Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,064 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem (48123 Views)

25% In FCT: Exam Question From ABU, Zaria Law Faculty / Solve This Mathematics Word Problem / Where Did This Mathematics Go Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by tenpipsperday: 12:43pm On Apr 20, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

The comparisons are not the same. Let me help u rephrase it to make them same:
Unilag law admission requirements for law, at least five credits in any of 10 science subjects and art subject.

U can see they are same.
Note: we must have 2 different entities. What made urs wrong is this: English is a subject as well as the other 5 subjects. For u to balance it, the other entity must be seen not to be same as the others, like science subjects and art.
Let us go back to the argument. Ur interpretation would be right if the electoral law states:
For any candidate to be declared winner, the candidate must have two-third of the votes cast in the 36 states and OSUN state. Here it is obvious, Osun state was given a special status.

Never knew I was engaging a fool

1 Like

Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by cornelman: 12:45pm On Apr 20, 2023
Bros, the mathematics is simple. Try to use logic to represent the parameters and apply the rules. "AND" means that parameter MUST be included.
"OR" means the parameter "MIGHT or MIGHT NOT" be included.

Differentiate btw the following statements.
1. 25% of votes in 2/3 of states
2. 25% of votes in FCT
3. 25% of votes in 2/3 of states "OR" FCT.
4. 25% of votes in 2/3 of states "AND" FCT.

Simply, there are obvious differences between the four statements.
No 1 means You only need 25% of votes in two-thirds of the states ONLY. 25% isn't required anywhere else.

No 2 means You only need 25% of votes in two-thirds of the FCT ONLY. 25% isn't required anywhere else.

No 3 means You only need 25% of votes in either two-thirds of the states or FCT ONLY. 25% is required in either of the two to satisfy the condition.

No 4 means You need 25% of votes in both two-thirds of the states or FCT. 25% is required in both of the 2/3 of states and FCT to satisfy the condition.

If 25% in FCT is not needed at all, there's no point including it in the constraints. Hence, the statement would have just been 25% of votes in 2/3 of the states.

If FCT was counted to be a state, then, we'll have 37 states. 2/3 of 37 states is not a whole number. So it's illogical to count FCT as a state.

To make votes from FCT to be as potent as that from other states, It's logical and mathematically correct to say 2/3 of 36 states and FCT

In conclusion, FCT is relevant in the constraints. Hence, 25% of votes must be acquired in FCT to be declared winner.

Anyhow you turn it, that's just the answer. Except you want to do wuruwuru

rtdCivilservant:
I believe u brought this cos of the confused interpretation by some on what the electoral law stipulates. From what u posted, it is obvious the territory is not a state, if it were a state u would have have correctly said 37 states... Why do we allow simple English to get us confused?
For example, let's use a class of 9 boys and 1 girl. I may say for u to emerge the class-rep, two-thirds of the 9 boys and the girl must be willing to give u half portions of their daily meal. Now this does not mean that for anyone to emerge, they must get two-third of half the daily meals of the 9 boys and half the daily meal of the only girl. A girl is not a boy, so u don't expect me to say 10 boys, that is where the AND comes in. The right interpretation be same as if I assume the only girl is a boy and say two-third of 10 boys or two-thirds of the 10 students. In the case of our country, "AND" there shouldn't confuse anyone, it is only so cos FCT is not a state and that is the only way of accommodating the entity (FCT) into the grammatical expression.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Obinoscopy(m): 12:52pm On Apr 20, 2023
Trustworthiness:

Different people will have different approach in solving the equation.
However, in relation to the 2023 election and status of FCT in terms of declaration of the winner of the presidential election, we should be concern of what the interpretation given to the section of the constitution or the law.
In the past, had all the elected president won Abuja before they were declared winner of the presidential election?
This is how law is implemented.
In your question, why did you give all the 36 state 100 and FCT 120? You should give them all 100. From there people can calculate the minimum percentage required to win the presidential election.
So, your question is wrong for making the 36 states 100 and FCT 120 instead of 100 for all, to assume as 100% voting.

In the past all Presidents had gotten 25% in Abuja. This is the first time a winner is not getting 25% in Abuja.

Regarding the question, the reason I used 120 for Abuja is to see if 120 must be used in the calculation or not. Remember the question says to calculate the LEAST number of appliers. So if that's the case, since other States have a lesser number of appliers, is it mathematically okay to exclude Abuja when determining the LEAST number if appliers? That's the rationale for using a slightly higher number for Abuja.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by harmonyglobal: 1:34pm On Apr 20, 2023
rtdCivilservant:
I believe u brought this cos of the confused interpretation by some on what the electoral law stipulates. From what u posted, it is obvious the territory is not a state, if it were a state u would have have correctly said 37 states... Why do we allow simple English to get us confused?
For example, let's use a class of 9 boys and 1 girl. I may say for u to emerge the class-rep, two-thirds of the 9 boys and the girl must be willing to give u half portions of their daily meal. Now this does not mean that for anyone to emerge, they must get two-third of half the daily meals of the 9 boys and half the daily meal of the only girl. A girl is not a boy, so u don't expect me to say 10 boys, that is where the AND comes in. The right interpretation be same as if I assume the only girl is a boy and say two-third of 10 boys or two-thirds of the 10 students. In the case of our country, "AND" there shouldn't confuse anyone, it is only so cos FCT is not a state and that is the only way of accommodating the entity (FCT) into the grammatical expression.
U must be a good prof to have dissected this to a lame man understanding. I wish we don't use politics to twist laws in this country
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Goodboy1771: 1:37pm On Apr 20, 2023
Obinoscopy:

Thanks for your solution.

However I'm confused on some of your workings and how you got to the answer. Please clarify further.

Also i noticed you got numbers like 708 and 695 but you still chose B (620) as your answer instead of E (none of the above). Can you explain?
Number of states =37
Number of applied including Fact= 3720
2/3×3720 = 2480
26% of 2480 = 25/100 ×2480 = 620
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by pongwa(m): 2:09pm On Apr 20, 2023
rtdCivilservant:
perfect example of anyone can bend situations to fit their narratives and over 200 liked. Incredulous

By this your analysis, you have ascribed a different status to the 37th state by replacing it with a 'girl'. So are you telling me that Abuja citizens are better than other states' citizens?
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by etrange: 2:17pm On Apr 20, 2023
I don't think breaking it down into simple mathematics would solve the issue. It might even result to over simplification cause even mathematics is subject to logic, and people could still view the problem from different POV's and arrive at different answers. This isn't uncommon in advanced word problems where the statement is considered ambiguous. I have read arguments from both sides, and each team seems to be onto something. Here's a summary of what I've read:

APC:
This team was declared winner. So the burden of proof is not on them. All they have to do is to throw the opponents case out the window and move on with the status quo. And they're doing this with these few but critical points.

1) Section 299 clearly posits that Abuja should be treated as a state This is, therefore, an open-and-close case.

2) Abuja is not special. What happens if a candidate wins in every other state and not Abuja? Are we going to let the few people in Abuja hold the entire country to ransom? That's not logical. In the case of such ambiguity, the law demands that we take the logical conclusion.

LP:
This team has the difficult task of stopping a moving train. Here's thier argument.

1) If section 299 treats Abuja as a state and section 301(a) states that the president is referenced as the governor. It, therefore, makes logical sense why section 135 demands that the president must win 25% in the "state" where he doubles as the governor. He is not just the president of Nigeria but the governor of Abuja. And just like the residents of each state have the right to decide thier governor, Abuja residents' vote should also have a reasonable amount of influence on who gets into Aso Rock. If you feel it's not not logical, you can demand for the constitution to be amended, but as far as it exists, the interpretation is clear.

2) In law, where there is a conflict between a general and a specific provision, the specific provision will prevail over the general provision and in the instance case Section 299 has been the general provision to give way to the more specific provision of Section 134.

4) In law, the expression of one thing implies the exclusion of another not mentioned. If I had a car with two rear camera attachments, and I gave you the key and said the car is now yours, the assumption would be that the car, including everything inside, is yours. However if I said "the car and the circular rear camera attachment are now yours", it would imply that the non circular rear attachment doesn't come with the gift. If Abuja was to be treated like any other state, the constitution wouldn't have bothered saying "... and the federal capital territory, Abuja".

5) Both the boolean logic and linguistic rules agree that "AND" should be interpreted as "in addition to". We also have precedent cases where this word has specifically received the torchlight as it was a determiner, and the interpretation was the same. So this is an open-and-close case.

I'm eager to see how this ends. The outcome will set a huge precedence. I just hope it won't lead to chaos.

2 Likes

Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by TOPEADE1: 2:41pm On Apr 20, 2023
I placed all requirements in a paid chat GPT account and the outcome shows we don't have a president elect at the moment.

To recruit at least 25% of people from at least two-thirds of the States and the Territory, we first need to calculate the number of States and the Territory that the recruiting firm needs to cover.
There are 36 States and 1 Territory. Two-thirds of the States would be (2/3) * 36 = 24. So, the recruiting firm needs to employ people from at least 24 States and the Territory.

Now, 25% of people from each State would be:

25% of 100 people = 0.25 * 100 = 25 people

And 25% of people from the Territory would be:

25% of 120 people = 0.25 * 120 = 30 people

Minimum number of people to be employed from the 24 States and the Territory would be:

(24 States * 25 people) + (1 Territory * 30 people) = 600 + 30 = 630

So, the correct answer for the first question is D. 630.

In the second question, the Territory is considered as a State. So, we now have a total of 37 States. The recruiting firm is required to recruit at least 25% of people from at least two-thirds of these 37 States.
Two-thirds of 37 States would be (2/3) * 37 ≈ 24.67. Since we can't have a fraction of a State, we need to round up to 25 States.

Now, 25% of people from each State would still be:

25% of 100 people = 0.25 * 100 = 25 people

Minimum number of people to be employed from the 25 States would be:

25 States * 25 people = 625

So, the correct answer for the second question is C. 625.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by 2016easy2017: 2:49pm On Apr 20, 2023
WesternPanzer:
No need of speaking long grammar. I have another formular albeit more straight forward.

(A) To gain admission to UNIZIK, a candidate must score at least C in 6 subjects including Mathematics and English. Even if you scored As in 9 subjects but had Fs in English and Maths, you have failed automatically.

The Admissions board by this demand confers special status on Mathematics and English even though they are still "subjects" like others.

By implication, same situation applies to the 25% requirement in my opinion.

The Constitution by that section granted Special Status to Abuja as the Federal Capital Territory even though it may still be interpreted as a State.

As long as Tinubu did not score 25% in Abuja, he is an illegal President Elect based on the constitution. Reason most world leaders are not congratulating him.

This is also why Datti Ahmed said that swearing in Tinubu will be an assault on Nigeria's Democracy because doing so would be unconstitutional.

But what do I know? Nigeria has always been a huge crime scene where the highest criminals gets their way. Know this and know peace.

N.B
One reminder to those quoting me. Lets not also Forget that The So called President elect forfeited 460,000 dollars in money related to drug crimes. Do you honestly believe that if he didnt know he will be convicted, he will forfeit that money? undecided undecided

The Tinubu I know as a Sly Fox is well aware that the US authorities have damning evidence against him and pursuing "Not Guilty" will nail him to the Cross of Chicago. Reason he forfeited. Make no mistakes about this.

INCLUDING not same as AND
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Onyiridike(f): 2:58pm On Apr 20, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

For anyone to be declared winner it is not mandatory that the candidate must score 25% of the votes cast in Abuja(FCT) provided the candidate is able to ganer 25% of the total of 37 entities.
For you to be admitted into the university, you must have 5 credits in WAEC, English and Maths inclusive.
So even if you have 7As and got E in English and Maths, you can't be admitted.

1 Like

Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by rtdCivilservant: 3:39pm On Apr 20, 2023
tenpipsperday:

Never knew I was engaging a fool
Stupid people always result to insulting their superiors when they have nothing meaningful to say.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Niceiroko: 3:40pm On Apr 20, 2023
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Xammie001(m): 5:15pm On Apr 20, 2023
So are you telling me those voters in ABUJA are special Voters than we voters in the 36 states when we for sure know we do not practice the Collage system here in NIGERIA.
IKORODU CHIEF JUDGE

WesternPanzer:
No need of speaking long grammar. I have another formular albeit more straight forward.

(A) To gain admission to UNIZIK, a candidate must score at least C in 6 subjects including Mathematics and English. Even if you scored As in 9 subjects but had Fs in English and Maths, you have failed automatically.

The Admissions board by this demand confers special status on Mathematics and English even though they are still "subjects" like others.

By implication, same situation applies to the 25% requirement in my opinion.

The Constitution by that section granted Special Status to Abuja as the Federal Capital Territory even though it may still be interpreted as a State.

As long as Tinubu did not score 25% in Abuja, he is an illegal President Elect based on the constitution. Reason most world leaders are not congratulating him.

This is also why Datti Ahmed said that swearing in Tinubu will be an assault on Nigeria's Democracy because doing so would be unconstitutional.

But what do I know? Nigeria has always been a huge crime scene where the highest criminals gets their way. Know this and know peace.

N.B
One reminder to those quoting me. Lets not also Forget that The So called President elect forfeited 460,000 dollars in money related to drug crimes. Do you honestly believe that if he didnt know he will be convicted, he will forfeit that money? undecided undecided

The Tinubu I know as a Sly Fox is well aware that the US authorities have damning evidence against him and pursuing "Not Guilty" will nail him to the Cross of Chicago. Reason he forfeited. Make no mistakes about this.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Xammie001(m): 5:20pm On Apr 20, 2023
Sentiment apart i feel we all should digest what we are all driving at about this elections.
see ehn NO ONE is WRONG likewise NO ONE is RIGHT because we are seeing from different stand point and belief
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by ojoblues2000: 7:05pm On Apr 20, 2023
some people are just wailing for nothing.
let assuming we have 8 parts of speech, which is stated as follows- NOUN, PRONOUN, VERB , ADVERB, ADJECTIVE, PREPOSITION, CONJUCTION "AND' INTERJECTION
And in a question you are asked to list 5 out of this 8 part of speech before you can pass the exam, if you list the first five and you didn't include the last one that was conjucted with AND. WILL YOU PASS THE EXAM OR YOU FAIL?
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by lildush(m): 7:57pm On Apr 20, 2023
flokii:

See a shrink before you'll go and disgrace your entire generation in public.

Labour Party had no candidate and no votes in the last presidential election as far as Section 77 of the amended electoral act 2022 is concerned. INEC committed a big blunder including LP's logo on the ballot.

Let a fresh election be conducted.. that's all. We can't have a drug lord and Boko Haram leader as our president a d vice president.. period.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Toks2008(m): 10:25pm On Apr 20, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

Sorry, 25%, in two-third of the 37 entities.
And what is two third of 37?

So which state will be ascribed to 0.66?
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by SeeItSayIt: 10:40pm On Apr 20, 2023
ShowYourCertificate:
The answer is very simple:

Let the States be S and the Territory be t.

Thus the requirement is: A quarter of two thirds of S AND a quarter of t

You have 36 States (from at least 24 of which appliers are chosen) as well as 1 territory where to recruit its quarter from. Here, the firm recruits 25 appliers from each of the 24 States, AND 30 appliers from the territory, which is a total of 630
appliers.

The formula here is [(23×36)×(14×100)]+(14×120)=[(24×25)]+30

=630 appliers. QED

The second question doesn't change my answer. This is because even if the Territory is considered a State. The AND in the requirement has it compulsory that 25% must be recruited from that "State".

Perfect! Your analysis shows you're a mathematician.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by rtdCivilservant: 11:33pm On Apr 20, 2023
Toks2008:

And what is two third of 37?

So which state will be ascribed to 0.66?
It is 25 Oga. This is reality and not theory. U will agree with me that in ur maths days in school, there are figures that u know are not realistic. U could have one and a half people in theory, but u know realistically, u take it as 2.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Toks2008(m): 11:36pm On Apr 20, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

It is 25 Oga.

Stop arguing.

Do the maths yourself
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by rtdCivilservant: 11:37pm On Apr 20, 2023
Toks2008:

Stop arguing.

Do the maths yourself
Oga it is 25 states in this case, this is not theory mr man.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Trustyourself: 11:37pm On Apr 20, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

Keep supporting illegality because of tribalism.

Hunger is already dealing with your people...
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by rtdCivilservant: 11:42pm On Apr 20, 2023
Trustyourself:

Keep supporting illegality because of tribalism.

Hunger is already dealing with your people...
I am one of the most Liberal Nigerian alive. For ur information, I am Igbo, I may not like Tinubu, but that doesn't mean I should now twist clear narratives cos of hatred.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Toks2008(m): 12:12am On Apr 21, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

Oga it is 25 states in this case, this is not theory mr man.

2/3 X 37 = 24.666

Stop disgracing yourself
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Larryndelaw: 2:49am On Apr 21, 2023
Queendera:
it's not special status. It's the condition for winning election.

We have 36 states but you only need 25% in 24 states.

Does that mean those 24 states are special? No, it is only the condition.

Including Abuja as a requirement is nothing special but only inclusiveness just as the other 24 states.
Abuja is not a requirement. If Abuja is a requirement so the votes cast in your village should also be a requirement. Get that right bro.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by sharpchap: 5:27am On Apr 21, 2023
ALL OF YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT. AN INTERPRETATION ALREADY EXISTS. A SITUATION WAS FOUND IN THE CONSTITUTION. AN AMBIGUOUS POINT ON WHICH THE WHOLE NATION WAS SPLIT 50/50. A COIN THAT WAS TOSSED THAT LANDED ON ITS EDGE INSTEAD OF A FACE. THE JUDGES IN THEIR WISDOM USED THEIR FINGER TO PUSH THE COIN (AS IS THEIR RIGHT) AND IT LANDED IN ONE DIRECTION WHICH WAS ADOPTED BY THE ENTIRE NATION FROM THEN AND MOVING FORWARD ACCEPTED AS THE RULE (NO MATTER THE INTERPRETATION YOU CAN FIND FROM ANY CORNER OF THE UNIVERSE, FOR PURPOSES OF NIGERIAN ELECTIONS THIS IS THE RULE/INTERPRETATION, PERIOD!) . YOU WERE AWARE OF THIS RULE, YOU ACCEPTED IT AND WENT AHEAD TO PLAY THE GAME. YOU CANNOT CHANGE THIS RULE AFTER PLAYING THE GAME TO ALTER THE RESULTS OF THE GAME BECAUSE THE RESULTS DID NOT FAVOUR YOU! IT IS LIKE SAYING YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE SIZE OF THE FOOTBALL GOALPOST AFTER A GAME SUCH THAT ALL BALLS THAT WENT OVER THE BAR ARE NOW GOALS. THAT IS FRAUD!!!! SHOULD THE COURTS COMMIT FRAUD AGAINST THEMSELVES ONCE A CONSTITUTION HAS BEEN INTERPRETED IN THIS MANNER, TO BRING THE MATTER UP AGAIN FOR RE-INTERPRETATION IS CONTEMPTUOUS, INSULTING AND DENIGRATING. IT MAKES A MOCKERY OF THE JUDICIARY AND THE CONSTITUTION. THE JUDGES MUST HANDLE IT DECISIVELY TO SALVAGE THEIR HONOUR AND DIGNITY AND NOT ALLOW POLITICIANS TURN THEM TO FOOLS.
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Queendera(f): 6:36am On Apr 21, 2023
Larryndelaw:
Abuja is not a requirement. If Abuja is a requirement so the votes cast in your village should also be a requirement. Get that right bro.
the vote in my village is a requirement.

A portion of the 25% of 24 states. Understand that sis
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Larryndelaw: 8:05am On Apr 21, 2023
Queendera:
the vote in my village is a requirement.

A portion of the 25% of 24 states. Understand that sis
Go school you refused
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Karlifate: 8:07am On Apr 21, 2023
PlayerMeji:
Tinubu has at least 4 years as your president..if you like use calculus dey solve linear equation...

yeye...

😂😂

No mind them.

They will rest after BAT has been sworn in on May 29.

1 Like

Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by DonroxyII: 8:25am On Apr 21, 2023
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by DonroxyII: 8:27am On Apr 21, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

For anyone to be declared winner it is not mandatory that the candidate must score 25% of the votes cast in Abuja(FCT) provided the candidate is able to ganer 25% of the total of 37 entities.
25% of total votes of 24.67States say 25states approximately including the FCT as a State !
Re: 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem by Queendera(f): 8:48am On Apr 21, 2023
Larryndelaw:
Go school you refused
and you went to school but still dumb

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

University Of Uyo Cult War: Security Man Injured (Graphic Photos) / Python Chases Students Of Novena University, Ogume, Delta State / Nigerian Breaks Academic Record At University Of Manchester!!! Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.