Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. (21755 Views)

Should I Quit My Job While I Haven't Got Another One? / Is Xyples LLC Another Job Scam / Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
1. No benefits except HMO
2. Only your salary
3. Performance commission not paid
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

My new company doesn't have enough money to pay lawyer we consulted.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do πŸ˜‚.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

I wish I didn't help her to get the job.

Please help.

That non- competition clause will fail in court. Are they not informed?

The position of the law on this is quite interesting and I may do a topic on this next week if I am less busy. It’s been long we did something interesting on labour and employment law.

So they want you to be jobless for the next 3 years abi? They are not serious.

Get a lawyer to counter claim and defend you in court. Hope they commenced the action at the industrial court? If not, file a notice of preliminary objection sharp sharp.

Just get a lawyer that knows what to do and you are safe. This case will likely fail.

Na these kind cases dey sweet to handle.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by gaby(m): 3:11pm On Jan 27, 2023
Find a good lawyer on a probono basis and cash out from the roguish Lebanese slave-drivers.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by CaptainFM1: 3:12pm On Jan 27, 2023
If I were you, I won't bring a case already in court to public fora.

Just get a good lawyer to advice you.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by kirchofff(m): 3:12pm On Jan 27, 2023
This is nuts. Find a legal person first. That wouldn't charge a lot to look at the documents. I can recommend one if you don't mind. Hit my dms
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Toay(m): 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2023
The clause of not working in a similar field is against the Nigerian labor law and the constitution; hence it cannot hold in a court of law. That is even if the clause was included in your contract

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Jokkarm2: 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2023
FuckTheMod:
Because,You're a thief

Why will you say a thing like this?
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Pastev1(m): 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2023
No fear my brother, locate Human Wright Activist, and sell your matter to them, then go home and sleep, God will fight for you through them.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Regex: 3:14pm On Jan 27, 2023
Na Nigerians deh do themselves. How can every Nigerian have the spirit of oppression? This is oppression and slavery in the highest order. Why would they say you signed a contract that will make you not work in that field for 3yrs did they pay your school fees? Baba take this to human rights, AMCON, anywhere.... And sue them for damages. What nonsense.

8 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 3:14pm On Jan 27, 2023
yemzzy02:
It should be more than 3 years already now. You joined 28 November, 2018. If you walked 7 months which means you must have left in June, 2019. By June, 2022 it will be 3 years already. So if you are getting a job in 2023, then there is no claim.

I left previous company March 10, 2022 and I got another job October 2022. They didn't say 3 years AFTER TERMINATION.

I joined previous company 2018. This what I think my lawyer will use to fight them to win them.

3 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Aguogba(m): 3:14pm On Jan 27, 2023
Doubleoh7:
Always always scrutinise any document before you sign. If possible, run it through a legal person. One of the documents you shared had a non-competition clause and its provisions are well spelt out. Are they within their rights to sue you for breach, I believe so. It is now left for the courts to determine if such provision is enforceable under the law and does not amount to trampling on your rights as an individual
It's invalid since they did not specify "after resignation or termination of employment" , so they have NO CASE against OP.

6 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by CaptainFM1: 3:17pm On Jan 27, 2023
picaso313:
I believe there could be acouple of law firm u can approach on this issue and they will help take uo the case then get paid ones excuted to your favour... Mea nwhile how can some you help back stab you, have you called you refered her to you

The help is only doing the duties of his office! See it as the HR suing him and not his friend!

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by switosman(m): 3:17pm On Jan 27, 2023
It's like you don't know any human right SAN close to you. Just walk into any human right lawyer better a SAN and show him these documents. Then leave the fight to them. Something similar happened in PHC, some mechanic guys that used to work for them Lebanese auto dealer were arrested; and luckily for the mechanic guys a lawyer client came to repair his car and could not find them. He then took up their case with the Lebanese and won it for the guys and also got them damages.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Crieff(m): 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
Have you found a lawyer?

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Unclesamo(m): 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

I left previous company March 10, 2022 and I got another job October 2022. They didn't say 3 years AFTER TERMINATION.

I joined previous company 2018. This what I think my lawyer will use to fight them to win them.

You don't need much fund . Get a lawyer to look into it. Your best bet would be human right Activists. Contact them on Twitter or visit a close office.

Most times, they tend to use your lawyer against you through bribery...Human right would help you counter sue them.

Nah easy case, don't fret.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Aguogba(m): 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
2. Only your salary
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

Please help.
OP, pursue this case, you'll end up getting paid damages by your former company which will take care of all legal expenses and change your life as well. The document they claimed that you signed has not stated " after resignation or termination of employment". Within 3 years could be inclusive of all your time with them. It's left for the court to interpret it.

9 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by manmade(m): 3:20pm On Jan 27, 2023
How did they know you're working in a new company?, Perhaps you dey buga to them, meanwhile go get a lawyer that would accept the brief at your budget, then counter claim against them too.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by ppogba: 3:21pm On Jan 27, 2023
Your help is not on Nairaland.

Get a good lawyer and stop seeking school levers ' advice.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by deavicky(m): 3:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.
they need to get the a Lebanese judge. Even if such clause exist u can still deny it. Except you signed on the same page, if not u can claim they just include that clause.
From there u can charge them for fortification of document. If u have a copy still check if that clause exist in ur copy.
Secondly are they asking u not to use ur certificate because u passed through them.
Next time u should make ur resignation chock them by asking them to increase ur salary Γ—6 or u would leave.

7 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Porpulace: 3:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.

That's a bondage clause you signed Sir.

They don't even want you to open your own business or work for another person for a whole 3 years, while they took your welfare poorly.

You can get a good lawyer to sue them for maltreating you while you worked with them. You should have evidence of it. That way, all of you will settle out of court.

Otherwise, just keep praying for a miracle in court.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 3:23pm On Jan 27, 2023
deavicky:
they need to get the a Lebanese judge. Even if such clause exist u can still deny it. Except you signed on the same page, if not u can claim they just include that clause.
From there u can charge them for fortification of document. If u have a copy still check if that clause exist in ur copy.
Secondly are they asking u not to use ur certificate because u passed through them.
Next time u should make ur resignation chock them by asking them to increase ur salary Γ—6 or u would leave.

They didn't give me a copy of the letter when I signed it.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Eniolohunda: 3:25pm On Jan 27, 2023
All in all, your resignation letter is a legal document to protect you in the face of any law. Meanwhile, I've never seen a law that will prevent someone from using his / skill after resigning from a stupid company. They don't have any case

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Trybes(m): 3:26pm On Jan 27, 2023
Having worked for all that years, one easy way you could have left the company without this useless dragging is to demand for a 300% pay raise. Reason due to the high inflation.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Saladdin: 3:28pm On Jan 27, 2023
Asian companies are some of the most useless companies to work with. I almost sued my former employer too which was an Asian company.
https://www.nairaland.com/7063423/mention-worst-company-work-nigeria/1#111699862

You'll win this case convincingly. This will serve as a warning to them and their ilks wanting to enslave people.

If you work with them or any other company, never be afraid of any yeye non-compete agreement especially if it's unfair. They want to have the liberty to sack you, but want to deny you the same liberty to work wherever you wish.

I trust our judges, they'll fling such nonsense out of the court's door.

5 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 3:28pm On Jan 27, 2023
manmade:
How did they know you're working in a new company?, Perhaps you dey buga to them, meanwhile go get a lawyer that would accept the brief at your budget, then counter claim against them too.

They got to know from my reports to our clients because both companies has the same target market and we service thesame clients and maybe someone informed them about the new company. I'm well known on the field because I handle Audit and reports for 1st class clients in Lagos.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 3:29pm On Jan 27, 2023
Eniolohunda:
All in all, your resignation letter is a legal document to protect you in the face of any law. Meanwhile, I've never seen a law that will prevent someone from using his / skill after resigning from a stupid company. They don't have any case

Thanks. I do have it with me
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by potent5(m): 3:30pm On Jan 27, 2023
This is a case of contract in restraint of trade. You can defeat them in court if you get the right lawyer with affordable fees.
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by APC2: 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2023
westlius:
How did ur previous job knw where u working after ur resignation
This is what I wanted to say. He didn't close his mouth. He probably contacting some people there telling them how good his new company is. This is a case of too much talking. Keep secrets!

3 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Godsonkemz(m): 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2023
You have the right to appeal the judgement at the appeal court. You can as well institute a legal action against your former employer at the industrial court which has the jurisdiction.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by deavicky(m): 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

They didn't give me a copy of the letter when I signed it.
you would have done some cross check. However you owe them nothing this ur country u must get that favour whether they like it or not.
They didn't send u to school or any training even the in house they gave u, deny it.

4 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Treadway: 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2023
Lol. You signed a non-compete agreement dude! It appears you don't know what a non-compete clause is. YOU CANNOT WORK IN A SIMILAR INDUSTRY/FIRM FOR A PERIOD OF THREE YEARS, UNFORTUNATELY. They will win you in court hands down.

You should not have accepted that job if it didn't have prospects. They got you real good. Wow!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unilever Field Sales Officer Assessment 2016 / I Didn't Negotiate My Salary Well / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.