Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. (21754 Views)

Should I Quit My Job While I Haven't Got Another One? / Is Xyples LLC Another Job Scam / Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by entrep88: 6:08am On Jan 28, 2023
Doubleoh7:
Always always scrutinise any document before you sign. If possible, run it through a legal person. One of the documents you shared had a non-competition clause and its provisions are well spelt out. Are they within their rights to sue you for breach, I believe so. It is now left for the courts to determine if such provision is enforceable under the law and does not amount to trampling on your rights as an individual
Perfect response, OP go with this.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Ifakiland(m): 9:13am On Jan 28, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
1. No benefits except HMO
2. Only your salary
3. Performance commission not paid
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

My new company doesn't have enough money to pay lawyer we consulted.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do šŸ˜‚.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

I wish I didn't help her to get the job.

Please help.
Counter sue them for breach of human rights...every human has a right to work and stop work for any coy at anytime and it supercedes any kind of contract. Human right is topmost of all rights. No employer can keep u as a modern slave

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by WantsandMore: 10:51am On Jan 28, 2023
SultanOfPuna:
A little summary
For the Urchins wey no go school.

Op form Aye cult with him padi
After years of urchinizing the streets
Him boys disown am back to the streets
Op join another cult
Him previous cult come dey vex
Dem come declare war on Op
Simply put, saynotocultism grinšŸ˜
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Codes151(m): 10:58am On Jan 28, 2023
Did they pay you up to 20m that they are suing you?

Find a good lawyer.
What's the notice period on the previous contract. How many you default.

Lawyer must build the case on under payment, nigeria, family and these companies encouraging poverty.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Codes151(m): 11:00am On Jan 28, 2023
Ifakiland:

Counter sue them for breach of human rights...every human has a right to work and stop work for any coy at anytime and it supercedes any kind of contract. Human right is topmost of all rights. No employer can keep u as a modern slave
doest work that way. You signed employment form.
He could hv taken leave then resign.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Bishop(m): 6:00pm On Jan 28, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
2. Only your salary
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

Please help.

Office of the public defended, they have offices all around Lagos metropolis or alternatively, visit the citizens and mediation center at Alausa, this service will be offered to you absolutely free of cost.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MeineMutter: 10:31pm On Jan 28, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.

You will loose in court. You signed a non-compete agreement with your formal employer. You can only work with competitor company after 3 years of signing such agreement.

See that section in the contract you signed. I have attached it here.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MeineMutter: 10:36pm On Jan 28, 2023
Ade3131:
@op, this is the easiest case I've ever seen.

Lemme gi e you the hint on how to go about it.

Tell your current employer to give you another legit employment letter with a different job role that's different from anything related to your original field at your former company.

Make sure you sign it with the exact date you signed when you actually got the job.... I mean postdatedly.

Then get a competent lawyer and gallantly walk to court on the said date with your lawyers. Present your employment letter that shows you're actually working as something else different from what you really are..... Make sure all documents relating to what you really are is trashed or kept away from police or the court. It is your word against their. You now work in another company, not theirs, and they can't say they have facts about another company when in fact, the legal documents (i.e your employment letter) says otherwise.

May be this is another technical way he could win. šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜†. He could be in charge of diesel generator house.

3 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MeineMutter: 10:46pm On Jan 28, 2023
bizzibodi:
Why tell them where you are engaged?to remain with them for how much, been paid chicken shiit for big post"operation manager" angry angry angry

The role name was a bait the employer used in catching him šŸ˜. This is the trick being used lately by companies in Nigeria. They will call you a Logistics Manager meanwhile you are motor boy/loader and off-loader for factory.
It is happening in our multinational companies too.

How can an Operations Manager be earning N150k and be working in on the Island? Anyway, no be the fault of those Cora sha. Na our countryā€™s fault.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MeineMutter: 10:58pm On Jan 28, 2023
tombeck:
The non competition agreement didn't state 3 year after termination or resignation of employment.

I am sure this Lebanese company doesn't pay pension and tax payee.

God will fight for you.

If they donā€™t pay tax or pension, it is the state that will sue the company for evading tax but not the OP. State will fine the company and compel it to remit all it has deducted on OP. The company will eventually claim damages from OP for violating the agreement he signed.

I guess he was desperately in need of job then and was thinking ā€˜ we will know how to cross the bridge when we get thereā€™ when he saw that clause in the agreement.

Job seekers should be warned: any notice period that is more than one month or in lieu of one month notice, DO NOT SIGN such agreement, except if it a senior executive position.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MeineMutter: 11:09pm On Jan 28, 2023
charityexplicit:
I was given a legal document to sign by my previous employer. One of the conditions was that when I leave their company, I will not work with any company in Nigeria that does the same line of business with them until after 3years. I didn't sign those documents and that was how I left the newly gotten job then. I couldn't imagine such wickedness by any employer all in the name of "no much jobs" and whereas people are desperate to get jobs. I disappointed them by not signing and walked away and I was proud I did. Barely 5 months after, I got another job of same line of business that pays me almost 3 times what I should have earned in the other company. Please, let's always read every documents given to us properly and know your worth to an extent.
Note: in between those 5 months, I was without a job and it wasn't funny but at last, I started smiling.

You did well. It is even better to take a Sign-on-fee than sign a non-compete agreement.
One knows one can return their sign-on-fee when leaving and be free to join another company. But for non-compete, it is like a wedding done at Ikoyi Marriage Registry o. You either honor the agreement or the parties agree on out-of-court settlement, or pay the fine attached to non-compliance.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 2:16am On Jan 29, 2023
MeineMutter:

You will loose in court. You signed a non-compete agreement with your formal employer. You can only work with competitor company after 3 years of signing such agreement.

See that section in the contract you signed. I have attached it here.

3 years from When? (AFTER SIGNING - I signed in 2018 so you are right. Why will I lose the case. I started working with the new employer in 2022) Please read in between the lines. The company im working with presently is not parent company. They're not related in any way. We only have same target market. It is an open business. If your soup is sweeter than another person, I will buy yours.
(I joined previous company 2018 when I signed. I started with the new employer in 2022)šŸ˜
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by bizzibodi(m): 10:40am On Jan 29, 2023
MeineMutter:

The role name was a bait the employer used in catching him šŸ˜. This is the trick being used lately by companies in Nigeria. They will call you a Logistics Manager meanwhile you are motor boy/loader and off-loader for factory.
It is happening in our multinational companies too.

How can an Operations Manager be earning N150k and be working in on the Island? Anyway, no be the fault of those Cora sha. Na our countryā€™s fault.
We have suffered for this cun3.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MeineMutter: 1:16pm On Jan 29, 2023
Othniel4mi:

3 years from When? (AFTER SIGNING - I signed in 2018 so you are right. Why will I lose the case. I started working with the new employer in 2022) Please read in between the lines. The company im working with presently is not parent company. They're not related in any way. We only have same target market. It is an open business. If your soup is sweeter than another person, I will buy yours.
(I joined previous company 2018 when I signed. I started with the new employer in 2022)šŸ˜

It does mean. Any company you join, within the space of 3 years after your resignation, and the company is in the same INDUSTRY/SECTOR where the former company you signed the non-compete agreement is deemed to be competitor to your former company so far they are in the same industrial sector. It doesnā€™t mean they should be producing exact same thing.

Your formal employer has its reasons for suing you. Sit down with a lawyer and take down all posts relating to this topic from all online media so that you can be tactical in wining.

I could see you are defending yourself like a professional litigator against any opposite opinion people have.

If you donā€™t need peopleā€™s input or perspective on this matter, donā€™t bring it to the public. You should only ask questions and areas that are not clear to you from peopleā€™s perspectives.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by FriendsAndFans(m): 9:19pm On Jan 29, 2023
MeineMutter:

It does mean. Any company you join, within the space of 3 years after your resignation, and the company is in the same INDUSTRY/SECTOR where the former company you signed the non-compete agreement is deemed to be competitor to your former company so far they are in the same industrial sector. It doesnā€™t mean they should be producing exact same thing.

Your formal employer has its reasons for suing you. Sit down with a lawyer and take down all posts relating to this topic from all online media so that you can be tactical in wining.

I could see you are defending yourself like a professional litigator against any opposite opinion people have.

If you donā€™t need peopleā€™s input or perspective on this matter, donā€™t bring it to the public. You should only ask questions and areas that are not clear to you from peopleā€™s perspectives.
I think the argument will be won based on the number of years between the resignation and his resumption with the new employer.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 29, 2023
Othniel4mi:

I really wish to know who told your former employer that you're now working with this new coy? How did they get to know?
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by ONNYX: 11:43pm On Jan 29, 2023
onlinestaff2020:
Suing someone that left his/her job honorably without any issue is bullshit.
Lebanese companies are wack and dubious in their dealings.
Op, carry shakabula and wipe those bastards.
On the soft side, did you brag to them that you are now working presently in XYZ Company?
Damn them!!!

Did you read the the contract he signed with his previously?
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by GerogeI(m): 5:28am On Jan 30, 2023
Othniel4mi:

Stop replying uninformed comments. Any non-compete agreement that says you cannot work is null and void. If they were smart, they would have worded it to say you cannot poach any of their clients for the period. As is, it is null and the constitution guarantees the human right to work, and no contract supersedes the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by GerogeI(m): 5:32am On Jan 30, 2023
MeineMutter:

Stop giving him your crappy laymans advise and trying to force him to bite. Your write up shows you have no experience whatsover scrutinizing contracts.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MeineMutter: 8:26am On Jan 30, 2023
GerogeI:

Stop giving him your crappy laymans advise and trying to force him to bite. Your write up shows you have no experience whatsover scrutinizing contracts.

Can you give him your own ā€˜adviseā€™ as you have written up there? Olodo, replacing a noun with a verb.

Solicitor General to the OP, na here we go dey. Make OP sha come back and update us o after he has been found guilty. No forget to follow am go court anytime he is to appear o.

Non-compete agreement is as strict as anything, and the OPā€™s employer and the judge would interpret it to any length so far the OP took up a new role within that 3 years he signed and in the same industry or sector - not necessarily in the same type of company that manufactures same or similar products or render same services.

Itā€™s because you are a dunc.e and you donā€™t know how companies are categorized along the value chain.

Anyways, I only opined. I didnā€™t advise. Ok?

I am certain you are pained, one-way or the other as I dey give you and your people dem upper cuts.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by vicky2126(f): 8:44am On Jan 30, 2023
Pls I need a job secretarial job around abule egba bikonu..am a degree holder oo with 2 yrs of experience
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by PeaceNation: 11:42am On Jan 30, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.

OP pls find out if that company is paying their tax regularly, I know those lebanese companies and India companies don't normally pay their tax.

If the company is not paying their tax, just use it the avenue to sue them and capitalized on it and you will expose them to appropriate tax officers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unilever Field Sales Officer Assessment 2016 / I Didn't Negotiate My Salary Well / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.