Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Which Glass Has More Water? - Forum Games (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Forum Games / Which Glass Has More Water? (42043 Views)

Brain Teaser: Which Glass Will Be Filled First And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by drlaykay(m): 12:02pm On Apr 22, 2023
CaptainFM1:

Your last sentence in the bracket is only correct if it is Fresh water i.e Relative density of 1.000. Otherwise, 2mls will not always equate 2g.

Also, it's a whole new game when temperature and pressure comes into it.

The density of the waters are very important. We don't know if the water is Fresh water, Salt water, Dock water etc. The more impurities the water contains, the denser it becomes.

Since we don't have a range of scientific parameters, for me it is not possible to decide which glass has more water unless you are physically present to conduct a proven scientific examination.

Making a decision from picture image is like a doctor issuing synopsis without seeing the patient for diagnosis.
You are very correct. Density of the fluid, which is a factor in determining it's mass and/or volume, has everything to do with the impurity of the liquid. But on a norm, we assume water is free of impurities unless told otherwise hence, my assertion.

I also did not completely agree with the answer as the weight of an object can't be determined by just looking at it. One can't say because it's bigger, then it's of bigger weight. I only tried schooling the PatrickOkunima who knows a law but didn't attend the laboratory when it's application was being taught. Imagine him saying one can't convert mass to volume. He could as well be an art student who Google is helping to participate in an argument so as to feel important.

Even the video he dropped, he doesn't understand it.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by kpompey: 12:02pm On Apr 22, 2023
PatrickOkunima:

What you wrote there is not Archimedes principle. According to Archimede's principles, when an object is immersed in a fluid (liquid or gas), it experiences a loss in weight equal to the mass of the liquid displaced.
It should be law of floatation and not Archimedes principle.He made a mistake.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by rolams(m): 12:08pm On Apr 22, 2023
B
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by zhirkovrado(m): 12:16pm On Apr 22, 2023
PatrickOkunima:

What you wrote there is not Archimedes principle. According to Archimede's principles, when an object is immersed in a fluid (liquid or gas), it experiences a loss in weight equal to the mass of the liquid displaced.
He's correct, stop being confused.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by zhirkovrado(m): 12:17pm On Apr 22, 2023
kpompey:

It should be law of floatation and not Archimedes principle.He made a mistake.
What is law of floatation and what brought about the law of floatation?
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by imagrg(m): 12:18pm On Apr 22, 2023
B
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by CaptainFM1: 12:20pm On Apr 22, 2023
richmond500:
normal water is the water you drink at home which has room temperature.

TBH, You do not need those parameters to answer the question

I've said this already. If you want me to answer this as a bus conductor doing "flip-bottle-and-chop challenge" in a garage....then I will reason as that.

But if you want it answered as a scientist, you must bring in all your gears. Scientist works with facts and not assumptions.

Mind you, everybody's normal water is different, with varying densities even under room temperature.

For you to mention room temperature shows that you are already bringing in scientific parameters.

Also, room temperature itself is arbitrary relative to ambient temperature.

May I ask, are you a scientist?
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by delishpot: 12:26pm On Apr 22, 2023
B
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by mechanics(m): 12:26pm On Apr 22, 2023
B
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by richmond500: 12:28pm On Apr 22, 2023
CaptainFM1:

I've said this already. If you want me to answer this as a bus conductor doing "flip-bottle-and-chop challenge" in a garage....then I will reason as that.

But if you want it answered as a scientist, you must bring in all your gears. Scientist works with facts and not assumptions.

Mind you, everybody's normal water is different, with varying densities even under room temperature.

For you to mention room temperature shows that you are already bringing in scientific parameters.

Also, room temperature itself is arbitrary relative to ambient temperature.

May I ask, are you a scientist?
I was a science student, I am not a scientist but a data analyst.
The question doesn't need much scientific application, you are just forming Isaac Newton for nothing, what you need to answer that question on FP is basic IQ.
NL has people from every category in life, some person's here has no idea what density means.
The question is meant for everyone, if you answer it the way that people didn't get your message, then you haven't answered the question.
A philosopher will answer the question in a philosophical manner, an agriculturist will answer it differently, a scientist will answer it differently, an economist will have his own terms.
But those aren't necessary, it's a basic question that needs basic answer
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by ejor1: 12:29pm On Apr 22, 2023
B because it contain smaller object.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by chidiwar(m): 12:29pm On Apr 22, 2023
chibestjerry:
60% of people will fail this!
Which of the Glass has more water?
A?
B?
C?
D?

B
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by mrvitalis(m): 12:33pm On Apr 22, 2023
DrayZee:

You sure?
Imagine an iPhone that happens to weigh 100kg, and a Toyota Highlander that also weighs 100kg.
Would both objects displace the same amount/weight of water if dropped in a swimming pool that was filled to the brim?
Yes ...if the weight of the water can't displace water enough it would float
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Uchedizzy(f): 12:37pm On Apr 22, 2023
B
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by CaptainFM1: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2023
richmond500:
I was a science student, I am not a scientist but a data analyst.
The question doesn't need much scientific application, you are just forming Isaac Newton for nothing, what you need to answer that question on FP is basic IQ.
NL has people from every category in life, some person's here has no idea what density means.
The question is meant for everyone, if you answer it the way that people didn't get your message, then you haven't answered the question.
A philosopher will answer the question in a philosophical manner, an agriculturist will answer it differently, a scientist will answer it differently, an economist will have his own terms.
But those aren't necessary, it's a basic question that needs basic answer

I've answered it for both levels on the thread. I do understand there are bricklayers and danfo drivers on NL.

So whatever side of the spectrum you belong, I've provided answers that suit the level. You just need to read through my posts and see which one is for your community.

I don't claim I'm Charles Darwin or Isaac Newton. But, yes I'm a scientist.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by costandi(m): 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2023
CivilianJTF:
B

Archimedes principle: Weight of object immersed equals weight of liquid displaced.

B has negligible weight, occupying negligible space in the cup, hence more water in the cup.

#Secondary school physics#
Saying nonsense with confidence.

1 Like

Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by costandi(m): 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2023
Kingpin1000:
Following archimedes principle, it should be B.
B is the answer but not based on Archimedes' Principle.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by mu2sa2: 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2023
For those who choose B as the correct answer, what of if the paper clip is made of dense metal like osmium or platinum. If made of any of the two metals, the paper clip will be much heavier than the objects in the other jars and going by archimide's principle, as explained in the post above, will displace more water.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by DeepSight(m): 12:43pm On Apr 22, 2023
Nezan:

Is volume not directly proportional to weight? Stop arguing blindly

No it is not!
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by richmond500: 12:47pm On Apr 22, 2023
CaptainFM1:

I've answered it for both levels on the thread. I do understand there are bricklayers and danfo drivers on NL.

So whatever side of the spectrum you belong, I've provided answers that suit the level. You just need to read through my posts and see which one is for your community.

I don't claim I'm Charles Darwin or Isaac Newton. But, yes I'm a scientist.

U can't answer a question that suits all levels.
Since you try to bring my level here, Ur answer didn't suit my level cos if it does, you will be answering that question with a programming language like python.

So imagine a data analyst like me answering that question with python or just using the basic excel, I am sure 98% of NLders won't understand, Even u may not understand a single code I wrote.
So better to answer it the way it was asked.
Why am I even arguing this with u? Abeg goodnight, happy EID holiday...
One love
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by RepoMan007: 12:49pm On Apr 22, 2023
Donmobi:

That's the point.
1/3rd of the volume immersed displaces1/3rd volume of fluid.
Same goes if it's fully immersed, it displaces it's whole volume.
read your comment again and see if it makes sense that one third a ball will displace one third the water it is immersed in.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by CaptainFM1: 1:02pm On Apr 22, 2023
richmond500:
U can't answer a question that suits all levels.
Since you try to bring my level here, Ur answer didn't suit my level cos if it does, you will be answering that question with a programming language like python.

So imagine a data analyst like me answering that question with python or just using the basic excel, I am sure 98% of NLders won't understand, Even u may not understand a single code I wrote.
So better to answer it the way it was asked.
Why am I even arguing this with u? Abeg goodnight, happy EID holiday...
One love

What I'm saying is there are two answers I've giving on the thread.

One is looking at the face value of the items in the glasses.

And the other is the scientific methodology.

The two are on the thread. You wouldn't pick on the former because it's the common view, requires no stress, no logical thinking or fact based. Instead you jump right on the scientific approach even whilst you admitted that you are not a scientist.

I would never use your Python to answer the question because it's not my field. I'm sure if the question can be tackled with IT data's you would do justice from your point of view.

Happy wkend.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Xammie001(m): 1:06pm On Apr 22, 2023
The Mass of the Immersed water will settle this case because according to " Archimede's Principle states that a body immersed in a fluid experiences an upthrust equal to the weight of the fluid displaced, and this is fundamental to the equilibrium of a body floating in still water. A body floating freely in still water experiences a downward force acting on it due to gravity"
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Donmobi(m): 1:09pm On Apr 22, 2023
RepoMan007:
read your comment again and see if it makes sense that one third a ball will displace one third the water it is immersed in.
that's a law in physics friend.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by michoim(m): 1:14pm On Apr 22, 2023
B
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Burgerlomo: 1:27pm On Apr 22, 2023
B
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Stanislaus18(m): 1:28pm On Apr 22, 2023
chibestjerry:
A?
B?
C?
D?
Each of those objects immersed in the liquid displaced an equivalent volume of what they occupy according to Archimedes thus B has more water than the rest considering volume
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by BABAawoo47: 1:29pm On Apr 22, 2023
OllyArt:
B because a pin is the least in weight
volume

1 Like

Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Salesbay: 1:30pm On Apr 22, 2023
Some people are just arguing blindly.

Objects with different weights but the same volume (maybe size and shape) will displace the same volume of water provided they're both submerged in water.

Objects with different volumes but the same weight will not displace the same amount of water when submerged in water.

It is the volume that matters! I hate when people don't like taking to corrections.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Salesbay: 1:30pm On Apr 22, 2023
mrvitalis:

Yes ...if the weight of the water can't displace water enough it would float

Objects with different weights but the same volume (maybe size and shape) will displace the same volume of water provided they're both submerged in water.

Objects with different volumes but the same weight will not displace the same amount of water when submerged in water.

It is the volume that matters! I hate when people don't like taking to corrections.
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Moikiitos: 1:30pm On Apr 22, 2023
Take it to COURT

chibestjerry:
A?
B?
C?
D?
Re: Which Glass Has More Water? by Salesbay: 1:31pm On Apr 22, 2023
drlaykay:
You are very correct. Density of the fluid, which is a factor in determining it's mass and/or volume, has everything to do with the impurity of the liquid. But on a norm, we assume water is free of impurities unless told otherwise hence, my assertion.

I also did not completely agree with the answer as the weight of an object can't be determined by just looking at it. One can't say because it's bigger, then it's of bigger weight. I only tried schooling the PatrickOkunima who knows a law but didn't attend the laboratory when it's application was being taught. Imagine him saying one can't convert mass to volume. He could as well be an art student who Google is helping to participate in an argument so as to feel important.

Even the video he dropped, he doesn't understand it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Many Hands Formed This Beautiful Shape Of Love? / Bet9ja Blocked My Account After I Won More Than 1.1million Naira / Picture: Which Button Would You Press?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.