Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles (11703 Views)

GEJ Launches G_WIN (pics) / GEJ Launches Youwin 2 For Women / GEJ Launches Energy Saving Bulb To Conserve Power Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by ufumes(m): 2:58pm On Sep 08, 2011
Good one. Though this should have been in place all this while.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Sep 08, 2011
antonion:

that's a strong point that one there dude.  seriously cars are useless human beings come 1st

It is not that the rides are useless, but what data do yo match with the owners, when there is not database that link the owner to an address . . . . GEJ . . . . I hail
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Bawss1(m): 3:16pm On Sep 08, 2011
texazzpete:

It is far more likely that kidnappers and armed robbers will be able to trace their victims-to-be by merely copying down their license numbers, running the plate numbers through their cronies that work with the database and then pay the unsuspecting victims a visit.

As far as i'm concerned, the GEJ administration deserves knocks for security data management (Wait, don't call me a hater just yet!)
we have a very rich database of over 65 million Nigerians and their fingerprints, house addresses, photographs and biodata from the last elections. Why has no one thought to use this data?

Use of this data can cut down cases of armed robbery and kidnapping to a much reduced level, especially since we all know that a huge number of these miscreants registered for the elections so they could help to rig.

Good point. Perhaps the newly launched Db will be built from the elections biodata but I'm just speculating here.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On Sep 08, 2011
^^^ Nigerian population is 150M and yet they have info on less than 50% of the population and yet making noise?
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Pk001(m): 3:25pm On Sep 08, 2011
ideylaff:

Abi ooooo and the President is even announcing it, na mediocre thing we like to dey celebrate sha,

ok he has launched a db, to combat crime, is that needed on his face book

oga ooooooo

even a minister is not meant to list this as an achievement,

has he not got a lot on his plate, 2011 and we get this as a major thing, 4 our president to launch

if it was done we don't need GEJ to tell us, they should find one of the jobless directors in of one the Abuja parastatals to launch this not a president now,

haba,
embarassed

Exactly my concern. There are some things the president doesn't need to announce as achievement.
When they start working, Nigerians will celebrate it as success.

I actually thought Nigeria has had Data base for its vehicles all this while, Its a pity we are just starting.
Better late than never. Good step in right direction. We will get there one day.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Sep 08, 2011
Before you all start jumping for joy, and giving credit to this man, at least be sure he even innitiated this project because he is known to take credit for projects he never had anything to do with.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by fyneguy: 3:32pm On Sep 08, 2011
Good move, no doubt. However, a comprehensive national identity database system is key.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Fhemmmy: 3:35pm On Sep 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Before you all start jumping for joy, and giving credit to this man, at least be sure he even innitiated this project because he is known to take credit for projects he never had anything to do with.

Even if he initiated the project, what would they match the info with?
No information on DOB of people and the address or anything . . . I am sure that even the passport office is still using papers and nothing better . . . and for him to even announce this on facebook, he is really embarrassing us all . . cos the world will even laff to know that 2011 is when we are now launching a database of vehicle owners and yet Nigeria used to assemble rides . . . . and Nigeria is one of the biggest importers of automobiles . . .
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Okijajuju1(m): 4:16pm On Sep 08, 2011
Jonathan!! The problem is you surround yourself with dunces as special advisers.

How does this database help the already useless system in the country?! Lets start be asking where the previous data collected for National Census, Nation Identity card scheme, National Voters card scheme, National Sim card registration scheme, e.t.c. This sounds like another scam to waste our money, They collect these data, use them for whatever purpose they want to at that moment and then mismanagement runs it into the ground and everything is lost. Another administration comes and starts again.

My take is if they want to run a database, then lets get serious with it.

1. Start by trying to ascertain the number of people who provided true infomation on themselves on the current existing different  databases (Voters card, Sim card registration etc) by doing a comparison.

2. The License plate registration system has got to change. Rather than attach a license plate to a car, attach it to a person. eg. Say I had an Audi with registration AA77-ERD, if I sold the car to anyone, I would keep my license plate and the new car owner would have to go get his own plates for the car, or if he already has one, he would just have to go register his new car to his old plates. That way, when I see a car plate number, Its like looking at the name of the owner of the car .

3. Computer literacy!! Most of the law enforcement agencies still do paper stuff. I am yet to see a police station that has a computer innit apart from prolly the DPO's office and thats just for fun, I could up and shoot somebody in Port-harcourt and move to say Kano and be arrested there but they would never be able to trace me back to the crime I committed in port-harcourt because the police does not have a comprehensive national database system. You can imagine that a cop arrested a serial killer for running a stoplight, and only found out who he had arrested when he was being processed back at the station.

4. Drivers licence, This should also be linked  to the national database system, not this nonsense where a blind man got a drivers licence.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Princek12(m): 4:20pm On Sep 08, 2011
This database is stupidity at its finest. This is why we need true federalism in Nigeria, as the federal government of Nigeria apparently does not know its roles and all to often invades the territory that is traditionally reserved for the states.

Vehicle registration is a state function, so why in the hell will the FG launch a database to monitor vehicles registered by states? Why should the FG care about state vehicle registration? It is not practical for the FG to monitor all the vehicle in each state.

The FG should make a database for its citizens, immigrants, and secure our borders. The FG should deregulate the power sector and worry about fixing federal roads, federal airports, passports, visas, and so on. The passport office probably does not have a database of passport holders.

This okrika mentality sef
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by manny4life(m): 4:28pm On Sep 08, 2011
Princek12:

This database is stupidity at its finest. This is why we need true federalism in Nigeria, as the federal government of Nigeria apparently does not know its roles and all to often invades the territory that is traditionally reserved for the states.

Vehicle registration is a state function, so why in the hell will the FG launch a database to monitor vehicles registered by states? Why should the FG care about state vehicle registration? It is not practical for the FG to monitor all the vehicle in each state.

The FG should make a database for its citizens, immigrants, and secure our borders. The FG should deregulate the power sector and worry about fixing federal roads, federal airports, passports, visas, and so on. The passport office probably does not have a database of passport holders.

Just my thought;

Powers not delegated to the federal govt by the Nigerian Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively and or to the people.

If the federal govt follows this rule, FG WILL NOT be overstepping its authority. More so, states are so confused that they don't even know the powers delegated to them. If I was a state gov. ain't no telling what will happen next, I will ask the court to exempt my state from this treachery
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Princek12(m): 4:33pm On Sep 08, 2011
manny4life:

Just my thought;

Powers not delegated to the federal govt by the Nigerian Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively and or to the people.

If the federal govt follows this rule, FG WILL NOT be overstepping its authority. More so, states are so confused that they don't even know the powers delegated to them. If I was a state gov. ain't no telling what will happen next, I will ask the court to exempt my state from this treachery

Hopefully someone challenges this database scheme in Court, and hopefully the judges who will hear the case can read and have the apt to understand the Constitution. The examination malpractice rate in Nigeria makes it possible to have judges who are not qualified for the office they hold. That is why nothing works in Nigeria, because both our fed and state govt. apparently do not know their roles.

This database is another ruse for someone to chop money. If you inquire into the project, the contract was probably awarded to some IT consulting firm for $50m, the IT firm will make some useless database that a computer geek in an American high school can build, and the project will be abandoned in two years.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by ziccoit: 4:40pm On Sep 08, 2011
Point of correction pls, Gej Launches Database To sell to foreign governments in order to have more money to loot.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Demdem(m): 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2011
GEJ must be seen busy
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2011
GEJ launches database lol!

and the hackers are getting ready,
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Ladipodeal: 4:54pm On Sep 08, 2011
Car database should come after good street mapping, Citizen database. This wont work as long as these are not in place.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by violent(m): 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2011
Princek12:

I disagree with this.  

The principal objective of having a vehicle database in the first place is to enable approved government officials to track vehicle ownership anywhere within the boundaries of Nigeria, otherwise what would be the point of a database if vehicles registered in Lagos cannot be tracked in Gombe?

The state can assist the federal government in registration of vehicles and maintenance of the database, but it's ownership should ultimately be federal.  Governmental agents such as the Federal Road Saftey, shouldn't have to go though the balls of the state to obtain important information. If there's been an accident in Abuja and the vehicle involved was registered in Ogun, first aiders ought to have systems that would provide them with the contact information of vehicle owners or their relatives within minutes.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by chines4(m): 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The project was actually initiated by FRSC, Its not just vehicle plate numbers, but also drivers license. If you commit traffic offense you will be booked and upload in the data base, and you can't have more than one drivers license since the data base will use biometric system and facial recognition system. Since the National ID card did not work, let's hope that this will work.

And for ppl complaining that its late. Its still better late than never. Police equally need to have their own data base system for effective and efficient policing.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Princek12(m): 5:29pm On Sep 08, 2011
violent:

I disagree with this.  

The principal objective of having a vehicle database in the first place is to enable approved government officials to track vehicle ownership anywhere within the boundaries of Nigeria, otherwise what would be the point of a database if vehicles registered in Lagos cannot be tracked in Gombe?

The state can assist the federal government in registration of vehicles and maintenance of the database, but it's ownership should ultimately be federal.  Governmental agents such as the Federal Road Saftey, shouldn't have to go though the balls of the state to obtain important information.  If there's been an accident in Abuja and the vehicle involved was registered in Ogun, first aiders ought to have systems that would provide them with the contact information of vehicle owners or their relatives within minutes.

I beg to differ with you sir. States should be the ones implementing the database, because if each state does not have a pre-existing database, how is it possible for the federal government to keep track of vehicles registered in each state? Will Abuja ask each state to fax preexisting data of registered cars and new cars that are registered? As we speak, each state is responsible for registering vehicles of its residents. The federal database is therefore technically useless, because if each state has a database, all the FG needs is access to the database. That is how it is done in countries where their leaders use their brain cells. Bottom line is that this federal database cannot work as a practical matter without each state creating its own database, and if each state has its own database, all the feds need is administrative access to the database to verify a car registration if need be.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by splitnaija(m): 5:34pm On Sep 08, 2011
GEJ is very good at tackling abstract problems : -

1. If u live anywhere for more than 6 months, you become an indigene of that place bla, bla, bla
2. 2 x 4yr tenure is not good, let's make it a single 6yr tenure bla, bla, bla
3. DB to trace vehicles bla, bla, bla

Reality (nationwide) :-
1. Insecurity (kidnapping, Boko Haram & bomb blasts, Bank robberies, Assassinations, etc, etc.)
2. Inadequate (or total lack) of Electricity
3. Mass unemployment
4. Corruption and looting
5. Bad roads, etc, etc
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by chines4(m): 5:48pm On Sep 08, 2011
@Princek12 and Violent

I believe that I have settled your aurgument, Its FRSC that maintains the data base, and since all registered vehicles in all the state of Nigeria used FRSC plate numbers. Then the details of the vehicle will be entered into the data base before issuance of plate number. Beside if you change your car, you need to remove the plate number, and register your new car with your old plate number, and equally update your FRSC data base with the new car details
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by manny4life(m): 5:59pm On Sep 08, 2011
chines4:

@Princek12 and Violent

I believe that I have settled your aurgument, Its FRSC that maintains the data base, and since all registered vehicles in all the state of Nigeria used FRSC plate numbers. Then the details of the vehicle will be entered into the data base before issuance of plate number. Beside if you change your car, you need to remove the plate number, and register your new car with your old plate number, and equally update your FRSC data base with the new car details

Still does not change the fact that it's not within the jurisdiction of the FG and its executive agencies to carry out this function. While I applaud this measure, I strongly dispute that it's not within the scope of the FG to handle this issue.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by kosire(m): 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2011
[color=#990000][/color][b][/b]
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by violent(m): 6:15pm On Sep 08, 2011
Princek12:

I beg to differ with you sir. States should be the ones implementing the database, because if each state does not have a pre-existing database, how is it possible for the federal government to keep track of vehicles registered in each state? Will Abuja ask each state to fax preexisting data of registered cars and new cars that are registered? As we speak, each state is responsible for registering vehicles of its residents. The federal database is therefore technically useless, because if each state has a database, all the FG needs is access to the database. That is how it is done in countries where their leaders use their brain cells. Bottom line is that this federal database cannot work as a practical matter without each state creating its own database, and if each state has its own database, all the feds need is administrative access to the database to verify a car registration if need be.

I understand that an explanation has been provided by @ chines4 on vehicle registration, but as an asides, i'd like to address a few things in your notes.

First, there are 36 states in Nigeria, and for the exercise to make any sense at all, what you need is a global database and the ownership of that can only be claimed by the federal government not individual states. A global database will ensure that the officers on the streets of Zamfara can simply access information about a vehicle registered anywhere in Nigeria and so also will first aiders in Ebonyi.

Secondly, you don't have to fax pre-existing data to Abuja, all you need to do is to merge existing database with the global one such that all data becomes consolidated and not individually segmented.  A vehicle registration officer in Lagos can simply log in to the global database and supply new information on any vehicle, this becomes immediately available to every other accredited official nationwide.  

Asides from where you mentioned that each states are responsible for registering individual cars, you are yet to highlight the importance of state owned database over a global one.  However, it is important to also note that having a federal database DOES not take away the state's responsibility for car registration, they simply have to feed the data collected into a global database, it's probably going to take the official involved a couple of minutes to get the job done!
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by ideylaff: 6:33pm On Sep 08, 2011
i can bet my bottom dollar that this db is an excel spreadsheet knowing Nigeria.

Oh myyy Nigeria, Presidency, why is ds not announced by a low cadre office instead of GEJ bragging /looking stupid on his face book

NO CCT TV to track where the car was last spotted

NO device for the Police to check

SO if a crime happens in Calabar, To track the car in Lagos, The police in Lagos will have all the crime car numbers all over
the country to identify the actual car,

What a bunch of shameless junks leading us , and they went on and announced this to the whole world,

Please tell me how the Police with their half charged GSM phone will use this database by looking at the cars as they pass them, RANDOMLY

LOL

WELCOME TO GEJ's EXCEL SPREADSHEET, FRESH AIR THAT STINKS,

N' b4 u have a go @ me about us not bn gratefull, pls, I support laudable and sensible engagements, NOT A PACK OF LIES BASED ON MICROSOFT EXCEL 2007 WHICH I THINK IT IS
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by gabriel88(m): 7:08pm On Sep 08, 2011
THE RELIEVE IS NOW HERE. ORDER FOR UK AND US SIM TODAY TO CALL and RECEIVE CALL FROM YOUR LOVED ONES AT A CHEAPER RATE.NO ROAMING AND HIDING CHARGES.CALL NOW TO PLACE AN ORDER 08060865496 GABRIEL.Don't forget to let others know about it.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by Princek12(m): 7:27pm On Sep 08, 2011
violent:

I understand that an explanation has been provided by @ chines4 on vehicle registration, but as an asides, i'd like to address a few things in your notes.

First, there are 36 states in Nigeria, and for the exercise to make any sense at all, what you need is a global database and the ownership of that can only be claimed by the federal government not individual states. A global database will ensure that the officers on the streets of Zamfara can simply access information about a vehicle registered anywhere in Nigeria and so also will first aiders in Ebonyi.

Secondly, you don't have to fax pre-existing data to Abuja, all you need to do is to merge existing database with the global one such that all data becomes consolidated and not individually segmented.  A vehicle registration officer in Lagos can simply log in to the global database and supply new information on any vehicle, this becomes immediately available to every other accredited official nationwide.  

Asides from where you mentioned that each states are responsible for registering individual cars, you are yet to highlight the importance of state owned database over a global one.  However, it is important to also note that having a federal database DOES not take away the state's responsibility for car registration, they simply have to feed the data collected into a global database, it's probably going to take the official involved a couple of minutes to get the job done!

the importance of a state-owned database over a federal one is that the state is better situated to manage and update the database. And if each state has its own database it is pointless to create a federal database. All each state needs to do is provide an administrative password for sister states so that an officer in another state can verify the registration.

Why create another federal database when each state can maintain its own database that would be accessible by any federal officer? You are erroneously assuming that a federal database needs to be created, or that 36 states need to merge their database to one federal database, before each state's database is accessible globally.

Even anyone can access Nairaland from any part of the globe. My point is that it makes no sense. All that is needed is that each state can provide administrative access to its respective database rather than updating its database and merging the same info into a federal database. it is redundant and a waste of money

violent:

A vehicle registration officer in Lagos can simply log in to the global database and supply new information on any vehicle, this becomes immediately available to every other accredited official nationwide.  
violent link=topic=754916.msg9107607#msg9107607 date=1315502133:

That accredited official in another part can simply access Lagos's database to verify a registration information. Another global database does not need to be created to achieve this simple function.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by MarcusVick: 7:46pm On Sep 08, 2011
Cant believe everyone is lauding GEJ on this thing. SMH.
Can't u all smell a rat Like really Are Nigerians so blind and deceived Cant you all see what's happening
It called the POLITICS of CONTROL.

This is how it works:
Tout a presidential aspirant as a 'savior', get the whole country to love him, get everyone to 'vote' for him. He wins the elections. As soon as he gets in, terrorism rises to unprecedented levels, bombings every, people getting scared and more security conscious, people begin to demand more from mr president to protect them and their properties. Instead of mr president addressing the issue, he puts out a directive to get the DATABASE of people in order to link them to their cars-because of security (like that wud stop boko harm and shit). People love the idea because mr president is finally 'doing something' as regards the upsurge in bombing and civil terrorism.

Stop and ask yourselves, will this thing help curb terrorism?? Think before you answer and answer yourselves first before you post.
Ask yourselves again, what does compiling a database of people have to do with terrorism and solving the problem?? (i know a lot of smart asses in this place wud dole out rhetorics about how it would solve the problem, but they wud end up giving unnecessary details and fail to say how it can end terrorism swiftly).

First it was MTN registration, then the whole minimum Bank balance thing, now it's car registration. Why all the DATABASE business Il tell you why?
NEW WORLD ORDER, simple as pie. Nigeria is only trying to comply and fit in with the new order that is taking place in the world today.
For Nigeria to fit into the new system, everyone in Nigeria has to fit in, everyone has to be known so that everyone can be controlled.
This thing is taking root gradually in Nigeria. Your basic freedoms are being curbed to control you. Before you know, u won't be allowed to do somethings like make calls, withdraw money and drive ur car without being harassed, if your details aren't with the government.
Where is this all leading to?? Il tell you.
You are all being conditioned to accept the thing when it finally comes. When it eventually arrives, you wont be able to LIVE and EAT without the mark.
Think about this and wake up.
WAKE UP!!!!
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by werepeLeri: 8:40pm On Sep 08, 2011
Even if paradise comes to Nigeria - fools will shout and criticise it. Fools I said.
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by norrisman: 8:40pm On Sep 08, 2011
How dumb are Nigerians that they will fall for any small shakara use of english words? Beacuse some lokito have heard database they are jumping for joy and giving the president kudos. Is there not already a database of cars registered in Nigeria? You know when you buy a car and you go an register it at the licensing office, do they not enter the records such as name, address and registration into a database or is Retardeen telling us they just record it in a 2B exercise book?
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by werepeLeri: 8:41pm On Sep 08, 2011
MarcusVick:

Cant believe everyone is lauding GEJ on this thing. SMH.
Can't u all smell a rat Like really Are Nigerians so blind and deceived Cant you all see what's happening
It called the POLITICS of CONTROL.

This is how it works:
Tout a presidential aspirant as a 'savior', get the whole country to love him, get everyone to 'vote' for him. He wins the elections. As soon as he gets in, terrorism rises to unprecedented levels, bombings every, people getting scared and more security conscious, people begin to demand more from mr president to protect them and their properties. Instead of mr president addressing the issue, he puts out a directive to get the DATABASE of people in order to link them to their cars-because of security (like that wud stop boko harm and poo). People love the idea because mr president is finally 'doing something' as regards the upsurge in bombing and civil terrorism.

Stop and ask yourselves, will this thing help curb terrorism?? Think before you answer and answer yourselves first before you post.
Ask yourselves again, what does compiling a database of people have to do with terrorism and solving the problem?? (i know a lot of smart asses in this place wud dole out rhetorics about how it would solve the problem, but they wud end up giving unnecessary details and fail to say how it can end terrorism swiftly).

First it was MTN registration, then the whole minimum Bank balance thing, now it's car registration. Why all the DATABASE business Il tell you why?
NEW WORLD ORDER, simple as pie. Nigeria is only trying to comply and fit in with the new order that is taking place in the world today.
For Nigeria to fit into the new system, everyone in Nigeria has to fit in, everyone has to be known so that everyone can be controlled.
This thing is taking root gradually in Nigeria. Your basic freedoms are being curbed to control you. Before you know, u won't be allowed to do somethings like make calls, withdraw money and drive your car without being harassed, if your details aren't with the government.
Where is this all leading to?? Il tell you.
You are all being conditioned to accept the thing when it finally comes. When it eventually arrives, you wont be able to LIVE and EAT without the mark.
Think about this and wake up.
WAKE UP!!!!

You make no sense
Re: Gej Launches Database To Trace Vehicles by werepeLeri: 8:42pm On Sep 08, 2011
norrisman:

How dumb are Nigerians that they will fall for any small shakara use of english words? Beacuse some lokito have heard database they are jumping for joy and giving the president kudos. Is there not already a database of cars registered in Nigeria? You know when you buy a car and you go an register it at the licensing office, do they not enter the records such as name, address and registration into a database or is Retardeen telling us they just record it in a 2B exercise book?

LOL - you are the re-tarded one and no need to enlighten you. Keep living with your ignorance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Senate Considers Rejecting Buhari’s Ambassadorial Nominees / APC Organizing Secretary, Kawu Ibrahim Yakasai Kidnapped In Kaduna / Psychiatric Test On Police Officers In Lagos: Police Medical Team Arrives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.