Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,878 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Does The Soul Exist? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Soul Exist? (3104 Views)

What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria / Seun Doesn't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 11:58am On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

1. It is not my topic. Not surprising that that would miss you. Just shows up what I already guessed - that you do not read.

2. You never made any input not to speak of "further" consideration of inputs.

3. Believe you me, you will not be missed.

Scamper along, little mouse. Go look for a school. You need one.

Badly.
Oh thank you, big one.
Next time you have a discourse worthy of input, do let me know.
And oh, try and read up scientific methods. I'm sure they taught such stuff in schools, but either you were out drinking or smoking, either way, you can educate yourself.
This is how a cretarded 'scientist' brought up this same soul principle, not only was he sure of it but that soul has a weight of 21g. Thus the infamous 21g experiment was born, which of course failed. He couldn't prove anything in the end. Same way alchemists proved they can make gold from other metals. In the end the couldn't prove nothing.
Ignorance is by choice. Be free to believe anything

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 12:02pm On Feb 13, 2023
KnownUnknown:

Lazy!!! How dare you!!!
I am currently using Newton’s superseded theories of time to create a Bible Chronology like he did. Afterall, he was infallible.

This attempt at jocular sarcasm doesnt work.
I retire.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 12:04pm On Feb 13, 2023
Trollronaldo:
No one here so far has been able to substantiate the existence of a soul.

All evidence that we have suggest that such phenomenon is as vague as flying unicorns.

People just want to believe whatever makes them sleep well at night, irrespective of what evidence says
Its what we have to deal with in Nairaland. All sorts of fruitcakes pop up with crazy ideas instead of checking in to the psych wards. Mental health is still an underdiagnosed and undermanaged branch of medicine in this part of the world. The problem is when the patient turns manic, they term it jazz or yahoo gone wrong, and haul the patient to a church or alfa

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by KnownUnknown: 12:05pm On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

I retire.

I created a retirement plan just for you.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 12:16pm On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

Plain simple laziness. Nothing else describes this.
How do you know he's wrong
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 12:17pm On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

I retire.
Same as yours, 21g experiment scientist
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 12:29pm On Feb 13, 2023
KnownUnknown:

Don’t worry I already supplied the answer. Frequency 1/137. Mass 1/137. Just don’t ask me to prove it. Lol

LoLz! I'm coming, I need to tune my soul spectrograph to those parameters. I hope my 1970's version is up to snuff. Bwahahahahahaha!
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 12:45pm On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

I had to do a double take at this. No known proper understanding of the "self" will admit of this. The "self" is, in all serious schools, a deeper precept. Even within the psychology of the being, you have Freud's ID, Ego and Super Ego. And within that set up, only the ID is considered the real self. It is bizarre to me that you can describe a hand as part of the self. I can't relate with this kind of "self."

You are funny. How can you recognize self without the body? When you look in the mirror or an image of yourself do you say that's my body or do you say that is me? There is no self without body, mind can not exist without body. They are inextricably linked. One of the ways of testing cognition is if the individual can self recognise in a mirror. Can a soul recognise itself without the body?

This statement is damning enough.

In what way?

This is confusing and contradictory. A mind inhabiting a body cannot be said to be disembodied, can it?

Well I have no other way to describe what you are trying to convey to me. You are telling me there is some independent component of the human that inhabits the human body. Though I made a mistake now that I recall you said soul was not mind so I should have said disembodied soul. Nevertheless how would you want me to refer to the independence of the soul from the body?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 12:53pm On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

Very well.

I had to do a double take at this. No known proper understanding of the "self" will admit of this. The "self" is, in all serious schools, a deeper precept. Even within the psychology of the being, you have Freud's ID, Ego and Super Ego. And within that set up, only the ID is considered the real self. It is bizarre to me that you can describe a hand as part of the self. I can't relate with this kind of "self."

This statement is damning enough.

This is confusing and contradictory. A mind inhabiting a body cannot be said to be disembodied, can it?

I noticed you didn't answer this question: What do you think accounts for the kind of trauma people undergo from losing bodily functions? Can you give an answer to it?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2023
LordReed:

You are funny. How can you recognize self without the body? When you look in the mirror or an image of yourself do you say that's my body or do you say that is me? There is no self without body, mind can not exist without body. They are inextricably linked. One of the ways of testing cognition is if the individual can self recognise in a mirror. Can a soul recognise itself without the body?

Let me ask you a little question. Or rather, two little questions. They might seem strange, but bear with me.

1. In the absence of mirrors, do you believe men would lack self cognition.

2. In your dreams, do you ever see yourself? Think about this one carefully. I mean actually see a visual of yourself.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 1:30pm On Feb 13, 2023
LordReed:

I noticed you didn't answer this question: What do you think accounts for the kind of trauma people undergo from losing bodily functions? Can you give an answer to it?

Well there is physical pain, loss of ability, limitation and probably also a sense of being hobbled in any respect. Why do you ask this. No one denies that the body is critical and that feelings are intermixed with its functions.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 2:52pm On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

Let me ask you a little question. Or rather, two little questions. They might seem strange, but bear with me.

1. In the absence of mirrors, do you believe men would lack self cognition.

2. In your dreams, do you ever see yourself? Think about this one carefully. I mean actually see a visual of yourself.

1. Mirrors are not the only way. You can see and recognise your own limbs and torso and even when blind your proprioception allows you to know your own body. The reason I used the mirror case is because it is the easiest to communicate.

2. Kind of, I see my body much the same way I do in RL. I sometimes do have flashes of my face surface in dreams but it's not a frequent occurrence.

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 2:58pm On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

Well there is physical pain, loss of ability, limitation and probably also a sense of being hobbled in any respect. Why do you ask this. No one denies that the body is critical and that feelings are intermixed with its functions.

So you agree the mind and body are interwoven? If that is the case where does the soul come in? What it is functions? How is it independent from the body?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by correctguy101(m): 3:51pm On Feb 13, 2023
Trollronaldo:
nope, it's No.
Souls don't exist

Well you really won't get it.

I can't make you get it really. cheesy

Nature revels in it's variations and I don't expect all of us to have same experience. Nothing is really as it is. I say you're right and yet I'm right.

Here's my reason.

I have experiences to make me take this stand and in your own experience, such events that would make you hold such a view has never happened and maybe will never happen. Again, we experience this world differently

I asked someone what's the mind and he gave me some funny answer ( funny to me that is) cos the context we were discussing, that stubborn insinuation sounds funny hence this ancestor decided to stay clear cheesy

Now if I ask what's consciousness, what would be your answer?

Mind, Consciousness, Awareness and The Self, these are topics you can't divorce yourself from when you speak about what the Soul is. And all these are topics our current sciences are undecided on. Real sciences don't dismiss anything especially when there's such likelihood attached to it.

Again, I say Yes to the OP cos of my experiences, mind you, it was once a Maybe.

But it'll remain a No for you, and you're right also (hope you get)

Like the Chinese will say, "presently I feel my heart can accommodate mountains and rivers"...
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 5:19pm On Feb 13, 2023
LordReed:

So you agree the mind and body are interwoven? If that is the case where does the soul come in? What it is functions? How is it independent from the body?

No one has ever denied that the mind, body and soul are interwoven.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2023
A001:

You must be a clown. When you insult others, you get insults in return.

I'm sure your single-digit IQ didn't tell you.
Scroll through this thread. I never insulted you first till you insulted me twice, and your last insult was when you called me a product of a failed educational system. That was when I retaliated. Even at that you dropped insults after insults in the wake
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2023
DeepSight:

No one has ever denied that the mind, body and soul are interwoven.
Then how do you distinguish what is what? What are the soul's properties and functions?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 7:35pm On Feb 13, 2023
LordReed:
Then how do you distinguish what is what? What are the soul's properties and functions?

I can only render my personal perception in this regard and this is not evidence of anything to anyone. My perception is that the soul is the real inner being, the root personality that is you. Your mind is that property interwoven twixt your body and soul which enables your apprehension of the world, or your consciousness therein. It will house your day consciousness, your memories, thoughts et al. Your body, is, of course, your body, and is energized by your soul.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 8:21am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

I can only render my personal perception in this regard and this is not evidence of anything to anyone. My perception is that the soul is the real inner being, the root personality that is you. Your mind is that property interwoven twixt your body and soul which enables your apprehension of the world, or your consciousness therein. It will house your day consciousness, your memories, thoughts et al. Your body, is, of course, your body, and is energized by your soul.

But you seem to treat your personal perception as fact!

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 8:34am On Feb 14, 2023
@DeepSight

I dunno if I have asked you this before but have at it if I haven't: why does sensory deprivation lead to psychological effects? How does having a soul explain this phenomenon?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 8:50am On Feb 14, 2023
jaephoenix:

Apologies. Thought you are a Christian

Yes, I am what is your claim?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 8:55am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:

But you seem to treat your personal perception as fact!

To a certain degree, this is unavoidable for virtually everyone everywhere.

If you see something, you experience something, you believe it, it is a fact for you. Someone else can ask you for evidence, and you simply cant provide same. Thus it is not a fact for that person, but it will always be a fact for you.

In this way, I have deliberately refrained from bringing up again many of the things that make me know for a fact that the soul is real. These include various paranormal experiences, relating which, would be useless to anyone who didnt experience same himself.

This is a good juncture for me to say something important to those who keep saying "provide your evidence" - as though this is a matter of science. It is not a matter of science. Science deals with the physical, the observable. This matter is beyond science. Asking one to "provide evidence" is much like asking a person to provide evidence that he dreamt about exactly what he said he dreamt about last night. The subject is simply not suited to the misplaced shouts to "provide evidence." Indeed anyone shouting this must have badly misconceived the subject altogether. It is not a Physics class.

This does not mean that I do not believe that there is indeed much evidence, in addition to that which may be sensibly inferred both logically and experientially.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 8:59am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:
@DeepSight

I dunno if I have asked you this before but have at it if I haven't: why does sensory deprivation lead to psychological effects? How does having a soul explain this phenomenon?

Everything is intertwined, so I dont see the problem here. This is natural. This is the same way taking a certain drug can alter your mood or even temperament or even make you see things. Dopamine & Seratonin for example, are neurotransmitters that affect your state of mind. A deprived body would necessarily lack the physical energies required to hold the ghost within, and that ghost will bolt if a minimum threshold is not sustained.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 9:04am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

To a certain degree, this is unavoidable for virtually everyone everywhere.

If you see something, you experience something, you believe it, it is a fact for you. Someone else can ask you for evidence, and you simply cant provide same. Thus it is not a fact for that person, but it will always be a fact for you.

In this way, I have deliberately refrained from bringing up again many of the things that make me know for a fact that the soul is real. These include various paranormal experiences, relating which, would be useless to anyone who didnt experience same himself.

This is a good juncture for me to say something important to those who keep saying "provide your evidence" - as though this a a matter of science. It is not a matter of science. Science deals with the physical, the observable. This matter is beyond science. Asking one to "provide evidence" is much like asking a person to provide evidence that he dreamt about exactly what he said he dreamt about last night. The subject is simply not suited to the misplaced shouts to "provide evidence." Indeed anyone shouting this must have badly misconceived the subject altogether. It is not a Physics class.

This does not mean that I do not believe that there is indeed much evidence, in addition to that which may be sensibly inferred both logically and experientially.

This is the problem. You assert that you and I have something in common, souls, therefore there must be a way for us to both experience the same thing. You can't say you have a unique experience that I don't have and attribute it to souls, it doesn't cut it. If as you assert we all have souls then there must be a common denominator experience or whatever that we cal use to arrive at the same conclusion.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:06am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:

This is the problem. You assert that you and I have something in common, souls, therefore there must be a way for us to both experience the same thing. You can't say you have a unique experience that I don't have and attribute it to souls, it doesn't cut it. If as you assert we all have souls then there must be a common denominator experience or whatever that we cal use to arrive at the same conclusion.

I am sorry my friend, don't be mistaken: we have no common experience whatsoever! All experience is unique!
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 9:13am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

Everything is intertwined, so I dont see the problem here. This is natural. This is the same way taking a certain drug can alter your mood or even temperament or even make you see things. Dopamine & Seratonin for example, are neurotransmitters that affect your state of mind. A deprived body would necessarily lack the physical energies required to hold the ghost within, and that ghost will bolt if a minimum threshold is not sustained.

What I want to know is what you mean by intertwined. How can taking a drug make you lose control of your body when there some independent aspect of you in control? How can sensory deprivation cause effects that soul cannot bypass? I am assuming you believe the will is housed in the soul so why does it get overridden by the body under the influence of chemicals and other external inputs (or lack thereof)?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 9:15am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

I am sorry my friend, don't be mistaken: we have no common experience whatsoever! All experience is unique!

Bwahahahahaha! This is very amusing. You are reading the English words I am typing out and understanding them yet you say we have no common experience. This has to be a massive joke. LMFAO!

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:19am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:

Bwahahahahaha! This is very amusing. You are reading the English words I am typing out and understanding them yet you say we have no common experience. This has to be a massive joke. LMFAO!

It is not a joke. It is perfectly serious. Each experience is unique to the experiencer.

Let us take an example. You and I are sitting at a theatre watching the exact same movie at the exact same time.
You tell me - is it the same experience?

Another example. You and I observe a murder scene.

Yet another example. You and I eat the same Tobblerone White Chocolate.
You tell me - Is it the same experience?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:23am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:

What I want to know is what you mean by intertwined. How can taking a drug make you lose control of your body when there some independent aspect of you in control? How can sensory deprivation cause effects that soul cannot bypass? I am assuming you believe the will is housed in the soul so why does it get overridden by the body under the influence of chemicals and other external inputs (or lack thereof)?

I really don't know what else to say other than that everything is intertwined. The soul is not a material thing, and it requires the body to act in the world of matter. Material factors can inhibit the functions of the body and to that extent limit the access the soul has to the world of matter and even how it can act therein. One can go on to describe many other such necessary results of the interconnection, but its as simple as that really. Everything affects everything else and thus there is no point seeking to isolate one thing and query why it should be "overridden" by another thing. Everything has an effect on everything else.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 9:26am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

It is not a joke. It is perfectly serious. Each experience is unique to the experiencer.

Let us take an example. You and I are sitting at a theatre watching the exact same movie at the exact same time.

Another example. You and I observe a murder scene.

Yet another example. You and I eat the same Tobblerone White Chocolate.
You tell me - Is it the same experience?

LMAO! It's OK, I think I'll get off the ride here.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:29am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:

LMAO! It's OK, I think I'll get off the ride here.

I just don't understand what you are laughing at here. Do you mean to tell me you don't understand the subjectivity of experience?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 9:31am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

I just don't understand what you are laughing at here. Do you mean to tell me you don't understand the subjectivity of experience?

I am laughing at you telling me that subjectivity of experience means we have no common experience while reading and understanding the words I am typing. That my good sir is the terminus for me. LMFAO!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Banned From Heaven / How Do I Cleanse My Mind,body And Soul. / Where Was Daniel When Shedrack, Meshack & Abednego Were Flung Into The Furnace?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.