidized medical education here and go to use it in a country where medical education is unaffordable.
Why did you think government subsidized medical education? Its so many people can afford it and then be useful to Nigeria....not Britain or America
Subsidized? l guess you don't know parents are now being made to pay as much as 2m just so their wards can be offered admissions into Med schools. I don't mean fees o, I mean bribe, even when you are qualified and if you don't pay you forfeit it to a less qualified candidate that can pay.
When one goes through all that, he should then not think about himself/herself because you love the poor? Some of these doctors are children of the poor .
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Rolings: 6:39am On Jan 24, 2023
Bennycollins:
Subsidized? l guess you don't know parents are now being made to pay as much as 2m just so their wards can be offered admissions into Med schools. I don't mean fees o, I mean bribe, even when you are qualified and if you don't pay you forfeit it to a less qualified candidate that can pay.
When one goes through all that, he should then not think about himself/herself because you love the poor? Some of these doctors are children of the poor .
Those paying 2 million to get their children admitted into Nigerian universities to study Medicine are either patriots that truly want their ward to be doctors that will contribute to the society or those that want to game the system.....they dont intend practising here...they just want to take advantage of the cheap education.....which they cant afford in the UK
Even after paying the 2million and thereafter pay
The tuition its still far cheaper to study in Nigeria than UK.
If you want to work in the UK....why not study there afterall the schools there are better equiped and staffed.

1 Like

Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Xchii: 2:45pm On Jan 25, 2023
yemmit90:

God bless yous sir. No current Nigeria politicians can fix Nigeria with her obsolete British arrangements, likewise Yoruba or Biafra nations would not solve anything. We are better off as Country, all we needed at this junction is true federalism or regionalism.

Federal government has no business taking about 50% share of its allocation, the same way wasteful state governments has no business taking another 35%. Nigeria is a large populated country, untill we give local governments that are very close to people significant share of allocation, there won't be any development in Nigeria.
not restructuring but total disintegration, restructuring won't solve shit!
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by yemmit90: 3:27pm On Jan 25, 2023
Xchii:
not restructuring but total disintegration, restructuring won't solve shit!

And after the said total disintegration, who and who will champion the courses of each nationality if not the same hopelessly corrupt elites/politicians?

We need to test the process first through Regionalisation or true federalism where each geo-political zone will be totally independent and pay royalty to federal government to manage national armies and foreign affairs. Regionalisation is a stepping stone to self determination or independent. You can't just wake up and demand for the country to break up without considering some issues attaching us collectively.

It is a recipe for disaster to start a new country with these set of Nigerians (including me and you), without making the current system work and produce better humans resources that will champion the courses of new nation.
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Thegamingorca(m): 11:39am On Jan 30, 2023
cheesy
okuta007:

let them leave, all this noise is so irritating to the eyes to read- as if leaving nigeria is a guarantee for success - let me tell you, 80% of them won’t even pass their certification exam in 10 years and will end up becoming biology avd physics teachers while trying each year to pass - i have seen many like that in California- dem think say with that their 11 BC medicine they studied in Nigerian Universities is enough to be recognized as a doctor in a place like USA? maybe in Malawi or Gabon - no developed society will recognize them as doctors when they step of the plane, except they go back to school spending years and pass the certification exams in those countries and after paper matter and unending bills and expense of living abroad drag them left and right ….. before they know what is happening - many will end up in professions far from medicine in the end -

Abroad is not Nigeria where you have the luxury to be a student - do nothing and be catered for as our parents did for us in Nigeria - here you work to pay bills as you go to school and only very few people will survive that lifestyle adjustment abroad because many will get frustrated and some may end up becoming mortuary attendant or package delivery agents just to pay the bills and eventually get tired of paying ihuge amount of money trying to get certified without success - the grass is always greener on the other side

in their eyes abroad is all milk and honey - they are all welcome to taste it, Amen
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Thegamingorca(m): 11:48am On Jan 30, 2023
Rolings:
Ungrateful lots
Unpatriotic folks
They just game the Nigerian government.
They got cheap medical education and will rather use it for another country.....why didnt they go to study the medidcine in europe or america....they wont because they cant afford it.
The didnt complain about ill equiped medical schools and teaching hospitals while training only to jump on the next plane to countries where they couldnt afford to study Medicine.....
Before anyone says rubbish....... doctors that want to practice in USA should go there for their studies if they can afford it not take advantage of the subsidized medical education in Nigeria and thereafter run away......Government subsidized it so many people can be trained to be useful to the country.

Lmao
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Thegamingorca(m): 11:49am On Jan 30, 2023
nairalee:
I cannot forget when Chris Ngige (Minister of Labour) said they are free to go and that we have more than enough doctors in Nigeria. What has changed? This is what you get when you have an ineffective government with senseless officials

Hope you know he is also a medical doctor. Atleast he is one person that will not japa
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by Thegamingorca(m): 11:50am On Jan 30, 2023
PresidentAtiku:
Everyday I keep praying that this devilish party called APC shouldn’t complete the destruction of Nigeria.

I have never seen this much desire to leave Nigeria

The desire to japa and the euphoria of haven attained that status as a Nigerian is second to none
Re: 85% Doctors Planning To Leave Nigeria, Says NARD by phineas: 1:05pm On Jan 31, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

grin grin grin
That's very idiotic
That's how invalid (disabled in the brain) behaves

That's a true story in 2022 management will be shouting bran drain while not employing in a country with many unemployed drs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Belgium Introduces Compulsory Monkeypox Quarantine / Let's Help The Sick People On Nairaland / Health Benefit Of Shea Butter (yoruba: Ori, Igbo: Okwuma)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.