Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Does The Soul Exist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Soul Exist? (3047 Views)

What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria / Seun Doesn't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Soul Exist? by justcool(m): 1:17pm On Feb 09, 2023
Almost all religious beliefs are predicated on the existence of the soul, our nonphysical essences that outlive our physical bodies.

But does the soul really exist or is it just a superstitious figment of our imagination? How do we arrive at the truth of this matter? Here science cannot come to our rescue because being limited to the physical, science cannot venture into the nonphysical. Hence this is question each individual must confront personally.

Join us, let’s reflect on this issue and see if we can arrive at a definite solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trUjJH8Izx8

Subscribe to our YouTube channel, and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100085740795386&mibextid=LQQJ4d
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by justcool(m): 1:19pm On Feb 09, 2023
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Jamesbiodun(m): 1:29pm On Feb 09, 2023
Shao Khan- your soul is mine grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by fman(m): 1:41pm On Feb 09, 2023
Jamesbiodun:
Shao Khan- your soul is mine grin grin grin
gerover here!!!!

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 2:31pm On Feb 09, 2023
No, it doesn't

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:34pm On Feb 09, 2023
Of course there is soul and that's the person you know not some immaterial being.

For your information soul simply means the person for instance imagine if someone you know is involved in a terrible gas explosion that claims his face and body then he refused to die despite all the damage the explosion did to his body so some surgeons gathered round to save him but the just have to prepare another face and skin for him and after the surgery he is OK again.
Note that the new body will be unrecognizable but when he you carefully observe his thoughts words and actions it will remind you of your friend.
That's what the soul means. It's the body that sustains the person once he stops breathing the person (soul) is DEAD! Ezekiel 18:4

Humans have the power to destroy that body sustaining the persons breath but afterwards they can't do anything else {Matthew 10:28} if the person has a clean record God has the power to prepare a new and better body for the person to continue living! Ezekiel 37:11-13

May you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:55pm On Feb 09, 2023
fman:
gerover here!!!!

Achochoyukick!
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by KnownUnknown: 5:36pm On Feb 09, 2023
justcool:
Almost all religious beliefs are predicated on the existence of the soul, our nonphysical essences that outlive our physical bodies.

But does the soul really exist or is it just a superstitious figment of our imagination?

I won’t mince words. The soul is bullshit. Superstition. Figment of your imagination. Let me present L Ron Hubbard, a man who had a very active imagination and a talent for writing. His ideas led to the religion of Scientology and most modern people dismiss him as a charlatan and his religion as manipulative and authoritarian bunkum. Ironically, members of the abrahamic faiths and other older faiths also view Hubbard and his religion as nonsense even though their beliefs are just as valid, or invalid, as his!!

If Jesus were a real person and lived in modern times he would be viewed the same way as Hubbard. All the creators of these faiths will be viewed as charlatans too if they were to pop up now and their ideas including “soul” would be dismissed as unfounded rubbish.

What’s the difference between a soul and a thetan?

Thetan, in Scientology, the authentic spiritual identity of an individual. It is similar to the soul, whose existence is taught by many religious traditions.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/thetan

In order for them to manipulate and bamboozle you, they have to create all manner of nonsense that don’t exist.

The god who is the boogie man, the sin that is the crime, the cure for the sin, and the entity (soul, thetan, spirit) that will suffer for the sin. All bullshit and that’s why they reside in the “non-physical” realm.

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:58am On Feb 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

I won’t mince words. The soul is bullshit. Superstition. Figment of your imagination. Let me present L Ron Hubbard, a man who had a very active imagination and a talent for writing. His ideas led to the religion of Scientology and most modern people dismiss him as a charlatan and his religion as manipulative and authoritarian bunkum. Ironically, members of the abrahamic faiths and other older faiths also view Hubbard and his religion as nonsense even though their beliefs are just as valid, or invalid, as his!!

If Jesus were a real person and lived in modern times he would be viewed the same way as Hubbard. All the creators of these faiths will be viewed as charlatans too if they were to pop up now and their ideas including “soul” would be dismissed as unfounded rubbish.

What’s the difference between a soul and a thetan?

Thetan, in Scientology, the authentic spiritual identity of an individual. It is similar to the soul, whose existence is taught by many religious traditions.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/thetan

In order for them to manipulate and bamboozle you, they have to create all manner of nonsense that don’t exist.

The god who is the boogie man, the sin that is the crime, the cure for the sin, and the entity (soul, thetan, spirit) that will suffer for the sin. All bullshit and that’s why they reside in the “non-physical” realm.

It is disappointing for you to have to reach as far as such a fringe modern sect in order to fully ground your ad hominems against the ancient and timeless concept of a soul.

The soul is the intangible inner aspect of man, and this is also not a foolish concept because men of all ages have recognized that mere matter cannot, of itself, be a conscious and living being. Mere matter is dead. The body is a self evident and obvious tool for an indwelling being. Every function of the body attests to this, including all the senses as well as the very facts of birth and death.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 10:58am On Feb 11, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
Of course there is soul and that's the person you know not some immaterial being.

For your information soul simply means the person for instance imagine if someone you know is involved in a terrible gas explosion that claims his face and body then he refused to die despite all the damage the explosion did to his body so some surgeons gathered round to save him but the just have to prepare another face and skin for him and after the surgery he is OK again.
Note that the new body will be unrecognizable but when he you carefully observe his thoughts words and actions it will remind you of your friend.
That's what the soul means. It's the body that sustains the person once he stops breathing the person (soul) is DEAD! Ezekiel 18:4

Humans have the power to destroy that body sustaining the persons breath but afterwards they can't do anything else {Matthew 10:28} if the person has a clean record God has the power to prepare a new and better body for the person to continue living! Ezekiel 37:11-13

May you have PEACE! smiley

I like your explanation. Truth can be gleaned from the things that happen as well as things that don't.
I was in a class one day, a Bible teaching class,.
Our resource person retorted that we should not believe in the nonsense of the soul travel professed by some cults.

Incidentally, a many was there from another ministry, a new convert who was just coming out of Eckamker or Grail Message ( I can't remember which one).

This man angrily answered our teacher that she should not talk about what she knows nothing about. That it was what he had practiced for about fifteen years.

When someone leaves his body consciously, which part of him goes out?

What is a soul?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:21am On Feb 11, 2023
MightySparrow:

You are a ready Nairaland teacher. A bird at hand is better than 10000 I can't access now.
I beg do your work.
...be instant in season and out of season.

MightySparrow:

I am proudly not among Jws. I admit my own truth and that is it. Pentecostal of the pentecost. I am not one of you.
Ire o. grin
smiley

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by KnownUnknown: 11:28am On Feb 11, 2023
DeepSight:

It is disappointing for you to have to reach as far as such a fringe modern sect in order to fully ground your ad hominems against the ancient and timeless concept of a soul.

The soul is the intangible inner aspect of man, and this is also not a foolish concept because men of all ages have recognized that mere matter cannot, of itself, be a conscious and living being. Mere matter is dead. The body is a self evident and obvious tool for an indwelling being. Every function of the body attests to this, including all the senses as well as the very facts of birth and death.

And it’s not surprising that you swallow everything hook, line, and sinker. I don’t care how many men or women of all ages have believed in a soul just like I don’t care show many have believed in gods, demons, and spirits. Just because people believe things doesn’t make them true.
You can make a thousand and one claims but you can never prove them and have to rely on gullibility and credulity.
Show me the so called Soul that powers “dead matter” then I’ll show you the Rumbum that powers the earth and keeps it spinning. Lol
“Bullshit” is always “intangible”, “ non physical”, “spaceless, timeless, and immaterial” but somehow it’s controlling everything in the physical world that doesn’t need it to function.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 11:37am On Feb 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

And it’s not surprising that you swallow everything hook, line, and sinker. I don’t care how many men or women of all ages have believed in a soul just like I don’t care show many have believed in gods, demons, and spirits. Just because people believe things doesn’t make them true.
You can make a thousand and one claims but you can never prove them and have to rely on gullibility and credulity.
Show me the so called Soul that powers “dead matter” then I’ll show you the Rumbum that powers the earth and keeps it spinning. Lol
“Bullshit” is always “intangible”, “ non physical”, “spaceless, timeless, and immaterial” but somehow it’s controlling everything in the physical world that doesn’t need it to function.

If with our interaction on this forum you consider me as one of those who "swallows everything hook line and sinker" - - - I can only conclude you have not been reading my posts and for that reason there would be scarce point attempting the discourse.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 11:42am On Feb 11, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Why not go and ask your pentecostal church members? after all you're not one of JWs so it's better you take spiritual food from your pentecostal churches! wink

You are a ready Nairaland teacher. A bird at hand is better than 10000 I can't access now.

I beg do your work.

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:47am On Feb 11, 2023
smiley
MightySparrow:

I beg do your work.

MightySparrow:

I am proudly not among Jws. I admit my own truth and that is it. Pentecostal of the pentecost. I am not one of you.
Ire o. grin

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by KnownUnknown: 11:57am On Feb 11, 2023
DeepSight:

If with our interaction on this forum you consider me as one of those who "swallows everything hook line and sinker" - - - I can only conclude you have not been reading my posts and for that reason there would be scarce point attempting the discourse.

I have read your posts longer than you know and it’s the same old shit and you do swallow things hook, line, and sinker………and sometimes you swallow the fish also. The only update is nomenclature.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 11:59am On Feb 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

I have read your posts longer than you know and it’s the same old shit. The only update is nomenclature.

That only makes a stronger case that there cannot possibly be anything new to add.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 3:14pm On Feb 11, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
smiley

Make you truth known na!
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by sonmvayina(m): 3:27pm On Feb 11, 2023
We don't have a soul

We are a soul....

Soul is the living human being..
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 3:37pm On Feb 11, 2023
DeepSight:

Can the human body cease all chemical functions and continue to be alive?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:38pm On Feb 11, 2023
MightySparrow:

Make you truth known na!

MightySparrow:

I beg do your work. ...be instant in season and out of season.
There are many teachers on Nairaland so if the JW choose not to teach you why not go for the others?
After all you don't want to become a JW, do you?smiley

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 3:47pm On Feb 11, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

There are many teachers on Nairaland so if the JW choose not to teach you why not go for the others?
After all you don't want to become a JW, do you?smiley

I forbid and God forbid!

Matt.18.18 Truly I tell you, whatever you forbid and declare to be improper and unlawful on earth must be what is already forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit and declare proper and lawful on earth must be what is already permitted in heaven. (AMP)
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:59pm On Feb 11, 2023
MightySparrow:

I forbid and God forbid!
Matt.18.18 Truly I tell you, whatever you forbid and declare to be improper and unlawful on earth must be what is already forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit and declare proper and lawful on earth must be what is already permitted in heaven. (AMP)

Great!
So you don't need the teachings of the group you FORBID! wink
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by KnownUnknown: 4:26pm On Feb 11, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6Y54mxjOg

I wonder if a soul or a thetan is involved.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 4:35pm On Feb 11, 2023
LordReed:

Can the human body cease all chemical functions and continue to be alive?

This an an odd question. Or perhaps you have phrased it oddly. For no one who believes in the existence of the soul says this. Chemical functions, as you know, continue even when the body is six feet under! - Through the process of decomposition!

What people who believe in the existence of a soul say is different and simple - that the soul exists beyond and after the death of body. This is because the body is seen as a mere physical tool for the soul. I personally see it as a clothing. An advanced biological one, yes, but a covering all the same.

When one looks at all the senses, this becomes very obvious. They exist evidentially to serve, not themselves, but to serve a being.

Another thing - and this I would have liked to mention to KnownUnknown also, save that I got tired very quickly when he said that I believe everything, hook line and sinker. This is the thing - the experiential factor. None of us experiences ourselves as a body. We simply do not. We experience ourselves as a being, a being with a body.

Save one wishes to say that the brain is the being - and this is a very vexatious thing to argue - virtually every single part of the body can be replaced and the being remains. In fact, much can happen to the brain itself and the being remains. The precise physical seat of consciousness is not known and this is partly why we still have the hard question of consciousness.

There are obviously many deep existential questions at play here and thus the minimum that those of you who are being serious and honest as discussants in this matter can do is to accord the discussion the seriousness it deserves rather than be offhand with it and act as though those who discuss a soul are either iidiots or lunatics.

PS: Reed - I do not say you have been offhand. I cant recall you treating the matter with mockery.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 5:16pm On Feb 11, 2023
DeepSight:

This an an odd question. Or perhaps you have phrased it oddly. For no one who believes in the existence of the soul says this. Chemical functions, as you know, continue even when the body is six feet under! - Through the process of decomposition!

What people who believe in the existence of a soul say is different and simple - that the soul exists beyond and after the death of body. This is because the body is seen as a mere physical tool for the soul. I personally see it as a clothing. An advanced biological one, yes, but a covering all the same.

When one looks at all the senses, this becomes very obvious. They exist evidentially to serve, not themselves, but to serve a being.

Another thing - and this I would have liked to mention to KnownUnknown also, save that I got tired very quickly when he said that I believe everything, hook line and sinker. This is the thing - the experiential factor. None of us experiences ourselves as a body. We simply do not. We experience ourselves as a being, a being with a body.

Save one wishes to say that the brain is the being - and this is a very vexatious thing to argue - virtually every single part of the body can be replaced and the being remains. In fact, much can happen to the brain itself and the being remains. The precise physical seat of consciousness is not known and this is partly why we still have the hard question of consciousness.

There are obviously many deep existential questions at play here and thus the minimum that those of you who are being serious and honest as discussants in this matter can do is to accord the discussion the seriousness it deserves rather than be offhand with it and act as though those who discuss a soul are either iidiots or lunatics.

PS: Reed - I do not say you have been offhand. I cant recall you treating the matter with mockery.

I ask the question because you say dead matter needs some kind of indwelling before it lives, if that was the case then life wouldn't require the chemical functions, the so called soul should be able to power a body without them shouldn't it?

Also another corollary would be so do you think multicellular microscopic organisms have a soul or do you consider them as non living things?

I don't understand what you mean by "None of us experiences ourselves as a body". I've never heard anybody describe their experiences as something exclusively happening to their body but not to them unless the person was feeling some sort of detachment. Are you saying feeling a sense of detachment is what everybody feels normally?

BTW I think we have discussed this before, there is no "physical seat of consciousness" its an irrelevant question once you understand that consciousness is an emergent property that is based largely about the brain but is an amalgation of all the body's biological functions.

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 5:39pm On Feb 11, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Great!
So you don't need the teachings of the group you FORBID! wink

Why na?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:03pm On Feb 11, 2023
I hate people who love deceiving themselves!

If you're not one of Jehovah's Witnesses and you forbid been one of us there's no need learning from us because Jesus warned us not to throw our pearls before swine {Matthew 7:6} surely you won't value it.
Go and learn or discuss or debate or argue with those you love their groups i am not your Papa Oyedepo! cheesy

MightySparrow:

Why na?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 6:19pm On Feb 11, 2023
LordReed:

I ask the question because you say dead matter needs some kind of indwelling before it lives, if that was the case then life wouldn't require the chemical functions, the so called soul should be able to power a body without them shouldn't it?

This is still weird. A body consists of chemical functions. Unless you are speaking of a rubber doll, what we are talking about by definition consists of chemical functions. So your question, via a loose analogy, sounds like asking if a man can drive a car that has no engine. By definition, cars have engines. This does not mean that men do not drive cars.

Save this, your suggestion would amount to suggesting that a soul should be able to power a rubber doll and bring it to life, abracadabra, without any chemical processes. My brother, with respect, what you would then be looking for is Chucky or Chucky's bride.

When we say that a soul indwells a body, there are existential, experiential, philosophical and scientific questions at play. We are not suggesting the sort of magic you allude to here whereat one seeks Chucky.

Also another corollary would be so do you think multicellular microscopic organisms have a soul or do you consider them as non living things?

Every living thing has some level of soul or the other however minute or differentiated in terms of specie.

I don't understand what you mean by "None of us experiences ourselves as a body". I've never heard anybody describe their experiences as something exclusively happening to their body but not to them unless the person was feeling some sort of detachment. Are you saying feeling a sense of detachment is what everybody feels normally?

No one experiences themselves as a body. We experience ourselves as a personality, as a personal being, and as a living and feeling mind. Not even as a brain, no.

Of course, we feel our body, but this is always a question of my body, or your body. You see that? - There is a sense of ownership. It is a thing that we experience ownership of. It is quite external to our sense of personality and personhood.

BTW I think we have discussed this before, there is no "physical seat of consciousness" its an irrelevant question once you understand that consciousness is an emergent property that is based largely about the brain but is an amalgation of all the body's biological functions.

Very well, lets leave this for now.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MightySparrow: 6:21pm On Feb 11, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
I hate people who love deceiving themselves!

If you're not one of Jehovah's Witnesses and you forbid been one of us there's no need learning from us because Jesus warned us not to throw our pearls before swine {Matthew 7:6} surely you won't value it.
Go and learn or discuss or debate or argue with those you love their groups i am not your Papa Oyedepo! cheesy

What if you are the one deceiving yourself with your community truth?

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:44pm On Feb 11, 2023
MightySparrow:

What if you are the one deceiving yourself with your community truth?

Then you don't need me after all you don't need those deceiving themselves! wink

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 7:09pm On Feb 11, 2023
DeepSight:

So who created the souls(if it existed)?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Have You Done For God Lately? / The Secret About Tithing You Should Know / The Earth Is 4.5 BILLION Years Old. Surely Many Races Came Before Us!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.