Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,246 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People (38897 Views)

Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag / Aniomas And Ikwerre People Have Not Learned From History So Sad. / I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Mpanyi: 5:44pm On Jun 07, 2023
Otunbakayce:
Just another ikwerre slowpoke! You are all ibo people.
If you think you are not, then stop bearing Ibo names.

I hate this attitude of some my Igbo brothers trying to tell Ikwerre who they are or who they are not. They say they are not Igbos, at least majority of them say they are not, respect that please.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Pacyrus(m): 5:45pm On Jun 07, 2023
In other words- Sights and Sounds of the Ikwere People, according to CNN, way back in the 90s. grin

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by xynerise: 5:47pm On Jun 07, 2023
Ikwere people?

Run o grin
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Sunisonflex39(m): 5:49pm On Jun 07, 2023
They act like na them get rivers State.

Ikwerri men dey cheat o.. cheating is normal to them in marriage.

They like selling land and become tenant to the person they sold the land to..( this one full woji)

I am a proud Rivers man..ONELGA

9 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by justdream(m): 5:49pm On Jun 07, 2023
Darkandhandsom:
They are somewhat mean/wicked and sell their property anyhow.. An ikwerre can sell his last property and become a tenant. Ikwerre people hardly go to school.. They are known for selling lands and refusing to go to school. Their women nko... They can't stay in marriage
An ikwerre landlord will be asking for rent when your rent has not expired.. If an ikwerre landlord doesn't have a car, don't buy or drive a car as his tenant

This is an APT summary. You sabi dem too well bros. One bottle of baby oku for u abeg.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Emperormartin(m): 5:50pm On Jun 07, 2023
Ikwerre people should start enlightening the Nigeria public and media between ikwerre and Igbo.

For e.g if an Ikwerre man named Nnadi from pH city is caught in Thailand carrying drugs and incarcerated to prison.

Ikwerre people should come out and tell the media that the man is Ikwerre and not Igbo because the more they close their mouth the whole Nigerians even those in diaspora will call the indicted man Igbo.

I have seen some Ikwerre men indicted with Drug cases in south east Asia and serving prison sentences but in Nigeria hemisphere they're still called Igbos and drug pushers.

Ikwerres should start working on this

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by RacistProudIgbo: 5:50pm On Jun 07, 2023
Almost the same in fact same tradition won't Ngwa people only little dialect, but when it comes to insult they hear us well well.

Ikwere brothers Meka oooo, from my village at nkpo to obiakpo is just a Stone throw.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Gamesmart: 5:51pm On Jun 07, 2023
Afam4eva:

Your language does not have many words in common. Your language is similar to these languages. Don't try to downplay the similarity by mere words. But yes, Ikwerre is distinct.

Distinct in what manner?

Distinct sub-group of Igbo peoples?

Or distinct tribe on its own?

3 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by RacistProudIgbo: 5:52pm On Jun 07, 2023
Gamesmart:

Distinct in what manner?

Distinct sub-group of Igbo peoples?

Or distinct tribe on its own?

Which tribe or clan..Abi you from outside Niger bridge.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by PussyKing(m): 5:53pm On Jun 07, 2023
Ikwere people wey lazy and dem no dey work

Na to stay for their papa old house dey pressure for rents grin

30 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by RacistProudIgbo: 5:53pm On Jun 07, 2023
Emperormartin:
Ikwerre people should start enlightening the Nigeria public and media between ikwerre and Igbo.

For e.g if an Ikwerre man named Nnadi from pH city is caught in Thailand carrying drugs and incarcerated to prison.

Ikwerre people should come out and tell the media that the man is Ikwerre and not Igbo because the more they close their mouth the whole Nigerians even those in diaspora will call the indicted man Igbo.

I have seen some Ikwerre men indicted with Drug cases in south east Asia and serving prison sentences but in Nigeria hemisphere they're still called Igbos and drug pushers.

Ikwerres should start working on this

Who is this.? thing.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by chukkystar(m): 5:54pm On Jun 07, 2023
A dialect in Igbo. Politically became their own Tribe. Same names Igbos bear. It's understandable though cos everyone wants to have their own identity. Ikwere people are very welcoming but them no dey use land matter play ooo 😜

11 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by RacistProudIgbo: 5:55pm On Jun 07, 2023
Duchessree:
Whats the meani of "Rumu" , a lot of places has rumu in them, e.g , rumuola, rumokoro,rumukini, rumosi. The first time i visited , i was like why does every where has "rumu" in it.

I also heard if you guys want to do party you guys will block road and you like selling your lands ( according to what people say)

Rumu is like in Ngwa Umu..means sons of etc.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by chrisxxx(m): 5:56pm On Jun 07, 2023
Otunbakayce:
Just another ikwerre slowpoke! You are all ibo people.
If you think you are not, then stop bearing Ibo names.
We sincerely apologize to the general public for this very act of nuisance.The poster is one of our psychiatric patients who escaped last night. We urge the public to go about their various business as everything is under control. We will soon have him in shackles.
Thanks for your understanding.

7 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Arabk25: 5:56pm On Jun 07, 2023
I was born and breed in ikwerre land I lived virtually all my years their before I relocated to IMO for studies. Very interesting people. But don't joke with them wen it comes to land they can kill you. And their woman are so lovable.
One thing with them is that they don't travel correct me if am wrong

20 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Ewedegubbler: 5:57pm On Jun 07, 2023
the only thing I know about these clowns is that they are Igbos pretending to be something else because of oil wey go soon finish...

dikne ohna my foooooooot

ndi mgbu

36 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Duchessree(f): 5:57pm On Jun 07, 2023
RacistProudIgbo:

OKπŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…, i was thinking it meant village .lol
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Arabk25: 5:58pm On Jun 07, 2023
RacistProudIgbo:

Children of not sons of be guided

8 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by OhafiaPrince(m): 5:58pm On Jun 07, 2023
Darkandhandsom:
They are somewhat mean/wicked and sell their property anyhow.. An ikwerre can sell his last property and become a tenant. Ikwerre people hardly go to school.. They are known for selling lands and refusing to go to school. Their women nko... They can't stay in marriage
An ikwerre landlord will be asking for rent when your rent has not expired.. If an ikwerre landlord doesn't have a car, don't buy or drive a car as his tenant

I stay in Rives State and i must say never allow an Ikwere man to be your landlord or stay in the same compound. They are very wicked set of people full of pride.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by RacistProudIgbo: 5:58pm On Jun 07, 2023
Duchessree:

OKπŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…, i was thinking it meant village .lol

No no, Rumu amadi is umu amadi.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by OhafiaPrince(m): 5:59pm On Jun 07, 2023
Arabk25:
I was born and breed in ikwerre land I lived virtually all my years their before I relocated to IMO for studies. Very interesting people. But don't joke with them wen it comes to land they can kill you. And their woman are so lovable.
One thing with them is that they don't travel correct me if am wrong

Yes that's true and their youth is lazy

3 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by RacistProudIgbo: 6:00pm On Jun 07, 2023
Arabk25:

Children of not sons of be guided

Hahaha, Rumu is always Umu, na people way dey hide for my village after operation in oil bunkering someone want to tell me? Na we we.

4 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by alfa666: 6:01pm On Jun 07, 2023
Gowon and Adekunle did something to these people. They just renamed all their villages and denied their tribe.

FYI> Ikwere is not a tribe. It is a clan.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by isycollins(m): 6:02pm On Jun 07, 2023
I think ikwerre is a speaking ibo right

8 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Caleb15(m): 6:05pm On Jun 07, 2023
[quote author=Brownshoe post=123636814]I knew I was matured the day I walked passed an empty bottle of water without kicking it...

Out of joy I went back and kicked it, to celebrate my maturity.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by chrisxxx(m): 6:07pm On Jun 07, 2023
princeemma69:
I only know ikwerre people for selling and dragging land. A piece of land can be sold 4 times by different people to different clients😏
Any day anyone related to you sells land may what befall Ikwerre man to sell his land befall you.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by sageb: 6:08pm On Jun 07, 2023
zoedew:
I noticed the word β€œOwe” is recurrent in the language. What does it mean and why is it that recurrent as the Ikwerre language is spoken.

Oweeeei means Yes or let it be so (depending on the context it is used).
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by sageb: 6:09pm On Jun 07, 2023
Pharaoh4rin:
Nice one Chrixxx

But wait ooo
Why are Ikwerre women mostly ugly and their men handsome?

This your question is so hilarious

3 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Dskillful(m): 6:09pm On Jun 07, 2023
Don't forget to add Ikwere man can sell one piece of land to 5 people... Then they will go to court.

4 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Ejjiss: 6:10pm On Jun 07, 2023
KEEP QUIET THERE MUGU..... THEY'RE ALL IGBOS, IF YOU DOUBT THEN ASK YOUR ANCESTORS.
Mpanyi:

I hate this attitude of some my Igbo brothers trying to tell Ikwerre who they are or who they are not. They say they are not Igbos, at least majority of them say they are not, respect that please.

3 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by smsinnigeria(m): 6:11pm On Jun 07, 2023
ACRI:
Good one πŸ‘

Beautiful, I have an Ikwere friend and Etche man. Its good you clarified the below..

"Our language has many words in common with the Ekpeye , Etche and Igbo people but we are neither any of them. We are a distinct ethnic group"

In Igbo land we have different sub-ethnic groups like that of Ikwerre some even speak dialects close that of Ikwerre. Tribe like Ohafia, Abakalike , Ohaji egbema, Nsuka Ngwa etc. History even has it that Ngwa and Ikwerre are brothers . I'm a proud Ngwa man and igbo what you listed I can actually believe that Ngwa and Ikwerre are brothers. From the meaning of names you gave down to food like Otaraji which is pounded yam, minri -okasi that's Okazi soup even the dressings you mentioned that same way my grandpa and other aged men those days use to dress. The problem here is Nigeria tribalistic politics which has distorted history to suit the game masters. You can choose to trace your origin to the red Sea it changes nothing and nobody cares. Igbos are not interested in your brotherhood.

47 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi And His 7 Wives Step Out Together (Photo) / Urhobo Wa Doo! Learn/share Urhobo Stuff Here / The Ema Dance Of The Urhobo People (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.