Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. (21753 Views)

Should I Quit My Job While I Haven't Got Another One? / Is Xyples LLC Another Job Scam / Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by drsibz66(m): 4:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
icedbreez:

Taking salary from 2 or 3 places is different from working in 2 or 3 places. Even at that ICPC can be on your case.

If you are working or ever worked in a serious company you know that if you are out of your duty station or desk for 2hours your line Manager or possibly other managers will know immediately and start screaming where are you? Not civil service work you can disappear for weeks.
No company can take away your liberty yes but if you sign away your freedom then u ll lose in court because you signed.
The document did not make reference to date because it is assumed you can only work in one company full time per time except your contract says part time. And 3 years after you leave them you can't work with a competitor, he shouldn't have signed it. His best bet is to hope that d 3 years has expired or beg his current employers to take him back after expiration of the 3years or a negotiated settlement with his former employers.

The issue is you are into hasty generalisation and quite myopic ( sorry no insults). You can work in two or 3 places fact. You can be a consultant to 2 or more companies can't you? You can be a doctor , nurse for 2 or more hospitals can't you? You can be an engineer , a lawyer for 2 or more companies can't you?

And how do you get salary or wages from a company when you don't work . Not benefit.

Know this not all jobs require you sitting at a duty station ok. And not all jobs requires you to be under a line manager.

Now let me tell you about Nigeria business and international labour law. No body , group of persons , employer, company can ever make u not work for a rival after resignation, even if you signed that document it's non and void. Note I said after resignation or termination except there is an extra clause that says the company will be paying you a specific amount or percentage of your income to stop you from working for a rival. FACT.
And this is logical cos if you have only still how do you fend for you self after retirement or termination from a company. . Does that mean you become useless for another 3yrs because you worked for a company.

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by drsibz66(m): 4:57pm On Jan 27, 2023
icedbreez:

Taking salary from 2 or 3 places is different from working in 2 or 3 places. Even at that ICPC can be on your case.

If you are working or ever worked in a serious company you know that if you are out of your duty station or desk for 2hours your line Manager or possibly other managers will know immediately and start screaming where are you? Not civil service work you can disappear for weeks.
No company can take away your liberty yes but if you sign away your freedom then u ll lose in court because you signed.
The document did not make reference to date because it is assumed you can only work in one company full time per time except your contract says part time. And 3 years after you leave them you can't work with a competitor, he shouldn't have signed it. His best bet is to hope that d 3 years has expired or beg his current employers to take him back after expiration of the 3years or a negotiated settlement with his former employers.

The issue is you are into hasty generalisation and quite myopic ( sorry no insults). You can work in two or 3 places fact. You can be a consultant to 2 or more companies can't you? You can be a doctor , nurse for 2 or more hospitals can't you? You can be an engineer , a lawyer for 2 or more companies can't you?

And how do you get salary or wages from a company when you don't work . Not benefit.

Know this not all jobs require you sitting at a duty station ok. And not all jobs requires you to be under a line manager.

Now let me tell you about Nigeria business and international labour law. No body , group of persons , employer, company can ever make u not work for a rival after resignation, even if you signed that document it's non and void. Note I said after resignation or termination except there is an extra clause that says the company will be paying you a specific amount or percentage of your income to stop you from working for a rival. FACT.
And this is logical cos if you have only one skill, how do you fend for you self after retirement or termination from a company. . Does that mean you become useless for another 3yrs because you worked for a company.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by mikeuz(m): 5:00pm On Jan 27, 2023
drsibz66:

You can actually work in 2 or 3 different companies at the same time . FACT. That document the op posted didn't make reference to any date the 3yrs is to oversee so it's very well relates to the employment since other clauses were also referenced to the employment date. .

2 , No company can take away your liberty or human right to work any where else after you retire or terminate your contract.

3, The competitive agreement can only hold water if he was working in both companies at the same time.ie that he hasn't officially resigned.

He breached his agreement. And yes companies can do this. Because of the sensitive nature of the position.
Also he signed a NON COMPETITION agreement.
Incase you are thinking its not spelt out after resigning. Then you need to know the meaning of NON- Competition agreement. Non competition agreements are always after resignation.
There is another agreement that takes care of your number 3 points not non competition.

The only case i think he has here is that, some states or countries don’t enforce the non competition agreement, and since its Nigeria and this might not be clear in state laws, he can argue his case, so can the company too. Another thing he has on his side is that 3years is too much, usually 0.6- 1year is enough. They don’t expect him to be out of work for 3years. Again if the company can prove that 3 years is rightfully necessary, and it will cost them money or give unfair advantage to the other company, then the guy done enter one chance with a complicated case on his hands.
He needs a really good lawyer.
And of cos his current employers won’t want to let him go because they like his skills and knowledge. Some of which are most likely transferrable from his previous place. But can’t pay a lawyer? Laughable. They will probably milkwhat they can and leave him on a short run.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by stuffs2002: 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2023
Jogs1900:
You know what?Consult a lawyer first..There are some loop holes you can exploit to your advantage in the offer letter like Pension law, payee which I know they didn't remmit.
Let a lawyer send a letter to them demanding for evidence of payee tax remitted on your behalf, then evidence of your pension remitted...If they fail to respond, send a petition to pencom and Lagos state government for their failure to remmit tax...Put them in more trouble...What nonsense.

The case is already in court
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MrMcJay(m): 5:05pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

I didn't get any of those. They didn't pay me. Only Salary

What I mean is that were they deducting HMO and Income Tax from your monthly salary?

If they deducted, were they remitting HMO to your Pension account and taxes to the Tax authority?

I shared my experience some years ago. You will see why I'm asking you those questions.
MrMcJay:
There was someone one time who got a new employment through a recruitment agency and needed a lawyer as Guarantor. His mom is a neighbour to my mom and so, I obliged him.
Subsequently, he was employed.
A few years later I got a call from his workplace that he had absconded and he was paid his salary a month after he resigned. I told them to deduct it from the salary of the accounting officer who paid him but they said I had to either produce him or pay it on his behalf. When I called him, he told me that there were several deductions from his salary and they couldn't justify it. He also said they were deducting tax and pension but they were not remitting pension to his PFA.

Next thing, the company called the Police and those ones invited me to the station. I went there and they asked me to write a statement. I wrote that I stood as a Guarantor for someone who was employed and unfortunately had resigned. I wrote that he resigned because they were deducting tax and pension and they were not remitting. I further added that the action to pay the ex-employee after resignation was designed by the Hr and Company accounts department to defraud the company. Thereafter, I left the station.

That evening, the people who reported to the station called and started begging. I just ignored them and told them to provide proof that they remitted deducted tax and pension to the tax guys and the PFA.

2 days later, I wrote a petition and sent a copy to the company, pointedly accusing the MD of fraud by not remitting deducted funds. The MD called me and was crying. She offered to come to my office to apologise properly. I told her not to worry but to send me what I requested for.

We are still on the matter and I will make sure they are made scapegoats for others to learn from.

4 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by MrMcJay(m): 5:07pm On Jan 27, 2023
stuffs2002:

Doesn't matter. The matter in court is civil, we will use criminal angle to teach them a bitter lesson.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by LaIabobo: 5:08pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

I left previous company March 10, 2022 and I got another job October 2022. They didn't say 3 years AFTER TERMINATION.

I joined previous company 2018. This what I think my lawyer will use to fight them to win them.

They don't have a case at all.
Just get a lawyer to respond to them and counter sue. You can even file for damages too. There's no way a Lebanese firm won't break at least 5 Nigerian labour laws. Pension, NHF, PAYE, etc. They'll land in big soup.
They are mad.

3 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by drsibz66(m): 5:11pm On Jan 27, 2023
icedbreez:

Let me tell you one last thing. In the court of law you don't assume. It's what is started in the document that holds. If you want to assume that the 3 yes is after resignation, the defendant can also assume its 3yrs of working with them. . Bro its not stated its not stated. Its an ambiguous statement and won't hold. Moreover its even against the labour law.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by dannex4adx(m): 5:13pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
1. No benefits except HMO
2. Only your salary
3. Performance commission not paid
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

My new company doesn't have enough money to pay lawyer we consulted.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do 😂.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

I wish I didn't help her to get the job.

Please help.

If you are in Lagos, go to human rights and table your case there or go to the Lagos judge court that we normally see on Facebook.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
2. Only your salary
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do 😂.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

Please help.

Find a lawyer to sue the company for any damage you think this case have caused you for 100 billion naira and see them settle out of court.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Onarabu: 5:20pm On Jan 27, 2023
GboyegaD:
The good side in my opinion is that the non-competition clause did not state after 3 years of leaving the organization. Get a good lawyer.

Its obvious Op didn't read that part very well, he got another job after 7months not up to 3 years he signed for and the said job also falls within the non competitive clause he earlier signed
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by stuffs2002: 5:21pm On Jan 27, 2023
MrMcJay:

Doesn't matter. The matter in court is civil, we will use criminal angle to teach them a bitter lesson.

I do feel the fellow because some wicked employers want to destroy any employee that dares to leave them
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Boykevwe81(m): 5:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
SultanOfPuna:
A little summary
For the Urchins wey no go school.

Op form Aye cult with him padi
After years of urchinizing the streets
Him boys disown am back to the streets
Op join another cult
Him previous cult come dey vex
Dem come declare war on Op
benin boys analysis
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by drsibz66(m): 5:23pm On Jan 27, 2023
mikeuz:

He breached his agreement. And yes companies can do this. Because of the sensitive nature of the position.
Also he signed a NON COMPETITION agreement.
Incase you are thinking its not spelt out after resigning. Then you need to know the meaning of NON- Competition agreement. Non competition agreements are always after resignation.
There is another agreement that takes care of your number 3 points not non competition.

The only case i think he has here is that, some states or countries don’t enforce the non competition agreement, and since its Nigeria and this might not be clear in state laws, he can argue his case, so can the company too. Another thing he has on his side is that 3years is too much, usually 0.6- 1year is enough. They don’t expect him to be out of work for 3years. Again if the company can prove that 3 years is rightfully necessary, and it will cost them money or give unfair advantage to the other company, then the guy done enter one chance with a complicated case on his hands.
He needs a really good lawyer.
And of cos his current employers won’t want to let him go because they like his skills and knowledge. Some of which are most likely transferrable from his previous place. But can’t pay a lawyer? Laughable. They will probably milkwhat they can and leave him on a short run.

Pls don't argue what you don't know. The Labour law or competitive labour ONLY EXIST BETWEEN AN EMPLOYEE AND EMPLOYER AND NOT AN EX EMPLOYEE AND EMPLOYEE. NOTE THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM CONFIDENTIALITY ISSUES.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by viodemus: 5:24pm On Jan 27, 2023
I think you stand on your rights in this situation. The company didn't cover their grounds, and there were not running a business but a slave camp. At this point, you can even open the same business next door if you wish.

I thank God for giving me the opportunity to know America as an employee and as an employer. I learnt alot. Any thinkable dot is assessed and covered if need be.

This is also a lesson to employers. Treat people with respect and have conscience. I also thank God for the people that work in my businesses, Depending on the business, I don't go profit crazy just for me, I give bonuses all the time, I just did one sign off before I saw this post, I gave approval for four trips --- two nigerians, one SA, and one kenyan, these are new staffs that started about 2years ago. The crazy thing is that the sA staff wish is to come to Nigeria for 2 weeks, Lagos, Abuja, and calabar is high on her list. The kenyan guy chose to go to SA. The Nigerian lady chose America, and the guy is headed to France. The other people make money and some have had an opportunity to travel to any place of their choice with hotel stay and money for fun or for keeps. I also encourage them to grow and improve in the trade. I appreciate them, and they also know I respect their opinions, I don't just fire anyone like that, I like to have multiple diplomatic talk with any slacker in the business. Many have the chance to leave, but they like it here. I thank God for them. This Christmas, they bought me cars that I don't need --- I donated the two cars with other personal contributions from me, to motherless baby organizations, they also give me customized things, etc The longer staffs even buy stuffs for my parents --- which I don't condone, especially big gifts. I try to make sure they are happy like me, nothing is enough, but they know I try to respectfully do right by them, and see improvements. Am not about see me your boss or whatever, I be g like them, we work diligently, and sometimes have fun that would etch in our memories.

When you own McDonald's, or other franchises, the business is different. Your impact to the employees are limited kind of, so I do things like early pay increase, and just any benefits that I can include. That resulted in them raising the location level, the McDonalds in Seattle and Iowa, have a good city and state inspection record on hygiene, and really few customer complaints on day to day operations. It is a stepping stone job, so I do have people leaving for their other careers but many personally vouch for that location, and encourage their friends to apply. I don't make much decisions on those businesses, it basically runs itself, and it is 247 operations. I can watch the day to day operations from Nigeria or wherever if the need be. I thank God for all my working partners.

@op, keep moving to greater heights, they have no case. They should have treated you better. Hopefully, they and even you, learn from this experience. We are all a working progress until we kpai. Good luck in your future endeavors.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by donproject2(m): 5:26pm On Jan 27, 2023
Toay:
The clause of not working in a similar field is against the Nigerian labor law and the constitution; hence it cannot hold in a court of law. That is even if the clause was included in your contract

If the clause was contained in the employment letter, and he read and accepted the offer, no court, even the supreme court can negate what was written in the offer letter. The only escape route he has is if the clause is not exclusively stated.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jan 27, 2023
Doubleoh7:
Always always scrutinise any document before you sign. If possible, run it through a legal person. One of the documents you shared had a non-competition clause and its provisions are well spelt out. Are they within their rights to sue you for breach, I believe so. It is now left for the courts to determine if such provision is enforceable under the law and does not amount to trampling on your rights as an individual

I think op will win this case

Cus you terminated my job and you expect me not to work in the field I have knowledge or I specialize in.. you studied for years to graduate, na one company go determine who or where you worked for, I don't think it's right irrespective of whether you signed or not, everyone knows how hard it is to get a job in this country, you even terminated his job and expect him to go become a dishwasher for 3yrs or be something he isn't familiar with

If I be judge, na to knack the foreigners penalty,to threaten me in my country... abeg if Sango fit sort am, gake them to the spiritual court

Court!!!!!
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Zer8: 5:43pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please what can I do 😂.

Please help.

https://www.harlemsolicitors.com/2021/08/28/legal-implication-of-non-compete-clause-in-employment-contracts-in-nigeria/
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Zer8: 5:48pm On Jan 27, 2023
Zer8:

https://www.harlemsolicitors.com/2021/08/28/legal-implication-of-non-compete-clause-in-employment-contracts-in-nigeria/

If you really well, the contract is not valid, the law says 2 years according to section 59 of FCCPA 2019.
The court have given verdit verdit that it's inhuman and void If it's more than 2 years
in fyour own case it was 3 years.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Zer8: 5:51pm On Jan 27, 2023

Please read this write up. It will put your mind at rest. The contract is null and void. Such has been determined by court that when it's more than 2 years, it's inhuman and slavery.
FCCPA stated it clearly
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by alizma: 5:53pm On Jan 27, 2023
If only you are able to get a good lawyer, then you are about to become reach man provided your former company is now rich. I see where they wrote bonus as performance sharing base, that means you can be claim some share of the company provided the company has done well over the years and no compensation has been paid to you in those years
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Doubleoh7: 5:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
Aguogba:

It's invalid since they did not specify "after resignation or termination of employment" , so they have NO CASE against OP.
Like I said, it's left for the courts to interpret if that thing is enforceable or not. If it is unenforceable, they'll throw it out
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by alizma: 5:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please what can I do 😂.

Please help.
Sue that company in another court, ask for 20% of the company's share, it is stated in one of the documents that your bonus is performance base. Go and read about performance base bonus then you will understand me better, call your lawyers attention to that bonus and let him tell you your chances if you decide to sue the company.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Doubleoh7: 5:59pm On Jan 27, 2023
acewines:

I think op will win this case

Cus you terminated my job and you expect me not to work in the field I have knowledge or I specialize in.. you studied for years to graduate, na one company go determine who or where you worked for, I don't think it's right irrespective of whether you signed or not, everyone knows how hard it is to get a job in this country, you even terminated his job and expect him to go become a dishwasher for 3yrs or be something he isn't familiar with

If I be judge, na to knack the foreigners penalty,to threaten me in my country... abeg if Sango fit sort am, gake them to the spiritual court

Court!!!!!
Like I said, the courts might declare that as unenforceable. For me, I'll advise him to meet them at the courts with his legal team. The case might even drag on for years, I think the previous employers just want to scare him and his current employers
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2023
viodemus:
I think you stand on your rights in this situation. The company didn't cover their grounds, and there were not running a business but a slave camp. At this point, you can even open the same business next door if you wish.

I thank God for giving me the opportunity to know America as an employee and as an employer. I learnt alot. Any thinkable dot is assessed and covered if need be.

This is also a lesson to employers. Treat people with respect and have conscience. I also thank God for the people that work in my businesses, Depending on the business, I don't go profit crazy just for me, I give bonuses all the time, I just did one sign off before I saw this post, I gave approval for four trips --- two nigerians, one SA, and one kenyan, these are new staffs that started about 2years ago. The crazy thing is that the sA staff wish is to come to Nigeria for 2 weeks, Lagos, Abuja, and calabar is high on her list. The kenyan guy chose to go to SA. The Nigerian lady chose America, and the guy is headed to France. The other people make money and some have had an opportunity to travel to any place of their choice with hotel stay and money for fun or for keeps. I also encourage them to grow and improve in the trade. I appreciate them, and they also know I respect their opinions, I don't just fire anyone like that, I like to have multiple diplomatic talk with any slacker in the business. Many have the chance to leave, but they like it here. I thank God for them. This Christmas, they bought me cars that I don't need --- I donated the two cars with other personal contributions from me, to motherless baby organizations, they also give me customized things, etc The longer staffs even buy stuffs for my parents --- which I don't condone, especially big gifts. I try to make sure they are happy like me, nothing is enough, but they know I try to respectfully do right by them, and see improvements. Am not about see me your boss or whatever, I be g like them, we work diligently, and sometimes have fun that would etch in our memories.

When you own McDonald's, or other franchises, the business is different. Your impact to the employees are limited kind of, so I do things like early pay increase, and just any benefits that I can include. That resulted in them raising the location level, the McDonalds in Seattle and Iowa, have a good city and state inspection record on hygiene, and really few customer complaints on day to day operations. It is a stepping stone job, so I do have people leaving for their other careers but many personally vouch for that location, and encourage their friends to apply. I don't make much decisions on those businesses, it basically runs itself, and it is 247 operations. I can watch the day to day operations from Nigeria or wherever if the need be. I thank God for all my working partners.

@op, keep moving to greater heights, they have no case. They should have treated you better. Hopefully, they and even you, learn from this experience. We are all a working progress until we kpai. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Thanks for your encouragement. Trusting God to get good capital to start same business here in Lagos if eventually my current employer terminate me. I will try to get a lawyer can pay after the case or gradually. I just need the termination letter so that I can claim damages. They actually spelt it out that my current employer should terminate me within 7 days but they didn't because of my valuable skills on the field.

I pray the matter ends well in my favour.

Thanks 🙏

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 6:04pm On Jan 27, 2023
alizma:
If only you are able to get a good lawyer, then you are about to become reach man provided your former company is now rich. I see where they wrote bonus as performance sharing base, that means you can be claim some share of the company provided the company has done well over the years and no compensation has been paid to you in those years

Yes they didn't pay and I wrote it in my resignation letter as well.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Jogs1900: 6:07pm On Jan 27, 2023
stuffs2002:

Very good.. Exploit these too..When they see you have upper hand, they will be forced to settle out of court with you. Non remmittance of tax and pension is a big offence.Put them in more trouble.Consult a lawyer and he or she will advise you on what to do.They want to take you for granted.There are so many loopholes a good lawyer can explore in that offer letter...
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by wirinet(m): 6:08pm On Jan 27, 2023
MrMcJay:

LaIabobo:

Just get a lawyer to respond to them and counter sue. You can even file for damages too. There's no way a Lebanese firm didn't break at least 5 Nigerian labour laws. Pension, NHF, PAYE, etc. They'll land in big soup.
They are mad.

Gbam.

Your own case is a civil matter. Take them to a criminal court. As they say, attack is the best gorm of defense. Since you are a pioneering staff of the company, I am sure you know all their secrets. From immigration to tax violations. Do they deduct and pay VAT on all their transactions? Do the Lebanese and his family members have valid work permit? Are they complaint with environmental, health, safety, fire, etc regulations and laws? I am sure you will find something to nail them.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by obyrich(m): 6:14pm On Jan 27, 2023
Doubleoh7:
Always always scrutinise any document before you sign. If possible, run it through a legal person. One of the documents you shared had a non-competition clause and its provisions are well spelt out. Are they within their rights to sue you for breach, I believe so. It is now left for the courts to determine if such provision is enforceable under the law and does not amount to trampling on your rights as an individual
There is a flaw in the wording of the paragraph which the OPs lawyer can use to argue his case. 'Within a period of 3 years' .... Before, during or after disengagement with the company? Obviously OP can claim that it means the period of 3 years counts from the date of his engagement in 2018.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Jogs1900: 6:14pm On Jan 27, 2023
LaIabobo:

Just get a lawyer to respond to them and counter sue. You can even file for damages too. There's no way a Lebanese firm didn't break at least 5 Nigerian labour laws. Pension, NHF, PAYE, etc. They'll land in big soup.
They are mad.
Especially pension and payee..Good thing is they are in Lagos..Lagos state government go handle them well.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 6:14pm On Jan 27, 2023
wirinet:

Gbam.

Your own case is a civil matter. Take them to a criminal court. As they say, attack is the best gorm of defense. Since you are a pioneering staff of the company, I am sure you know all their secrets. From immigration to tax violations. Do they deduct and pay VAT on all their transactions? Do the Lebanese and his family members have valid work permit? Are they complaint with environmental, health, safety, fire, etc regulations and laws? I am sure you will find something to nail them.

They didn't deduct any money from my salary. Always pay full salary at the end of the month. They might have been paying tax after I left. As at Then, they were not paying.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Othniel4mi: 6:17pm On Jan 27, 2023
Jogs1900:

Especially pension and payee..Good thing is they are in Lagos..Lagos state government go handle them well.

I didn't receive any pension from them. They didn't open account for me. I remember i ask the HR he said pension is only for few set of people that not for me. Mine is to be paying me full salary. They were not deducting pension from my salary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unilever Field Sales Officer Assessment 2016 / I Didn't Negotiate My Salary Well / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.