Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? (1425 Views)

Can Our Faith Work Without Being Prayerful? / 8 Important Ways We Can Develop Our Faith As Christians / Signs You Are Losing Faith In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 5:59pm On Mar 12, 2023
Job 1:6-19

Satan Allowed to Test Job

6. Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them.

7. The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.”

8. And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?”

9. Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason?

10. Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11. But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.”

12. And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

Satan Takes Job's Property and Children

13. Now there was a day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house,

14. and there came a messenger to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them,

15. and the Sabeans fell upon them and took them and struck down the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you.”

16. While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, “The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants and consumed them, and I alone have escaped to tell you.”

17. While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, “The Chaldeans formed three groups and made a raid on the camels and took them and struck down the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you.”

18. While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, “Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house,

19. and behold, a great wind came across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young people, and they are dead, and I alone have escaped to tell you.”
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 6:02pm On Mar 12, 2023
Satan is under the authority of God. If God forbids him from hurting a person, Satan can do them no harm.

Job 1:12

12. And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

Does that mean the bad things that happen even to God's faithful may have been permitted by God himself to test their faith?

4 Likes

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by CodeTemplar: 6:04pm On Mar 12, 2023
Deuteronomy 8:3 he humbleth and maketh to hunger.
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 6:07pm On Mar 12, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Deuteronomy 8:3 he humbleth and maketh to suffer.
So God is in fact responsible for suffering (sickness and poverty)... Not really the devil. The devil is the one who carries out the sentence, but only with God's permission.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:
■ Satan is under the authority of God. If God forbids him from hurting a person, Satan can do them no harm.
■ Does that mean the bad things that happen even to God's faithful may have been permitted by God himself to test their faith?
1. Only yesterday, you said Satan battled against God in His throne room. What gives? undecided

2. God is Sovereign meaning all things — good and evil — He works together according to His plan. Nothing can go against God's plan and purpose. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Kobojunkie: 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:
So God is in fact responsible for suffering (sickness and poverty)... Not really the devil. The devil is the one who carries out the sentence, but only with God's permission.
Pretty much! undecided
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by budaatum: 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2023
A God that plays njabet with people's lifes should not be worshipped! Such gods should be taken to the bottom of rivers and drowned after having their heads bashed against rocks.

The story was however not for you to focus on God playing njabet, but on the perseverance of poor Job on whom njabet was played.

P.s. You question is like asking if the fox can not blow down a pig's house that is made of bricks.

2 Likes

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 6:10pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Only yesterday, you said Satan battled against God in His throne room. What gives? undecided

2. God is Sovereign meaning all things — good and evil — He works together according to His plan. Nothing can go against God's plan and purpose. undecided
Didn't I also tell you the Bible contradicts itself? Not my business. I only pick a story to discuss.

Doesn't that make him evil? What good did Job's suffering serve? To reassure himself that he's still God? If he knows all, did he need to put the man through all that? He even allowed the death of his innocent children! God should have known Job's faith in him was strong. He's God!

2 Likes

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 6:17pm On Mar 12, 2023
budaatum:
A God that plays njabet with people's lifes should not be worshipped! Such gods should be taken to the bottom rivers and drowned after having their heads bashed against rocks.

The story was however not for you to focus on God playing njabet, but on the perseverance of poor Job on whom njabet was played..

P.s. You question is like asking if the fox can not blow down a pig's house that is made of bricks.

Reminds me of a comic I once came across. God is sadistic.

And I agree. He was a character to emulate! Although, no Christian would want to be him. Abraham, maybe but never Job despite him finding favour in the eyes of God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by budaatum: 6:23pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:

Reminds me of a comic I once came across. God is sadistic.

And I agree. He was a character to emulate! Although, no Christian would want to be him. Abraham, maybe but never Job despite him finding favour in the eyes of God.

In the imagined eyes of an imagined God, you mean.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 6:24pm On Mar 12, 2023
budaatum:

In the imagined eyes of an imagined God, you mean.
Yes! Yes... grin
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Kobojunkie: 6:26pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:
■Didn't I also tell you the Bible contradicts itself? Not my business. I only pick a story to discuss.
■ Doesn't that make him evil?
■ What good did Job's suffering serve? To reassure himself that he's still God?
■ If he knows all, did he need to put the man through all that? He even allowed the death of his innocent children!
■ God should have known Job's faith in him was strong. He's God!
1. The problem wasn't the book even yesterday but your refusal to abandon the myths you held onto in order to accept instead what is written. Like any other pick, you cannot pick from here and there as you like. You have to compile it all together into one for you to in fact comprehend all the bits and pieces. undecided

2. God created both good and evil. undecided

3. Did you read the book? I believe Job answers that question for you in Chapter 42 undecided

4. Yep, God only puts the man through what man needs to go through in order to come to a realization of His Truth.

5. God knew this but did Job know it or realize it or understand the importance of the realization before the ordeal? undecided
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 6:35pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. The problem wasn't the book even yesterday but your refusal to abandon the myths you held onto in order to accept instead what is written. Like any other pick, you cannot pick from here and there as you like. You have to compile it all together into one for you to in fact comprehend all the bits and pieces. undecided

3. Did you read the book? I believe Job answers that question for you in Chapter 42 undecided

4. Yep, God only puts the man through what man needs to go through in order to come to a realization of His Truth.

5. God knew this but did Job know it or realize it or understand the importance of the realization before the ordeal? undecided

First of all, I'm not writing the Bible. If it didn't contradict itself, there would be no issue choosing a Bible passage to study.

This is Job 6

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them.

Here, God and the Devil were kinda getting along... In other passages, they can't stand each other.

This is what caused Job to be tested. Don't change the Bible. Please!

Job 8-12

And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?”

10. Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11. But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.”

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:
■ First of all, I'm not writing the Bible. If it didn't contradict itself, there would be no issue choosing a Bible passage to study.
■ This is Job 6. Here, God and the Devil were kinda getting along... In other passages, they can't stand each other. This is what caused Job to be tested. Don't change the Bible. Please!
1. Stop blaming the book abeg! undecided

2. Yes, it says God put Job to the test. I am not disputing any of that. undecided
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 6:44pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:

2. Yes, it says God put Job to the test. I am not disputing any of that. undecided

I don't blame the book. I like it's weird stories.

It's bizarre, you agree? For God to act like that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Kobojunkie: 6:47pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:
■ I don't blame the book. I like it's weird stories.
■ It's bizarre, you agree? For God to act like that?
1. Still, stop blaming the book particularly when you hold on to ideas that are not of the book. undecided

2. Bizarre that I accept what is written as is written? He is God all by Himself. He does not need my approval or acceptance to be God. undecided
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 6:50pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Still, stop blaming the book particularly when you hold on to ideas that are not of the book. undecided

2. Bizarre that I accept what is written as is written? He is God all by Himself. He does not need my approval or acceptance to be God. undecided
Certainly. But you can still approve or disapprove of his actions. Can you not? Or are you too scared to criticize him? It doesn't make him any less God, but you might understand and therefore know him better.

2 Likes

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Kobojunkie: 6:58pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:
■Certainly. But you can still approve or disapprove of his actions. Can you not? Or are you too scared to criticize him? It doesn't make him any less God, but you might understand and therefore know him better.
1. Well, been there, done that! And yes, He gave me an audience like He did a job and I now know Him better, and understand Him better as well. undecided
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by herlecks(m): 10:17pm On Mar 12, 2023
Little ones, where is the respect for your maker?
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by jaephoenix(m): 11:49pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:
Is this news to you?
Someone that drowned the world wouldn't fllinch from murdering a few more millions cheesy
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by jaephoenix(m): 11:51pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Ok, whats his plan? cheesy
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by jaephoenix(m): 11:51pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Pretty much! undecided
Thats nice. I'll screenshot this response. Cos you'll definitely deny it soon
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by jaephoenix(m): 11:53pm On Mar 12, 2023
Banilla:
Didn't I also tell you the Bible contradicts itself? Not my business. I only pick a story to discuss.

Doesn't that make him evil? What good did Job's suffering serve? To reassure himself that he's still God? If he knows all, did he need to put the man through all that? He even allowed the death of his innocent children! God should have known Job's faith in him was strong. He's God!
Yahweh is a megalomaniac psychopathic murderer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by jaephoenix(m): 11:55pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Yet he's an omniscient god
Can you explain the bolded
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by jaephoenix(m): 11:58pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:

If by chance job failed the test, who would you blame
A. Yahweh
B. Job
C. Satan
D. Junkie
E. Jaephoenix
F. Any other person

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by jaephoenix(m): 11:59pm On Mar 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Have you read Numbers 22? cheesy
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by jaephoenix(m): 12:00am On Mar 13, 2023
herlecks:
Little ones, where is the respect for your maker?
My maker is Flying Spaghetti Monster
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:30am On Mar 13, 2023
Banilla:

NO!
The problem is from Adam who brought sin into the life of all his descendants {Romans 5:12} Satan can't touch Adam or Eve because the glory of God is upon them but he can speak to them perhaps they're satisfied with their condition or they will like to explore for something better than what God gave them.

The couple chose to rebel against God's order and that's how they sold all their descendants into slavery under Satan. Romans 3:23

Satan knew God's angels moving throughout the earth {Ezekiel 10:12} these creatures are like God's eyes throughout the earth {2Chronicles 16:9} to report back to God regarding any of Adam's descendants that's striving to do what is right. Malachi 3:16

So when Satan notice any human gaining the attention of these angels he feels such a person is untouchable for him {Job 1:10} that's why God told Satan "you're free to touch him (after all he's also one of the descendants of Adam the rebel) but don't kill him" Job 1:12

Please whenever anyone is facing difficult time let him not even think it's God that's bringing the evil to test him because nobody can test God with evil things neither does He test anyone with evil {James 1:13} just like Adam each human is tempted by his or heart desire that's what gives Satan access and eventually leads to death! James 1:14-15

1 Like

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 7:48am On Mar 13, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

NO!
The problem is from Adam who brought sin into the life of all his descendants {Romans 5:12} Satan can't touch Adam or Eve because the glory of God is upon them but he can speak to them perhaps they're satisfied with their condition or they will like to explore for something better than what God gave them.

The couple chose to rebel against God's order and that's how they sold all their descendants into slavery under Satan. Romans 3:23

Satan knew God's angels moving throughout the earth {Ezekiel 10:12} these creatures are like God's eyes throughout the earth {2Chronicles 16:9} to report back to God regarding any of Adam's descendants that's striving to do what is right. Malachi 3:16

So when Satan notice any human gaining the attention of these angels he feels such a person is untouchable for him {Job 1:10} that's why God told Satan "you're free to touch him (after all he's also one of the descendants of Adam the rebel) but don't kill him" Job 1:12

Please whenever anyone is facing difficult time let him not even think it's God that's bringing the evil to test him because nobody can test God with evil things neither does He test anyone with evil {James 1:13} just like Adam each human is tempted by his or heart desire that's what gives Satan access and eventually leads to death! James 1:14-15

You are misinterpreting the Bible. You make it seem as though the devil made a choice to punish Job because he was favoured by God, when in reality, the devil goaded God into testing the man. grin

And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?”

The Old testament and New testament combined, the devil's murder count is 10. And these people were the children of Job killed with the permission and approval of God. The devil cannot create life, neither can he take one; it's not within his power. He can only tempt people into doing that. So every unfortunate death, God is in fact responsible (whether he's testing or punishing us). undecided

The New testament God may be kinder but the Old testament God wiped out an entire planet... Don't pretend they are the same. undecided

Also, sin didn't start with Adam and Eve but with Lucifer.

[I'll quote you in the others thread I created]

1 Like

Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 7:50am On Mar 13, 2023
jaephoenix:

My maker is Flying Spaghetti Monster
Lmao. grin
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:02am On Mar 13, 2023
Banilla:

You are misinterpreting the Bible. You make it seem as though the devil made a choice to punish Job because he was favoured by God, when in reality, the devil goaded God into testing the man. grin

The Old testament and New testament combined, the devil's murder count is 10. And these people were the children of Job killed with the permission and approval of God. The devil cannot create life, neither can he take one; it's not within his power. He can only tempt people into doing that. So every unfortunate death, God is in fact responsible (whether he's testing or punishing us). undecided

The New testament God may be kinder but the Old testament God wiped out an entire planet... Don't pretend they are the same. undecided

Also, sin didn't start with Adam and Eve but with Lucifer.

[I'll quote you in the others thread I created]

Ọmọ it's the same God but i'll enlighten you on that later (if you really want to know)
But as for the troubles facing humans it's not from God rather it's men themselves that are the cause of their own misfortune.

Take for instance the case of Sodom and Gomorrah those angels serving as God's eyes saw how toxic the two cities are and the moral damage they will bring to the planet if they're allowed to continue existing that's why they reported the case to God who sent his only begotten Son as His representative to go and verify it was after verification that God ordered the angels to destroy the two cities!

The God in the old testament has a reason why He became lenient after His son has come to the earth but later He will still wipe out billions for rejecting the message His Son brought to mankind {John 3:16} just as He did to Noah's generation! Luke 17:26-27 compare to 19:27 smiley
Re: Does God Authorize Suffering To Test Our Faith In Him? by Banilla: 8:13am On Mar 13, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Ọmọ it's the same God but i'll enlighten you on that later (if you really want to know)
But as for the troubles facing humans it's not from God rather it's men themselves that are the cause of their own misfortune.

Take for instance the case of Sodom and Gomorrah those angels serving as God's eyes saw how toxic the two cities are and the moral damage they will bring to the planet if they're allowed to continue existing that's why they reported the case to God who sent his only begotten Son as His representative to go and verify it was after verification that God ordered the angels to destroy the two cities!

The God in the old testament has a reason why He became lenient after His son has come to the earth but later He will still wipe out billions for rejecting the message His Son brought to mankind {John 3:16} just as He did to Noah's generation! Luke 17:26-27 compare to 19:27 smiley

Job didn't do anything... Neither did Abraham although he was treated fairly better. I can't imagine the pain he went through, thinking he must murder his son. Why does God play these mind games? Are they necessary? undecided

You're still agreeing with me; whether they are being punished for their sins or having their faith tested, God is responsible for their suffering because only he can take the life of a man and all he possesses... undecided

Doesn't your God terrify you?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Value Of Different Sins? / The Close Encounters In The Bible / Nasa Warns - Super Solar Storms To Kill 1 Billion People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.