Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,258 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic (31954 Views)

Talented Nigerian Artist That Draws Hyper Realistic Portraits (photos) / I'm Scared About My Future, Career Wise / Drama As Scared Nigerian Cadet Refuses To Jump During Military Training. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by ositadima1(m): 1:59pm On Apr 28, 2023
You get family sef, some people never even marry and they are past 40.

7 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by greatopec: 1:59pm On Apr 28, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Your story will change for good

Amen
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by tobby20: 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders
I will be 40 on Oct 19 this year and I am scared the kind of life I have always desired may not be
achievable. Let me list these things that worries me so that you can probably advise me or assist me in achieving any of them.
1) By 40 I had wished I will be living in my house with cars in my garage
Current situation- I am a salary earner who eagerly waits for the salary to drop before my family can eat conveniently every month.
2)I love cars and driving. Was thinking of getting a good car for Uber business.
Current situation- I have not been able to gather enough money to buy a car for Uber or personal use.
3)Seeking greener pasture abroad.
Current situation- I have not been able to have enough disposable income to even get a passport to start with in the first place.
4)Self development. I had interest in programming so I decided to learn coding and all that. I started with free code camp and also this thread by iyenimofe on nairaland has been so helpful https://www.nairaland.com/1383359/learn-web-design-live-nairaland/6#17571611
The issue I have progressing is that of enough data subscription to watch more tutorials.
5)Acquisition of at least Masters.
I have a passion for learning and self development but I struggled to have my HND with distinction. Gathering enough funds to start my masters program has been an uphill task.

Little about my background
I am an HND graduate
I have a sister who am responsible for also.
I have a wife and two kids.
I work 8-5weekdays

Don’t lie u b 40
And u no fit afford data
Omor i shock

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by xevove2061: 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders
I will be 40 on Oct 19 this year and I am scared the kind of life I have always desired may not be
achievable. Let me list these things that worries me so that you can probably advise me or assist me in achieving any of them.
Current situation- I am a salary earner who eagerly waits for the salary to drop before my family can eat conveniently every month.
2)I love cars and driving. Was thinking of getting a good car for Uber business.
Current situation- I have not been able to gather enough money to buy a car for Uber or personal use.
Current situation- I have not been able to have enough disposable income to even get a passport to start with in the first place.
4)Self development. I had interest in programming so I decided to learn coding and all that. I started with free code camp and also this thread by iyenimofe on nairaland has been so helpful https://www.nairaland.com/1383359/learn-web-design-live-nairaland/6#17571611
The issue I have progressing is that of enough data subscription to watch more tutorials.
I have a passion for learning and self development but I struggled to have my HND with distinction. Gathering enough funds to start my masters program has been an uphill task.

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays

Forget that masters its a waste of time especislly in nigeria. Its sad that you are comimg to this realization at this age, usually, it gts harder (not impossible) to male the kond of money you dream of but when you are older with family that depends on you, it will be extremely difficult. How much do you earn monthly? You need to look for ways to add to your income and reduce your expenses.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by toprealman: 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2023
Tear the old script, start working with a new custom made failure- proof script! Only human have this advantage don't be caught up, you are not a lower animal!

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Litmus: 2:02pm On Apr 28, 2023
In order to uplift millions of Nigerians in OP's situation Nigeria requires an adequate Loaning/Credit industry. In the West, millions survive well only due to good credit score that enable them access borrowing. Op could have realised his Uber business dreams on borrowing from the banks of loans companies if Nigeria had the relevant sector in a robust form .

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by ayandee: 2:03pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays

I am glad you came to this realization. Not too late. Your wife has a lot of potential as NCE holder. Get a small space in a building around your area and let her start a creche/pre-school. She may need to do a short training course in montessori education usually, one month and design a programme that will help children of age 6months to 4 years.

I don't know how this will work with her egg business but I would have loved she combines the two. If she shows dedication and genuine interest in early childhood he education she can transition into a school later on. Banks support school owners who have potential for growth. I have seen people do this and now they even have secondary schools.

Programming is good. You need to push yourself hard enough to create time for it. It's rewarding if you have the skills.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Adakintroy: 2:04pm On Apr 28, 2023
Its not a must you must have a dream..look at me,I did not have a dream but am fine.

Some of you never had any dream. You just woke up to the reality that successfull people had dreams and vision so right away you started dreaming. Dont lie.

You know many do not have any dream when their dream is just to be rich. Nobody dream of being rich. You dream of doing something y you love. If you had such you would have been about it till date and some how would have done enough in it to be consider successful.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by obowunmi(m): 2:05pm On Apr 28, 2023
Accepting mediocrity is a great way to live a very normal life. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by greatopec: 2:05pm On Apr 28, 2023
blaquebelle:
How on earth do you want to be able handle all of these things at the same time? So you want to keep your 9-5, come back and do uber, learn coding, pursue masters too and maintain family life? Simultaneously? Haba mana! Cut yourself some slack. Stream line your interest and make clear goals. Focus on one at a time first and you will start to see progress. At the end of the day, not all of them will work out, but one will pave the way for the future you've always wanted. Best of luck.
grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Oluwomonext212(m): 2:06pm On Apr 28, 2023
It’s well ! With all you have said, I see no where you have quoted you are lazy ! You sound like an hardworking and goals chaser, but mind you life can be so unfair sometimes. I really don’t know how this may sound, but I will advice you to have a talk with God ur creator, do this as you work hard towards achieving your goals and see what He’s capable of doing !!!

I will be 40 next year as well, simple and happy family of four containing a boy, a girl, then my wife and I grin I was in your shoe bro, I could only think about what to eat at a point in life and I roasted pop corn at a point just to put food on the table. Even though I was full of potential but things hardly work out for me….. But the very moment I realized only God makes a man the moment my life took a new shape !

Pls, talk to your wife, talk to your mom, and let you all talk to God, only Him opens a new door and changes a man’s story’s ….. Pls keep doing what you know best and never relent on chasing ur dreams ! And one day, all this shall be a story smiley

greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays

4 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Pjoe238: 2:07pm On Apr 28, 2023
grin
dawnomike:
I am glad you came to the realization of this, but it is better late than never
Solution: Seek for other sources of income maybe online or a tangible side hustle. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin India hemp isn't good

What does your wife do for a living?

Also, seek to join co-operative societies where you can dave and later borrow money to buy the car you want for Uber.

Express all these to your wufe as well so that you both can make your goals a family project to strive at.

;DAbove all, no matter what happens, do not impregnate your wife with a baby for now... Cheers sir grin

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Seagodess(f): 2:08pm On Apr 28, 2023
WaleCapital:
I understand your pain, if you have a smartphone , there's a completely legal way to earn good money on your phone I can show you and maybe help start your journey to the life of your dreams, it's never too late my friend, it's only over when you quit , you can reach me on whatsapp+2349053972206
you wan teach am Yahoo abi
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Evii: 2:09pm On Apr 28, 2023
You graduated with Distinction (HND) and you've the dream of staying abroad, you can apply to schools in UK and you'll be granted scholarship (may not be full though) for your BSc then you move from there in achieving your dream of relocating abroad.
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by MiamiePizza(m): 2:10pm On Apr 28, 2023
I feel you need a side hustle and start making money else where to get you rbdrewm car, build a house, travel etc.

How will you accomplish this, you don't even have money. Okay... Start by learning some basic programming, graphic design and online marketing. You can learn all this for free on YouTube.

After, you search for remote jobs on dynamitejobs. Co, Upwork. Com, remotive. io, remotees. Com

Also pray. Everything will be fine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Emeskhalifa(m): 2:11pm On Apr 28, 2023
JoyousFurnitire:
If you're not in debt, be grateful and don't ever for any reason borrow from loan sharks.

Best advice cry

In fact, he should stay away from anything loan. cry

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Fatbam003: 2:13pm On Apr 28, 2023
Vinnie2000:

OP
If i want to be honest, I will say

YOU MARRIED TOO EARLY.

Since you have such lofty Dreams,

you would have Tried achieve 50% of them before you thought about marriage.
. So not marrying earlier would have afforded him the achievements he wanted

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by mechanics(m): 2:13pm On Apr 28, 2023
dawnomike:
Solution: Seek for other sources of income maybe online or a tangible side hustle.

Also, seek to join co-operative societies where you can dave and later borrow money to buy the car you want for Uber.

Express all these to your wufe as well so that you both can make your goals a family project to strive at.

Above all, no matter what happens, do not impregnate your wife with a baby for now... Cheers sir grin

The last sentence made me laugh.
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by abobote: 2:13pm On Apr 28, 2023
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by xandy84: 2:14pm On Apr 28, 2023
It's not only in Nigeria. How many Americans have cars in there garage? Less than 1 per cent. The rest have a car, pays mortgage for 30 years, refinance during hardship and extend the mortgage to another 10 years, finished paying at 65, retired at 70 and ready to die soon. Over 30 per cent of Americans can't even retire cos of bills. They have to work till they are about to die. Statistics shows 75 per cent of Americans live from paycheck to paycheck and household debt is at record high.
Back to OP, when we are young, we dreams of luxurious future and the older we get, we readjust to realities of life and trim our dreams. OP should focus of getting extra income, them can start saving to buy a land and start building a house and prepare for retirement.

Solsix:
That's the situation of many Nigerians don't loose focus u will get there

4 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by OdefaGirl(f): 2:14pm On Apr 28, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah I think he's allowing fake life on social media to get to him. Sometimes one needs to just go out and touch grass and be grateful for what one has and you should just keep the number of kids at 2. That's enough.

The truth is that we all have dreams which are not influenced by social media.... but the situation one tends to find self awakens, scares or threatens your dreams. Speaking up on social may be a turning point for him too

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Lionize: 2:15pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays
Hello, I was in your shoes. I was stuck. My situation was much better but if I hadn't taken the bull by the horn, I knew if things remained the way they were, I'll get to exactly where you are.
For me, I was a banker, I had two cars, two landed properties to my name, no house, married with little kids. I thought at 40 I would have quit banking,had a business rolling in cash everyday, pursued my academic dreams, and live the life.

The country is not a decent place for decent people. The efforts to live a decent life without compromises was frustrating. The system rewards evil, cultism, bribery, immorality, and I was not in on any of those.

Two years ago, I quit and left the country.

Warning: you must sacrifice something. Stop drinking beer, or indulging in anything that you know drains you financially (maybe infidelity).
That data thing you said, make sure you have that, and then chuk your head into that programming you mentioned, use YouTube and every available free resources - I did same thing and enter python.

Seek out scholarships abroad (not many places in Europe because of that hnd wey go carry).

Or if you have a link to any EU country, find money fall into any of them, seek for asylum, and in about 3 to 4 years time, you will be a changed person, you and your descendants.

You can also look at a viable business to start in Nigeria. I know you will say 'capital this, capital that', still, lol for a business and start.
Whatever happens, keep your head high, it is never too late to step out, but the earlier you do, the better.

On a lighter note, how you been Wan achieve those things wey you list up there, by working 8-5 with hnd in Nigeria?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by mechanics(m): 2:15pm On Apr 28, 2023
Join a cooperative and from there you can get loan to start the uber business, if your wife is not working, get her engaged with something profitable to do.

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by TT20: 2:15pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:
Good day Nairalanders

I am an HND graduate
I work 8-5weekdays

Ok
Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by bikefab(m): 2:15pm On Apr 28, 2023
Be thankful for all you've got, especially be thankful for good health. There's always a reason to be thankful

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by bionixs: 2:17pm On Apr 28, 2023
dawnomike:
Solution: Seek for other sources of income maybe online or a tangible side hustle.

Above all, no matter what happens, do not impregnate your wife with a baby for now... Cheers sir grin

God bless you sir. You are an asset

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by tobby20: 2:18pm On Apr 28, 2023
Lionize:

Hello, I was in your shoes. I was stuck. My situation was much better but if I hadn't taken the bull by the horn, I knew if things remained the way they were, I'll get to exactly where you are.
For me, I was a banker, I had two cars, two landed properties to my name, no house, married with little kids. I thought at 40 I would have quit banking,had a business rolling in cash everyday, pursued my academic dreams, and live the life.

The country is not a decent place for decent people. The efforts to live a decent life without compromises was frustrating. The system rewards evil, cultism, bribery, immorality, and I was not in on any of those.

Two years ago, I quit and left the country.

Warning: you must sacrifice something. Stop drinking beer, or indulging in anything that you know drains you financially (maybe infidelity).
That data thing you said, make sure you have that, and then chuk your head into that programming you mentioned, use YouTube and every available free resources - I did same thing and enter python.

Seek out scholarships abroad (not many places in Europe because of that hnd wey go carry).

Or if you have a link to any EU country, find money fall into any of them, seek for asylum, and in about 3 to 4 years time, you will be a changed person, you and your descendants.

You can also look at a viable business to start in Nigeria. I know you will say 'capital this, capital that', still, lol for a business and start.
Whatever happens, keep your head high, it is never too late to step out, but the earlier you do, the better.

On a lighter note, how you been Wan achieve those things wey you list up there, by working 8-5 with hnd in Nigeria?

You b God subconsciously for this write up
B4 u get something u must sacrifice something of equal value . Law of equivalent exchange

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by coputa(m): 2:18pm On Apr 28, 2023
It's not the one that starts the journey early that gets to the destination first.
The woodpecker had a boil at the two sides of his beak the day his mother died,he couldn't make a befitting coffin for her.
Life is usually not the way one plans it,it's a storm that blow at any direction.That said,our plans and aspirations are sometimes diverted and swayed in opposite directions, should I say it's caused by nature or bad luck.
Sometimes this delay may turn out to be good, because time reveals a lot of things.Work,plan and project but take whatever slice life gives to You.

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Salemacad: 2:20pm On Apr 28, 2023
First you need to note that running in a wrong direction no matter how fast is unproductive.Firstly your purpose should be your drive,from the look of things you are just guessing which part you will take to achieve success.
Secondly there is no defination for success,its personal and objective as well.
So define what you call success in line with your purpose,passion.
Avoid equating financial acquisition and material things as success though a form part of it but not all to it.
Furthermore put in mind the happiest people are not richest but those who found their part in meeting with the needs of humanity..

1 Like

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by Jameszinchenkov: 2:20pm On Apr 28, 2023
You no fit get importance for this life again. At that age. Na proletariat you go be till you die

2 Likes

Re: I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic by okoroemeka(m): 2:21pm On Apr 28, 2023
greatopec:

My wife is an NCE holder. She previously worked with a fast food Mon-Sun before she left to start trading in crates of egg.
No plan to have another child for now sir
I saw a quote that says salary is a bribe that is paid to someone to forget his dreams,I think this might be right in your situation.
You are very limited on what else you can hustle considering the cash flow and time to run such hustle,your best bet is on the internet,find a product or service you can render online,you like cars why not channel that passion to economic growth,recently we wanted to buy a Nigerian used 4runner truck for farm purpose and discovered that there is no organized thread for it on nairaland,if you live in Lagos or were there are lots of cheap used cars for sale you can go around take pictures of as many cars as possible,talk with the dealers and sellers to get a good discount,then post the cars here on nairaland,get a hustler in the car market that will be sending pics of new arrivals steadily,so you will have any car or truck available on your thread,you can even be selling cars without leaving your house and getting your commission,I remembered once I have sold a car in Lagos to someone in Lagos but I am in imo state and got my cut from the deal,think out of the box, impossible is nothing.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Discovery About Private Schools / She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back / The #nairalife Of A Finance Man In The Civil Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.