Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People (38888 Views)

Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag / Aniomas And Ikwerre People Have Not Learned From History So Sad. / I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Thomasankara(m): 3:32pm On Jun 08, 2023
[/color]eat without soup,how comfortable is it for them to swallow 😕[color=#770077]
chrisxxx:
Food
The Ikwerre people are predominantly farmers and hunters, this is because we have a very fertile soil and forests teeming with wildlife. Our main indigenous meal, which you must find at any major occasion (burials, weddings etc), is a combo of Miniwiri-okazi (with plenty of smoked fish, smoked meat and major periwinkle presence) and Odogoro (Fufu) or Otara-iji (Pounded yam). A typical Ikwerre person of Apara/Rumuapara extraction knows how to Dundu; this is the act of eating your well spiced and smoked fish or meat with your Odogoro or Otara-iji… and without any soup. Yum!

Dressing
The Ikwerre people traditionally use Jioji wrapper. Ikwerre women tie two pieces and a blouse with a head-tie of a different but corresponding jioji wrapper, while the men wear an Etibo top and tie one piece of jioji wrapper with a pair of jumper shorts under.

What do you love most about Ikwerre people?
What I love most about my people is our pride in our land and resources. I also love the language and our indigenous songs. The native lingo in Starboy ft Wizkid and Duncan Mighty- Fake Love gives an idea of this beautiful tongue.
Female dogs are a taboo in my community and many others in Ikwerre-land. This is one of the most unreasonable laws I know of and this continued adherence to a custom which has no significance is something I really dislike about Ikwerre-land.
Tell us about any local or indigenous festivals
One of my favorite festivals is the Egelege festival. It is a local wrestling competition that occurs annually, with neighboring communities competing for the prestige that comes with winning, hosting rights are alternated between communities and so in spite of its nature, it is a sport that builds friendship amongst communities and brings families together.
Please share a few Ikwerre proverbs with us
Nye lo biekun o nye ruhuru soga (It is he who carries the burning firewood that the smoke will follow)

Nshi kamma ke Igo nyorun (The eagle’s shit is best)

Nye doru evu evu gba (He who disturbs bees gets stung by bees)

What do you wish more people knew about Ikwerre people
We are quite welcoming and accepting of people of different tribes.
Our language has many words in common with the Ekpeye , Etche and Igbo people but we are neither any of them. We are a distinct ethnic group.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ChinenyeN(m): 4:28pm On Jun 08, 2023
Edipet:
hmmmm. @bolded , are you serious.? Just learning this for the first time, I always believed that speaking similar language, having similar culture and tradition can be traced to the same root.

They are correct. Language and culture/traditions are all different things and even more so different from origin. People can have different origins and end up with similar language. People can have similar language and end up with different cultures or have different origin because human life is dynamic.

Take Igbo for instance. To linguists, it is clear that Igbo belongs in the same language branch as Yoruba, Edo, Akoko, etc. According to linguists, they suspect the Igbo branch started diverging 6000 - 8000 years ago. However, some anthropologists suspect that some of the communities that speak Igbo now have been settled in the area for longer than that. So what language were they speaking before?

That is a rhetorical question. The point being that evidence suggests that the communities may be older than the language. So now, even though we share a linguistic branch with Yoruba, Edo and Akoko, it may be possible that we do not share an origin.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Pharaoh4rin(m): 5:49pm On Jun 08, 2023
sageb:

So you mean
Tonto Dike
Mercy chinwo
Monalisa chinda,etc no dey beautiful for eyes abi?

No be lie.

But when you see one in 20, how'd describe that? But you see the men? Damn! I don't know..... Always cute
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by dontbothermuch: 7:18pm On Jun 08, 2023
chrisxxx:

Bros meka. Nzim Akami

Meka wenem, Let's form a forum or platform to teach our children. I am from an elite family & I had that disadvantage of knowing my language & culture due to language barrier between my parents.
And restrictions mingling with my peers, cos we were kept inside
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by dontbothermuch: 7:24pm On Jun 08, 2023
Believe me, Ikwerre culture is going.
In Choba community. The people that participate in Ozurumba masquerade won't be there for long. Most youths are focused on cultism, some on fraud, some on education & religion
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Probz(m): 7:38pm On Jun 08, 2023
ChinenyeN:

They are correct. Language and culture/traditions are all different things and even more so different from origin. People can have different origins and end up with similar language. People can have similar language and end up with different cultures or have different origin because human life is dynamic.

Take Igbo for instance. To linguists, it is clear that Igbo belongs in the same language branch as Yoruba, Edo, Akoko, etc. According to linguists, they suspect the Igbo branch started diverging 6000 - 8000 years ago. However, some anthropologists suspect that some of the communities that speak Igbo now have been settled in the area for longer than that. So what language were they speaking before?

That is a rhetorical question. The point being that evidence suggests that the communities may be older than the language. So now, even though we share a linguistic branch with Yoruba, Edo and Akoko, it may be possible that we do not share an origin.

Get yourself into my latest thread, laddie. Let’s talk about Nsukka.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Kalvan: 9:26am On Jun 09, 2023
Otunbakayce:
Just another ikwerre slowpoke! You are all ibo people.
If you think you are not, then stop bearing Ibo names.

Ibos and your imposing attitudes. Imagine telling someone what their identity is lol. There’s a reason you’re strongly disliked by most Nigerian groups. I’ve said enough lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by larrybabanla(m): 2:09pm On Jun 09, 2023
Thisis2raw:
I live in ikeja, I moved from nyanya Abuja. My siblings live also here.
So get your fact right
Ok good for you, but how many ikwere people did you see in Lagos?
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ihesiuloa(m): 2:56pm On Jun 09, 2023
WoroSeeWoro:
Well they are sub igbo tribe no matter what
Even if they are not igbo's they are certainly closely related to them.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Thisis2raw(m): 7:21pm On Jun 09, 2023
larrybabanla:

Ok good for you, but how many ikwere people did you see in Lagos?
when I attended on of the SCOAN services earlier this year, I over heard some few guys not sitting far from speaking ikwerre.
I tapped one of the guys and asked if they are from ikwerre, they all said yes.
Later I got to hangout with them. They all stay in Lagos here. 4 of them
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by WoroSeeWoro(m): 10:34pm On Jun 09, 2023
ihesiuloa:

Even if they are not igbo's they are certainly closely related to them.

That is why i say they are a sub igbo tribe ....anybody that speak a.language that have elememt of igbo is a sub igbo tribe ..ikwere own is so obvious

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Revolva(m): 10:46pm On Jun 09, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

I don't need to read all those things you put up there

All I know is that they originate from the Binis

You are just a kid son

You are really poor in history which benin
.ikwere migrate from .....wtf this is the lamest imagination i have ever heard

Ikwere at a certain time lived with Benin people in the ancient days does not mean they migrated originally from benin , till they moved to their present location today , they are a clan of igbo race simple and short .....learn history and migration pattern una no go ever listen..na politics una de take judge history
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Goodcitizen99(m): 4:02pm On Jun 11, 2023
thinkmoney:

Na una wey no sabi debate intellectually they always use this dey play phrase,
Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo, like Ondo and ijebu are dialect of yoruba
They have the same market days like Igbos, the same Gods and share same geographical area.
Ikwerre somehow are like bitter brothers. They are like modern day Ukraine to Russia.
Again I emphasize that, culturally, geographically, ethnically, biologically and linguistically they aren’t different from Igbos
wow this is knockout blow 😂 ur indeed very intelligent bro
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Goodcitizen99(m): 4:34pm On Jun 11, 2023
Ebeano49:
Ikwerre: A confused sub Igbo tribe. They are suffering from inferiority complex and identity crisis. They are trying soo hard to be accepted by Nigeria by denying their true identity. Half claim to be Igbo (like Amaechi), half claim to be Bini (like Wike). They speak Igbo, bear Igbo names, eat Igbo food, practice Igbo traditions but say THEY ARE NOT Igbo, just to keep the supporter of APC happy.
They can kill and betray their Igbo brothers to make Nigeria happy. Wike did it in Obigbo before Tambuwal show am pepper grin grin
😂 ur a wicked person bros now him don turn jagaban house boy I pray jagaban don't show him remaining shege banza naija na cruise Sha 😂

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Goodcitizen99(m): 4:39pm On Jun 11, 2023
Otunbakayce:
who gives a fvck about ibo people?
I olamide oluwakayode omo ......... From Ado Ora amukara sabe ewu jee doesn't give a fvck!

You all are Ibo's and worse still fake Ibos.
Omoibo fake!
kolos is a bad drug stay away from it son
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Kalvan: 8:42pm On Jun 11, 2023
WoroSeeWoro:

That is why i say they are a sub igbo tribe ....anybody that speak a.language that have elememt of igbo is a sub igbo tribe ..ikwere own is so obvious

Are the French a sub-English tribe, or are the English a sub- French tribe, since either language has words that show up in the other?
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Kalvan: 8:45pm On Jun 11, 2023
Ikwerres are not Ibos! I will say this until I am blue in the face. The narrative that Ikwerres disassociated from Ibos after the civil war is a farce. The men in my Ikwerre village were the ones that brought in the federal troops.

The Ikwerres are as Ibo, as a Frenchman is English. Thank you for coming to my tedtalk

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by RedboneSmith(m): 8:59pm On Jun 11, 2023
Kalvan:

The Ikwerres are as Ibo, as a Frenchman is English. Thank you for coming to my tedtalk

Culturally and linguistically, this your Frenchman-English analogy no follow, at allllll.

If you're looking for analogies, these are a few I can suggest:

The Ikwerre are as 'Ibo' as an Afrikaner is Dutch.

The Ikwerre are as 'Ibo' as a Maltese is Arab.

The Ikwerre are as 'Ibo' as an Austrian is German.

The Ikwerre are as 'Ibo' as a Walloons-speaking Belgian is French.

3 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Ologbo147: 10:09pm On Jun 11, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Culturally and linguistically, this your Frenchman-English analogy no follow, at allllll.

the ikwerre are as Ibo as an Esan man is Bini
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Probz(m): 10:47pm On Jun 11, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Exactly.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by WoroSeeWoro(m): 4:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
Kalvan:

Are the French a sub-English tribe, or are the English a sub- French tribe, since either language has words that show up in the other?

Stop using europeans ideology to match african ..

You need to know history well you will understand why i say ikwere are from igbo origin .....

Many of us here dont even know our origins we only shot i am from dis state am from this region dis and that ...you see what politics have caused .....so sad
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Maazieze(m): 7:09pm On Jun 12, 2023
Kalvan:
Ikwerres are not Ibos! I will say this until I am blue in the face. The narrative that Ikwerres disassociated from Igbos after the civil war is a farce. The men in my Ikwerre village were the ones that brought in the federal troops.

Anything related to Igbos seems to pain you, you've wasted you time posting for 5 years about igbos, doing your best to drive a wedge within our nation. your mouth must smell to high heaven with the sewage coming out

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Kalvan: 12:57am On Jun 13, 2023
Maazieze:

Anything related to Igbos seems to pain you, you've wasted you time posting for 5 years about igbos, doing your best to drive a wedge within our nation. your mouth must smell to high heaven with the sewage coming out

I believe the smell you’re referring to is coming from your mother’s unwashed vagina
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Caleb15(m): 11:22pm On Jun 18, 2023
Kalvan:

Canada is french in language but english in administration
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by chrisxxx(m): 8:25pm On Jul 09, 2023
GetSenseNow:

I didn't want to comment on this thread but you made me.

I'm from Nkwerre and, on most of our major festivals we always have emissaries from Ikwerre and we usually attend theirs too
Which part of Ikwerre? Ikwerre migrated from Nkweree and became bigger than Nkweree? See your head!
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by chrisxxx(m): 8:40pm On Jul 09, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Let me submit this. Would you accept to be Ikwerre if Ikwerres had 5 states and Igbos just 4 LGAs?
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by chrisxxx(m): 8:50pm On Jul 09, 2023
engrchykae:
how come umuola became "R"umuola
Umuokoro became "R"umuokoro?
You think by adding RS to your names,you ain't Igbo?
Foolish lost igbos
If u think Ikwerre is Igbo don't you think they may have a variation in their dialect?
Can you see how overzealous you people are?
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by engrchykae(m): 11:13pm On Jul 09, 2023
chrisxxx:

If u think Ikwerre is Igbo don't think they may have a variation in their dialect?
Can you see how overzealous you people are?
if you like come from Benin
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by RedboneSmith(m): 6:41am On Jul 10, 2023
chrisxxx:

Let me submit this. Would you accept to be Ikwerre if Ikwerres had 5 states and Igbos just 4 LGAs?

If there are two million chimpanzees in the world and only 200 apes, will the apes accept to all be called chimpanzees?

If I have 30 bars of gold and just three bars of metal, can I just call my bars of metal all gold?

This is what your question sounds like to me.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by chrisxxx(m): 7:13am On Jul 10, 2023
RedboneSmith:

If there are two million chimpanzees in the world and only 200 apes, will the apes accept to all be called chimpanzees?

If I have 30 bars of gold and just three bars of metal, can I just call my bars of metal all gold?

This is what your question sounds like to me.
From your answer you have given a clean credence to my argument. Chimpanzees and Apes do not belong to the same class although they may look alike. This also applies to iron (although you said metal perhaps you lack peripheral knowledge of chemistry as good is also a metal) and gold. They are both metal but class apart.
I believe this settles it. Igbos and Ikwerres are not same people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi And His 7 Wives Step Out Together (Photo) / Urhobo Wa Doo! Learn/share Urhobo Stuff Here / The Ema Dance Of The Urhobo People (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.