Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? (11395 Views)

Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by Dada4me: 9:29am On Feb 19, 2023
No, not proper.

The Bible says bring ye ALL the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house.

Except you're converting your tithe to ALMS, what you give to the needy is alms not tithe.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by desiredhome: 9:50am On Feb 19, 2023
PointZerom:

Some churches have over 100 drivers,
over 30 cleaners, over 50 office workers etc.
Add the needy and the widows etc.
How can you keep over 100 drivers base on the contribution of the members? That is nothing but LAZINESS/unproductiveness.......
When I was a worker in the ......I wasn't paid salary because the work of God is voluntary, it is when competitions and church turn business centers that you begin to hear salary this and that......sad

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by faste: 9:50am On Feb 19, 2023
Angelfrost:
Gather and discuss what again?!!

This issue has been over-flogged needlessly on this forum!

If you don't wish to pay a tithe, then don't! It doesn't affect your standing in Christ!

Helping those in need is basically the foundation of true religion! Calling it tithe is your choice!
cool!
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by Lilfire(m): 9:52am On Feb 19, 2023
The Bible even say you can spend it on your self use it to enjoy your self use it to buy what ever your heart desires but pastor will never preach that part of the Bible because e no favor them Deuteronomy 14 vs 26
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by AngelicBeing: 9:57am On Feb 19, 2023
temitope27:
Tithes are meant to be paid by Jews and to the levith

We are not Jews, and non of our pastors are decendant of Levi
l am a Spiritual levite via the blood of Jesus, so send me your Tithes henceforth cheesy
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by Angelfrost(m): 9:57am On Feb 19, 2023
larry4ice:
I'm quoting this because I'm sure the writer has a lot of sense @Angelfrost

Thank you sir!
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by desiredhome: 10:02am On Feb 19, 2023
Is there any Sunday that pass without pastorprenours not preach tithe, sacrificial giving, sow seed, sow seed?........

Brainwashing is their tool ......
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by PointZerom: 10:15am On Feb 19, 2023
desiredhome:

How can you keep over 100 drivers base on the contribution of the members? That is nothing but LAZINESS/unproductiveness.......
When I was a worker in the ......I wasn't paid salary because the work of God is voluntary, it is when competitions and church turn business centers that you begin to hear salary this and that......sad

An usher is a worker
A cleaner is also a worker.
One is paid the other one is voluntary.

What work were you doing in the church.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by longview007: 10:26am On Feb 19, 2023
VERY VERY YES
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by desiredhome: 10:28am On Feb 19, 2023
PointZerom:

An usher is a worker
A cleaner is also a worker.
One is paid the other one is voluntary.

What work were you doing in the church.
No usher or cleaner/sanctuary are being paid in any of the winners or redeem business centers that I know.......I have been there and I know better......
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by yomisley: 10:36am On Feb 19, 2023
Omo make I join this class.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by Saintmary(f): 10:40am On Feb 19, 2023
Ekundayo7574:
Yes I don't give my tithe to any church I use to give that to my mum, I don't believe in any church as far as I'm concerned

This makes a lot of sense, your Mom prays over you, so, she's your priest.

You give her your tithe, which is your seed of honor, she blesses you, everyone goes home happy.

But the best way is to find a true man of God, they are rare in Nigeria, but they do exist.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by Osaremwantaelvi(m): 10:41am On Feb 19, 2023
It's not right.

If u give your 1/10 to the needy, you have successfully given alms to them but not tithe
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by daygee12: 10:52am On Feb 19, 2023
TriCee:
Hmmm, somehow I have become 'the needy', so I tithe myself for now.
Everywhere rough now.

This will help Deuteronomy 14:22-29
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by youngstrow(m): 10:55am On Feb 19, 2023
kingsways:
You can help the needy if you want but you cannot give your tithe to them because they are not your God.

Your tithe is to be taken to House of God
taking to house of god indeed imagine members dey suffer while pastors dey enjoy with luxuries lifestyle

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by johnsx: 10:57am On Feb 19, 2023
It's very proper to give your tithe to the needy and that's the right instructions before the confusion.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by BirtherOfKings(f): 11:03am On Feb 19, 2023
If u like bring this topic fifty times, it will.never make it right..give to ceasar wat belongs to ceasar.. the only time u do this is when the Holy Spirit has told u expressly..u can't rest or sleep, that pressing is upon u and it's not something on a daily or monthly grin angry angry grin grin grin
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by TheGift: 11:03am On Feb 19, 2023
For those who want to remain under the Law paying tithes , yes It is very proper. According to Deuteronomy 14 specifically vs 27. Which encourages us that while we are eating our tithe in celebration of Gods blessings we should not forget the widows, orphans , strangers and levites because they do not have an inheritance in the land. It is very wrong for you to give your tithes to a pastor who is well off and has other means of income.

Read it for yourself: Deuteronomy 14

"22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own."

But personally I believe under the new covenant we are not under he law and are not obligated to pay tithes (a tenth) but to give freely and cheerfully , not out of compulsion like the fear of some devourer.

2nd Corinthians 9:7
"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

This is the standard of grace.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by Diekahero: 11:04am On Feb 19, 2023
Frank25:
Let's gather and discuss
You can’t give what belongs to God to the needy. The scripture says give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.
Hence, what’s meant for God should be given to Him and what’s meant for the destitute should be given to the destitute.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by TheGift: 11:08am On Feb 19, 2023
BirtherOfKings:
If u like bring this topic fifty times, it will.never make it right..give to ceasar wat belongs to ceasar.. the only time u do this is when the Holy Spirit has told u expressly..u can't rest or sleep, that pressing is upon u and it's not something on a daily or monthly grin angry angry grin grin grin

Go and read Deuteronomy 14:22-27

Then come back and explain how this your post aligns .
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by franklingud(m): 11:10am On Feb 19, 2023
Frank25:
Let's gather and discuss
Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by BubblingB(m): 11:14am On Feb 19, 2023
Follow the bible not man

Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by babzo(m): 11:17am On Feb 19, 2023
Why do Christians give 10% ( Tithing).
I thought God gave 100% of himself to Christians, why are they giving Him just 10%? Who owns the other 90%?
If God tells you to give your whole salary to your neighbor or a stranger, would you doubt Him?
Oh I think the problem is that Christians like the boy Samuel before Eli showed him the way don't know when God is talking or His voice. That's why there is so much confusion , doubt and cluelessness.
Hmmmmm
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by Goztino(m): 11:21am On Feb 19, 2023
I am a Christian who believe in helping the needy.
Ever since I was born, I have never given 10% of my income to a pastor or a priest in the name of tithe neither do I condemn those that do.
We have right to do whatever we wanna do with our money.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by youngstrow(m): 11:21am On Feb 19, 2023
Righthussle:
As a Christain, it is not proper to give your "tithe" to the needy . How will the work of your God be done without money ?

The Christain God, the God of Israel whom Christains whorship is a god that needs money to do his work. Unless you don't want his work to be done.
stop smoking Igbo show me where d bible says god need money to do his work stop saying trash cos those words it’s an insult to the majestical GOD
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by PROPHETmichael: 11:38am On Feb 19, 2023
temitope27:
Tithes are meant to be paid by Jews and to the levith

We are not Jews, and non of our pastors are decendant of Levi

You are not Jews but your favourite song na
"Abraham's blessings are mine..." you see your life?
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by suratwo62: 11:39am On Feb 19, 2023
Deuteronomy 26: 12-13
12 When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied. 13 Then say to the Lord your God: “I have removed from my house the sacred portion and have given it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, according to all you commanded. I have not turned aside from your commands nor have I forgotten any of them.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by PROPHETmichael: 11:40am On Feb 19, 2023
Frank25:
Let's gather and discuss

The Word teaches 3 types of givings namely, Tithe, offering and alms. Alms is what you give to the needy.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by suratwo62: 11:41am On Feb 19, 2023
Diekahero:

You can’t give what belongs to God to the needy. The scripture says give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.
Hence, what’s meant for God should be given to Him and what’s meant for the destitute should be given to the destitute.

See what God Himself says about Tithes. Deut 26: 12-13 12 When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied. 13 Then say to the Lord your God: “I have removed from my house the sacred portion and have given it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, according to all you commanded. I have not turned aside from your commands nor have I forgotten any of them.
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by BirtherOfKings(f): 11:42am On Feb 19, 2023
TheGift:

Go and read Deuteronomy 14:22-27

Then come back and explain how this your post aligns .
Pls do as u please.. steal to eat and claim it's becos u are hungry.. that's between u and your God ..don't send me bible verse trying to justify your action..
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by Biosam13(m): 11:49am On Feb 19, 2023
englishmart:
Tithes are old-fashioned. Any pastor still collecting titles is a thief.
only God knows
Re: Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? by asksteve(m): 11:51am On Feb 19, 2023
Frank25:
Let's gather and discuss

Why do people always want to create confusion with arms giving and tithe?

You cannot replace one with the other.

If u want to give arms, quietly do and don't call it tithe.

Likewise if u want to give tithe quietly do and don't call it arms giving.

Mind u both are not a prerequisite for us to make heaven as we have somehow abandoned the more important things and keep laying emphasis on tithing and arms giving.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Evolution Myth And The ‘God Question' / Why Does The Bible 'God' Love The Smell Of Burning Flesh? / Testimony Of The Spiritual Realm(2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.