Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) (58374 Views)

UK Bans Healthcare Workers From Bringing Families / Court Restrains Enugu Health Workers From Embarking On Strike Action / 195 New COVID-19 Cases, 5 Deaths, & 53 Discharged On May 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Jefferydhamer: 2:38pm On Apr 10, 2023
RaptorX:
Any Nigerian doctor that mistakenly go to Canada will be driving uber or doing security job for the next decade under the guise of no Canadian experience, bloody wicked country pretending they need professionals only that they need professionals to be doing menial jobs because they feel it is better for their society.

It is a lie!! My secondary school classmate left for Canada and he is practicing medicine
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Alpharey: 2:38pm On Apr 10, 2023
MercySpeak:
Lol…when i just picked Nursing School form purposely for japaing.

Una no go discourage us. We go still run am!

Go get your Bsc or RN first. There are always vacancies in and around our places of work. Even the unborn children will still get their certificates and still japa if they choose. 😀

6 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by beecrofty(m): 2:39pm On Apr 10, 2023
EKONGKING:
So India has the highest number of doctors in UK and they are not banned like Pakistan and Nigeria.

Either Indian health infrastructure is much better than 54 red list country or Indians might have influenced Uk P.M .

But as the red list is maintained by WHO , I tend to believe Indians have much better infrastructure or else why would many countries citizens would go there for cheaper treatment.

You answered your own question in your second paragraph. People flock to India for healthcare treatments. They are not on the list because they have enough competent doctors and the healthcare sector is functioning as it should. The problem with the Nigerian health sector is not the doctors leaving, it is the miserly pay plus the =inhumane working conditions. Have you been to the hospital lately?

3 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by unclejb2(m): 2:40pm On Apr 10, 2023
AminuRano87:

Who told you that there are qouta doctors?
Your hatred towards northern region will kill you one day.
The truth is really bitter but must be told if we must get it right in Nigeria

go to National Hospital Abuja and you would be sorry how everything is a huge mess down there....

That's what happens when you choose quota over competence.

2 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Jefferydhamer: 2:40pm On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

You left the substance of the issue and went for insult. The taxpayers have been enslaved by subsidizing their education for so long and it not too much to ask that they fulfil their obligation to the taxpayers. If your parents are rich and successful, nothing stops them from sending you overseas so we can subsidize those who can give back to the tax payers.

You can't force someone to work for you. That is the definition of slavery

2 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by vince96w2(m): 2:44pm On Apr 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmm.

This is good news. UK is not helping matters too. They have been indicted of enslaving Nigerian doctors.

5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time

Nigeria's House of Representatives in its tweet on 6 April, announced that a bill sponsored by Rep Ganiyu Abiodun Johnson to prevent Nigerian-trained medical or dental practitioners from being granted full licences until they have worked for a minimum of five years in the country has passed second reading at the Nigerian House of Representatives https://twitter.com/HouseNGR/status/1643996023885533184?s=20

My First Reaction

At last! It came late since I wrote to recommend that this law be passed for years now but it is still better it is coming this late than never. I support this bill be passed as law and the President must quickly assent to the law for immediate implementation and subsequent domestication by every state of the federation .

Cuba has such a law and it worked for all government-trained doctors as they require official persmission to relocate overseas after being trained by the Cuban government https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-migrants-healthcare-idUSKBN0TK58B20151201

The unregulated exit of Nigerian government-trained doctors here in our country has almost crashed the system yet there are several reports and complaints that they are being enslaved overseas. 

https://punchng.com/nigerian-doctors-in-uk-lament-exploitation-slave-labour/

Will The Law Be Effective?

The way the law will be effective is to delay the process from when medical induction oath taking takes place to when you recieve provisional and full permanent medical license to practice as a medical doctor.

All travels by those set of doctors covered by the law will be required to get official permission from the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) for travel within that period and the list to be shared with the Legislature and Immigration service on a periodic basis.

The law will make defaulters who flout the 5-year moratorium liable to conviction if they leave Nigeria to permanently reside and transfer their tax-expense acquired skillset to a foreign country before 5 years.

Anyone still doubting if this law will work should ask any professional this rhethorical question : You do not want a criminal record as a professional or would you want to be prosecuted?

The ship has set sail and the rest of the loose ends will be sorted out even though I suggest that this law be accelerated.

What Are Nigerians Saying?

There are two courts in the land, the more powerful one is the court of public opinion in the scheme of sociological perspectives.

Those who ignore the power of public opinion later realised too late.

There are some erstwhile powerful trade unions that underestimated the power of public opinion and today not enjoying the public sympathy.

That is why I am staying on the fundamental and basic question of "Must the taxpayers lose on all sides?" I am not about 'whataboutism'.

Like this problem of young doctors leaving immediately after training which remained unaddressed until now, I believe that one day, the issue of paying huge subsidies on petrol and electricity to only a set of Nigerians while millions of other Nigerians without roads and electricity have no equivalent subsidy yet forced by the system to pickup the social cost and burden of the debt and fiscal capture of state resources for a privileged compatriots will get to this level of national bill too.

Everyone of those with elitist education seem to want to take advantage of the system and when you ask them a basic question on why should a tax payer train you and when you finish your training you immediately take your skill to another country, what I recieve are cocky answers telling me "whatabout" so so so and so in response.

To make it mandatory for young medical doctors to stay back at least 5 years after being trained with tax payers money is not too much to ask from you if you attend government universities where your education was heavily subsidized.

Right Family Values On Decline.

Parents who scatter their homes and raise children who grow up to run far away from home are on trial as well. It is not just the young professionals using the japa syndrome as smokescreen.

It is abnormal and dysfunctional for a young man and/or woman to finish school and immediately want to move several thousand kilometres away from his parents and deny those who trained him of his skill. It is against natural justice and these young professionals will lose.

In my opinion, this law asking them to stay will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for them.

https://www.nairaland.com/7646704/5-years-before-going-abroad
check my signature for free stuffs!
How did government train me. I paid the highest school fees than other courses in sch.i didn't go to school free. And if u say it's subsidized, them other courses got more subsidy than me..

Why can't government pay same salary as the countries you listed but want same effect?

Can government employ all medical practitioners if they decide to stay? Some state government don't pay salaries, no equipments to work with even in some federal hospital so why don't you make the pay ok first, ensure you can employ every one, make all necessary equipments available before you raise and enact a law?

Just like removing fuel subsidy when non of our refinaries work..

Cuba trained their doctors by exporting, paying the fees and returning them home with enough salary and comfort..today Cuba has one of the best medical doctors. Can you say same for Nigeria?

I think its either your family member is a politician or you are no different from them since all you people want is for people to suffer..

This is just han right abuse..and even if they stay 5 years, what if all of us that have more than 5 years leave, who will train the rest?
You guys will make things worse because I can graduate and not work as a doctor for 5 years then leave and do a master's and still leave the country..
Bimpe29:
Seems to aid brain gain for the affected countries.

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by sinola(m): 2:44pm On Apr 10, 2023
Ghana scaled through...na to go Ghana collect citizenship then enter UK grin

2 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by lakefist(m): 2:45pm On Apr 10, 2023
emperorlaqrin:

Nigeria as been in the Red list before now and yet Uk employers are still recruiting people.

What the red list only means is that Uk cannot advertise jobs in the Red list countries but prospective employees can make a research on a recruiting company and if they deem you fit, they all sponsor you.

Bloggers always twisting stories.

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by hammerT: 2:45pm On Apr 10, 2023
RaptorX:
How is someone taking all your doctors and nurses a good thing, who is going to be treating our elderly parents.

U DONT NEED THEM STOP PRETENDING.

TINUBU IS ALREADY COLLECTING HIS TREATMENT IN FRANCE.

BUHARI JUST RETURN FROM COLLECTING HIS TREATMENT IN UK.

NIGERIAN DOCTORS ARE NOT PAYING FOR THEIR EDUCATION TO TURN CHARITY BUT TO EARN A BETTER LIFE.

ELDERLY PARENTS KILL YOU THERE, BETTER GO AND LEARN TO TREAT THEM WHERE YOUR POITICIANS GO TO GET TREATMENT.

NIGERIAN DOCTORS DEY WAIT UNA THERE.

BASTARD PEOPLE!

2 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by vince96w2(m): 2:48pm On Apr 10, 2023
LivingSage:
God bless them.

You can't be trained in Nigeria almost free of charge (because u paid chicken fee as tuition fee compared to Europe) without paying back to the Country, but using that knowledge to benefit European countries.

I share your sentiment. How I wish this can be implemented
then every citizen that has a higher institution certificate must stay..not only Doctors. All of us paid chicken change since our education was subsidized but doctors chicken change school fees was higher.. besides you can't employ everybody..The few you employ you don't pay well...Do the right thing, pay well, employ, fix our hospital with equipment and you won't need any laws to prevent people from going..people will even return..Nigeria is the only country that compares only good parts of other countries with itself and leave out the bad parts..
That bill is human rights abuse

3 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:58pm On Apr 10, 2023
coputa:
India has the best doctor and curative medicine in the world.

Nigerians always talk like this because of lack of exposure and information.

Which Indian doctors are you talking about? These same ones i have been walking with or another group from the moon??
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 10, 2023
MercySpeak:
Lol…when i just picked Nursing School form purposely for japaing.

Una no go discourage us. We go still run am!

Okay so u av gone back to school to study nursing
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by edoairways: 3:01pm On Apr 10, 2023
unclejb2:
After they have harvested all the good hands and left us with the quota doctors and quota health practitioners of northern origin....

90% of our competent doctors have gone except those who own their own hospitals.
Can you come with this hasty conclusion?
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by muchyblink(m): 3:03pm On Apr 10, 2023
The environment is not enabling for Nigerians. The leaders are messed up
Wodu89:

Stay home and develop your country is the message. Honestly the health care sector in Nigeria needs serious work

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by RaptorX: 3:04pm On Apr 10, 2023
Jefferydhamer:

It is a lie!! My secondary school classmate left for Canada and he is practicing medicine
Good luck to him but that is the exception not the reality.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by edoairways: 3:06pm On Apr 10, 2023
lumens:
shocked

After eight years of supporting the evil government headed by the clown of a president, the dead Vulture Meat Griller above me registered for a part-time health course so he can travel to UK.
Now the same UK has blocked his only chance to travel out of his shit-hole country.

Well, now he has no choice. You'd soon see him spamming threads with Amoda Sangolere, Tinubu posts so that he can continue to earn a miserly 30K a month before tax.

The vulture griller studied crop science but his country could not give him a job. Rather, he went into dead meat suya business and supporting the evil government as a side hustle.

Bunch of ignoramuses supporting this evil government shall fail.
How did you know all this about that dude?
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by emmaitive(m): 3:09pm On Apr 10, 2023
leanonme82:

What does this have to do with APC?

This was based on WHO's declaration last month. Did you read the article? It said:

The WHO on March 8, 2023, listed Nigeria and other 54 countries as facing the most pressing health workforce challenges related to universal health coverage.
zombie, must you defend apc

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by beecrofty(m): 3:09pm On Apr 10, 2023
hammerT:

THANK U

THAT IS SO DIFFICULT FOR NIGERIANS TO SEE.

AS IF UK LIKE HAVING ALL THOSE BLACK ON THEIR HOSPITAL WARD

MAJORITY NIGERIANS!

Young man, visit the North of Africa and see how good their hospitals are. Besides, North Africans do not travel to the UK en masse as citizens of sub-Saharan African countries do.

Una just like hollering racism every chance you get lol..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by coputa(m): 3:14pm On Apr 10, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Which Indian doctors are you talking about? These same ones i have been walking with or another group from the moon??
Which drugs produced in Nigeria is certified by WHO.Nigerians are only good in producing fake drugs
Our medical colleges don't have enough and modern equipments to train qualified doctors.

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by 2016v2017: 3:14pm On Apr 10, 2023
November1857:
UK and others should equally stop the treatment of our corrupts politicians , including the Drug lord, who is currently on medical tourism abroad..
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Wodu89: 3:20pm On Apr 10, 2023
muchyblink:
The environment is not enabling for Nigerians. The leaders are messed up

I fully agree
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by edoairways: 3:29pm On Apr 10, 2023
casualobserver:
The British are the masters of double speak, corruption and loopholes. They also know most Nigerians do not understand English even though they supposedly speak it, which is why many countries require our students to pass English proficiency tests and also as exemplified in many prominent cases that have hit the headlines that are rooted in a failure of English comprehension. Examples being 1) a failure to understand the meaning “minimum qualifications” resulting in many politicians having their elections overturned for forging documents they never needed in the 1st place because they had legitimate higher qualifications or a whole former Vice President seeking to disqualify a candidate based on a school certificate he does not need , 2) failure to understand the meaning of “convicted” and “under sentence” hence a presidential candidate is seeking to disqualify his opponent based on arguments that are non-starters or 3) indeed the interpretation of “and” in the constitution as regards Abuja.

Anyway I digress, When the English speak, you have to pay attention to what they say and the words they use. “Will not actively seek” is not the same as “will no longer seek”. or “will no longer employ”. All it means is they will no longer come looking for Nigerian doctors. There is nothing in that statement that says they are not seeking or will no longer employ Nigerian doctors. The key word being “ actively” and it does not imply they will not “passively” seek. Long and short it does not mean they will no longer seek Nigerian doctors.

You have to understand the English man and the English language. In my native language Yoruba the words liar and thief have no ambiguity, it is “iro” and “ole”. A dishonest man is a liar and a thief is a thief but in English, you have words like embezzlement, corruption, looting, swindling etc that disguise what is ultimately a liar and a thief. Be wary of the English language, what you think you are hearing is not often what is being said especially from those whose language it is or truly understand the language and addresses to those who have a simplistic rudimentary, incomplete or naive comprehension of the language.
You deserve a bottle 🍾 for this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by FireUpNow(m): 3:31pm On Apr 10, 2023
We really need to upgrade our health sector and on a serious note the UK should also stop our sick politicians from receiving treatment abroad and no foreign based doctor should attend to them. They should use the various general hospitals the politicians always termed world or international standards once they do little face lift.

1 Like

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Jefferydhamer: 3:39pm On Apr 10, 2023
RaptorX:
Good luck to him but that is the exception not the reality.

Lies again. He does communicate, he is not the only one
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by IamAsiri: 3:41pm On Apr 10, 2023
Wodu89:

Stay home and develop your country is the message. Honestly the health care sector in Nigeria needs serious work

I have been trying to contact you on whatsApp sir.
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by NAC1666: 3:49pm On Apr 10, 2023
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by BennyDGreat: 3:52pm On Apr 10, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Indian medical sector is affordable and reliable bro. Find out well

2 Likes

Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by shinealight(m): 3:54pm On Apr 10, 2023
kings59:
Almost all African countries

Haha

They seem to have something against BLACK Africans….except those that still suck it to them, like Kenya and South Africa.
We shouldn’t have to take jobs to wipe their white buttocks anyway. Good riddance to their bad rubbish! cool cool
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by Le2money(m): 3:59pm On Apr 10, 2023
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by sharone21(f): 3:59pm On Apr 10, 2023
sinola:
Ghana scaled through...na to go Ghana collect citizenship then enter UK grin

Ghana actually has a pact with UK for their Nurses to work in UK @ a lesser salary, so Ghana should be on Amber list not that Ghana has more equipment or better personnel than Nigerians.

I think the body language and media from our government has fuelled these whole thing but I trust Nigerians, even if pushed to the wall, they will burrow through it and escape ( lol).
Re: UK Stops Recruiting Healthcare Workers From Nigeria, 53 Others (Full List) by juman(m): 4:00pm On Apr 10, 2023
Of course.
Policy of bringing in expert from other countries could not be long term solution to the problem.

Thank god we that had japa before the "bridge" collapsed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Man Commits Suicide Over Erectile Dysfunction In Delta State / Paul Arisa, Cancer Patient Is Dead (Photos) / 4-Year-Old Girl Suffers Nephrotic Syndrome In Kaduna. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.