Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) (58380 Views)

UK Bans Healthcare Workers From Bringing Families / Court Restrains Enugu Health Workers From Embarking On Strike Action / 195 New COVID-19 Cases, 5 Deaths, & 53 Discharged On May 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by hammerT: 2:00pm On Apr 10, 2023
Gajagojo:
A few examples
Soldiers went to Uniben to cause chaos during the cash crunch. There was no official response from government
Soldiers went to a police station and killed two policemen. No reaction from the National assembly
A member of the House of representatives was slapped by soldiers and they passed a resolution in anger.
Buhari and his family do not trust the health care system
Tinubu does not
ASUU was on strike for nearly a year. Buhari 's daughter in law was graduating in London
Gbajamiala was posting picture of himself at Harvard.

THAT IS WHY WE NEED TO START AFRESH WITH OBI.

A NEW BEGINING.

NA FOR NAIJA WE GO TREAT AM.

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by staga: 2:00pm On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmm.

This is good news. UK is not helping matters too. They have been indicted of enslaving Nigerian doctors.

5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time

Nigeria's House of Representatives in its tweet on 6 April, announced that a bill sponsored by Rep Ganiyu Abiodun Johnson to prevent Nigerian-trained medical or dental practitioners from being granted full licences until they have worked for a minimum of five years in the country has passed second reading at the Nigerian House of Representatives https://twitter.com/HouseNGR/status/1643996023885533184?s=20

My First Reaction

At last! It came late since I wrote to recommend that this law be passed for years now but it is still better it is coming this late than never. I support this bill be passed as law and the President must quickly assent to the law for immediate implementation and subsequent domestication by every state of the federation .

Cuba has such a law and it worked for all government-trained doctors as they require official persmission to relocate overseas after being trained by the Cuban government https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-migrants-healthcare-idUSKBN0TK58B20151201

The unregulated exit of Nigerian government-trained doctors here in our country has almost crashed the system yet there are several reports and complaints that they are being enslaved overseas. 

https://punchng.com/nigerian-doctors-in-uk-lament-exploitation-slave-labour/

Will The Law Be Effective?

The way the law will be effective is to delay the process from when medical induction oath taking takes place to when you recieve provisional and full permanent medical license to practice as a medical doctor.

All travels by those set of doctors covered by the law will be required to get official permission from the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) for travel within that period and the list to be shared with the Legislature and Immigration service on a periodic basis.

The law will make defaulters who flout the 5-year moratorium liable to conviction if they leave Nigeria to permanently reside and transfer their tax-expense acquired skillset to a foreign country before 5 years.

Anyone still doubting if this law will work should ask any professional this rhethorical question : You do not want a criminal record as a professional or would you want to be prosecuted?

The ship has set sail and the rest of the loose ends will be sorted out even though I suggest that this law be accelerated.

What Are Nigerians Saying?

There are two courts in the land, the more powerful one is the court of public opinion in the scheme of sociological perspectives.

Those who ignore the power of public opinion later realised too late.

There are some erstwhile powerful trade unions that underestimated the power of public opinion and today not enjoying the public sympathy.

That is why I am staying on the fundamental and basic question of "Must the taxpayers lose on all sides?" I am not about 'whataboutism'.

Like this problem of young doctors leaving immediately after training which remained unaddressed until now, I believe that one day, the issue of paying huge subsidies on petrol and electricity to only a set of Nigerians while millions of other Nigerians without roads and electricity have no equivalent subsidy yet forced by the system to pickup the social cost and burden of the debt and fiscal capture of state resources for a privileged compatriots will get to this level of national bill too.

Everyone of those with elitist education seem to want to take advantage of the system and when you ask them a basic question on why should a tax payer train you and when you finish your training you immediately take your skill to another country, what I recieve are cocky answers telling me "whatabout" so so so and so in response.

To make it mandatory for young medical doctors to stay back at least 5 years after being trained with tax payers money is not too much to ask from you if you attend government universities where your education was heavily subsidized.

Right Family Values On Decline.

Parents who scatter their homes and raise children who grow up to run far away from home are on trial as well. It is not just the young professionals using the japa syndrome as smokescreen.

It is abnormal and dysfunctional for a young man and/or woman to finish school and immediately want to move several thousand kilometres away from his parents and deny those who trained him of his skill. It is against natural justice and these young professionals will lose.

In my opinion, this law asking them to stay will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for them.

https://www.nairaland.com/7646704/5-years-before-going-abroad
check my signature for free stuffs!

You must be thinking with your rear ends.

2 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Kukutenla: 2:05pm On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmm.

This is good news. UK is not helping matters too. They have been indicted of enslaving Nigerian doctors.

Nigeria's House of Representatives in its tweet on 6 April, announced that a bill sponsored by Rep Ganiyu Abiodun Johnson to prevent Nigerian-trained medical or dental practitioners from being granted full licences until they have worked for a minimum of five years in the country has passed second reading at the Nigerian House of Representatives https://twitter.com/HouseNGR/status/1643996023885533184?s=20

My First Reaction

At last! It came late since I wrote to recommend that this law be passed for years now but it is still better it is coming this late than never. I support this bill be passed as law and the President must quickly assent to the law for immediate implementation and subsequent domestication by every state of the federation .

Cuba has such a law and it worked for all government-trained doctors as they require official persmission to relocate overseas after being trained by the Cuban government https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-migrants-healthcare-idUSKBN0TK58B20151201

The unregulated exit of Nigerian government-trained doctors here in our country has almost crashed the system yet there are several reports and complaints that they are being enslaved overseas. 

The way the law will be effective is to delay the process from when medical induction oath taking takes place to when you recieve provisional and full permanent medical license to practice as a medical doctor.

All travels by those set of doctors covered by the law will be required to get official permission from the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) for travel within that period and the list to be shared with the Legislature and Immigration service on a periodic basis.

The law will make defaulters who flout the 5-year moratorium liable to conviction if they leave Nigeria to permanently reside and transfer their tax-expense acquired skillset to a foreign country before 5 years.

Anyone still doubting if this law will work should ask any professional this rhethorical question : You do not want a criminal record as a professional or would you want to be prosecuted?

The ship has set sail and the rest of the loose ends will be sorted out even though I suggest that this law be accelerated.

There are two courts in the land, the more powerful one is the court of public opinion in the scheme of sociological perspectives.

There are some erstwhile powerful trade unions that underestimated the power of public opinion and today not enjoying the public sympathy.

That is why I am staying on the fundamental and basic question of "Must the taxpayers lose on all sides?" I am not about 'whataboutism'.

Like this problem of young doctors leaving immediately after training which remained unaddressed until now, I believe that one day, the issue of paying huge subsidies on petrol and electricity to only a set of Nigerians while millions of other Nigerians without roads and electricity have no equivalent subsidy yet forced by the system to pickup the social cost and burden of the debt and fiscal capture of state resources for a privileged compatriots will get to this level of national bill too.

Everyone of those with elitist education seem to want to take advantage of the system and when you ask them a basic question on why should a tax payer train you and when you finish your training you immediately take your skill to another country, what I recieve are cocky answers telling me "whatabout" so so so and so in response.

To make it mandatory for young medical doctors to stay back at least 5 years after being trained with tax payers money is not too much to ask from you if you attend government universities where your education was heavily subsidized.

Parents who scatter their homes and raise children who grow up to run far away from home are on trial as well. It is not just the young professionals using the japa syndrome as smokescreen.

It is abnormal and dysfunctional for a young man and/or woman to finish school and immediately want to move several thousand kilometres away from his parents and deny those who trained him of his skill. It is against natural justice and these young professionals will lose.

In my opinion, this law asking them to stay will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for them.

How about other professionals?
Cause you seem to be fixated on doctors alone as if they took something from you.
It is a daft bill and I expect NMA and NARD to take it up with the courts. It's tantamount to enslavement or imprisonment to say medical doctors can't leave the country simply because they are doctors. Studying medicine is not a crime.
I suspect an underlying bitterness and jealousy on your part though. Perhaps you were unfortunate to be denied admission to study medicine as an undergraduate and the hurt of that disappointment is still fresh thus, you wish to sentence others who succeeded where you failed to prison.
You need to heal

2 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by don3e(m): 2:05pm On Apr 10, 2023
LivingSage:
God bless them.

You can't be trained in Nigeria almost free of charge (because u paid chicken fee as tuition fee compared to Europe) without paying back to the Country, but using that knowledge to benefit European countries.

You would agree with me that such ban should not be limited to doctors or other health workers but should include Politicians (both pass and present) from having health care in their country. These will not only make them appreciate the doctors and health workers here in Nigeria, it will also make leaders in the country improve on the health facilities in the country.
This should be applied to education. All Politician Children should be made to school here in Nigeria (especially, Public school), this would make them take Education sector serious.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Funkyswagzz(m): 2:05pm On Apr 10, 2023
frankson1:

I don't doubt you because it's just the truth you stated.

Don't also forget that the UK government only accept 'ready-made' Doctors.

Well, the Nigeria situation is parthetic and I don't know what else the Doctors need to do to change this when industrial actions have failed to draw the attention of those who are supposed to see that the schools are well equipped.

This is a very big problem and the leaders are not ready to sort this out.

It's a shame though.

Thats reason why most of them go abroad to receive treatment. The bill national assembly is creating to restrict doctors from going overseas for greener pastures will further create more deaths in hospitals cos the doctors wont be bothered to attend to certain patients.

Its unfortunate that our government invest in roads and bridges where they can make a huge sum of money and neglect our health institutions.

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Realestatevixen: 2:06pm On Apr 10, 2023
aswani:
Interesting that India is not on the list, the PM has Indian ancestry. Very interesting.

India has a robust medical system. Theirs is way better than the countries outlined above so its not about if the prime minister is from India. A lot of countries refer their patients to India for further treatment including Nigeria.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Gajagojo: 2:08pm On Apr 10, 2023
Realestatevixen:

India has a robust medical system. Theirs is way better than the countries outlined above so its not about if the prime minister is from India. A lot of countries refer their patients to India for further treatment including Nigeria.
most robust?What does that mean sir?

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Kukutenla: 2:09pm On Apr 10, 2023
safarigirl:

Good for the Nigerian doctors too, because UK no even dey pay healthcare workers that much.

People that have sense are targeting US and Canada, na there money dey. So, anybody wey UK reject, US and Canada dey for them
Nigerian doctor in Canada
Is it easy
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:10pm On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmm.

My First Reaction

Uninformed mumu, this law has been there all this while. It's not a new one.
What the UK banned is ACTIVE recruitment involving agencies, etc.
Recruitment directly via NHS is the main route and is still going on.

How much are you paying the Nigerian doctors that have stayed back??
What's their welfare like generally?
How about their security?

3 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Goalnaldo(m): 2:10pm On Apr 10, 2023
Subtle racism. Why is no north african country included. Abi their healthcare system is perfect ni.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Kaiser20: 2:11pm On Apr 10, 2023
scholarsfunding:
Stop holding and start trading cryptocurrency. Learn the startegy I'm using to make 500usdt weekly on futures trade. Free whatsapp class
join
Ole Ole Ole!!!
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Thegamingorca(m): 2:11pm On Apr 10, 2023
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by hammerT: 2:11pm On Apr 10, 2023
Goalnaldo:
Subtle racism. Why is no north african country included. Abi their healthcare system is perfect ni.
THANK U

THAT IS SO DIFFICULT FOR NIGERIANS TO SEE.

AS IF UK LIKE HAVING ALL THOSE BLACK ON THEIR HOSPITAL WARD

MAJORITY NIGERIANS!
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by FreeStuffsNG: 2:11pm On Apr 10, 2023
Kukutenla:

l
Very infantile and emotional outburst. Go and sue UK too o. You can not even comprehend any of the issues. smh
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Thegamingorca(m): 2:12pm On Apr 10, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Uninformed mumu, this law has been there all this while. It's not a new one.
What the UK banned is ACTIVE recruitment involving agencies, etc.
Recruitment directly via NHS is the main route and is still going on.

How much are you paying the Nigerian doctors that have stayed back??
What's their welfare like generally?
How about their security?

Don't mind their ignorance

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/uk-employs-353-nigerian-doctors-in-100-days/%3famp
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Thegamingorca(m): 2:13pm On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Very infantile and emotional outburst. Go and sue UK too o. You can not even comprehend any of the issues. smh

Check this out before you say it's good news

Note the date
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/uk-employs-353-nigerian-doctors-in-100-days/%3famp
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Thegamingorca(m): 2:13pm On Apr 10, 2023
hammerT:

THANK U

THAT IS SO DIFFICULT FOR NIGERIANS TO SEE.

AS IF UK LIKE HAVING ALL THOSE BLACK ON THEIR HOSPITAL WARD

MAJORITY NIGERIANS!

Check this out

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by davidtemi(m): 2:15pm On Apr 10, 2023
aswani:
Interesting that India is not on the list, the PM has Indian ancestry. Very interesting.

It is basically continent of Africa
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by easzypeaszy(m): 2:15pm On Apr 10, 2023
Wodu89:

Stay home and develop your country is the message. Honestly the health care sector in Nigeria needs serious work
wht abt the ones dat voted LP dey wl be in a special place abi..u bettr let go and focus on developin ursef..hate no go tk u anywer but to wound u
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Realestatevixen: 2:16pm On Apr 10, 2023
Gajagojo:
most robust?What does that mean sir?

I didn't say most robust. I said robust. And this is based on the premise of the comparison of the health care system of the countries outlined in the write up.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by hssd8nland: 2:17pm On Apr 10, 2023
emperorlaqrin:

Nigeria as been in the Red list before now and yet Uk employers are still recruiting people.

What the red list only means is that Uk cannot advertise jobs in the Red list countries but prospective employees can make a research on a recruiting company and if they deem you fit, they all sponsor you.
Gbam , simple

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Masterito(m): 2:18pm On Apr 10, 2023
It is funny. When you vote in bad government but blame professionals looking for better life the people you vote in give to thier children.
Thegamingorca:
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by RaptorX: 2:18pm On Apr 10, 2023
When Nigerians migrate to countries like the UK they give doing it for their children as the major reasons, Nigerians have been migrating to the UK since the 50's why are the UK born children of this Nigeians not doctors, nurses engineers, IT professionals etc so the UK will not come and be stealing the people we need to develop our country. You know what those children born in the UK are 9 times out 10 turns out to be failures go and do your research on how badly UK born to Nigerian parents turn out to be you will be shocked.

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Assurance2023: 2:20pm On Apr 10, 2023
Wodu89:

Stay home and develop your country is the message. Honestly the health care sector in Nigeria needs serious work

So the healthcare workers are the one to fix their countries.

It's a pity
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Alpharey: 2:20pm On Apr 10, 2023
leanonme82:

What does this have to do with APC?

This was based on WHO's declaration last month. Did you read the article? It said:

The WHO on March 8, 2023, listed Nigeria and other 54 countries as facing the most pressing health workforce challenges related to universal health coverage.

But you missed to ask the question; why is Nigeria on the list. Nigeria is on the list because of bad government who don't take care of their workforce. Their salary is nothing to write home about considering the cost of living in Nigeria where our leaders embezzle our funds dry. Instead of improving on their salaries and other benefits, the situation kept getting worse which had led to so many strikes by the health workers. This country needs revamping, but ethnic affiliation and bigotry won't let us put our leaders in check on their excesses.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Kukutenla: 2:21pm On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
I very much comprehend the issues. It is you who is fixated on doctors that need a head check.
FYI, most Nigerians that go to UK go as caregivers not even doctors but your problem is doctors.
What makes doctors different that you wish them servitude for five years in a decrepit health system even the President does not patronise?
Mobility of labour is a fundamental right and we're not in a communist system where human rights do not exist. Nigeria is a signatory to Labour rights and dignity with ILO.
Stop your puerile obsession with doctors.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by AminuRano87(m): 2:22pm On Apr 10, 2023
unclejb2:
After they have harvested all the good hands and left us with the quota doctors and quota health practitioners of northern origin....

90% of our competent doctors have gone except those who own their own hospitals.
Who told you that there are qouta doctors?
Your hatred towards northern region will kill you one day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Praktikals1000: 2:30pm On Apr 10, 2023
Gajagojo:
The headline of this thread is wrong.
Shame that people cannot understand simple English
What should the headline be? Some of us want to learn
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Bimpe29: 2:32pm On Apr 10, 2023
Seems to aid brain gain for the affected countries.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by RaptorX: 2:36pm On Apr 10, 2023
ZionPriest:

Canada is difficult to penetrate for Nigeria doctors unless they plan to go there not to practice.

That U.S route is costly for an average Nigerian doctor Na why UK be the saving grace for them.
Any Nigerian doctor that mistakenly go to Canada will be driving uber or doing security job for the next decade under the guise of no Canadian experience, bloody wicked country pretending they need professionals only that they need professionals to be doing menial jobs because they feel it is better for their society.

2 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Jefferydhamer: 2:37pm On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

You left the substance of the issue and went for insult. The taxpayers have been enslaved by subsidizing their education for so long and it not too much to ask that they fulfil their obligation to the taxpayers. If your parents are rich and successful, nothing stops them from sending you overseas so we can subsidize those who can give back to the tax payers.

Dvmb quote from agbado munching agbero. Don't doctors pay taxes? Aren't the doctors giving back to society by paying their taxes ? Do you APC supporters think at all ?
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by RaptorX: 2:38pm On Apr 10, 2023
hammerT:
PETER OBI WILL REQUEST BRITAIN REMOVE NIGERIA FROM THE RED LIST AND ADD US BACK WITH INDIANS AND CHINA.

WE ARE A MAJOR PARTNER AND WANT ALL THE BENIFT THAT COMES WITH THAT FOR OUR CITIZENS IN THE DIASPORA.

WE DO NOT SEEK TO LIMIT THEIR PROSPECTS.

PRAY FOR OBI
How is someone taking all your doctors and nurses a good thing, who is going to be treating our elderly parents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Man Commits Suicide Over Erectile Dysfunction In Delta State / Paul Arisa, Cancer Patient Is Dead (Photos) / 4-Year-Old Girl Suffers Nephrotic Syndrome In Kaduna. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.