Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,947 members, 7,835,157 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People (39434 Views)

Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag / Aniomas And Ikwerre People Have Not Learned From History So Sad. / I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:27pm On Jun 07, 2023
Shigishege2:
dey play

em dey play wetin, please
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:28pm On Jun 07, 2023
Gajagojo:

That is how you would like it to be

I am certain you have never done any research into the matter. You just want it to be so because that will be more comfortable in your stomach

What is Igbo by tribe?
Have Igbo people ever claimed one ancestor?
Or one source or one origin for you to designate anyone as Igbo by tribe?

You don't even know Igbo history and you want to talk for others

The only thing that has succeeded in unifying Igbos is the Biafra war.
Many people never called themselves Igbo before the creation of Nigeria

A lot of you make the ignorant mistake that speaking same or similar language makes you one people of common ancestry. Simple truth is if Nigeria was not created by now they likely would be speaking Igbo in Calabar and you would say they are Igbo
This is wrong just like with Hausa language, it is a lingua franca. Lingua franca but Aros Are of very different origin from Nnewi and Ngwa have no connection with Onitsha in terms of origin

pls, what is difference between Calabar and igbo jollof rice, erm okazi soup and ofe akwu now?
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:30pm On Jun 07, 2023
ehn, is ikwerre people cooking the abacha as well now, and how about der fried rice? is that on par with dat of other tribes of naija, like say d Calabar, yoruba and igbo, because I know those three tribes are wicked good in d cooking for some satin tings and I tink I had a nice ikwere stew a couple of times but never any more dan dat why are they so reserved in showing off their food and themselves while hating the igbo who would have them tomorrow morning now
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:31pm On Jun 07, 2023
alizma:

Thanks very much my good landlord, you are doing well Sir.

ta! der is no such thing as a good landlord okay!!!!
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:32pm On Jun 07, 2023
cool
hassan4:
Ikwerre is Igbo. :-XStop deceiving yourself. An Igbo clan that eminated from Nkwerre in Imo State. You speak Igbo, bear Igbo names, oberve Igbo culture and deny your identity cos of political divide.

pls, nkwerre people are lovely but besides name similarity what have they really got to do with ikwerre, those sweet loving afang in nkwerre totof bingo sad shocked
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by BigBen23(m): 11:33pm On Jun 07, 2023
ACRI:
Good one đź‘Ť

Beautiful, I have an Ikwere friend and Etche man. Its good you clarified the below..

"Our language has many words in common with the Ekpeye , Etche and Igbo people but we are neither any of them. We are a distinct ethnic group"

Leele! You better start now to know your origin. you are neither any of them... ye ye ye. Open mouth waaaaa the talk rubbish

Come Elekpokwodu by big Tree. Na there I dy the wait you
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:35pm On Jun 07, 2023
BigBen23:

Leele! You better start now to know your origin. you are neither any of them... ye ye ye. Open mouth waaaaa the talk rubbish

Come Elekpokwodu by big Tree. Na there I dy the wait you

please, will i cook osuofia head with mama g’s vagina lubrication and a big pit of jollof rice made with goofball and pit bull meat now yes, kita, kita. u surely must answer me oo
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:35pm On Jun 07, 2023
oh, you just answer me bigben international. bigben Tropicana, or e mi obania se matupulcation oo
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:36pm On Jun 07, 2023
who is that Lele pikin vols I want to go to Zambia and go to school ok, say granted and that someone will pay for me 2 go to school and learn about people better ok
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:37pm On Jun 07, 2023
ya but it part of cultural respected. I injured my toe not knowing that I caught an Ikwerre ginger and the distin and it was now severe to the point where it needed surgery and i got better and got the bus home ok
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by yom2(m): 11:38pm On Jun 07, 2023
Edipet:
hmmmm. @bolded , are you serious.? Just learning this for the first time, I always believed that speaking similar language, having similar culture and tradition can be traced to the same root.
where it happens it is always apparent that it is a borrowed culture. Not in d case of ikwere and IBO.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:39pm On Jun 07, 2023
yom2:
where it happens it is always apparent that it is a borrowed culture. Not in d case of ikwere and IBO.

talk to me ok, and pls it igbo not ibo or igbon ok, will you give me lettuce so I can come and make salad for you people now
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:40pm On Jun 07, 2023
livinglongerlast:

hello sir please help me with little amount to eat I ll really appreciate sir the hunger is unbearable for me sir no amount is too small sir 90 15 28 37 28 Wale Joseph OPAY BANK

otiwatibunub, u will pay for me to go to school ok
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:41pm On Jun 07, 2023
Duchessree post =123636807:
Whats the meaning of "Rumu" , a lot of places has rumu in them, e.g , rumuola, rumokoro,rumukini, rumosi. The first time i visited , i was like why does every where has "rumu" in it.

I also heard if you guys want to do party you guys will block road and you like selling your lands ( according to what people say)

number 9, Rumu drive in abia going rivers shaaaaaa

yes who is that cool
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:41pm On Jun 07, 2023
any problem u will deal with me ok
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by yom2(m): 11:41pm On Jun 07, 2023
Gajagojo:
funny.
Like American people?

So you believe Egyptians,Tunisians,Moroccans,Algerians are Arabs?
Did you know that cassava was brought to Africa from South America?

Now we believe we have always had garri
Yes there is a lot of stuff people believe that is wrong
in this case there is a standing history for all to see. Those countries were islamised
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:42pm On Jun 07, 2023
VinnyBaba:

Op,

I hear ikwerre Girls are Next to Tiv and Calabar Girls
When it comes to having Skill in Fcvking Dicks. tongue

Is it True? 🤔🤨

well I deal with your eredtion on, deal with it and we’re condom all d same ok

Ayes who am i just tell me who am I oh I canny believe dis is happening to me oo
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:42pm On Jun 07, 2023
yom2:
in this case there is a standing history for all to see. Those countries were islamised

pls let me cook small onugbu for you to take with vinegar and walkers salt and ready crisp ok
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by yom2(m): 11:43pm On Jun 07, 2023
Gajagojo:
funny.
Like American people?

So you believe Egyptians,Tunisians,Moroccans,Algerians are Arabs?
Did you know that cassava was brought to Africa from South America?

Now we believe we have always had garri
Yes there is a lot of stuff people believe that is wrong
in this case there is a standing history for all to see. Those countries were islamised. Are u saying that the other people were ibonised?

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:44pm On Jun 07, 2023
RacistProudIgbo:
Almost the same in fact same tradition won't Ngwa people only little dialect, but when it comes to insult they hear us well well.

Ikwere brothers Meka oooo, from my village at nkpo to obiakpo is just a Stone throw.

why are you racist, are u more racist than eltham of 1993 or anfield of 2006 or osama hinlaben
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:44pm On Jun 07, 2023
yom2:
in this case there is a standing history for all to see. Those countries were islamised. Are u saying that the other people were ibonised?

talk 2 me now. pls u need to talk too me ok

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:46pm On Jun 07, 2023
headofschool:
How do Ikwerre people look like, man and woman, their popular local food, their famous or established indigenes

eh hen popular food, that’s what I want to know
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:47pm On Jun 07, 2023
chrisxxx:
Food
The Ikwerre people are predominantly farmers and hunters, this is because we have a very fertile soil and forests teeming with wildlife. Our main indigenous meal, which you must find at any major occasion (burials, weddings etc), is a combo of Miniwiri-okazi (with plenty of smoked fish, smoked meat and major periwinkle presence) and Odogoro (Fufu) or Otara-iji (Pounded yam). A typical Ikwerre person of Apara/Rumuapara extraction knows how to Dundu; this is the act of eating your well spiced and smoked fish or meat with your Odogoro or Otara-iji… and without any soup. Yum!

Dressing
The Ikwerre people traditionally use Jioji wrapper. Ikwerre women tie two pieces and a blouse with a head-tie of a different but corresponding jioji wrapper, while the men wear an Etibo top and tie one piece of jioji wrapper with a pair of jumper shorts under.

What do you love most about Ikwerre people?
What I love most about my people is our pride in our land and resources. I also love the language and our indigenous songs. The native lingo in Starboy ft Wizkid and Duncan Mighty- Fake Love gives an idea of this beautiful tongue.
Female dogs are a taboo in my community and many others in Ikwerre-land. This is one of the most unreasonable laws I know of and this continued adherence to a custom which has no significance is something I really dislike about Ikwerre-land.
Tell us about any local or indigenous festivals
One of my favorite festivals is the Egelege festival. It is a local wrestling competition that occurs annually, with neighboring communities competing for the prestige that comes with winning, hosting rights are alternated between communities and so in spite of its nature, it is a sport that builds friendship amongst communities and brings families together.
Please share a few Ikwerre proverbs with us
Nye lo biekun o nye ruhuru soga (It is he who carries the burning firewood that the smoke will follow)

Nshi kamma ke Igo nyorun (The eagle’s shit is best)

Nye doru evu evu gba (He who disturbs bees gets stung by bees)

What do you wish more people knew about Ikwerre people
We are quite welcoming and accepting of people of different tribes.
Our language has many words in common with the Ekpeye , Etche and Igbo people but we are neither any of them. We are a distinct ethnic group.

oh so they are like calling pounded yam almost same in ivo which is utara ji ok so how is they different
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:48pm On Jun 07, 2023

ivetee keanu sha ok
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Gajagojo: 11:55pm On Jun 07, 2023
yom2:
When did Ibo. identity start. It is important to define what it means to be Ibo.If we accept the premise that it evolved over time that one day ,like a woman's breast it was not there and then another behold. We should have some period in mind e.g English language as we know it today did not exist 1000 years. ago. Nobody called themselves English . Today there is pidgin English and a Nigerian accent that did not exist 200 years ago. There is a Jamaican English and accent. Covid virus came and started mutating within a year.

I am sorry to say your thinking appears to be at an undergraduate level not evolved to do genuine independent thinking and these issues are beyond your capacity.

The essence of all cultures /language are very artificial and our understanding of how they arise or arose is limited.
A language can come from virtually nowhere or equally disappear without good explanation
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by engrchykae(m): 11:58pm On Jun 07, 2023
ACRI:
Good one đź‘Ť

Beautiful, I have an Ikwere friend and Etche man. Its good you clarified the below..

"Our language has many words in common with the Ekpeye , Etche and Igbo people but we are neither any of them. We are a distinct ethnic group"
lost igbos or wild igbos is what ikwerres is.
By adding the prefix R in every Igbo town can't do much

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by thinkmoney(m): 11:58pm On Jun 07, 2023
Shigishege2:
dey play
Na una wey no sabi debate intellectually they always use this dey play phrase,
Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo, like Ondo and ijebu are dialect of yoruba
They have the same market days like Igbos, the same Gods and share same geographical area.
Ikwerre somehow are like bitter brothers. They are like modern day Ukraine to Russia.
Again I emphasize that, culturally, geographically, ethnically, biologically and linguistically they aren’t different from Igbos

4 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 11:59pm On Jun 07, 2023
Gajagojo:

When did Ibo. identity start. It is important to define what it means to be Ibo.If we accept the premise that it evolved over time that one day ,like a woman's breast it was not there and then another behold. We should have some period in mind e.g English language as we know it today did not exist 1000 years. ago. Nobody called themselves English . Today there is pidgin English and a Nigerian accent that did not exist 200 years ago

I am sorry to say your thinking appears to be at an undergraduate level not evolved to do genuine independent thinking and these issues are beyond your capacity

talk to me!!!!!!!’n let me feed you
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by angelikoko: 12:00am On Jun 08, 2023
Otunbakayce:
Just another ikwerre slowpoke! You are all ibo people.
If you think you are not, then stop bearing Ibo names.

YOU SPOKE MY MIND....BUNCH OF CONFUSED HUMAN BEINGS, WHOEVER THAT CREATED THIS IDEOLOGY FOR YOU TO DISSOCIATE FROM IGBO TRIBE COS OF OIL THAT HAUSAS ARE CONTROLLING NOW DID YOU GUYS BAD THING. WHERE UNA DEY NOW FOR OIL MATTER...MTCHEWWW undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 12:00am On Jun 08, 2023
engrchykae:
lost igbos or wild igbos is what ikwerres is.
By adding the prefix R in every Igbo town can't do much

tell ruwerre rawka rnnewi rport harcourt rnkwerre dat, dis following boy this foolish new

non-ikwere people you are foolish grin
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by ewa26: 12:01am On Jun 08, 2023
angelikoko:

YOU SPOKE MY MIND....BUNCH OF CONFUSED HUMAN BEINGS, WHOEVER THAT CREATED THIS IDEOLOGY FOR YOU TO DISSOCIATE FROM IGBO TRIBE COS OF OIL THAT HAUSAS ARE CONTROLLING NOW DID YOU GUYS BAD THING. WHERE UNA DEY NOW FOR OIL MATTER...MTCHEWWW undecided undecided

angel, you shut it ok
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by engrchykae(m): 12:01am On Jun 08, 2023
Kennyking1234:
Land grabbers, the most useless type of igbos.
they are lost igbos just like zebra and horse.
The most stupid set of Nigerians

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Queen Aanu: My life Threatened For Walking Out Of My Marriage - Alaafin's Wife / Did Olori Wuraola Confirm The Crash Of Her Marriage With This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.