Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Following The Bible - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Following The Bible (4900 Views)

Sola Scriptura: Does Following The Bible Equal Following The Lord? / Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. / Are You Following The Path Of Elisha Or Gehazi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 01, 2011
Martian:

Country and governement is a poor analogy. It's like someone saying they don't approve of your heterosexual lifestyle because of some random book and try to use a weak analogy about countries and governments to justify it.

How is that a poor analogy? I dont get it . . . I disapprove of a hom[i]o[/i]intimate lifestyle squarely because of my individual faith . . . whether i derive my inspiration from a book or not is not the problem here.
Likewise, i can disagree with a government on the basis of strong political differences that may or may not be as a result of reading a book on political philosophy.

Martian:

Facts are there, I'm not going to waste my time arguing about evolution with people whose worldviews directly contradicts it so they won't accept it even though research in the field is the reason why they live healthier lives compared to the forefathers.

Please please, dont confuse issues. Just because we have made tremendous strides in the field of medical research does not mean we have scientific proof of evolution. your constant deceitful hedging rather than just providing one piece of credible evidence says a lot.

Martian:

I can only speak for myself but I'm an atheist because your gods do not exist, not because of evolution.  I accept evolution because I understand how it works[b],i understand how different genetic markers affect individuals and shiow up in populations. Evolution is supported by DNA[/b]. I know my opinion doesn't influence science because I'm not an arrogant religionist who denies reality in favor of stories cobbled together by ignorantmen from thousands of years ago.

the unfortunate thing is you're too ignorant to realise you just defined mutation, natural selection or genetic drift which is supported by plenty of DNA evidence. Now evolution presupposes there must have been an initial existence of some sort of pre-DNA right? Where is the evidence for this?

Martian:

So who is the evolutinary biologist who doesn't accept evolution? Is there a physicist who doesn't accept the laws of thermodynamics?

Again that evidence exists for thermodynamics does not automatically mean there is evidence for evolution.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

How is that a poor analogy? I dont get it . . . I disapprove of a hom[i]o[/i]intimate lifestyle squarely because of my individual faith . . . whether i derive my inspiration from a book or not is not the problem here.
Likewise, i can disagree with a government on the basis of strong political differences that may or may not be as a result of reading a book on political philosophy.
Please please, dont confuse issues. Just because we have made tremendous strides in the field of medical research does not mean we have scientific proof of evolution. your constant deceitful hedging rather than just providing one piece of credible evidence says a lot.
the unfortunate thing is you're too ignorant to realise you just defined mutation which is supported by plenty ofDNA evidence. Now evolution presupposes there must have been an initial existence of some sort of pre-DNA right? Where is the evidence for this?
Again that evidence exists for thermodynamics does not automatically mean there is evidence for evolution.

Ok and random mutation is not one of the mechanisms of evolution? You want to learn about pre-Dna and how the first self replicatinig molecule came about, go take a course in abiogenesis. An evidence you say? Well, go read about the mutation of the ASPM gene and how it lead to the development of human brain size.

Anyway thanks for admitting that you don't approve of homosexual lifestyles because of your "faith". Discrimination fueld by religion. Thanks for proving my point.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 01, 2011
Martian:

Ok and random mutation is not one of the mechanisms of evolution?

Its a mechanism of genetic differentiation. however as a mechanism of evolution, no proof to that effect.

Martian:

You want to learn about pre-Dna and how the first self replicatinig molecule came about, go take a course in abiogenesis. An evidence you say? Well, go read about the mutation of the ASPM gene and how it lead to the development of human brain size.

I'm sure you could practically take a course just from reading many of the old threads here that have been devoted to thrashing that nonsense.

Martian:

Anyway thanks for admitting that you don't approve of Same-sex lifestyles because of your "faith". Discrimination fueld by religion. Thanks for proving my point.

Discriminating against a government on the basis of political affiliation? thanks for proving my own point.
Re: Following The Bible by mazaje(m): 7:04pm On Oct 01, 2011
Our societies now are much more tolerant than it was say 3000 or 2000 years ago. . . .If you visit places like Italy, Turkey, Cyprus, Israel and England you will see the structures of old, they lived in walled cities, because of how dangerous it was back then and the level of intolerance. . . Now we don't live in walled cities any more, blacks could only live as slaves among whites like 500 years, now a black man is the president of a white majority country(USA) some thing that could never happen like 500 years ago. . . .Women have greater right now than ever before, integration and tolerance is at its a highest level now. . .A country can not just go and occupy another for no just cause or proper reason, no group of people can invade another group of people for reasons like worshiping other Gods or stuffs like that as it was done in the past. . . . .Back in the days the strong nation just go around annexing the smaller nation as a part of their territory for no reason at all. . . .

Now we have things like war crimes things that never existed like 1000 years ago, we even have things like animal rights in some parts of the developed world. . . .We haven't reached there and I doubt if we can but the world is much tolerant and less violent than it was say 2000 years ago when the big and power nations go around enslaving the smaller nations and their inhabitants. . . .Despite all our arms and modern weapons we are still less violent than the people of old. . . .We have better laws and rules of engagement now than then. . . . .
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

Its a mechanism of genetic differentiation. however as a mechanism of evolution, no proof to that effect.
I'm sure you could practically take a course just from reading many of the old threads here that have been devoted to thrashing that nonsense.
Discriminating against a government on the basis of political affiliation? thanks for proving my own point.

If I learned about science on Nairaland's message board, I would be one of these people on here parroting bronze age fables as facts.

Ok random mutation leads to genetic differentiation and when this mutations are beneficial and happen in the coding part of dna, they can be passed on to offsprings. This can lead to speciation and isn't that what evolution is about. The mutation of the ASPM gene is one of the markers that separates us from other primates.

And your last line doesn't make any sense because I haven't mentioned any type of government or political affiliation. But again, you proved my point when you said this.
davidylan:

How is that a poor analogy? I dont get it . . . I[b] disapprove of a hom[i]o[/i]intimate lifestyle squarely because of my individual faith [/b] . . . whether i derive my inspiration from a book or not is not the problem here.
Re: Following The Bible by noetic16(m): 7:33pm On Oct 01, 2011
@OP

1. I dont think it is fair for atheists to intentionally choose to discredit the bible by distorting scriptures without checking it in context.
The 613 laws of Moses were written as a guide to a nation under the watchful eyes of God, in the same context as we would have a constitution for any nation in this civilisation. The laws have over time served as a cultural basis for those who choose to be part of this Godly nation.
Hence we can look at the laws from the perspective of culture or traditions and covenant. For the law itself is a testimony of the covenant between God and Abraham.

2. So in the context of this thread, the laws of Moses are not selective or subjective but are ideally relevant in understanding the relationship between man and God. It reveals the opinions of God and the concept of righteousness. Man is at liberty to choose to live by this laws. Christ gave a new commandment, stating that LOVE is the greatest of all . . . if a Christian should show love he has obeyed all.

3. to answer your posers . .  . .YES homosexuality is a SIN. Am I missing something here? the whole concept of sin is strictly the personal opinion of God. Your disagreement with it is your personal opinion influenced by your personal line of thoughts.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 01, 2011
Martian:

If I learned about science on Nairaland's message board, I would be one of these people on here parroting bronze age fables as facts.

Ok random mutation leads to genetic differentiation and when this mutations are beneficial and happen in the coding part of dna, they can be passed on to offsprings. This can lead to speciation and isn't that what evolution is about. The mutation of the ASPM gene is one of the markers that separates us from other primates.

the problem with your "fables" here are numerous;

1. mutations can be phenotypic not just when they occur on coding portions of DNA, infact a larger number of mutations are now occuring on non-coding sections.
2. Splice variations, micro RNA e.t.c are also important sources of genetic differentiation as well . . . where do those come from?
3. Evolution is A LOT MORE than mere coding errors . . . what precipitated this initial DNA and from what? Why have flies remained phenotypically the same for billions of years without evolving anything else?
4. Again another one of those who just randomly picks up one gene as "evidence" for evolution . . . there are thousands in the genome

Martian:

And your last line doesn't make any sense because I haven't mentioned any type of government or political affiliation. But again, you proved my point when you said this.

It makes sense because it is an analogy mister. you dont have to mention politics for me to use that to contrast with the bogus logic you were putting forth.

You say its bad to dislike hom[i]o[/i]sexual behaviour because "my decision is based on religion" . . . that is baseless.

1. Is it also bad that you dislike GEJ on the basis of political differences? Does that automatically mean you hate your country (i.e. hate the sin but not the man)?
2. I also dislike it for medical reasons . . . is that wrong too or disliking something solely on religious basis is the only bad aspect?

You're just confused.
Re: Following The Bible by noetic16(m): 8:07pm On Oct 01, 2011
^^^

long time no see, bro, howdy? kiss
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 01, 2011
noetic16:

^^^

long time no see, bro, howdy? kiss

bros na real long time. I've been doing good just busy. and you?
Great to catch you here again.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

the problem with your "fables" here are numerous;

1. mutations can be phenotypic not just when they occur on coding portions of DNA, infact a larger number of mutations are now occuring on non-coding sections.
2. Splice variations, micro RNA e.t.c are also important sources of genetic differentiation as well . . . where do those come from?
3. Evolution is A LOT MORE than mere coding errors . . . what precipitated this initial DNA and from what? Why have flies remained phenotypically the same for billions of years without evolving anything else?
4. Again another one of those who just randomly picks up one gene as "evidence" for evolution . . . there are thousands in the genome

It makes sense because it is an analogy mister. you dont have to mention politics for me to use that to contrast with the bogus logic you were putting forth.

You say its bad to dislike hom[i]o[/i]intimate behaviour because "my decision is based on religion" . . . that is baseless.

1. Is it also bad that you dislike GEJ on the basis of political differences? Does that automatically mean you hate your country (i.e. hate the sin but not the man)?
2. I also dislike it for medical reasons . . . is that wrong too or disliking something solely on religious basis is the only bad aspect?

You're just confused.

Like I said before, getting into discussions about evolution with  a religious person who denies on this board is pointless. I know mutations also occur in enterons and splice variations, mRna also came from the smae place the material from dna came from, the universe. Or maybe god because that's the only answer you want.

Evolution is not about coding errors, and I never said that. It's about mutations that are beneficial which happen to be passed on, if an organism is well adapted, then mutations might not occur in the coding sections again. Cockroaches and crocodiles haven't changed in millions of years because they are well adapted.

You said you said you wanted an example, I gave it, now it's not really evidence. Out of the millions of genes, the ones that make different species and when they occured is evidence of evolution. Like it or not.

Using my alleged dislike for a phantom government as an analogy for your bigotry against homosexual is a bad analogy.
Also, why are you against homosexuality for medical reasons? are you g@y? Did you have s@x with g@y men and you're now scared of a disease? Is that why you don't like it "for medical reasons".
Re: Following The Bible by Omolulu(m): 8:32pm On Oct 01, 2011
Sorry i'm not as smart as many people here, but what would man evolve to in the next thousand years?
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 01, 2011
Martian:

Like I said before, getting into discussions about evolution with  a religious person who denies on this board is pointless.

Really?

Martian:

I know mutations also occur in enterons and splice variations

enterons? The alimentary canal of a jellyfish?
Or you mean introns? the non-coding portion of mRNA spliced out to form the gene?

splice variants are a SOURCE of mutations and not the other way around.

and i thought i was the ignorant one.

Martian:

mRna also came from the smae place the material from dna came from, the universe.

and exactly why cant we find this mRNA just floating around anymore?

Martian:

Or maybe god because that's the only answer you want.

Infact God is a better answer than the above you just typed. mRNA just found in the "universe"?  grin

Martian:

Evolution is not about coding errors, and I never said that. It's about mutations that are beneficial which happen to be passed on, if an organism is well adapted, then mutations might not occur in the coding sections again. Cockroaches and crocodiles haven't changed in millions of years because they are well adapted.

Which is funny . . . so why did apes evolve?

Martian:

You said you said you wanted an example, I gave it, now it's not really evidence. Out of the millions of genes, the ones that make different species and when they occured is evidence of evolution. Like it or not.

because its not dude.

Martian:

Using my alleged dislike for a phantom government as an analogy for your bigotry against Same-sex is a bad analogy.
Also, why are you against homosexuality for medical reasons? are you g@y? Did you have s@x with g@y men and you're now scared of a disease? Is that why you don't like it "for medical reasons".

odd. Ever heard that the thin mucous membranes in the rectum is a very high source of infections? It wasnt designed for s[i]e[/i]x.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

Really?
enterons? The alimentary canal of a jellyfish?
Or you mean introns? the non-coding portion of mRNA spliced out to form the gene?
splice variants are a SOURCE of mutations and not the other way around.

and i thought i was the ignorant one.
and exactly why cant we find this mRNA just floating around anymore?
nfact God is a better answer than the above you just typed. mRNA just found in the "universe"?  grin
Which is funny . . . so why did apes evolve?
because its not dude.
odd. Ever heard that the thin mucous membranes in the rectum is a very high source of infections? It wasnt designed for s[i]e[/i]x.

yes, my fault.  grin Introns, pseudogenes etc. the point it, evolution is real. Artifical selection used to modify plants and animals take place because biologists understand the mechanisms of evolution, if it wasn't real then genetical modifications won't be happening. 
I don't know why we can't find certain things, but the earth's conditions at the time compared now is said to play a part.  Sorry what i said about the universe didn't provide clarity.I meant I don't know why life started but that materials necessary for life are part of and can be found in the universe. Saying your god did it doesn't answer the question why and evolution doesn't try to answer that question either. Evolution is not about the origin of life and you know this!!
You're supposed to be a lab attendant for some immunologists or maybe you're one but you reject evolution when there is a branch of immunology that deals with evolution and it's impact on immune systems and diseases.

Apes evolved for the same reason humans did. Adaptation. Hell, humans are apes. Hairless talking apes.

Why are you worried about the thin mucous membrane in someone else's rectum if you are not g@y? If it's not meant for sex, how come the prosate gland(which is essential for expulsion) can be be stimulated manually via the anus because of its close proximity rectal wall?? lol The only way you can catch a disease from a g@y man is if you Be Intimate with him or share needles with him. Or he could be one of these homophobic bible thumpers who actually like men, then preted to like women and pass it on like that. But he won't be passing on the disease to a female if he wasn't a sexually repressed christian who thinnks homosexuality is a sin.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 01, 2011
These guys are just shockingly irrational undecided
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 01, 2011
Omolulu:

Sorry i'm not as smart as many people here, but what would man evolve to in the next thousand years?

No one knows the answer to that.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 01, 2011
frosbel:

Ok, God did it. Happy?
Re: Following The Bible by mazaje(m): 9:19pm On Oct 01, 2011
frosbel:

You believe that the creator of the universe was going around killing humans and staining his cloth with their blood yet you call other irrational?. . .Nigga plsss
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 01, 2011
Martian:

Ok, God did it. Happy?

Of course God did !!

I am not one to believe in a concocted convolution of unproven theories, randomly jumbled up together hypotheses and a knack for the illogical explanation of our existence .

More worrying is the almost fanatical stubbornness and religious inclination to refuse any and almost every other explanation , that in most cases sounds  more factual and systematic than your pillars of salt.
Re: Following The Bible by Nobody: 9:26pm On Oct 01, 2011
frosbel:

Of course God did !!

I am not one to believe in a concocted convolution of unproven theories, randomly jumbled up together hypotheses and a knack for the illogical explanation of our existence .

More worrying is the almost fanatical stubbornness and religious inclination to refuse any and almost every other explanation , that in most cases sounds  more factual and systematic than your pillars of salt.

Let me clarify, Allah did it.  Not your God, but the one who sent Mohammed. Allah sounds more factual than your god and the Quran proves it. That's not a concocted convulted theory but fact. With evidence.
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 11:53pm On Oct 01, 2011
mazaje ooooo!
Re: Following The Bible by Image123(m): 11:59am On Oct 10, 2011
Image123:

mazaje ooooo!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FIVE Sons Of God Almighty And Their Attributes / Dealing With Depression & Suicidal Thoughts As An Atheist. logicboy Confesses. / Restoring Faith In Humanity (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.