Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

XXXXX - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / XXXXX (13469 Views)

XXXXX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: XXXXX by Yeske2(m): 5:52pm On Sep 15, 2011
Whoever did the write-up had been on crack for supporting such silly idea from the governor. Question is what if other states reciprocate this 'kind' gesture? There are better ways of going about it like placing an embargo on recruitment of non-indigines etc. In all, it makes no sense.
Re: XXXXX by EPOMA(m): 6:04pm On Sep 15, 2011
After we complain of racism, I wonder if they were white
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 6:05pm On Sep 15, 2011
Abagworo:

I've written this previously on Nairaland that everything in Abia is headed by non-indigenes but never the case in other States I've been to.Rivers,Anambra,Imo,Delta,Bayelsa.I never saw an Abia man heading anything but people from Delta,Imo,Anambra and Rivers head almost the entire labour in Abia.I saw it as a good example though

So what is your opinion about this article

Is the gov right?
Is he wrong?
Is it okay to have 50% of a State's workforce from outside the state, while qualified indigenes of the state are unemployed?
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 6:07pm On Sep 15, 2011
jason123:

Forget that. I'm talking about a situation where Aworis and Gwaris deport all other Nigerians. The reason why I asked this, is because of:Some weeks ago, Aworis were complaining about marginalisation . . . So the question is, should Lagos do the same ?

Did the governor deport the sacked workers? Do you have proof of that?
Re: XXXXX by Afam4eva(m): 6:09pm On Sep 15, 2011
@Jason and co
If Lagos should cue from Abia, then note that it's Yorubas from other states that will suffer it. Lagos state civil service is made up of mostly non-indegene Yorubas who preach "One Yoruba" because of what they benefit from Lagos at the detriment of true lagos indegenes. Note that most people that were sent packing from Abia state are Igbos from Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Rivers, Delta etc. So, no one should tag it tribalism.

Even though Theo Orji seems to be one of the clueless governors in Nigeria, he may not be entirely wrong in taking this step. Mind you the same thing is happening in other states and if Abians don't have this opportunity in their state where else will they have it. Until the FG trashes out this Indegene/Settler issue, things like this will keep happening.
Re: XXXXX by yarodin: 6:12pm On Sep 15, 2011
The Governor is right on point.  Apart from private and Federal jobs, businesses, indigines should be in charge of their own State affairs.  I bet if you go to Enugu, Delta, etc, you would not see Abians dominating the State jobs.    So  South-East I am with you on this one.
Re: XXXXX by ChinenyeN(m): 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2011
afam4eva:

Until the FG trashes out this Indegene/Settler issue, things like this will keep happening.
You're talking as if FG is in a position to do such. The indigene/settler dichotomy is not going anywhere, anytime soon.
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 6:14pm On Sep 15, 2011
afam4eva:

@Jason and co
If Lagos should cue from Abia, then note that it's Yorubas from other states that will suffer it. Lagos state civil service is made up of mostly non-indegene Yorubas who preach "One Yoruba" because of what they benefit from Lagos at the detriment of true lagos indegenes. Note that most people that were sent packing from Abia state are Igbos from Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Rivers, Delta etc. So, no one should tag it tribalism.

Even though Theo Orji seems to be one of the clueless governors in Nigeria, he may not be entirely wrong in taking this step. Mind you the same thing is happening in other states and if Abians don't have this opportunity in their state where else will they have it. Until the FG trashes out this Indegene/Settler issue, things like this will keep happening.

Thank you. Case closed. At least one Yoruba was affected in Abia. I doubt that you will find any Igbo working in any SW state ministries. Forget the lone political appointment in Lagos which has also happened elsewhere.
Re: XXXXX by russellino: 6:16pm On Sep 15, 2011
@ yeske - the governor na local man. Its not his fault. He has nothing to new to offer his people so he digs into the tried and trusted "us and them" bag and declares that once non-indigenes leave state service he'll be able to pay the minimum wage (even though its still the same number of jobs), guarantee security etc.this is a governor that spent state money advertising three new bore holes in a whole centre spread of Thisday newspaper. Abeg how to sink 3 bore holes and compare it to the advert rates he must have paid. Like I said, a local man
Re: XXXXX by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 15, 2011
Everyone is quoting the writer of the article as if the 50% is factual. He probable pulled the figure out of his derriere.

I live in Umuahia, my dad's a retired Civil Servant, and my mum is presently one. I strongly doubt the 50% estimate is correct, maybe a handful of non-indigenes here and there.
Re: XXXXX by Afam4eva(m): 6:21pm On Sep 15, 2011
@Southeast
There are Igbos in Lagos state civil service but they are very few. Infact you can count them. What's happening in Lagos is an ethnic agenda and about indegeneship.
Re: XXXXX by russellino: 6:21pm On Sep 15, 2011
@ south east - I know at least two igbo women that work in the lagos state mnistry of lands. Though they could be married to indigenes. If na judges and magistrates I can count a few
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 6:22pm On Sep 15, 2011
Richfella:

Everyone is quoting the writer of the article as if the 50% is factual. He probable pulled the figure out of his derriere.

I live in Umuahia, my dad's a retired Civil Servant, and my mum is presently one. I strongly doubt the 50% estimate is correct, maybe a handful of non-indigene here and there.

Thank you. we are working, for now, based on 50% #. If it is far less than that (say 0-20%) then the Gov should be hanged. But if the # is as high as 30-50% or more, then it is right to serve the people first. My brother lives and works in Abia; I would have to find out a few more facts from him
Re: XXXXX by jason123: 6:22pm On Sep 15, 2011
afam4eva:

@Jason and co

You are the one taking this the wrong way. I did not type down "Yorubas", I typed down "Aworis". So I was asking the other guy if it will be benefit everyone, should Aworis do the same.
Re: XXXXX by jason123: 6:23pm On Sep 15, 2011
afam4eva:

@Southeast
There are Igbos in Lagos state civil service but they are very few. Infact you can count them. What's happening in Lagos is an ethnic agenda and about indegeneship.

No, they are not. You are certainly not sure of what you just typed.
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 6:23pm On Sep 15, 2011
russellino:

@ south east - I know at least two igbo women that work in the lagos state mnistry of lands. Though they could be married to indigenes. If na judges and magistrates I can count a few

Just two? We are talking of 50%. BTW, did you know that the acting chief justice (or is it Attorney general of Abia) is a woman from Anambra? At that level, I have no problem. But getting cleaners and other low-cadre jobs from other states is silly.
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 6:28pm On Sep 15, 2011
Anambra indigene becomes Abia acting Chief Judge

FromGordiUdeajah, Umuahia

AN indigene of Anambra State, Theresa Uzomaka Uzokwe, has been sworn in as the acting Chief Judge (CJ) of Abia State.

advertisement

Uzokwe is the third person in Abia State to act as the CJ within the past six months. The other two that acted before Uzokwe were Ijeoma Offonry and Nnenna Chioma Oti.

While swearing in Uzokwe in the state Executive Council Chambers, the state governor, Theodore Orji, urged all the parties responsible for appointment of a substantive state CJ to expedite action on it.

Elated by her appointment, Uzokwe said: "I sincerely had no expectations nor did I consider my humble self, the appropriate person for this office, not from lack of knowledge nor other capacities but from fear of the often-orchestrated slogan 'she is a stranger'. This today, has proved my worthy governor's fixed reliability, when he stated in Aba some months ago that no one was a stranger in the state".

According to her, "although I have spent most of my life so far in Abia, had all my children in Abia and worked as state counsel, magistrate and as a High Court judge, all in Abia State, I now feel convinced that the governor has truly made me an Abia woman".

Pledging to discharge the duties of the CJ creditably, she remarked: "I have taken my oath which I see and accept as sacrosanct and a covenant, I shall not let the governor and the people of the state down".
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 6:30pm On Sep 15, 2011
afam4eva:

@Southeast

Okay. However, I expect that they will not be 50% and also expect some form of ethnic cleansing to be going on there, covertly. Orji did his loudly, hence the reaction.
Re: XXXXX by russellino: 6:37pm On Sep 15, 2011
@ south east - if the cj or attorney general is a non-indigene you can bet she has been in service to the state long enough and probably rose through the ranks. Do you know that sir darnley alexander, a jamaican was chief judge of lagos state in the 1980's? I can bet my behind that lagos state hasn't had an indigenous cj in almost 30yrs, yet see how advanced their judiciary is compared to other states. Bros forget ochendo yab big time. At most he should have devised a more sophisticated means like someone said introduce a quota system for at least 90% indigenes
Re: XXXXX by Afam4eva(m): 6:47pm On Sep 15, 2011
@Jason
I live in Lagos and I know what I'm talking about.Look at all the lagos agencies eg LASEMA, LASTMA etc and tell me how many non-Yorubas you see there. Most Igbos in Lagos either have their own private business or work for a private firm.
Re: XXXXX by Exponental(m): 6:50pm On Sep 15, 2011
This is simply a YARDSTICK to splitting 9ja.
If Lagosians shld retaliate, YORUBAS will dominate ALABA Intl Market, Aspadam, Ladipo, Idumota n many large markets in d centre of commercials. Then, dre wont be Abians bt Ibos!
All they need do, is Behind up n meet up 2 leadership standard,
Re: XXXXX by leyom234: 6:51pm On Sep 15, 2011
Let Nigeria even split self. enough is enough.
Re: XXXXX by Afam4eva(m): 6:56pm On Sep 15, 2011
@exponential
You sound very daft. Is Alaba part of lagos civil service? MUMU.
Re: XXXXX by lagcity(m): 6:57pm On Sep 15, 2011
Exponental:

This is simply a YARDSTICK to splitting 9ja.
If Lagosians shld retaliate, YORUBAS will dominate ALABA Intl Market, Aspadam, Ladipo, Idumota n many large markets in d centre of commercials. Then, dre wont be Abians bt Ibos!
All they need do, is Behind up n meet up 2 leadership standard,

alaba no be state govt job now. we are talking abt state govt here
Re: XXXXX by ezeagu(m): 7:03pm On Sep 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Yes, one in a million who understands that such initiative would be crucial toward facilitating a less dramatic division/disintegration.

Not even only that, can you imagine the thousands of middle class families rushing back to Abia? That would force development.

1 Like

Re: XXXXX by lagcity(m): 7:04pm On Sep 15, 2011
^^^^
stop deceiving yourself. nobody is flocking back to anywhere.
Re: XXXXX by MMM2(m): 7:08pm On Sep 15, 2011
is abia state in 9ja angry
Re: XXXXX by JamesDoe: 7:08pm On Sep 15, 2011
"Everybody answer ya papa name"!

What an uncouth way to appeal to the most base instincts.

If you want to rebalance your staff to reflect the local population then there are better ways.

1) go on a recruitment drive aimed specifically where Abians live;
2) go to the Abian polys and Unis and hire young blood; and
3) do the rebalancing gradually.

The sad fact is that Govt created jobs are mostly wasteful. Nothing is really produced unless the jobs created are infrastructure jobs.

The silly governor should have announced infrastructure projects, frozen mid and top level salaries for pencil pushers in the state civil service and hired Abians for the new infrastructure jobs.

Or is Abia not in need of new roads, bridges, streets etc
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 7:14pm On Sep 15, 2011
Somehow, I believe only state indigenes will have the heart to develop their state. An Abian working in Lagos State ministry is only there to earn a living. I doubt that (they) he/she will have the commitment, drive and dedication to take the state to another level in their own little way.
Re: XXXXX by SouthEast1: 7:16pm On Sep 15, 2011
JamesDoe:

If you want to rebalance your staff to reflect the local population then there are better ways.

3) do the rebalancing gradually.

Agreed 100%. Igbos should learn to be subtle. Our gra gra too much lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos Of Aliko Dangote's $30M House In Abuja / Ayade Moves To Ensure 24-hour Power Supply In Calabar / Osun Extends Relaxation Of Curfew By 2 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.