Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,219 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Does The Soul Exist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Soul Exist? (3101 Views)

What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria / Seun Doesn't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 7:10pm On Feb 11, 2023
MightySparrow:

I like your explanation. Truth can be gleaned from the things that happen as well as things that don't.
I was in a class one day, a Bible teaching class,.
Our resource person retorted that we should not believe in the nonsense of the soul travel professed by some cults.

Incidentally, a many was there from another ministry, a new convert who was just coming out of Eckamker or Grail Message ( I can't remember which one).

This man angrily answered our teacher that she should not talk about what she knows nothing about. That it was what he had practiced for about fifteen years.

When someone leaves his body consciously, which part of him goes out?

What is a soul?

So you took the word of an ex-ECK over your teacher?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 7:16pm On Feb 11, 2023
LordReed:

I ask the question because you say dead matter needs some kind of indwelling before it lives, if that was the case then life wouldn't require the chemical functions, the so called soul should be able to power a body without them shouldn't it?

Also another corollary would be so do you think multicellular microscopic organisms have a soul or do you consider them as non living things?

I don't understand what you mean by "None of us experiences ourselves as a body". I've never heard anybody describe their experiences as something exclusively happening to their body but not to them unless the person was feeling some sort of detachment. Are you saying feeling a sense of detachment is what everybody feels normally?

BTW I think we have discussed this before, there is no "physical seat of consciousness" its an irrelevant question once you understand that consciousness is an emergent property that is based largely about the brain but is an amalgation of all the body's biological functions.
@ the bolded. Some schizophrenic and manic patients have described themselves as such. There's a reason they are mentally unbalanced angry
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 7:46pm On Feb 11, 2023
jaephoenix:

So who created the souls(if it existed)?

Souls emanate from that primordial living substance which is at the root of reality.

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by KnownUnknown: 8:15pm On Feb 11, 2023
DeepSight:

Souls emanate from that primordial living substance which is at the root of reality.

Thetans emanate from the essence of existence that permeates all things.

Emis evolve out of the quintessence of being.

Lukas are derived from the eternal substrate of the whole.

Rashis are radiated from the Core that exudes life.

Buutkus is a natural phenomenon of the quiddity of reality.

https://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.html

Although bullshit is common in everyday life and has attracted attention from philosophers, its reception (critical or ingenuous) has not, to our knowledge, been subject to empirical investigation. Here we focus on pseudo-profound bullshit, which consists of seemingly impressive assertions that are presented as true and meaningful but are actually vacuous.

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 8:24pm On Feb 11, 2023
jaephoenix:

So you took the word of an ex-ECK over your teacher?

Yes, what is your take?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 8:28pm On Feb 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

Thetans emanate from the essence of existence that permeates all things.

Emis evolve out of the quintessence of being.

Lukas are derived from the eternal substrate of the whole.

Rashis are radiated from the Core that exudes life.

Buutkus is a natural phenomenon of the quiddity of reality.

https://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.html

Although bullshit is common in everyday life and has attracted attention from philosophers, its reception (critical or ingenuous) has not, to our knowledge, been subject to empirical investigation. Here we focus on pseudo-profound bullshit, which consists of seemingly impressive assertions that are presented as true and meaningful but are actually vacuous.

Perfect. Happy?

Look, mockery is easy. Serious engagement and interrogation is not.

PS: That question did not emanate from you, and I would not in a zillion years have addressed that answer to you. That answer was not an answer that discusses the topic here as a matter of fact.

Sadly, you begin to remind me of a poster years ago called Logicboy. Everything for him was mockery and derision. Unfortunately I am not able to engage at that level (even where the mocker is right). There was another one called Mudley who had a similar attitude.

You are a much more serious mind than either of those and it would be a pity to see you decide to reduce serious discourses to that level alone.
Enjoy.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 8:36pm On Feb 11, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Then you don't need me after all you don't need those deceiving themselves! wink

I know a number of people that have left your organization in search of truth or truer truth than the one you profess. Some born into it. A number you shunned or disfellowshipped. Your junior judge, GB, Has disqualified them from the truth and God's Kingddm

What is the truth?
grin grin grin
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 9:01pm On Feb 11, 2023
justcool:
Almost all religious beliefs are predicated on the existence of the soul, our nonphysical essences that outlive our physical bodies.

But does the soul really exist or is it just a superstitious figment of our imagination? How do we arrive at the truth of this matter? Here science cannot come to our rescue because being limited to the physical, science cannot venture into the nonphysical. Hence this is question each individual must confront personally.

Join us, let’s reflect on this issue and see if we can arrive at a definite solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trUjJH8Izx8

Subscribe to our YouTube channel, and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100085740795386&mibextid=LQQJ4d

The Bible in Psalm 2 says, what is man?
This is a question for ages. Philosophers have have tried to unravel the mystery of man. Science is looking for man is test tube.
Religionists are giving varying definitions.
The question still remains when a person dies all anatomical parts are intact. Yet here lies a lifeless person.

The question is what is life.
Then what is soul?

What is the essence of of life? Where does life resident in man? When does it enter.

No one really knows is my conclusion.

I have personally read about it. Listen to great minds across many religions.

As a christian I watched some Rabbis discuss about it because the Bible itself is majorly their history and philosophy and reality. They say some funny things about the soul.

However, I believe that soul is the real man: what binds the spirit and the eathen vessel we are. At death the spirit departs, body drops.
Soul continues to live. Where, how, I don't know.

The best book I think I have read about it is one [i]The Spiritual Man [/i]by Watchman Nee...
I didn't finish the book o. But makes some sense.

My personal truth
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:25pm On Feb 11, 2023
MightySparrow:

I know a number of people that have left your organization in search of truth or truer truth than the one you profess.

Go and ask them whatever question you have i'm Maximus a JW for life so you don't need me! wink
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 9:52pm On Feb 11, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Go and ask them whatever question you have i'm Maximus a JW for life so you don't need me! wink

grin
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 9:58pm On Feb 11, 2023
DeepSight:

Also known as Bullshit

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 10:00pm On Feb 11, 2023
MightySparrow:

Yes, what is your take?
Apologies. Thought you are a Christian
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 10:21pm On Feb 11, 2023
DeepSight:

This is still weird. A body consists of chemical functions. Unless you are speaking of a rubber doll, what we are talking about by definition consists of chemical functions. So your question, via a loose analogy, sounds like asking if a man can drive a car that has no engine. By definition, cars have engines. This does not mean that men do not drive cars.

Save this, your suggestion would amount to suggesting that a soul should be able to power a rubber doll and bring it to life, abracadabra, without any chemical processes. My brother, with respect, what you would then be looking for is Chucky or Chucky's bride.

When we say that a soul indwells a body, there are existential, experiential, philosophical and scientific questions at play. We are not suggesting the sort of magic you allude to here whereat one seeks Chucky.

You are very correct, soul should be able to possess a Chucky type doll. In fact soul should be able to possess any matter for that matter. (Pun intended) Based on your assertion that dead matter needs soul to live, why can't any matter suffice?

Every living thing has some level of soul or the other however minute or differentiated in terms of specie.

So souls have levels and what distinguishes these levels?

No one experiences themselves as a body. We experience ourselves as a personality, as a personal being, and as a living and feeling mind. Not even as a brain, no.

Of course, we feel our body, but this is always a question of my body, or your body. You see that? - There is a sense of ownership. It is a thing that we experience ownership of. It is quite external to our sense of personality and personhood.

I don't understand what you mean by "We experience ourselves as a personality, as a personal being, and as a living and feeling mind." As far as I know we don't see ourselves as only disembodied minds, we see ourselves as both mind and body.

And why would you think we would only experience ourselves as a brain if souls don't exist?

As opposed to what? If you assumed there was no soul how would we address our bodies if not "my body"?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 10:24pm On Feb 11, 2023
jaephoenix:

@ the bolded. Some schizophrenic and manic patients have described themselves as such. There's a reason they are mentally unbalanced angry

Exactly. Feelings of disembodiment are not seen as normal nor are they even the general perception amongst most people.

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by A001: 11:24pm On Feb 11, 2023
Yes. Reality is multidimensional (not just four dimensional) existing in layers just like an onion has layers. The soul is the innermost layer or the core of a living being with the outermost layer (the body) a mere projection of the soul.

Applying the concept of wave-particle duality to a human (as an example of matter), the soul is a distinct kind of wave or radiation that vibrates at a specific range of frequencies in higher dimensions with the body (particle) its spatio-temporal (4D) component or projection.

The soul exists, but it's one of the vast amount of things that are filtered out by our sense organs from our perception. Thus, we're only aware of minute aspects out of the vast amount of information (data) in our surroundings.

Due to these natural limits, there are many waves (such as the soul), particles, and radiations in our immediate surroundings we can't see or hear.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 11:51pm On Feb 11, 2023
jaephoenix:

Apologies. Thought you are a Christian

Did you read the post at all?
Or you are here to criticize.
Go back and read it with understanding.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by A001: 11:52pm On Feb 11, 2023
There are upper and lower limits of the range of light wave frequencies the human eyes can see, and also, there are upper and lower limits of the range of sound wave frequencies the human ears can hear.

These are natural limits.

Much is happening in our immediate surroundings we're unaware of.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by A001: 12:03am On Feb 12, 2023
The soul is a person's innermost world, which is a world of thoughts, feelings, and emotions.

It's another realm or universe on its own — the inner universe, while the physical world is the outer universe we can see.

A person's outer world is a reflection of their inner world (the soul), hence the saying "the universe is mental".

It all starts from the mind (from the inside).

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 6:35am On Feb 12, 2023
A001:
Yes. Reality is multidimensional (not just four dimensional) existing in layers just like an onion has layers. The soul is the innermost layer or the core of a living being with the outermost layer (the body) a mere projection of the soul.

Applying the concept of wave-particle duality to a human (as an example of matter), the soul is a distinct kind of wave or radiation that vibrates at a specific range of frequencies in higher dimensions with the body (particle) its spatio-temporal (4D) component or projection.

The soul exists, but it's one of the vast amount of things that are filtered out by our sense organs from our perception. Thus, we're only aware of minute aspects out of the vast amount of information (data) in our surroundings.

Due to these natural limits, there are many waves (such as the soul), particles, and radiations in our immediate surroundings we can't see or hear.

What frequency does the soul vibrate at?

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 8:01am On Feb 12, 2023
LordReed:

You are very correct, soul should be able to possess a Chucky type doll. In fact soul should be able to possess any matter for that matter. (Pun intended) Based on your assertion that dead matter needs soul to live, why can't any matter suffice?

This is too funny for me to properly respond to. I can only say that the fact that one believes in the existence of a soul does not mean that one subscribes to voodoo or magic. I will also plead with you not to absurdify the discussion. Because there is nothing wrong in saying that there are certain requirements for a body which a soul can inhabit, just as surely as there are certain requirements for the sort of computer hardware that the software can operate in. You are virtually asking why computer software cannot operate on a bare piece of plastic or wood.

So souls have levels and what distinguishes these levels?

This is my personal perception. Just as the software which may be required to operate a small machine like a Gameboy will be different from that required to operate Deep Blue or a Space Mission. In the same way, the intangible software of an ant is unlikely to be of the same cadre as that of a man. Again, just my personal perception.

I don't understand what you mean by "We experience ourselves as a personality, as a personal being, and as a living and feeling mind." As far as I know we don't see ourselves as only disembodied minds, we see ourselves as both mind and body.

You dont see your hand, for example, as a part of your inner personality. It is a tool, and you know it.

And why would you think we would only experience ourselves as a brain if souls don't exist?

Frankly, I dont even think it is possible to conceive of one existing at all without the fundamental inner aspect of being.
Without that, everything physical would at once be meaningless.

As opposed to what? If you assumed there was no soul how would we address our bodies if not "my body"?

You would address it as "me" or "I".
But there is a sense of ownership over it by your inward mind, and thus you will see it as "yours" - - - you will address it as "my" body.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 8:05am On Feb 12, 2023
A001:

Beautiful.
And when one considers the experiential aspect of our existence, it is baffling that anyone would laugh or mock the idea of the existence of a soul - even if they don't agree with it. They should at the minimum see that there is a serious question there to be dwelt upon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 8:21am On Feb 12, 2023
Let me just add that being an atheist does not mean that one must necessarily be a strict materialist - that is, one who says that only the physical exists. There are many thoughtful atheists who are not strict materialists.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Workch: 8:37am On Feb 12, 2023
Definition of soul: the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

Nope, there's no evidence that such phenomenon exist
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:04am On Feb 12, 2023
Workch:
Definition of soul: the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

Nope, there's no evidence that such phenomenon exist

Let's leave out the "immortal" aspect - because that is something which will remain well beyond knowability even if one were to agree that souls exist. Lets just consider the question: given the nature of the human being, and the nature of human experience -

1. Does it stand to reason to suggest that the functions of the human body work for the human body itself - and not for an experiencing being therein?
2. Does it not stand to reason to say that there indeed must be an intangible (non-physical) aspect to the human being?
3. And that such an aspect is the inward, or inner being or mind?
4. And thus that the experiential aspect of being human renders such a notion probable and plausible?

Let me ask you something simple and direct. Do you have an inner mind?
A place within you where ideas, thoughts, emotions, dreams and hopes form and dwell?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by orisa37: 9:55am On Feb 12, 2023
YES.
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE LIFE IN YOU, YOUR SOUL LIVES AND EXISTS.

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Workch: 10:13am On Feb 12, 2023
DeepSight:

Let's leave out the "immortal" aspect - because that is something which will remain well beyond knowability even if one were to agree that souls exist. Lets just consider the question: given the nature of the human being, and the nature of human experience -

1. Does it stand to reason to suggest that the functions of the human body work for the human body itself - and not for an experiencing being therein?
2. Does it not stand to reason to say that there indeed must be an intangible (non-physical) aspect to the human being?
3. And that such an aspect is the inward, or inner being or mind?
4. And thus that the experiential aspect of being human renders such a notion probable and plausible?

Let me ask you something simple and direct. Do you have an inner mind?
A place within you where ideas, thoughts, emotions, dreams and hopes form and dwell?

I don't have strength for long arguments, do you have evidence that souls exist. Please put it forward, don't ask me loaded questions

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 10:19am On Feb 12, 2023
Workch:
I don't have strength for long arguments, do you have evidence that souls exist. Please put it forward, don't ask me loaded questions

"Loaded questions?" Lazy man.

You see, this is just as expectedly lazy as those opponents of Intelligent Design who look everywhere in the world, and behold the most baffling and intricate spectacles, such as the super computer that is the human brain - and then declare - "there is no evidence for design anywhere! If you have the evidence, present it!"
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Workch: 10:25am On Feb 12, 2023
DeepSight:

"Loaded questions?" Lazy man.

You see, this is just as expectedly lazy as those opponents of Intelligent Design who look everywhere in the world, and behold the most baffling and intricate spectacles, such as the super computer that is the human brain - and then declare - "there is no evidence for design anywhere! If you have the evidence, present it!"
do you have evidence for soul?

Why do you lots just argue endlessly on this space for what you do not have evidence for?

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 10:29am On Feb 12, 2023
Workch:
do you have evidence for soul?

Why do you lots just argue endlessly on this space for what you do not have evidence for?

There is abundant evidence but if you can't face the the Kindergarten questions, sorry, you cant graduate to primary school.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Workch: 10:33am On Feb 12, 2023
DeepSight:

There is abundant evidence but if you can't face the the Kindergarten questions, sorry, you cant graduate to primary school.
So why is it difficult for to point to one evidence instead of trying to engage me in endless and pointless arguments?

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by correctguy101(m): 10:42am On Feb 12, 2023
Yes and no.

@Deepsight nice one.

@Workch, is the mind a product of the chemical functions going on in the brain? I am as lazy as you are when it comes to lenghty talks but do answer me or just share with this ancestor what you think the mind is.

And please, that definition you gave of what the soul is, is erroneous.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Workch: 10:43am On Feb 12, 2023
correctguy101:
Yes and no.

@Deepsight nice one.

@Workch, is the mind a product of the chemical functions going on in the brain? I am as lazy as you are when it comes to lenghty talks but do answer me or just share with this ancestor what you think the mind is.

And please, that definition you gave of what the soul is, is erroneous.
the mind is the ability to think as a person. To rationalize things.

How does that relate to a soul?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Been A Gay Is Natural / TB Joshua And Chris Oyakilome Labelled By Cultists By Ghanaian Pastor Who Says H / Got Out From A Bondage And Entered A New Bondage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.