Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,648 members, 7,813,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. (21756 Views)

Should I Quit My Job While I Haven't Got Another One? / Is Xyples LLC Another Job Scam / Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Jogs1900: 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2023
You know what?Consult a lawyer first..There are some loop holes you can exploit to your advantage in the offer letter like Pension law, payee which I know they didn't remmit.
Let a lawyer send a letter to them demanding for evidence of payee tax remitted on your behalf, then evidence of your pension remitted...If they fail to respond, send a petition to pencom and Lagos state government for their failure to remmit tax...Put them in more trouble...What nonsense.

9 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by samwillyco1(m): 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2023
Where is your location
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by EnterpriseMan: 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
1. No benefits except HMO
2. Only your salary
3. Performance commission not paid
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

My new company doesn't have enough money to pay lawyer we consulted.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Please what can I do πŸ˜‚.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

I wish I didn't help her to get the job.

Please help.
Its easy buddy, Do a counter sue and state a ridiculous amount claim. The non-competition clause seems sketchy.
They know your value and know you're a treat to them

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Hidentity(m): 3:39pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:
Fellow Nigerians. I need help because I don't want to be terminated from my new job.

I resigned after working for the previous company for 3 years for the following reasons:
2. Only your salary
4. I was doing job of 4 people without appreciation. I have to do it to keep feeding my family.

I got another job after 7months I have resigned properly from the previous company.

The previous company has sued me to court with my new company. My New company doesn't want to let terminate my employment with them because I am the operations manager and I have the business knowledge.

Myself and 1 Lebanese man started the previous company in 2018 in Nigeria before the company became big. I have full knowledge and my new company is now a big treat to them. I believe because of this they sued us to court.

The previous company said I have signed a letter that stated that I cannot work on same field for 3 years. When I checked their claim, they didn't write that I cannot work on same field for 3 years AFTER TERMINATION (Please check the attached document).

I know if I go to court with them i will win this case. How can a company said i shouldn't use my skills to work in another company.

In the previous company they didn't do any training for me, the only in house training was the onboarding training for 2 days and after that no training cost invested on me and no any form of performance benefits paid.

Now I got another job, the previous company is trenthening my new company to terminate my job. Now we need to go to court and they claimed 20M for damages.

Fellow Nigerians what can I do to this Lebanese company that want to deprive me of my right in my own precious Nigeria where I dey hustle to feed family and make it in life.

Kindly check the attached document they said I signed, of which it was signed after like 8months of starting with the previous company.

We didn't have HR when we started in 2018, I was the one that recommended the HR through a friend from my Church. The HR is the one persecuting me and acting as a witness in court against me.

Please help.

Where are you based?
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Owaincouncil: 3:40pm On Jan 27, 2023
In your years of working with your former coy, don't you have any loophole that you can use against them like tax evation(that's a great offense on its own..it is called economy sabotage) default in safety measure etc or you don't know anything there?
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Watinhapen(m): 3:41pm On Jan 27, 2023
@OP, this is your opportunity to make good money and get back everything that your previous company is owing you. There are alot of lawyers around. Ask your friends and relations. Look for a good lawyer and cash out. The company just wants to trample on you because they think they’re whites. Don’t let them. Fight back hard but ensure you cash out. They don’t have a good case here. It’s already over 3 years that you worked there. Don’t be scared of them.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Dijita: 3:42pm On Jan 27, 2023
If you are 100% sure you don't have a non compete agreement, you can get a youth copper lawyer to handle the case for you. They are probably trying to harass you and your employer. Did you states your reason for resigning as non payment of your bonus or other valid grievances in your resignation letter?

Even if you sign the agreement and you states that they did not pay your bonus in your resignation letter, It is enough to render the agreement void. It will be good if you have your performance evaluation handy. According to your employment letter, if your performance is good and your were not paid anything as bonus you have a case. if they pay you #50, they have fulfil that obligation. It would be helpful if you can get testimonies from the client you handle their projects while working for them. If you have financial data of how much you made for them that will be helpful.
Remember you don't have money, you are going for equity. He who goes to equity must go with clean hand. Don't lie and stick with the truth. The truth you think will harm you may end up helping you.
The fact they did not train you is not a reason to violate non compete agreement. They did not promised to train you. If they don't pay your salary as at when due. It is a breach of contract on their part and that void the contract unless it is already stated in your employment contract.

Get a lawyer that just pass bar and let he/she request for your employment contract including the none compete agreement. Ask for the company financial documents for the period you work with them including bank statements to see if they have reason not to pay you bonus. The moment you start asking for financial documents for auditors to calculate how much your skill contributed to the company and you are been paid #150k. They will back down.

Many people will graduate law school and be earning #50k a month in a country where majority are been exploited when they can make more with small cases by self employee.

Honestly, I don't understand why your company can't exploit this case to expose themselves as David against Goliath. Your company lawyer could have handle this case with little money and positive exposure assuming you are saying the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Jogs1900: 3:42pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

They didn't give me a copy of the letter when I signed it.
It's null and void..You are entitled to copy of any documents you append your signature on..Try to contact Effiong a human right lawyer on fb...he will assist.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by GloriousGbola: 3:45pm On Jan 27, 2023
gratefulheart:
arrange the document rightly. I can turn my neck.

thank you for this.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.

How did you receive the letter? Did you acknowledge it? Have you made noise about it?

If No...just ignore them.

Did they write to your new company? Is there any specific demand?

If yes... Get a Lawyer to write them a strong worded warning letter to steer clear of your business. Ensure you state your facts. Copy your new employer and the nearest Area Police Command.

Avoid employees of the company and be careful who you talk to.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Dijita: 3:46pm On Jan 27, 2023
Owaincouncil:
In your years of working with your former coy, don't you have any loophole that you can use against them like tax evasion(that's a great offense on its own..it is called economy sabotage) default in safety measure etc or you don't know anything there?
He is an engineer not finance guy. If he goes that route it may backfire unless he has documentation to back it up. Of course if he is aware of shade deal going on He can use it to harassed them to back out or threaten to expose them. That may hurt him with his current employer

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by hardbody: 3:47pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.

I did not have the patience to read through your attachment but on the face of it I can assure you that

a. This is an agreement in restraint of trade
b. The courts will interpret it fairly (you are the weaker party here, trust me)
c. Three (3) years in restraint is long, unconscionable and unreasonable. Any and every court will set it aside.
d. Try your level best to retain a solicitor, your case will definitely be in your favour. You could also look for something to counter-claim on, so that even when their matter is thrown out, you may end up with damages in your favour.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by abbey621(m): 3:48pm On Jan 27, 2023
Buddha3:
So you recommended a female for the HR position in your previous company, and today the same company is using the same HR to hound you with a court case in your new place of employment?

Serves you right!!

Motherfvckers like you will never step up and recommend a fellow man for a job even if he deserves and is fit for it. But at the sight of breasts, you created a soft landing for employment using the excuse that a church member recommended her. See your life today!

I wish your present company disengages you so you'll understand that a fellow man can and will always be of more use to you tomorrow. Most men never forget a homie who gives them an avenue to put food on their table. But a woman who's not a family member or wife can and will always betray you. Now her kpekus has given her access to the Lebanese owners, you go see pepper!

Hommer Simpson, Version 2.0!

Ode, what if he didn't have any male friend or family with HR work experience or education? Una go just open mouth gba like public toilet!

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by victorVIC1(m): 3:49pm On Jan 27, 2023
I remember a company I worked for sometime in 2017 came up with a similar contract that all employees were expected to sign. I had built good experience in the industry. I knew signing that contract implies trading my future. I called their bluff. I didn't sign. Towards ending of that year, I got an offer from their competitor which happened to be a bigger player in the industry. I sha thank God say I no sign that mumu contract.

No be joke when Bible say wisdom is profitable to direct. Let's be careful out there when signing contracts, even if the contract appears harmless. More advisable, you can have a legal expert review the contract before consenting.

Call their bluffs if you are sure the contract does not prohibit you from moving within same industry.

BTW, your new company does not have any contract with them so I think them involving your company in their case will not hold water in the court. Lawyers in the house can advise
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by phemray(m): 3:51pm On Jan 27, 2023
Office of the public defendant is there for u. The will carry your matter for head at no cost. Maybe appreciation sha,,

This is one of the Resons I love this man called Tinubu!! He thinks far or issues and provids solutions strategy. has was the 1st ever governor in Nigeria history to create office of the public defender in Lagos.

Or you just go to NLC office to cryout. So long u don't sign any bond
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by saintneo(m): 3:53pm On Jan 27, 2023
[quote author=Othniel4mi post=120419761][/quote]

Your situation is quite dicy.

Did you have an agreement with your previous employer that you will not work in the same business for three years after resignation? Do you have a documented evidence on where such an agreement is not stated? Also, are you a true child of God? (Apologies to those who do not believe.)

If yes, yes and yes; then my advice, is that you should not be afraid. Rather counter-sue the your previous employer for malicous damage top your reputation and threatening of your source of living. Even if your current employer does not want to be part of it, then you can let go of the second employment then seek another to which God will provide. Next time, do not update your circles on your new job.

If no, N/A and N/A, then go and look for employment in another kind of business.

Abeg, no disturb yourself for employment of 150k, please channel this to God. Always read the T&Cs of the offers you receive.

My personal experience, in this our country. I once had an offer about twice my salary then; however, there were some shady clauses in the offer - I cannot work in the same business for at least 2 years after resignation, I cannot poach any of their employees after resignation, etc. My reply to the hiring manager was: This offer is like Esau's birthright and Jacob's porriage, apologies I cannot surrender the talent I have developed personally to your company. Within, the next two-three months I got another offer from a different company without strings and a higher salary.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Entanglement: 3:53pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.
first of all, you went and opened your smelly mouth bragging about your new job undecided

I'm sure you are yoruba by tribe, because you people can't keep your long mouth quiet undecided

Blabla bla bla like pigeon, even pigeon is more quiet than you people undecided

You want to oppress your colleagues or formal company that you have gotten a better job.
See were the thing come land you now! undecided

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by dionma: 3:54pm On Jan 27, 2023
Very porous case. Chat me let talk. You may have your counterclaim against them. I suspect they have also not fulfill the entire obligations under the contract.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by SmartyPants(m): 3:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.

You signed a non-compete. Be calm. The default position of the law is thay contracts in restraint of trade are null and void.

You can even defend yourself on this.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
Treadway:
Lol. You signed a non-compete agreement dude! It appears you don't know what a non-compete clause is. YOU CANNOT WORK IN A SIMILAR INDUSTRY/FIRM FOR A PERIOD OF THREE YEARS, UNFORTUNATELY. They will win you in court hands down.

You should not have accepted that job if it didn't have prospects. They got you real good. Wow!

So if he resigns, he should stay unemployed?
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by abobote: 3:56pm On Jan 27, 2023
And you have to find a way to make it Nigeria vs Lebanon. When you were working with them, you didn't know they are Lebanese company
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Prettychild(f): 3:56pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.
Where do you reside? You need to contact a lawyer around your axis
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 27, 2023
abbey621:

Ode, what if he didn't have any male friend or family with HR work experience or education? Una go just open mouth gba like public toilet!

Na your papa dey open mouth like public toilet!

Idiot!

Did you not read through the thread to see where he said the lady was recommended by a church member? She wasn't even his friend. So there was absolutely no church member that could recommend a male? Or there's no male in his church with enough education for the HR position? Fools like you enable embarrassing habits in fellow men with lame excuses. I can bet an arm that the OP must have had the chance to give the same position to a fellow male, but his manhood had the better of him at that point.

You come my mention dey smell mouth! Sokoto Donkey!
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by drsibz66(m): 3:59pm On Jan 27, 2023
Bro fear not the case is dead on arrival. The competitive law DIDNT STATE 3 YEARS AFTER RETIREMENT OR TERMINATION. So the reference was to date of employment. And its even unlawful to state that you can't work in any competitive company or employment after retirement or termination. No human born on earth can denie you that right to work anywhere once you have cut ties with them. So there is no case. If you even look at the letter well all references were made to wards after training or appointment ie refund of training fee after less than 1 year of training.

There is no case here . The not eligibility to work for a rival was just for 3 years and not referenced to any date. And you already worked for them for more than 3 year.

Try and get you copy of that appointment letter and just just underline that clause.. no case at all. Even if, no one or group of persons can even stop you from working for a rival AFTER termination or resignation.

2 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by abbey621(m): 4:02pm On Jan 27, 2023
Buddha3:

Na your papa dey open mouth like public toilet!

Idiot!

Did you not read through the thread to see where he said the lady was recommended by a church member? She wasn't even his friend. So there was absolutely no church member that could recommend a male? Or there's no male in his church with enough education for the HR position? Fools like you enable embarrassing habits in fellow men with lame excuses. I can bet an arm that the OP must have had the chance to give the same position to a fellow male, but his manhood had the better of him at that point.

You come my mention dey smell mouth! Sokoto Donkey!

Werey read what I wrote again and then adjust your brain. What if he did not know any male with those qualifications? You even said she was referred that means he didn't actively sought her, are you saying if the same church member recommended a male, he would have declined? You're crucifying someone that you don't even know, based on what? You must be crazy Dotun!

3 Likes

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by thonylinks: 4:03pm On Jan 27, 2023
PAY THEM THE 20MILLION NAH AND LEAVE
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Agasco2020(m): 4:04pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.

Contact me. God is about to answer your prayer. Some people can make it through lawsuit.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Eagba(m): 4:04pm On Jan 27, 2023
Othniel4mi:

2. Only your salary

Please help.
bros get a good lawyer to study those documents , cos it cannot be waterproof
2 since it's a Lebanese company, they most likely be falling short of tax payments from environmental to labour to corporate taxes, bring this up in out of court settlement.

Find loopholes in their safety or waste operations and bring this up in out of court settlement.

Trust me some of these Lebanese company don't like government or public eyes being on them. They are always involved in money laundering and capital flights palavers.

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by icedbreez(m): 4:05pm On Jan 27, 2023
GboyegaD:
The good side in my opinion is that the non-competition clause did not state after 3 years of leaving the organization. Get a good lawyer.

You can't work in two different companies at same time so invariably that clause implies 3years upon termination or resignation.

Always watch out for the fine print. Only Lebanese and Indians can insert a clause from hell like that.
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Princelumide: 4:07pm On Jan 27, 2023
Just carry dem go industrial court... Shikena!
No long story...
shocked cool
Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by Dijita: 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2023
Dijita:
If you are 100% sure you don't have a non compete agreement, you can get a youth copper lawyer to handle the case for you. They are probably trying to harass you and your employer. Did you states your reason for resigning as non payment of your bonus or other valid grievances in your resignation letter?

Even if you sign the agreement and you states that they did not pay your bonus in your resignation letter, It is enough to render the agreement void. It will be good if you have your performance evaluation handy. According to your employment letter, if your performance is good and your were not paid anything as bonus you have a case. if they pay you #50, they have fulfil that obligation. It would be helpful if you can get testimonies from the client you handle their projects while working for them. If you have financial data of how much you made for them that will be helpful.
Remember you don't have money, you are going for equity. He who goes to equity must go with clean hand. Don't lie and stick with the truth. The truth you think will harm you may end up helping you.
The fact they did not train you is not a reason to violate non compete agreement. They did not promised to train you. If they don't pay your salary as at when due. It is a breach of contract on their part and that void the contract unless it is already stated in your employment contract.

Get a lawyer that just pass bar and let he/she request for your employment contract including the none compete agreement. Ask for the company financial documents for the period you work with them including bank statements to see if they have reason not to pay you bonus. The moment you start asking for financial documents for auditors to calculate how much your skill contributed to the company and you are been paid #150k. They will back down.

Many people will graduate law school and be earning #50k a month in a country where majority are been exploited when they can make more with small cases by self employee.

Honestly, I don't understand why your company can't exploit this case to expose themselves as David against Goliath. Your company lawyer could have handle this case with little money and positive exposure assuming you are saying the truth.

Modifying my comment above. You signed the non compete agreement. They have a case against you. Unless you can prove violation of the agreement e.g. such as failure to pay you bonus while the company makes a lot of money.
Your stand should be they makes a lot of money and you don't know how much. Your lawyer should contends that they open their book for full audit to determine how much they made.
Even though you left after they violated the employment agreement, now that they sue you, you want your bonus and appropriate bonus can only be determine after the company financial performance have been audited. The moment you start pushing for their bank account statement, they are likely to back out

1 Like

Re: Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. by ghettochild(m): 4:11pm On Jan 27, 2023
westlius:
How did ur previous job knw where u working after ur resignation
This is the same question I was gonna ask.. OP foolishly divulged his new company during the time he was resigning..he must have told sm1 who sold him out..or the companies are both on the same street n he was seen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unilever Field Sales Officer Assessment 2016 / I Didn't Negotiate My Salary Well / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.