Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,869 members, 7,844,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! - Religion (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! (119185 Views)

The Solemnnity Of Christ The King, All Catholics Please Stand Up!!! / Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (155) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 5:36pm On Apr 24, 2008
1000? grin wow that will b a long journey thru, but i hope we can make it.
viee i just dey my dear.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:03am On Apr 25, 2008
Today's Saint

St. Mark

Mark the Evangelist, whose feast we celebrate today, is sometimes thought of as the mouthpiece of St. Peter, with whom he was closely associated, and who, unlike Mark, was an eye-witness to the public ministry of Jesus. Mark's Gospel is economical, but encompasses the whole life of Jesus from from Bethlehem to Calvary. It's prime purpose is to proclaim to the Gentile world that Jesus is the Son of God. Today's Gospel takes the last few verses of Mark, where Jesus commissions his disciplines before ascending into heaven, forty days after his glorious resurrection.
Most of what we know about Mark comes directly from the New Testament. He is usually identified with the Mark of Acts 12:12. (When Peter escaped from prison, he went to the home of Mark's mother.)

Paul and Barnabas took him along on the first missionary journey, but for some reason Mark returned alone to Jerusalem. It is evident, from Paul's refusal to let Mark accompany him on the second journey despite Barnabas's insistence, that Mark had displeased Paul. Later, Paul asks Mark to visit him in prison so we may assume the trouble did not last long.

The oldest and the shortest of the four Gospels, the Gospel of Mark emphasizes Jesus' rejection by humanity while being God's triumphant envoy. Probably written for Gentile converts in Rome—after the death of Peter and Paul sometime between A.D. 60 and 70—Mark's Gospel is the gradual manifestation of a "scandal": a crucified Messiah.

Evidently a friend of Mark (Peter called him "my son"wink, Peter is only one of the Gospel sources, others being the Church in Jerusalem (Jewish roots) and the Church at Antioch (largely Gentile).

Like one other Gospel writer, Luke, Mark was not one of the 12 apostles. We cannot be certain whether he knew Jesus personally. Some scholars feel that the evangelist is speaking of himself when describing the arrest of Jesus in Gethsemane: "Now a young man followed him wearing nothing but a linen cloth about his body. They seized him, but he left the cloth behind and ran off naked" (Mark 14:51-52).

Others hold Mark to be the first bishop of Alexandria, Egypt. Venice, famous for the Piazza San Marco, claims Mark as its patron saint; the large basilica there is believed to contain his remains.

A winged lion is Mark's symbol. The lion derives from Mark's description of John the Baptist as a "voice of one crying out in the desert" (Mark 1:3), which artists compared to a roaring lion. The wings come from the application of Ezekiel's vision of four winged creatures (Ezekiel, chapter one) to the evangelists.

There is very little in Mark that is not in the other Gospels—only four passages. One is: “, This is how it is with the kingdom of God; it is as if a man were to scatter seed on the land and would sleep and rise night and day and the seed would sprout and grow, he knows not how. Of its own accord the land yields fruit, first the blade, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear. And when the grain is ripe, he wields the sickle at once, for the harvest has come” (Mark 4:26-29).
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:11am On Apr 25, 2008
hello house, fine morning to you all.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by cgift(m): 10:06am On Apr 25, 2008
Oby1:

hello house, fine morning to you all.

Oby1.

Good morning to you too. I don miss you o! How you dey girlie? We lawyer, ebos, orobo5ocl, viee, and co ? I don miss una tey tey! Have a lovely day ahead.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by viee(f): 11:39am On Apr 25, 2008
Goodmorn to you too Oby
Hope u had a gud nite?
goodmorn cgift, how r ya?
morn all wink

here is today's reading:

Reading 1
1 Pt 5:5b-14

Beloved:
Clothe yourselves with humility
in your dealings with one another, for:

God opposes the proud
but bestows favor on the humble.

So humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God,
that he may exalt you in due time.
Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you.

Be sober and vigilant.
Your opponent the Devil is prowling around like a roaring lion
looking for someone to devour.
Resist him, steadfast in faith,
knowing that your brothers and sisters
throughout the world
undergo the same sufferings.
The God of all grace
who called you to his eternal glory through Christ Jesus
will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you
after you have suffered a little.
To him be dominion forever. Amen.

I write you this briefly through Silvanus,
whom I consider a faithful brother,
exhorting you and testifying that this is the true grace of God.
Remain firm in it.
The chosen one at Babylon sends you greeting, as does Mark, my son.
Greet one another with a loving kiss.
Peace to all of you who are in Christ.

Responsorial Psalm
89:2-3, 6-7, 16-17

R. (2) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
The favors of the LORD I will sing forever;
through all generations my mouth shall
proclaim your faithfulness.
For you have said, “My kindness is established forever”;
in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
The heavens proclaim your wonders, O LORD,
and your faithfulness, in the assembly of the holy ones.
For who in the skies can rank with the LORD?
Who is like the LORD among the sons of God?
or:
R. Alleluia.
Blessed the people who know the joyful shout;
in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk.
At your name they rejoice all the day,
and through your justice they are exalted.
or:
R. Alleluia.

Gospel
Mk 16:15-20

Jesus appeared to the Eleven and said to them:
“Go into the whole world
and proclaim the Gospel to every creature.
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved;
whoever does not believe will be condemned.
These signs will accompany those who believe:
in my name they will drive out demons,
they will speak new languages.
They will pick up serpents with their hands,
and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them.
They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Then the Lord Jesus, after he spoke to them,
was taken up into heaven
and took his seat at the right hand of God.
But they went forth and preached everywhere,
while the Lord worked with them
and confirmed the word through accompanying signs.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 2:42pm On Apr 25, 2008
cgift:

Oby1.

Good morning to you too. I don miss you o! How you dey girlie? We lawyer, ebos, orobo5ocl, viee, and co ? I don miss una tey tey! Have a lovely day ahead.

I catch the greetings, infact i miss u self pass my lunch grin How r u and also pilgrim?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lindiwe(f): 3:23pm On Apr 25, 2008
Carlosein:

eewoo shocked, so you people had the party without me!

chai i missed y'day o.

anyway lindiwe, happy birthday in arrears o. i wish you many happy returns of the day,
long life and prosperity.

as for the cake i cud not download it on my system so i need a special delivery to my house.

yes oh carl, you missed out! i was beginning to think you went over to join pam in the da villa, i beg tell her to hurry up with the ichies,

tanx all the same for the belated birthday greetings, !
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lindiwe(f): 3:37pm On Apr 25, 2008
viee:

your welcome Lindiwe wink
whn r u coming back to Lag
we dnt mind a belated celebratn ooo grin
i will book the Mass for you aganist nxt wk as well.

don't worry viee, i'll be in Lag two weeks from now, i shall invite you all to my house when i'm around for a proper birthday celebration with my family, they won't let me be if i don't, so till then, don't forget to book my mass - you & Oby!

tanx for the daily readings, abeg keep it coming ok!

@all
i shall now be able to contribute during the day; our wireless in the office here has been restored, although i know not how long it would last,
have a great day,
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lady2(f): 4:14pm On Apr 25, 2008
Hello all

Have a wonderfully blessed day. God is all merciful and all powerful.

Peace be with you
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 4:44pm On Apr 25, 2008
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.

Lindiwe i wld hv booked d mass today, but i remembered that i don't have your real name (so can i hv your real name?) But all the same, may be i will just use Lindiwe (hope is ok?)
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 5:25pm On Apr 25, 2008
oby, viee, lindiwe and lady, where did u guys run to now?

been busy all day and just managed to squeeze out time to post this.

nwys i look forward to a reunion at lindiwe's when she's in lag to make up for my missed cake.

take care all and have a blessed weekend.

Glory to Jesus, honour to Mary!!!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 5:48pm On Apr 25, 2008
viee:

did u guys notice, we r on the 100th page?
rily kool and nice to hv u made this beautiful and long journey with u guys
wonda whn we will hit 1000 pages. . .
wow! grin

yes o and we shall get to the 1millionth page (God willing cheesy)
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 5:51pm On Apr 25, 2008
Lindiwe:

yes oh carl, you missed out! i was beginning to think you went over to join pam in the da villa, i beg tell her to hurry up with the ichies,

thanks all the same for the belated birthday greetings, !

i shall soon go and join her as soon as she gives me the green light.

oh how i miss her cos i am sure she would still be here at this time to return my posts.

well pam dearie take good care of ursef cos i miss u sooooooooooo kiss kiss kiss
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 5:52pm On Apr 25, 2008
well, see you all on monday and don't forget to pray for everyone else.

Dominus Vobiscum! cool
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by viee(f): 6:01pm On Apr 25, 2008
Carlosein:

Dominus Vobiscum! cool

and also with u i sapi talk am for latin but write for english grin

how bodi no mind me abeg! u go stil get dat call
wotz goin on?
work nko?
im so lookn forward to moro n nxt, will b d first in a while i wil b spendn at home
wishn u all a lovely and blessed wkend.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by viee(f): 6:07pm On Apr 25, 2008
Lady, how u doin?
Momsie nko?
glad to know she is gettn beta, His name be praised!
i will continue sayn the rosary for her complete healn. . .
hope ur kool

Lindiwe, really?
so that chinese can happen for real grin
please throw in few bottles of baileys as well wink cheesy
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lady2(f): 1:14am On Apr 26, 2008
oby, viee, lindiwe and lady, where did u guys run to now?

I have two jobs, they take up my time.
I will be done with one next week.

I am very tired.

Lady, how u doin?
Momsie nko?
glad to know she is gettn beta, His name be praised!
i will continue sayn the rosary for her complete healn. . .
hope your kool

I'm good, just very much tired,but the Lord is my strength.
Mumsy's betta, infact she's acting as if she didn't have surgery.

I really thank you all for the Prayers.

Hope all is well with everyone.

I probably won't post all weekend o, who knows.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lindiwe(f): 6:00pm On Apr 27, 2008
Oby1:

Lindiwe i would hv booked d mass today, but i remembered that i don't have your real name (so can i hv your real name?) But all the same, may be i will just use Lindiwe (hope is ok?)

Gosh, just saw this only today! on friday, after my last post, the internet started acting up, as usual!!!
so carl, i've been around, it's just the internet oh!

know what oby, lindiwe is one of my real names, so it's fine if you use it,
i don't want to post my regular name hereeeeeeeeee, butttttttttt i could post my number,
0803 - - - - - - -, i think it's time i removed my number! wink
so guys, text me your numbers, because your IV (to my little party) would come via phone call/ text  wink wink wink wink

hope you guys would make out time to attend

yeah viee, the chinese will happen to some extent, not completely shaaa, as for the baileys, you can bet!  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lindiwe(f): 6:16pm On Apr 27, 2008
Carlosein:

nwys i look forward to a reunion at lindiwe's when she's in lag to make up for my missed cake.

cheesy cheesy cheesy wink wink wink
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lindiwe(f): 6:23pm On Apr 27, 2008
~Lady~:

I have two jobs, they take up my time.
I will be done with one next week.

I am very tired.

I probably won't post all weekend o, who knows.

eh yah, take it easy girl! like you said, the Lord is your strength!!!

Men!, you're strong! i can't seem to cope with just one job, let alone taking up a second! i gon kpeme bi dat!

Have a great weekend all!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lady2(f): 2:28am On Apr 28, 2008
eh yah, take it easy girl! like you said, the Lord is your strength!!!

Men!, you're strong! i can't seem to cope with just one job, let alone taking up a second! i gon kpeme bi that!

Have a great weekend all!

Thanks!!!!

Guys I was a bit sad today. I woke up almost with tears in my eyes.
Today was supposed to be my graduation, but God had other plans for me. cry
But let his will be done.

But on a lighter note. My birthday is two weeks from today (sunday). I'm so excited, counting down and looking forward to my surprise.

14 days to go.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:26am On Apr 28, 2008
know what oby, lindiwe is one of my real names, so it's fine if you use it,
i don't want to post my regular name hereeeeeeeeee, butttttttttt i could post my number,
0803 ------------- wink grin
so guys, text me your numbers, because your IV (to my little party) would come via phone call/ text  wink wink wink wink

Good morning all and hope you all had a nice weekend as for me it was great  cool
Cool dear, i will text my number 2u.
Lindiwe? which state in Nigeria bears it? Whats the meaning? Have not heard of this name before.

I will book the mass today.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:48am On Apr 28, 2008
~Lady~:

Thanks!!!!

Guys I was a bit sad today. I woke up almost with tears in my eyes.
Today was supposed to be my graduation, but God had other plans for me. cry
But let his will be done.

But on a lighter note. My birthday is two weeks from today (sunday). I'm so excited, counting down and looking forward to my surprise.

14 days to go.

What ever that might have almost brought tears to your eyes, remember that joy comes in the morning.  Tears at times is a disguise to happiness that is to come and dissappointment as they say is a blessing, so cheer up wink

Wow! happy birthday in advance and many many happy returns  grin  This is going to be a double celebration, after Lindiwe's then yours, birthday batch celebration  grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:53am On Apr 28, 2008
Today's Saint

St. Peter Chanel (1803-1841)

Anyone who has worked in loneliness, with great adaptation required and with little apparent success, will find a kindred spirit in Peter Chanel.

As a young priest he revived a parish in a "bad" district by the simple method of showing great devotion to the sick. Wanting to be a missionary, he joined the Society of Mary (Marists) at 28. Obediently, he taught in the seminary for five years. Then, as superior of seven Marists, he traveled to Western Oceania where he was entrusted with a vicariate. The bishop accompanying the missionaries left Peter and a brother on Futuna Island in the New Hebrides, promising to return in six months. The interval lasted five years.

Meanwhile he struggled with this new language and mastered it, making the difficult adjustment to life with whalers, traders and warring natives. Despite little apparent success and severe want, he maintained a serene and gentle spirit and endless patience and courage. A few natives had been baptized, a few more were being instructed. When the chieftain's son asked to be baptized, persecution by the chieftain reached a climax. Father Chanel was clubbed to death, his body cut to pieces.

Within two years after his death, the whole island became Catholic and has remained so. Peter Chanel is the first martyr of Oceania and its patron.

"No one is a martyr for a conclusion, no one is a martyr for an opinion; it is faith that makes martyrs" (Cardinal Newman, Discourses to Mixed Congregations).
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:58am On Apr 28, 2008
Carlosein:

Dominus Vobiscum! cool

Carlos how r u doin, i can see u r missing pam grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lindiwe(f): 6:01pm On Apr 28, 2008
Oby1:

Lindiwe? which state in Nigeria bears it? Whats the meaning? Have not heard of this name before.

I will book the mass today.

ah oby1 you should know na! nigerian states are not just 36 in number, there are lastest additions! maybe you should update your knowledge of current affairs oh! grin grin grin

on a more serious note, dat's my real name! it was given to me by a south african lady when i was born, it means a long awaited child (in Zulu)

Thanx for the mass once again! May God bless you as you go about doing good to the least of His brothers,

got your text! i promise to holla!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by eagleroland(m): 6:13pm On Apr 28, 2008
Glory to Jesus! Very interesting posts on this thread. I want to clarify some things. If Catholics are a cult, that means all churches are cultists because all churches broke away from the Catholic Church. I am a Catholic, a very proud one, a Charismatic, a sanctuary of the Living God and a prophetic intercessor. I have no regrets and no complaints. I also have nothing to say about all the people insulting Catholics. May the Lord open our eyes to see, our ears to hear and our hearts to understand the things that are important.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by viee(f): 7:50pm On Apr 28, 2008
Oby how bodi sent u a tx on sat, did u get it?
hp u had a good wkend?
Lady, sori about your graduation stuff. . .
Carl & Pam wher una dey naw?
Imhotep, too? undecided

Linidiwe, sup!
found out my parish does nt book Mass funny innit?
so i called up my Mom to book d Mass for u,
She will book it 2moro datz d day itz done in her parish
got your no, i will hola u later!

eagle, welcome o
hope u 2 c ard more often
Glory to Jesus, Honour to our Dear Mother Mary

night all! kiss
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by viee(f): 7:55pm On Apr 28, 2008
Lindiwe is a Zulu name?
wow!
make una help me thnak God ooo
i get one Zulu movie and hv been lookn for interpreter
see as God just provide one for me! cheesy

b t w, Oby u will hv to edit your post to remove our Zulu sis grin no
Lady, hapi hapi bday to u in advance
we will join u in d countdown
since we xpect Chinese, Moet and Baileys from Lindiwe
shld we prepare for Indian cusine for urs, with Pami of course grin

alrite, gotta run!
na night!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:26am On Apr 29, 2008
Lindiwe:

ah oby1 you should know na! nigerian states are not just 36 in number, there are lastest additions! maybe you should update your knowledge of current affairs oh! grin grin grin

on a more serious note, that's my real name! it was given to me by a south african lady when i was born, it means a long awaited child (in Zulu)

Thanx for the mass once again! May God bless you as you go about doing good to the least of His brothers,

got your text! i promise to holla!

Long awaited child (in igbo i think is Ogechi) grin
Thx for your call Oge grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:30am On Apr 29, 2008
eagleroland:

Glory to Jesus! Very interesting posts on this thread. I want to clarify some things. If Catholics are a cult, that means all churches are cultists because all churches broke away from the Catholic Church. I am a Catholic, a very proud one, a Charismatic, a sanctuary of the Living God and a prophetic intercessor. I have no regrets and no complaints. I also have nothing to say about all the people insulting Catholics. May the Lord open our eyes to see, our ears to hear and our hearts to understand the things that are important.

Hello Eagle! welcome in the midst of your brethrens, just like Viee said hope we will be seeing more of you. Glory to Jesus and Honour to the great intercessor our Mother Mary. Praise God!!!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:32am On Apr 29, 2008
viee:

Oby how bodi sent u a tx on sat, did u get it?
hp u had a good wkend?
Lady, sori about your graduation stuff. . .
Carl & Pam wher una dey naw?
Imhotep, too? undecided

Linidiwe, sup!
found out my parish does nt book Mass funny innit?
so i called up my Mom to book d Mass for u,
She will book it 2moro datz d day itz done in her parish
got your no, i will hola u later!

eagle, welcome o
hope you to c ard more often
Glory to Jesus, Honour to our Dear Mother Mary

night all! kiss

Hello Viee i got your txt thanks and i tried to reply back but network was something else, but i sent you an offline message thru messenger, hope u got it too.
How work? seems u closed late yesterday. Have a great day.

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (155) (Reply)

"Corpse Refused To Be Buried Takes Villagers To The House Of Its Killer". Photos / Female Pastor Dumps Church, Becomes A Stripper In US (Photos) / Anita Oyakhilome Remarries - Dawn-To-Dusk News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.