Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,143 members, 7,815,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Following The Bible - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Following The Bible (4901 Views)

Sola Scriptura: Does Following The Bible Equal Following The Lord? / Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. / Are You Following The Path Of Elisha Or Gehazi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 9:39pm On Sep 28, 2011
"Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the LORD understand it fully." (Proverbs 28:5)
Re: Following The Bible by joyuchesun: 9:51pm On Sep 28, 2011
^^^^^^There are many who do not seek the lord and understand justice and are good people. Just as there are those who do "seek the lord" and are some of the worst, hypocritical people you will ever meet.
Re: Following The Bible by mazaje(m): 9:06am On Sep 29, 2011
Image123:

"Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the LORD understand it fully." (Proverbs 28:5)

Let's see some of the justice that are in the bible. . .

Leviticus 26:21-22
" 'If you remain hostile toward me and refuse to listen to me, I will multiply your afflictions seven times over, as your sins deserve. 22 I will send wild animals against you, and they will rob you of your children, destroy your cattle and make you so few in number that your roads will be deserted.

Send wild animals to kill people's babies for failing to obey, eh?. . . . . .Good justice. . . .

Deuteronomy 21:18-21
"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, 19then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, 20and they shall say to the elders of his city, 'This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard. Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Disobedient children must be stoned to death. . . .Good justice. . . .

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death.  Such evil must be purged from Israel.  (Deuteronomy 17:12 )

Obey the priest or be killed. . . Interesting. . . .

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him.  Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you.  You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery.  And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.  (Deuteronomy 13:7-12)

Kill followers of other religion even if they are members of your family. . . .Good justice. . . .

Very true only those that seek the lord understand justice. . . . .Try just a quarter of the laws of justice written in the bible and you will be in prison for the rest of your life or killed if you live in societies that accept capital punishment. . . .
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 12:30pm On Sep 29, 2011
^
So again, the Bible is so true. I'd have been shocked if you understood, and perhaps shaky in faith if you saw. You need revelation.
Re: Following The Bible by Rhino4dm: 12:44pm On Sep 29, 2011
Mazzzzzaje! Alarji to ya ya ne? Kana ta buran uba. . .

Ka bi su a hankali mana. Please am begging in the name of God.

Sai a hankali . . . . . .Gagara badau na miji fiyayyen dan kasuwa.
Re: Following The Bible by mazaje(m): 1:41pm On Sep 29, 2011
Image123:

^
So again, the Bible is so true. I'd have been shocked if you understood, and perhaps shaky in faith if you saw. You need revelation.

Sure, the bible so so true to the christian just as the koran is so true to the muslim the same way the verders are so true to the hindus. . . .Once you are in the bubble the books must be so true to you. . . .You you call revelation is simply delusion. . . .
Re: Following The Bible by mazaje(m): 1:45pm On Sep 29, 2011
Rhino.4dm:

Mazzzzzaje! Alarji to ya ya ne? Kana ta buran uba. . .

Ka bi su a hankali mana. Please am begging in the name of God.

Sai a hankali . . . . . .Gagara badau na miji fiyayyen dan kasuwa.

Maza, maza, mazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. . . . . .

Lafiya lau mai gida na, Ya shagali ne?. . . .ka na ta hutawa kawai ka na jin dadi. . .Ba ruwan ka. . . .

Ka san mutane na. . . Wassa kawai na ke yi da su. . . .Just showing them that everything does not revolve around this thing they call religion. . .
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 6:46pm On Sep 29, 2011
mazaje:

What exactly do you mean by this statement?
That was sarcasm. I refered to it as "Mr. God".
Image123:

@Martian
God did not create humans deficient, neither is your black skin caused by a curse. You guys continue to prove your utter ignorance of scriptures. This is common christian religious knowledge found so cheaply in Genesis. What happens if we decide to discuss deep spiritual issues. If you're so boldly wrong on simple things how can you make an headway in real things. If i'd told you plainly that you were dead and blind, you won't believe.

I know yahweh didn't create anything and I know the reason I have dark skin is because of melanin. I was refering to the stories in your cherished book and how humans give them arbitrary interpretations. The are certain christians (mostly educated ones in developed countries) who take the adam and eve story as an allegory while the rest of you insist that it is historically accurate. These are just two instances of christains picking and choosing what to believe in the bible because it was obviously inspired and written by men.

What about the "tower of babel"? Is that the reason for languages like your bible says?

You people say things like "deep spiritual issues" and think you're full of wisdom just because you think your particular holy book is historically factual. i have yet to come across coherent explanations of what spirits and souls are,so when you talk about “deep spiritual issues” you might as well be trying to convince me that ancient aliens built the pyramids because that makes about as much sense as souls,spirits and spiritual issues.
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 7:05am On Sep 30, 2011
i have yet to come across coherent explanations of what spirits and souls are,so when you talk about “deep spiritual issues” you might as well be trying to convince me that ancient aliens built the pyramids because that makes about as much sense as souls,spirits and spiritual issues.
How's it going to be possible for you to understand? You can only understand IF you're spiritual na.
Not to insult you or something, but sorry in advance nonetheless. i want to describe with this analogy. It's like an animal, say a dog, saying i'm yet to understand what these humans are saying. Or someone on short-wave complaining "i tune everyday, and i've never once gotten rhythm 93, do they exist at all. If they do exist, i should've found them all these years on SW." It's not likely to happen. You need a conversion to stand good chance of understanding spiritual things. Truth they say is bitter.

ppen. You need a conversion to stand good chance of understanding spiritual things. Truth they say is bitter.
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 1:09pm On Sep 30, 2011
@mazaje
What would you do with a dead baby? i.e if you're in possession of a dead baby?
Re: Following The Bible by philadee316: 2:14pm On Sep 30, 2011
http://gospelalive..com/ gives a picture of who we are

Re: Following The Bible by mazaje(m): 4:25pm On Sep 30, 2011
Image123:

@mazaje

What a question. . .I will bury it? What else do you expect me to do with a dead baby. . .
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 30, 2011
mazaje:

What a question. . .I will bury it? What else do you expect me to do with a dead baby. . .

Eat it!! You're an evil atheist afterall
Image123:

How's it going to be possible for you to understand? You can only understand IF you're spiritual na.
Not to insult you or something, but sorry in advance nonetheless. i want to describe with this analogy. It's like an animal, say a dog, saying i'm yet to understand what these humans are saying. Or someone on short-wave complaining "i tune everyday, and i've never once gotten rhythm 93, do they exist at all. If they do exist, i should've found them all these years on SW." It's not likely to happen. You need a conversion to stand good chance of understanding spiritual things. Truth they say is bitter.
ppen. You need a conversion to stand good chance of understanding spiritual things. Truth they say is bitter.
!!

Well, to me you're just one of those people chained down and staring at shadows on the walls of the cave in Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 9:20pm On Sep 30, 2011
mazaje:

Ha? So it's safe to conclude that you'd bury a thousand dead babies if in your care?
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 10:38pm On Sep 30, 2011
Just to throw some light on these, especially for the benefit of those who truly need it.

Let's see some of the justice that are in the bible. . .

" 'If you remain hostile toward me and refuse to listen to me, I will multiply your afflictions seven times over, as your sins deserve. 22 I will send wild animals against you, and they will rob you of your children, destroy your cattle and make you so few in number that your roads will be deserted.

Send wild animals to kill people's babies for failing to obey, eh?. . . . . .Good justice. . . .

Of all places, it's Leviticus 26 you had to look for in thousands of Bible chapters and verses, in order to find justice. Anyway, to put some perspective, Leviticus 26 was addressed to the Israelites(i.e the children of Israel). Lev 25:2  Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them
When it says 'children', it's not fully the idea of babies as mazaje is trying to pass across, to win emotional points. 'Your children' broadly refers to anybody in Israel who is a child of Israel. And anybody in this case is basically everybody as they were all 'children' of Israel. It's easier though to even defend the 'babies' thing, but it's good we see a clearer and truer perspective.

"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, 19then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, 20and they shall say to the elders of his city, 'This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard. Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Disobedient children must be stoned to death. . . .Good justice. . . .

Poor generalisation and blindness as usual. Obvious sentimental linking of children to babies, where neither wasn't even directly mentioned. You seem to have deleted the bolded(S) from your own conclusion, abi you picked and chose?

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of t[b]he priest who represents the LORD your God[/b] must be put to death.  Such evil must be purged from Israel.  (Deuteronomy 17:12 )

Obey the priest or be killed. . . Interesting. . . .

This is poor, and showing an attempt not to learn anything new. i guess the people who refuse to listen to the verdict of the supreme court should do as they please, right? That's the way you people do it in denmark ba?
The priest was basically a judge in Israel. They were considered higher in rank than mere judges.

Deuteronomy 17:9  And thou shalt come unto the priests the Levites, and unto the judge that shall be in those days, and inquire; and they shall show thee the sentence of judgment:
Malachi 2:7  For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.
Haggai 2:11  Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Ask now the priests concerning the law

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him.  Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you.  You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery.  And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.  (Deuteronomy 13:7-12)

Kill followers of other religion even if they are members of your family. . . .Good justice. . . .

Very true only those that seek the lord understand justice. . . . .Try just a quarter of the laws of justice written in the bible and you will be in prison for the rest of your life or killed if you live in societies that accept capital punishment. . .
Did you notice the bolded, or you picked and chose as is becoming your custom? Ever heard of the word 'treason' before? What was and what is the punishment for treason where you know? Even the unjust judge seems to fare better than you mr.
Re: Following The Bible by mazaje(m): 11:12pm On Sep 30, 2011
Image123:

Just to throw some light on these, especially for the benefit of those who truly need it.

You are not throwing any light on anything just deluding your self with very cheap apologetics. . . .

Of all places, it's Leviticus 26 you had to look for in thousands of Bible chapters and verses, in order to find justice. Anyway, to put some perspective, Leviticus 26 was addressed to the Israelites(i.e the children of Israel). Lev 25:2  Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them
When it says 'children', it's not fully the idea of babies as mazaje is trying to pass across, to win emotional points. 'Your children' broadly refers to anybody in Israel who is a child of Israel. And anybody in this case is basically everybody as they were all 'children' of Israel. It's easier though to even defend the 'babies' thing, but it's good we see a clearer and truer perspective.

Only that what you have stated is NOT what is written in the bible but what your mind wants you to see. . . .Here it is once again. . .Its was a warning against the men of Israel who do not want to obey Yahweh. . . . .

I will go with what the bible says against your baseless opinion and la la la interpretation, that is only bent on spinning what was written down to explain absurdity away. . . .

Poor generalisation and blindness as usual. Obvious sentimental linking of children to babies, where neither wasn't even directly mentioned. You seem to have deleted the bolded(S) from your own conclusion, abi you picked and chose?

What are you saying here that children  drink and refuse to obey their parents deserve to be to be stoned to death?. . . .Is that what you are saying?. . . .

This is poor, and showing an attempt not to learn anything new. i guess the people who refuse to listen to the verdict of the supreme court should do as they please, right? That's the way you people do it in denmark ba?
The priest was basically a judge in Israel. They were considered higher in rank than mere judges.

Only that refusing to obey the verdict of the supreme court will not get you killed here. . . . .

Deuteronomy 17:9  And thou shalt come unto the priests the Levites, and unto the judge that shall be in those days, and inquire; and they shall show thee the sentence of judgment:
Malachi 2:7  For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.
Haggai 2:11  Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Ask now the priests concerning the law

Did you notice the bolded, or you picked and chose as is becoming your custom? Ever heard of the word 'treason' before? What was and what is the punishment for treason where you know? Even the unjust judge seems to fare better than you mr.

So worshiping other Gods is treason eh?. . . .Why do you guys get angry when muslims kill you for worshiping other Gods or kill others for apostasy?. . . .It is treason in the eyes of their God, and hence justifiable, no?. . .
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 12:25am On Oct 01, 2011
Image123:

Ha? So it's safe to conclude that you'd bury a thousand dead babies if in your care?
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 12:42pm On Oct 01, 2011
mazaje. i dey wait for your answer o!

Meanwhile,

You are not throwing any light on anything just deluding your self with very cheap apologetics. . . .
You sound frustrated, sorry. The post was directed to those who 'truly need it'.

Only that what you have stated is NOT what is written in the bible but what your mind wants you to see. . . .Here it is once again. . .Its was a warning against the men of Israel who do not want to obey Yahweh. . . . .

I will go with what the bible says against your baseless opinion and la la la interpretation, that is only bent on spinning what was written down to explain absurdity away. . . .

Come again? This was what you wanted all to believe below
And i made it clearer that it's not only babies but everybody. This is simple context, i don't think you require revelation for this one na, i may be wrong in this thought sha. Here's what i said again. Always note the bolded, there are reason for emboldening, not just decoration.
When it says 'children', it's not fully the idea of babies as mazaje is trying to pass across, to win emotional points. 'Your children' broadly refers to anybody in Israel who is a child of Israel. And anybody in this case is basically EVERYBODY as they were all 'children' of Israel.

'Children' in this context does not refer to only babies. See for instance,
Gen 11:5  And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men built.
Exodus 12:26  And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service?
Exodus 14:15  And the LORD said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward:

The people in the passage above could well be men, not necessarily babies. It's context. You go along with a myopic, dogmatic "I will go with what the bible says". Nothing makes you different from the religious 'hotheads' except your religion. Why don't you go with what the Bible says here for instance and quit your hypocrisy;
Deuteronomy 32:4  He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

How's this for justice? Picking one verse, and ignoring the rest of the passage, chapter, book or Bible? Look at Leviticus 26 for instance,

Leviticus 26:3  If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;
He then presents the good things (blessings) for them. Amongst the promises are increase, fruitfulness, vintage, safety, respect, establishment, fellowship, etc. They were in a covenant. There are terms and conditions attached to a covenant/agreement. From buying a sim card to a modem, to admission into an institution, organisation, or country, there are terms, dos and don'ts that you sign. Two parties signed/ratified/agreed to something, some ignorant fellow comes in 2011 yapping about justice. There's been no better deal than God's deal with man, don't bite yourself.
So then we have: Lev 26:14  But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;
And then follows the punishments and judgements for breach. Amongst it is

Leviticus 26:22  I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate.
The wild beasts was/were going to ravage their children(which could broadly mean their descendants whether old/young), their livestock(cattle there is not just a specie of cows), and they themselves, making them few in number. the judgement was to affect EVERYBODY like i previously said. When you narrowly say 'babies', you miss the point and cause other readers to miss the full perspective.

What are you saying here that children  drink and refuse to obey their parents deserve to be to be stoned to death?. . . .Is that what you are saying?. . . .

Here's what i said. It's not hausa(and even you understand hausa)
And i emboldened some part of that passage thus.

Your understanding of this passage was "Disobedient children must be stoned to death. . . .Good justice. . . ."
In other words, this is what you read in that passage.

If a man has a son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, 19then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, 20and they shall say to the elders of his city, 'This our son will not obey our voice'. Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

i'd be least surprised if you can't spot the difference between the two i.e the real passage and what you read(picked and chose) from the passage.

Only that refusing to obey the verdict of the supreme court will not get you killed here. . . . .
Almost nothing can get you killed these days. We live in a confused society who'd bashfully do away with all forms of punishment whether corporal, capital or whatever. And it's working very fine, right? No more crime, no more hate, theft, wickedness etc. We've found the perfect solution.  Give yourself a pat on the back.

So worshiping other Gods is treason eh?. . . .Why do you guys get angry when muslims kill you for worshiping other Gods or kill others for apostasy?. . . .It is treason in the eyes of their God,  and hence justifiable, no?. . .
Silly conclusion. Did you see the bolded? "entices you secretly to serve other gods". There's no where in that passage saying kill followers of other religion. Gosh! Even the Pharisees understood better than you. The Israelites were not going about killing everbody that's not a jew. they had/and still have Godless neighbours. And when you come to the new testament/covenant/agreement, Jews and Gentiles are broadly involved, and nobody's encouraged to condemn any other person. Only God is Judge. the new covenant stopped all forms of killings more than 2000years ago. Civilisation is still struggling to pass it into law till date. A couple hundred years ago, capital punishment was still okay in the eyes of civilisation, you've missed the train.
Re: Following The Bible by mazaje(m): 1:03pm On Oct 01, 2011
Image123:

mazaje. i dey wait for your answer o!

Meanwhile,
You sound frustrated, sorry. The post was directed to those who 'truly need it'.

Frustrated? grin. . .You wish. . .

Come again? This was what you wanted all to believe belowAnd i made it clearer that it's not only babies but everybody. This is simple context, i don't think you require revelation for this one na, i may be wrong in this thought sha. Here's what i said again. Always note the bolded, there are reason for emboldening, not just decoration.
When it says 'children', it's not fully the idea of babies as mazaje is trying to pass across, to win emotional points. 'Your children' broadly refers to anybody in Israel who is a child of Israel. And anybody in this case is basically EVERYBODY as they were all 'children' of Israel.

'Children' in this context does not refer to only babies. See for instance,
Gen 11:5  And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men built.
Exodus 12:26  And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service?
Exodus 14:15  And the LORD said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward:

The people in the passage above could well be men, not necessarily babies. It's context. You go along with a myopic, dogmatic "I will go with what the bible says". Nothing makes you different from the religious 'hotheads' except your religion. Why don't you go with what the Bible says here for instance and quit your hypocrisy;
Deuteronomy 32:4  He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

How's this for justice? Picking one verse, and ignoring the rest of the passage, chapter, book or Bible? Look at Leviticus 26 for instance,

Leviticus 26:3  If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;
He then presents the good things (blessings) for them. Amongst the promises are increase, fruitfulness, vintage, safety, respect, establishment, fellowship, etc. They were in a covenant. There are terms and conditions attached to a covenant/agreement. From buying a sim card to a modem, to admission into an institution, organisation, or country, there are terms, dos and don'ts that you sign. Two parties signed/ratified/agreed to something, some ignorant fellow comes in 2011 yapping about justice. There's been no better deal than God's deal with man, don't bite yourself.
So then we have: Lev 26:14  But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;
And then follows the punishments and judgements for breach. Amongst it is

Leviticus 26:22  I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate.
The wild beasts was/were going to ravage their children(which could broadly mean their descendants whether old/young), their livestock(cattle there is not just a specie of cows), and they themselves, making them few in number. the judgement was to affect EVERYBODY like i previously said. When you narrowly say 'babies', you miss the point and cause other readers to miss the full perspective.

I don't really know what you are on about here. . . .The passage was clear if the men do not believe wild animals will be sent to destroy their children. . . Some of them with children must have babies as well. . .You even said it your self that the children are not babies alone, but babies are also part of it. . . .So what exactly is all this epistle about?. . . .

Here's what i said. It's not hausa(and even you understand hausa)
And i emboldened some part of that passage thus.

Your understanding of this passage was "Disobedient children must be stoned to death. . . .Good justice. . . ."
In other words, this is what you read in that passage.

Passage says something very clear, children that disobey their parents, children who are drunks and gluttons should be stoned to death. . . .Will you do that to your kids?. . . . .Will you stone you kid that is a drunk and a glutton to death, is that kind of punishment or justice a fair one why or why not?. . . .

i'd be least surprised if you can't spot the difference between the two i.e the real passage and what you read(picked and chose) from the passage.
Almost nothing can get you killed these days. We live in a confused society who'd bashfully do away with all forms of punishment whether corporal, capital or whatever. And it's working very fine, right? No more crime, no more hate, theft, wickedness etc. We've found the perfect solution.  Give yourself a pat on the back.

Only that our society is much more tolerant than it was back in the days when most of the biblical stories were written, read the bible half of it is filled with war and violence either carried out by God or the chosen men of God against others. . .Worshiping another God during the time of moses is enough reason for a nation to be attacked and its inhabitants killed. . . . .The bible has passages where Yahweh commands his chosen people to kill the inhabitants of another city and sacrifice them all as a burnt offering unto him because the worship other Gods. . . .

Silly conclusion. Did you see the bolded? "entices you secretly to serve other gods". There's no where in that passage saying kill followers of other religion. Gosh! Even the Pharisees understood better than you. The Israelites were not going about killing everbody that's not a jew. they had/and still have Godless neighbours. And when you come to the new testament/covenant/agreement, Jews and Gentiles are broadly involved, and nobody's encouraged to condemn any other person. Only God is Judge. the new covenant stopped all forms of killings more than 2000years ago. Civilisation is still struggling to pass it into law till date. A couple hundred years ago, capital punishment was still okay in the eyes of civilisation, you've missed the train.

So enticing a person to worship another God is treason eh?. . .Interesting. . .The passage implies that followers of other religions should be killed. . .I thought people have the free will to do what they want, why then is following another religion such a bad thing when they have the free will do worship what ever God they wanted to worship? By the way a of the stories in the OT is about how the jews engaged in wars with others mostly because they wanted to grab their lands and because the other people worshiped other Gods. . .The Jews that started the christian religion had to take the pacifist approach because they were under the Roman occupation at that time. . .
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 01, 2011
mazaje:

Only that our society is much more tolerant than it was back in the days when most of the biblical stories were written, read the bible half of it is filled with war and violence either carried out by God or the chosen men of God against others. . .Worshiping another God during the time of moses is enough reason for a nation to be attacked and its inhabitants killed. . . . .The bible has passages where Yahweh commands his chosen people to kill the inhabitants of another city and sacrifice them all as a burnt offering unto him because the worship other Gods. . . .

Really? grin

I wont deign this with a comment.
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 4:49pm On Oct 01, 2011
Don't mind mazaje. It's his nature na.
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 4:52pm On Oct 01, 2011
mazaje
Image123:

Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 01, 2011
Image123:

@mazaje

mazaje:

Image123:

grin @ Mazaje, you need to answer this question because I want to know what Image123 is hoping to achieve with this dead babies thing!! Why would anybody have 1000 dead babies and what the hell areyou supposed to do with them once they are in your possesion? grin
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

Really? grin

I wont deign this with a comment.

So most human societies were more tolerant in years past compared to now Where do you people live?
Wherever you are, compare the cultural climate of the place in the 60's for example, to the present.

I guess it's less tolerant for certain people because thay can't burn people with different opinions at stakes anymore and they can't just lie about everything in the information age. Or maybe it's less tolerant because people with differing views are now vocal after years of listening to mindless ramblings about gods and their laws.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 01, 2011
Martian:

So most human societies were more tolerant in years past compared to now Where do you people live?
Wherever you are, compare the cultural climate of the place in the 60's for example, to the present.

I guess it's less tolerant for certain people because thay can't burn people with different opinions at stakes anymore and they can't just lie about everything in the information age. 

Really? grin
I think you need to remove your head from the sands of denial.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

Really? grin
I think you need to remove your head from the sands of denial.

All I said was that human societies are more tolerant than the past when most intolerance was actually fueled by ignorance cloaked in religious piety (hasn't changed much in some places lol). People don't use the so called word of god to justify discrimination against you just because you're black like they used to do in the past. Am i wrong?

They just use the word of god to discriminate against man-lover people now. How ironic is it that it's the same book used to justify black discrimination that black people are now using to justify Same-sex discrimination. Funny.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 01, 2011
Martian:

All I said was that human societies are more tolerant than the past when[b] most intolerance was actually fueled by ignorance cloaked in religious piety[/b]. People don't use the so called word of god to justify discrimination against you just because you're black like they used to do in the past. Am i wrong?

Again take your head out of the sands of denial. They have severely impaired your ability to be objective.
All the intolerance of ancient societies was fueled solely by religion? Really?

I mean i understand your need to paint religion in the worst light but really?
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

Again take your head out of the sands of denial. They have severely impaired your ability to be objective.
All the intolerance of ancient societies was fueled solely by religion? Really?

I mean i understand your need to paint religion in the worst light but really?

I said Most.
Look, you probably hate man-lover people for no other reason than "the bible said so". That's an example.
another example, Boko haram hates everyone because of the quran.
Evangelical  white christians hate the theory of evolution because they don't want to accept that they are descended from the same people blacks descended from so Adam and Eve is more palatable to them.
Hausas murder yorubas and igbos for what reason?

Tea party members said Obama was a muslim, communist, foreiger etc because they can't stand the fact that a half black man with an arabic(muslim) middle name is POTUS.

Proof is in the pudding.  You're the one who implied that the past was more tolerant than the present jsut because an atheist said otherwise. No? (like mazaje would say grin)
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 01, 2011
Again martian, let me kindly ask you to remove your head from the sands of denial

Martian:

I said Most.
Look, you probably hate man-lover people for no other reason than the bible. That's an example.

I dont hate g[i]a[/i]ys, never have, never will . . . though i do not support the lifestyle. Where you came by the above idea i wonder.

Martian:

Evangelical  white christians hate the theory of evolution because they don't want to accept that they are descended from the same people blacks descended from so Adam and Eve is more palatable to them.

odd. Have you considered many (including eminent atheist scientists) disapprove of the theory of evolution because it has no shred of credible evidence. If i asked you to provide some you couldnt . . . for example.

Martian:

Tea party members said Obama was a muslim, communist, foreiger etc because they can't stand the fact that a half black man with an arabic(muslim) middle name is POTUS.

Proof is in the pudding. You're the one who said the past was more tolerant than the present jsut because an atheist said otherwise. No? (like mazaje would say grin)

What is the relevance of the above waffling?
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

Again martian, let me kindly ask you to remove your head from the sands of denial

I dont hate g[i]a[/i]ys, never have, never will . . . though i do not support the lifestyle. Where you came by the above idea i wonder.

odd. Have you considered many (including eminent atheist scientists) disapprove of the theory of evolution because it has no shred of credible evidence. If i asked you to provide some you couldnt . . . for example.

What is the relevance of the above waffling?

Ok, sorry you don't hate man-lover people. You only hate the sin. lol

You don't have to accept evolution, I don't care. But if you want evidence, you can find it.  That appeal to authority (eminent atheist scientist) doesn't work with me. A astrophysicist can disagree with evolution and he will be out of his league just like an evolutionary biologist can disagree with models based on galaxies' redshifts ad he'll be out of his league. But guess what, they are probably both right in their respective fields concerning evolution and the expansion of the universe.
I understand evolution and accept that it happens. Biologists didn't just map out the human genome for shits and giggles, they did because studying our genome helps them further understand evolution and what makes us human.

I was just giving you examples of intolerance caused by religion with the "waffling".
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 01, 2011
Martian:

Ok, sorry you don't hate man-lover people. You only hate the sin. lol

Just the same way you can hate your government without hating your country right? One doesnt have to equal the same you know . . .

Martian:

You don't have to accept evolution, I don't care. But if you want evidence, you can find it.

you dont have to care, its not like your opinion influences the science.
I cant find evidence because there is none and your response is framed such because neither can you find any credible evidence.

Martian:

That appeal to authority (eminent atheist scientist) doesn't work with me. A astrophysicist can disagree with evolution and he will be out of his league just like an evolutionary biologist can disagree with models based on galaxies' redshifts ad he'll be out of his league.

1. its the exact same appeal to authority that is the basis for the strong atheists support for evolution. you must not be a wide reader.
2. It doesnt have to work with you, those are facts you cant change.
3. When i talk about eminent atheists scientists, i also mean those who work in the field of genetics and evolutionary biology.

Martian:

I was just giving you examples of intolerance caused by religion with the "waffling".

i didnt see any, just a lot of rambling.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

Just the same way you can hate your government without hating your country right? One doesnt have to equal the same you know . . .
you dont have to care, its not like your opinion influences the science.
I cant find evidence because there is none and your response is framed such because neither can you find any credible evidence.
1. its the exact same appeal to authority that is the basis for the strong atheists support for evolution. you must not be a wide reader.
2. It doesnt have to work with you, those are facts you cant change.
3. When i talk about eminent atheists scientists, i also mean those who work in the field of genetics and evolutionary biology.

Country and governement is a poor analogy. It's like someone saying they don't approve of your heterosexual lifestyle because of some random book and try to use a weak analogy about countries and governments to justify it. People elect governments or have it imposed on them. i don't think anyone imposed heterosexuality on you. You are just heterosexual and you can't be man-lover even if you tried. I mean if you can't turn off your heterosexuality, you can't expect homosexuals to do the same, so why disapprove of their lifstyle (intolerance). They don't need your approval nor do you seek theirs.

Facts are there, I'm not going to waste my time arguing about evolution with people whose worldviews directly contradicts it so they won't accept it even though research in the field is the reason why they live healthier lives compared to the forefathers.

I can only speak for myself but I'm an atheist because your gods do not exist, not because of evolution.  I accept evolution because I understand how it works,i understand how different genetic markers affect individuals and shiow up in populations. Evolution is supported by DNA. I know my opinion doesn't influence science because I'm not an arrogant religionist who denies reality in favor of stories cobbled together by ignorantmen from thousands of years ago and actually try to disseminate their ignorance and give it a fanciful name like "creationism" 

So who is the evolutinary biologist who doesn't accept evolution? Is there a physicist who doesn't accept the laws of thermodynamics?

davidylan:

Well, what you call a lot of rambling is actual reality. Read it again and use google to find more information. lol
Martian:

I said Most.
[b]Look, you probably hate g@y (the sin?) people for no other reason than "the bible said so". That's an example.
another example, Boko haram hates everyone because of the quran.

Tea party members said Obama was a muslim, communist, foreiger etc because they can't stand the fact that a half black man with an arabic(muslim) middle name is POTUS.[/b]Proof is in the pudding.  You're the one who implied that the past was more tolerant than the present jsut because an atheist said otherwise. No? (like mazaje would say grin)

Intolerance with religious undertones.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FIVE Sons Of God Almighty And Their Attributes / Dealing With Depression & Suicidal Thoughts As An Atheist. logicboy Confesses. / Restoring Faith In Humanity (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.