Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,982 members, 7,810,738 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? (15754 Views)

Which Of These Jobs Should He Go For? / I Have From Now To January 2 To Choose Between These Jobs Offer / Which Of The Two Jobs Should I Go For?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Hollyharjii: 8:56am On Apr 08, 2023
Hello Nairalanders,

I'll be brief as possible, I'm currently working with one Microfinance Bank as a full staff, which the pay is #50000 per month and after pension and tax, I'm left with 46k every month, this has been my salary for the past 14months. I'm been used like four man. Recently, during the board meeting, they realised that there most resourceful employees are quiting for better offer as such they decided to increase the pay and likely to be implemented this April salary.

As a guy who want more for his life and want to be financially stable, I applied for one commercial bank job and I got an offer with a gross pay of #80,000 but it's a contract job but this bank usually do a conversion program to convert contract job to full staff unlike some other banks, I'm sure of the conversion

Have accepted the offer and I told them that I'll resume next week after the Easter break but my resignation letter with the MFB has not been acknowledged till now, also considering if the increase the salary this month, wouldn't it be equivalent to what the commercial bank is going to pay? As well wouldn't be a breach of contract to decline the offer after accepting it overnight?

I need a professional advice as I'm confused on what to do

11 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by lavylilly: 10:20am On Apr 08, 2023
Hollyharjii:
Hello Nairalanders,

I'll be brief as possible, I'm currently working with one Microfinance Bank as a full staff, which the pay is #50000 per month and after pension and tax, I'm left with 46k every month, this has been my salary for the past 14months. I'm been used like four man. Recently, during the board meeting, they realised that there most resourceful employees are quiting for better offer as such they decided to increase the pay and likely to be implemented this April salary.

As a guy who want more for his life and want to be financially stable, I applied for one commercial bank job and I got an offer with a gross pay of #80,000 but it's a contract job but this bank usually do a conversion program to convert contract job to full staff unlike some other banks, I'm sure of the conversion

Have accepted the offer and I told them that I'll resume next week after the Easter break but my resignation letter with the MFB has not been acknowledged till now, also considering if the increase the salary this month, wouldn't it be equivalent to what the commercial bank is going to pay? As well wouldn't be a breach of contract to decline the offer after accepting it overnight?

Seun, help push to FP for timely comments

Next time learnt to speak up in board meetings, ask how much would be the oay from the HR or a representative of the board. If it will be equivalent and you are sure it's the same pay know that you will face times 10 of what you face in MFB as a contract staff with the commercial bank plus don't bank of you are sure of the conversion because bank na crazy one man business.

From the two offer factor in which one is best in term of benefits such as
13th month
NHF
Leave allowance. All the best .

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Hollyharjii: 10:46am On Apr 08, 2023
lavylilly:
Next time learnt to speak up in board meetings, ask how much would be the oay from the HR or a representative of the board. If it will be equivalent and you are sure it's the same pay know that you will face times 10 of what you face in MFB as a contract staff with the commercial bank plus don't bank of you are sure of the conversion because bank na crazy one man business.

From the two offer factor in which one is best in term of benefits such as
13th month
NHF
Leave allowance. All the best .

Thank you for your advice, it is only the MD that do represent the staff in the board meeting, and carrying him along or any of the mgt staff along during the job processing might not be a good thing to do, so had to keep the process all alone by myself till I got the offer

Yeah, I'm sure of the conversion

5 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by AfahaAbia(m): 11:06am On Apr 08, 2023
To me I would advise you stay back at the MFB for now till you get something better. Working as a contract staff in a bank isn't good at all. You can be dropped at anytime.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by lavylilly: 12:37pm On Apr 08, 2023
Hollyharjii:

Thank you for your advice, it is only the MD that do represent the staff in the board meeting, and carrying him along or any of the mgt staff along during the job processing might not be a good thing to do, so had to keep the process all alone by myself till I got the offer

Yeah, I'm sure of the conversion
You don't get, ask the MD the new offer what it entails, SIMPLE!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by labake1(f): 3:15pm On Apr 08, 2023
I don't know much about banking job but working as contract staff in commercial bank is risky. They can terminate the contract suddenly

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by KnightOfYah: 10:27am On Apr 11, 2023
Do some background research about the new bank, if green light, jump
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Amuluonyenaego: 10:28am On Apr 11, 2023
My guy don’t wait for a professional advice from Nairaland cos they will end up throwing you off the hook, guy follow your mind but as for me I see a better future in that commercial bank as long as conversion is assured. That’s me to you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by EshjayLee(m): 10:29am On Apr 11, 2023
Go for the new Job.
Why does it take the prev company this long before increasing your salary? Simple answer, they don't have resource to pay for your value or not valued you enough.
Go to where you would be appreciated.

Kill the fear and take the risk, the end result would be great

23 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by bigdammyj: 10:30am On Apr 11, 2023
Reading...

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by ruffhandu: 10:30am On Apr 11, 2023
Hollyharjii:

which bank? Be careful and let it not be fcmb. Some people have been there for 9 years and not converted to full staff yet, instead they promote full graduate from one level of contract to another (some once, and some twice all through the 9-year period). look before you leap.

If I may advise you, look elsewhere that is not bank, or remain where you are.

Also, before you move, understand how much is your take home from that 80k. And, make suer you understand your job functions, before you come back here to say the workload is more than your former place, or 'this is not what i bargained for'.

8 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Carlylepneuma: 10:31am On Apr 11, 2023
U Know wt they say risk it to get d biscuits...
No risk without reward wink go for it
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by oluplus(m): 10:34am On Apr 11, 2023
I think money should be the least of your problems for now, because there wont be much difference in the 2 salaries. But look at the bigger picture.

Which of these 2 jobs would allow to to develop yourself? to go for certification, have another degree, have time for personal stuffs?

That is the one I advise you should go for.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Jayslyder: 10:34am On Apr 11, 2023
Good morning..
How did u apply for the job....and what bank. M
I currently work with one and I am looking to change institutions
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Kubin: 10:38am On Apr 11, 2023
My brother any job that can't pay upto 500k.is determine to keep u poor and less than average,try save and start business, u gonna be reach forever,if you put the same energy and commitment ur putting in your current mfb job

7 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by EniHolar(f): 10:41am On Apr 11, 2023
I will like to advise you to move to the new job in the Commercial Bank. Why?

- What if the salary is reviewed from 50k to 60k in the MFB, will you be satisfied? I don't think so.
- You have already written you resignation letter and you're awaiting acknowledgement. If you reconsider staying, writing a letter to cancel the resignation will look unreasonable.
- They are increasing the salary, not because they want to satisfy you, but because 'others' are leaving and they want to tie you down keep you for their use. That means they know their workers are underpaid.
- Life is a risk. Staying in MFB is a risk. Moving to Commercial Bank is a risk. You've explored one, I'll advise you move to the next one.
- Regardless of all the pieces of advice on NL, follow your instinct.

#MyThoughts

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by brownemmanuel43(m): 10:42am On Apr 11, 2023
Contract staff in nigeria banking sector is something else.
I know people that were contract staff in d banking sector and it has never ended well, it only take favour, luck and grace to end well as a contract staff in d banking sector. U hv to ask ur MD d actual increment u should be looking at in other to enable u know d way forward.

If not bad economy and some useless govt policies, there are steps one shouldn't hv taken in d name of job search, it's well dear.
Still ur sure supplier of dis precious fruit.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by UYEMDO35(m): 10:42am On Apr 11, 2023
It's better you stay put at were u are, am just suggesting ni Becuz Half bread is better than non..... Personally I don't believe much on contract job... The appointment can be terminated at any fuckin time and perhaps the decision is yours to decide and I believe you know what you want then, so it's better u follow your heart desire.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Lannyjoe4u: 10:43am On Apr 11, 2023
Bros, just stay with your MFB. Your contract with the commercial Bank can be terminated any day, any time.
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by yankison(m): 10:43am On Apr 11, 2023
Jayslyder:
Good morning..
How did u apply for the job....and what bank. M
I currently work with one and I am looking to change institutions

Please can I replace you where you are
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Uniquekriss(m): 10:51am On Apr 11, 2023
Who accepts job offers these days based on gross. My dear your gross pay isn't my business, I negotiate with net, find out what your net is, if it's up to 70k, go for it. In the terms of agreement with the new place, they must state the duration of your probation, apart from the pay, adding that new experience to your CV makes it more colorful, you also get to meet new set of people, learn more skills, while you're there, try to be proactive, if you're good, you will be absorbed in no time. Also get professional courses and make LinkedIn your new Whatsapp.

7 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Jayslyder: 10:52am On Apr 11, 2023
yankison:

Please can I replace you where you are

Lol..I will let u know when I get another one
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Devil1Messenger: 10:53am On Apr 11, 2023
Hollyharjii:
Hello Nairalanders,

This is medicine after dead
U already submitted resignation letter and its better u leave cos if u stay after submitting resignation letter, u wont like what will come next

7 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Greatarnold: 10:55am On Apr 11, 2023
Since you have already sent in ur resignation letter, it's not ideal you remain in that firm, e get why sha, no matter the offer that comes.
know the full terms and condition that comes with the new job and also ur take home after deduction, plan ahead, have a back up plan just incase the conversion did not click..

All the best baba

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by HilcomTech(m): 10:56am On Apr 11, 2023
Hollyharjii:
Hello Nairalanders,

What do you mean your resignation with the Micro Finance Bank has not been acknowledged?

You can resign your job through several means

1) Just go to the MFB with a duplicate copy of your letter to the MFB and let their secretary acknowledge your resignation letter by stamping and signing received copy

2) Send them your resignation letter through a registered mail delivery company/organization and keep a copy of your receipt of payment

3) Send your registration via email

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by TRANQ: 10:56am On Apr 11, 2023
No contract job is okay in this insane country as your employment can be terminated at any point in time. I was working in a big coy in the country but a one man business, decided to opt for a multinational coy as contract, being employed as a permanent staff was so sure, infact I was next in line with my course of study but something happened and they need to downsize and I was the first to go. All my hopes and assurance down the drain just like that.

After months of hunting I got a job as a permanent staff in a coy but different sector, they lay off contract staff anyhow and infact is normal thing if there is any issue in a particular shift, the manager will ask the supervisor who is responsible and a contract staff stationed will be brought out as the scape goat to get laid off.

Even as a permanent staff, I can be laid off anytime. So thread carefully. I’ll advise you to stay at the MFB and start hunting for permanent employment in banks, even if it’s entry level

My current employer is multinational but my job was more secured in the one man business I was before, I trust the process though but please think through before taking any step.

Gracias bro

4 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by SleekyP(m): 10:59am On Apr 11, 2023
Hollyharjii:
Hello Nairalanders,

move and keep applying for more jobs....E.T Strictly!
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Thoughty2(m): 11:02am On Apr 11, 2023
oluplus:
I think money should be the least of your problems for now, because there wont be much difference in the 2 salaries. But look at the bigger picture.

Which of these 2 jobs would allow to to develop yourself? to go for certification, have another degree, have time for personal stuffs?

That is the one I advise you should go for.

Listen to this man. I salute the fact that you are working to earn a living but you need to realize that what you are earning with respect to what obtains in today's economy is quite small (both the old and new job) but I advice you go for the higher paying job if it can afford you more time to develop your skills.

Moreover you've been at your current place without any significant improvement to your wellbeing. Move and take the risk!

3 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Darey00(m): 11:06am On Apr 11, 2023
I don't think you have much choice in this matter as you seem to think.

Your current job is the new one you have agreed to start after the Easter break.

Your current employer whom u have resigned from can always acknowledge your resignation and say something like re: Resignation last week blah blah.

My advice is to focus on getting ready for ur new place of work cos u have essentially resigned from ur current place
Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by sherylbaky(f): 11:10am On Apr 11, 2023
Go for the new job, the MFB management are users, nothing good can come from them, believe me.

Y did it take them this long to implement salary increment when u guys keep making money for them everyday?

Something that will even be peanut and don't be surprised another increment might be in 4 years.

The new job will boost Ur CV like mad, u wouldn't even expect it. Just don't relent on the contract job (they might not convert) continue searching for better offer.

Besides it's not always a good idea to go back to a job after resignation. I'v never seen anyone that did it without regret.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Jobs Should I Go For? by Hopez456(m): 11:11am On Apr 11, 2023
Hollyharjii:
Hello Nairalanders,

Hmm, I was in similar situation few weeks ago. I was even threatened with a law suit but i moved.

On resignation, your employer has no right to decline your resignation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Your CV Is Returned At An Interview / Job Interview Address Confirmation / Dragnet, Work Force… Do They Still Exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.