Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. (21748 Views)

Should I Quit My Job While I Haven't Got Another One? / Is Xyples LLC Another Job Scam / Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by BHG1: 6:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
How to Invest Money In 2023: Making The Right Choice That Works https://www.bhginfodesks.com/2023/01/how-to-invest-money-in-2023-making.html #investment #invest
Othniel4mi:

They didn't deduct any money from my salary. Always pay full salary at the end of the month. They might have been paying tax after I left. As at Then, they were not paying.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Doubleoh7: 6:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
obyrich:
There is a flaw in the wording of the paragraph which the OPs lawyer can use to argue his case. 'Within a period of 3 years' .... Before, during or after disengagement with the company? Obviously OP can claim that it means the period of 3 years counts from the date of his engagement in 2018.
Yeah, asides that, I don't even know to what extent such clause is enforceable. Like I said earlier, I believe he has a case, think his previous employers just want to scare him and the new employers
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by veektor01(m): 6:27pm On Jan 27, 2023
Take It to Brekete Radio programme.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 6:36pm On Jan 27, 2023
bobydo:

I will assumed you sign the non compete agreement.

Note the following: The basis of taking you to court will not hold ground in Nigeria therefore do not be afraid.
The company engaged you for over 3 years at the rate of 150,000 naira and has not increased your salary. The cost of living in Nigeria has risen above 300%.

You resigned because you have a familly couple with your parents who relied on the salary. Now the salary cannot feed your family again, the need for you to seek opportunity somewhere else.

I REPEAT FEAR NOT
FEAR NOT

Thanks. I wrote all in my resignation letter.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by GboyegaD(m): 6:38pm On Jan 27, 2023
icedbreez:

You can't work in two different companies at same time so invariably that clause implies 3years upon termination or resignation.

Always watch out for the fine print. Only Lebanese and Indians can insert a clause from hell like that.

It can be interpreted differently. The fact that it is not explicitly stated can be argued.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by sulphonate2000: 6:46pm On Jan 27, 2023
No mind them ooooo
Na so them dey do

Them no won make you move forward but God pass them congratulations to bro.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Ade3131: 6:52pm On Jan 27, 2023
@op, this is the easiest case I've ever seen.

Lemme gi e you the hint on how to go about it.

Tell your current employer to give you another legit employment letter with a different job role that's different from anything related to your original field at your former company.

Make sure you sign it with the exact date you signed when you actually got the job.... I mean postdatedly.

Then get a competent lawyer and gallantly walk to court on the said date with your lawyers. Present your employment letter that shows you're actually working as something else different from what you really are..... Make sure all documents relating to what you really are is trashed or kept away from police or the court. It is your word against their. You now work in another company, not theirs, and they can't say they have facts about another company when in fact, the legal documents (i.e your employment letter) says otherwise.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Treadway: 6:52pm On Jan 27, 2023
LagosInter:

So if he resigns, he should stay unemployed?
first of, na op side I dey. Second, a non-compete essentially is in place so you don't work in the exact same product/industry eg. If you work in FMCG, and you were specifically working with people who sell confectionery, you can't go and work with another confectionery company, but you can work with say drink company, or food company despite that these two are under FMCG also, much less another industry. By design, it is in place so you don't join the competition and give them an edge with the knowledge, skills, trade secrets etc you may have or have had access to from working with them.

Seeing the responses from people that the non-compete wasn't clearly worded to include that it is in effect 'upon resignation', l agree that may be a loophole (altho I believe it is implicit, as non-compete by definition are for when you disengage). I won't sign a non-compete for 3 years sha. All in all, I think OP will be fine, if a sound lawyer can argue the case well. Also the judge no suppose allow Lebanese to come dey buga us for our own soil too..na our turf be this na..lol😎😁

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Maconstruct(m): 6:59pm On Jan 27, 2023
I remember Saul Goodman from d American series BETTER CALL SAUL. Those days I felt I could have read law.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by pasuma(m): 7:01pm On Jan 27, 2023
Quickly go to Lagos state office of public defender since you can't afford a lawyer, then you can also take them to industrial court , they will pay through their nose

Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
1. No benefits except HMO
2. Only your salary
3. Performance commission not paid
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

My new company doesn't have enough money to pay lawyer we consulted.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do 😂.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

I wish I didn't help her to get the job.

Please help.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Jogs1900: 7:05pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

I didn't receive any pension from them. They didn't open account for me. I remember i ask the HR he said pension is only for few set of people that not for me. Mine is to be paying me full salary. They were not deducting pension from my salary.
Let your lawyer send letter to them...Their response will be the evidence you will tender in court as non remmittance..Even if you are a contract staff, there should be remmittance.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by icedbreez(m): 7:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
drsibz66:

The issue is you are into hasty generalisation and quite myopic ( sorry no insults). You can work in two or 3 places fact. You can be a consultant to 2 or more companies can't you? You can be a doctor , nurse for 2 or more hospitals can't you? You can be an engineer , a lawyer for 2 or more companies can't you?

And how do you get salary or wages from a company when you don't work . Not benefit.

Know this not all jobs require you sitting at a duty station ok. And not all jobs requires you to be under a line manager.

Now let me tell you about Nigeria business and international labour law. No body , group of persons , employer, company can ever make u not work for a rival after resignation, even if you signed that document it's non and void. Note I said after resignation or termination except there is an extra clause that says the company will be paying you a specific amount or percentage of your income to stop you from working for a rival. FACT.
And this is logical cos if you have only one skill, how do you fend for you self after retirement or termination from a company. . Does that mean you become useless for another 3yrs because you worked for a company.

I stopped reading when you went down the road of insults and then say "no insults"
I repeat and for the last time too that you can't work in 2 or 3 places at one time if you are on a full time job, it doesn't matter work station/ desk or not, emphasis on FULL TIME which is the case under review. Consultants are not on full time, you are therefore comparing apples with oranges
Next person you have banter with resist the urge to insult pls, I know this is hard in these political season but try.
Like I said I stopped reading so I have no rejoinder to the other issues u raised
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by GerogeI(m): 7:41pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
2. Only your salary
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do 😂.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

Please help.

Op here are three things in those terms that makes this a zero case.
1. Sufficiency of Benefits. - your emplyment terms dictates that you will get a profit share as part of your compensation. They never paid it, even once, so the benefits are insufficient based on their own standard, as such that term of non competition has been breached by your previous employer even before you left their service.

2. The 3 years is ambigous, so you can define it as you want, starting from your first contact with the company.

3. The Non Competition clause is unenforcable, as most are which is why most companies never include such clause, only psuedo lawyers do. It is not aganist the constitution, but against your fundamental human right. The right to work and earn a living. No court will uphold it, unless they are paying you to stay unemployed for 3 years.

Based on these, do not just go to court to defend yourself, rather go to court and counter sue them for N100million, for 1 attempt to get you sacked and infringing on your human rights to work, 2. Witholding your share of the company profits for the period of employment. Since they did not say how much percentage of profit, find a reason to give your self a huge ridiculous percentage such as 100%/ number of staff.

You do not need a costly lawyer, look for a friend or use legal aid. They know they have no case, they just want to frustrate you. So frustrate them, by finding someone who will always attend court diligently.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 8:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
It's a long resignation mail. I don't want to post it here until I get to court
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Asquare84(m): 8:33pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

I didn't receive any pension from them. They didn't open account for me. I remember i ask the HR he said pension is only for few set of people that not for me. Mine is to be paying me full salary. They were not deducting pension from my salary.

Let me tell you something I work with a pension fund administrator, the pension reform act state that any organization that have more than three staff should do pension for all it staff, not a selected few people. Pencom have been penalizing organization that refuse to do pension for staff or do selective pension as it applies to your case so you have a good case in court.

Secondly your organization is supposed to have a group life insurance for all it staff should in case of death if this is not the case National Insurance Commission will take them up.
Thirdly, federal government mandate all private companies to register all employees under Nigeria Social Insurance Trust fund (NSITF) should in case of any work related accident. If your former employer did not register you with NSITF then they have a big case to answer.

No need to worry. Get a good lawyer most foreigner violate the right of Nigerian and go away with it. I believe when your lawyer write to all this government agencies your former employer will beg you to let go off the case

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 8:36pm On Jan 27, 2023
free2ryhme:

Show proof that you resigned legally.

Did you sign any competition law your former coy?

Were you paid pension, did you pay PAYE tax, housing loan deductions?

They didn't pay any of such they were paying me my full salary.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 27, 2023
Doubleoh7:

Like I said, the courts might declare that as unenforceable. For me, I'll advise him to meet them at the courts with his legal team. The case might even drag on for years, I think the previous employers just want to scare him and his current employers

Ofcourse na

They want to intimidate their competitor

He is the big deal,so it's like if we can't have him,none will
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by esthel(f): 8:45pm On Jan 27, 2023
OP has sufficient legal advice here already, if you are in lagos go to office of the public defender in Surulere if you can't afford a lawyer. You should let whoever is assigned to you see this thread.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 8:45pm On Jan 27, 2023
I did and I have the long mail with me and also gave them 30days notice. I also copied the Country Manager, HR and Business Owner in my resignation letter. I don't want to share it so that it won't reveal the name of the company. Let me keep it as secret only for my lawyer. Still looking for a Good lawyer to take this matter up for me. I'm ready to do all I can do to claim back my right and damages
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by LEGALSER: 8:54pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please what can I do 😂.

Please help.

This na simple case na. What's your location?
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by FXSavvy: 9:16pm On Jan 27, 2023
Women 😒
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 9:54pm On Jan 27, 2023
oka4ugoo:
Which State is the court/company situate at? I may be of help to you

Lagos. Presently am working at Ikeja.
Previous company is in Victoria island.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 9:54pm On Jan 27, 2023
LEGALSER:

This na simple case na. What's your location?

Lagos sir.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Newbielearner(m): 10:12pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please what can I do 😂.

Please help.

I think they were right for sueing you.

Check the last document you uploaded. The three years was clearly stated. You don enter this one. Deliver yourself like a gazelle. Go back and work for them or leave this company.

You can only win the case if this new company is not in the same industry as the previous

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by bizzibodi(m): 10:32pm On Jan 27, 2023
Why tell them where you are engaged?to remain with them for how much, been paid chicken shiit for big post"operation manager" angry angry angry
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by litaninja(m): 11:14pm On Jan 27, 2023
Please clarify, You claim not to have signed a non-compete, but then scan a non-compete document you signed 8 months into employment with your former employer?

Whether 8 months in or on the day of your "proper" resignation, did you or did you not sign that non-compete? That's the 1st place to start.

Please note; it doesn't matter whether you recommended the HR personnel from your religious cult or if their your sibling, this is a legal issue.

Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please what can I do 😂.

Please help.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by oka4ugoo: 11:38pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

Lagos. Presently am working at Ikeja.
Previous company is in Victoria island.

I'm based in Onitsha, Anambra State but I've a colleague (lawyer) based in Lagos who can assist you. If you're interested I can give you him number so you can contact him
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by osaudu: 12:21am On Jan 28, 2023
Bro if u go to court.

Your previous company will win.

Did you read the Non-competition section well? That where the hook is on your neck.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by drsibz66(m): 12:54am On Jan 28, 2023
icedbreez:

I stopped reading when you went down the road of insults and then say "no insults"
I repeat and for the last time too that you can't work in 2 or 3 places at one time if you are on a full time job, it doesn't matter work station/ desk or not, emphasis on FULL TIME which is the case under review. Consultants are not on full time, you are therefore comparing apples with oranges
Next person you have banter with resist the urge to insult pls, I know this is hard in these political season but try.
Like I said I stopped reading so I have no rejoinder to the other issues u raised

You can work in 2 or more places. It's not illegal or wrong. Don't use your job to judge all jobs. There are people who are full full time employed and work only 8 to 2 and have another full time job from 3 to 8 . Just depends in the job , environment and where you work.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by kaludestiny10(m): 2:14am On Jan 28, 2023
You have just said it all. Any rule , act or law that is not consistent with the constitution is null and void.
Doubleoh7:
Always always scrutinise any document before you sign. If possible, run it through a legal person. One of the documents you shared had a non-competition clause and its provisions are well spelt out. Are they within their rights to sue you for breach, I believe so. It is now left for the courts to determine if such provision is enforceable under the law and does not amount to trampling on your rights as an individual
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by 3seriez(m): 3:53am On Jan 28, 2023
FMCGs do this alot. They Make you sign a document not to work with a direct competitor for a certain period when you disengage from them. My former workplace made us sign such document and as no Jobs readily available, employees have no option but to sign.
But I believe for them to have the audacity to do that, they must have found a loophole or way around our labour law to exploit. I found it ridiculous till date. My former boss would say Nigeria has shitty labour laws.
Get a good lawyer who knows his onions to go through the document and see if you breached any agreement. If the Odds are against you , switch to blackmail.
Like one of the commenters mentioned, Are they complying with the Pension law, NSITF, Tax or any other regulatory process. Are they cutting corners on certain agreements or processes in violation of the law that you are aware of? Sometimes you just have to fight dirty too for peace to reign. Most companies don't like bad press or publicity. Good luck.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Jeffy1206(m): 5:11am On Jan 28, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please what can I do 😂.

Please help.
it is a simple and winnable case but as a lawyer I'm not allowed to say that. However, you don't need expensive law firms to handle this matter for you. Abi you dey find SAN firm for this? undecided I bet you, na 1 year experience lawyer go still handle the matter 😏🤔

Now let's see... Parties are bound by their terms in the contract however in this case, where is the contract? 🤔 Some contract terms are void ab initio etc... Just find a good lawyer around you. 🤷

Nigerian Navy Recruitment 2024 (NNBTS BATCH 36) / Unilever Field Sales Officer Assessment 2016 / I Didn't Negotiate My Salary Well

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96