Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,204 members, 7,829,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Does The Soul Exist? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Soul Exist? (3110 Views)

What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria / Seun Doesn't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Maynman: 9:33am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepDelusion bwahahahah

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:35am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:

LMAO! It's OK, I think I'll get off the ride here.

The subjectivity of experience is elementary - and you are here laughing at it?

Subjective character of experience implies that the perception of all things, concepts, and "truths" in the universe differs between individuals: we all live in different worlds, each of which may have things in common, because of our unique perspectives on our worlds. The only thing to which one can hold oneself is something one has experienced or perceived. Until someone has had an experience of something the object or concept within itself is not "real." Someone in Africa is aware of the existence of fire and sees it but for an Inuit who has never seen fire before the fire does not exist in the same way. The idea of the subjectivity of one's "reality" also hints at an aspect of moral relativism, that each person's opinions are the only things they can hold themselves to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_character_of_experience#:~:text=Subjective

Is the above what you are laughing at ? ? ? ? ? ?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:40am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:

I am laughing at you telling me that subjectivity of experience means we have no common experience while reading and understanding the words I am typing. That my good sir is the terminus for me. LMFAO!

Does it miss you that we have even different perspectives on what you have written? Does it miss you that I am reading this from the top of a tree while you are writing it from the top of a mountain?

Look, the fact that we can communicate through common denominators does not translate to common experience especially when we are speaking about something as nuanced as the matter of the inner being - the soul!

If you revert to the post of yours which originated this question of common experience you will see that there is no cause for you to laugh. The sort of common experience you are looking for is simply misplaced. Because I mentioned that I have unique paranormal experiences I cannot relate and it would be useless to do so. You then said, no, there must be something common since we all are said to have souls. And I say no, each soul's experience is of course unique.

This is not the sort of thing you can compare with mere common denominators such as a written language or traffic signs on a road. You have to agree its far more subjective.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 9:44am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

Subjective character of experience implies that the perception of all things, concepts, and "truths" in the universe differs between individuals: we all live in different worlds, each of which may have things in common, because of our unique perspectives on our worlds. The only thing to which one can hold oneself is something one has experienced or perceived. Until someone has had an experience of something the object or concept within itself is not "real." Someone in Africa is aware of the existence of fire and sees it but for an Inuit who has never seen fire before the fire does not exist in the same way. The idea of the subjectivity of one's "reality" also hints at an aspect of moral relativism, that each person's opinions are the only things they can hold themselves to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_character_of_experience#:~:text=Subjective

The part where you ignored the bolded. LMFAO!

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 9:47am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

Does it miss you that we have even different perspectives on what you have written? Does it miss you that I am reading this from the top of a tree while you are writing it from the top of a mountain?

Look, the fact that we can communicate through common denominators does not translate to common experience especially when we are speaking about something as nuanced as the matter of the inner being - the soul!

If you revert to the post of yours which originated this question of common experience you will see that there is no cause for you to laugh. The sort of common experience you are looking for is simply misplaced. Because I mentioned that I have unique paranormal experiences I cannot relate and it would be useless to do so. You then said, no, there must be something common since we all are said to have souls. And I say no, each soul's experience is of course unique.

This is not the sort of thing you can compare with mere common denominators such as a written language or traffic signs on a road. You have to agree its far more subjective.

Guy it's OK. I said I'm done. LoLz.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 9:49am On Feb 14, 2023
LordReed:

The part where you ignored the bolded. LMFAO!

I have not ignored it at all! Rather the whole statement shows that even if you point out, for example as you did, that we are using a common language, we still do not have the same experience!

As it says - we all live in different worlds!
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by LordReed(m): 9:54am On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

I have not ignored it at all! Rather the whole statement shows that even if you point out, for example as you did, that we are using a common language, we still do not have the same experience!

As it says - we all live in different worlds!

Good for you. Thanks for the discussion and for now we say dasvidaniya.

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 11:15pm On Feb 14, 2023
DeepSight:

Did it occur to you, pharmacological agents like hallucinogens can also make one to have 'personal experiences' which s/he can use to make topics on Nairaland and call them facts?

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 12:17am On Feb 15, 2023
jaephoenix:

Did it occur to you, pharmacological agents like hallucinogens can also make one to have 'personal experiences' which s/he can use to make topics on Nairaland and call them facts?

Sure. No one doubts that. However this does not mean that drugs or other chemical agents are responsible for every paranormal experience.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 10:10am On Feb 15, 2023
DeepSight:

Sure. No one doubts that. However this does not mean that drugs or other chemical agents are responsible for every paranormal experience.
Did it also occur to you, they could be stories to garner social media recognition, followership, endorsement etc? There are many such profiles on Facebook dropping 'personal paranormal experiences'. If you believe one, then you have to believe all of them. And believe me, it has to take a huge level of credulity to believe those stories. If you wanna believe them, knock yourself off

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 10:57am On Feb 15, 2023
jaephoenix:

Did it also occur to you, they could be stories to garner social media recognition, followership, endorsement etc? There are many such profiles on Facebook dropping 'personal paranormal experiences'. If you believe one, then you have to believe all of them. And believe me, it has to take a huge level of credulity to believe those stories. If you wanna believe them, knock yourself off

There is nothing new under the sun, and yes, hoaxes and frauds abound.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 1:53pm On Feb 15, 2023
DeepSight:

There is nothing new under the sun, and yes, hoaxes and frauds abound.
You didn't answer the question

1 Like

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 1:58pm On Feb 15, 2023
jaephoenix:

You didn't answer the question

I did, and this is yet further proof that you either cannot or do not read.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 2:14pm On Feb 15, 2023
DeepSight:

I did, and this is yet further proof that you either cannot or do not read.
Or proof you have comprehension issues.
I asked you a question if you know the stories people tell are just fabrications. Its a yes or no question.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 2:15pm On Feb 15, 2023
Lets agree you know some lies. How do you know the ones that actually happened?
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 2:44pm On Feb 15, 2023
jaephoenix:

Or proof you have comprehension issues.
I asked you a question if you know the stories people tell are just fabrications. Its a yes or no question.

1. If you didn't spot my very clear answer, any further discussion with you is a great hazard for me.
2. Please I mean it kindly when I say your terrible written English gives me headaches. I highlight a portion in red above for your attention.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by DeepSight(m): 2:46pm On Feb 15, 2023
jaephoenix:
Lets agree you know some lies. How do you know the ones that actually happened?

I referred to my personal experience and immediately added that it is not evidence of anything to the next man, and is indeed useless to relate.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 3:07pm On Feb 15, 2023
DeepSight:

1. If you didn't spot my very clear answer, any further discussion with you is a great hazard for me.
2. Please I mean it kindly when I say your terrible written English gives me headaches. I highlight a portion in red above for your attention.
1. Your answer was vague in all intentions. This is Nairaland where people deny their answers and keep on dodging questions. So one needs to get a yes or no answer for these kind of questions. And you didn't give any. So please quit the dodging antics. All these hullabaloo would have been avoided if you'd given a clear-cut answer.
2. Can you explain what is wrong with that highlighted phrase? If you need English language classes, I'm too busy to give you any, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 3:09pm On Feb 15, 2023
DeepSight:

I referred to my personal experience and immediately added that it is not evidence of anything to the next man, and is indeed useless to relate.
Exactly. Its useless, thus of no basis to be used as a universal truth or axiom. And that is what you're projecting.
Imagine if I take some LSD and promptly open a topic here saying humans actually have 2 heads, but that science is yet to figure out the other head. Would you help me in promoting the topic?

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by KnownUnknown: 3:41pm On Feb 15, 2023
jaephoenix:

Exactly. Its useless, thus of no basis to be used as a universal truth or axiom. And that is what you're projecting.
Imagine if I take some LSD and promptly open a topic here saying humans actually have 2 heads, but that science is yet to figure out the other head. Would you help me in promoting the topic?

If you say it was revealed to you by an ancient Egyptian god or some other antiquated deity………some will even start quoting you!

2 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by Maynman: 3:43pm On Feb 15, 2023
jaephoenix:

Maybe they are even under the influence of LSD and other drugs for them to be spouting their “personal experience” and asserting it as fact.
Re: Does The Soul Exist? by jaephoenix(m): 6:15pm On Feb 15, 2023
Maynman:

Maybe they are even under the influence of LSD and other drugs for them to be spouting their “personal experience” and asserting it as fact.
Yup. LSD is costly. Even street drugs like crystal meth commonly known as meth in some parts of the country, gives some visual and auditory hallucinatory effects.
Also many people have mental issues. I have been on Nairaland for many years but sparingly vocal, but actively reading peoples' comments. As a physician with psychiatric inclination, I have diagnosed quite a ton of psychosis from just reading. I recently decided to be vocal. Mental issues are largely ignored in this part of the world, and depending on how wealthy and influential you are, you can go scot free. Many politicians, pastors etc are psychotic. There's no interventions til they become manic or less dis-inhibitive and most times end up in churches or mosques. Very less frequently, they end up in psych wards.
So lots of cerebropsychotic and pharmacopsychotic topics are on displayed everyday

3 Likes

Re: Does The Soul Exist? by FruitCakes(f): 1:48pm On May 16, 2023
jaephoenix:

Its what we have to deal with in Nairaland. All sorts of fruitcakes pop up with crazy ideas instead of checking in to the psych wards. Mental health is still an underdiagnosed and undermanaged branch of medicine in this part of the world. The problem is when the patient turns manic, they term it jazz or yahoo gone wrong, and haul the patient to a church or alfa
i need to change this moniker

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Celstial Church Of Christ / The Prophecy About Isreal And Gaza (from Quran) / Atheist Memes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.